PDA

View Full Version : Power rankings big 12 per espn 2011

w0lfe
1/11/2011, 04:37 PM
I haven't had a chance to break down who has how many number of starters returning or a number of other factors, so this list could very easily (and probably will) change before we kick off spring practice in a few months, but with 2010 officially in the books, here's how the new-look Big 12 sits heading into 2011.

1. Oklahoma The Sooners look every bit the part of a national championship contender on paper. Proving it will be difficult come September.

2. Texas A&M The Aggies don't have the momentum heading into 2011 they'd like after losing the Cotton Bowl, but those six starts at the end of the year will pay off for Ryan Tannehill. Don't expect a dropoff from the defense, either, and the offensive line will continue to improve.

3. Oklahoma State If Brandon Weeden and Justin Blackmon both come back, I'll probably move the Cowboys up to No. 2, but for now, the wild-card Cowboys hang on to No. 3. Lots of exciting freshmen could become household names in 2011. Namely, RB Joseph Randle, CB/KR Justin Gilbert and LB Shaun Lewis.

4. Missouri Replacing Blaine Gabbert will produce growing pains, but the Tigers defense can be leaned on a bit next year with what should be a dominant defensive line. And, the truth is, the middle of the Big 12 is pretty fluid, not unlike 2010.

5. Texas. The talent is still there. New, young coaches with a lot to prove and a new purpose have made a new arrival. That could make a big difference for the Longhorns in 2011. Does Garrett Gilbert have some redemption in store for his junior year after a sophomore season that was nothing short of a disappointment (10 TD, 17 INT)? No quarterback in college football threw more picks.

6. Baylor. Look out for the Bears. The offense brings back an absolute ton of talent at the skill positions, and if new defensive coordinator Phil Bennett shores up a leaky defense, they could surprise a lot of people next year. Nine...perhaps 10 wins? Not impossible. Opening the season against TCU doesn't help, but the Bears will be fun to watch in 2011.

7. Texas Tech. The Red Raiders don't have a defensive coordinator or a quarterback...yet. That's not a recipe for success. File these guys under "Wait and see." Get ready for another year of a quarterback derby between Seth Doege, Jacob Karam, Michael Brewer and Scotty Young.

8. Kansas State. The Wildcats livelihood in 2010 was Daniel Thomas. He's gone. K-State fans have plenty of faith in the Wichita native Brown brothers, running back Bryce and linebacker Arthur, who transferred from Tennessee and Miami, respectively after being top-flight recruits. I'll wait and see. The upside is there, but right now, that's all it is: upside. Neither brother really tore it up at their previous address.

9. Iowa State. The Cyclones don't have a sure-thing quarterback, either, but Jerome Tiller should emerge from a three-man race that kicks off this spring. Linebackers Jake Knott and A.J. Klein exceeded expectations in 2010, and should be exciting to watch as juniors in 2011.

10. Kansas. Last place by default as of now. The Jayhawks found a piece to build around in running back James Sims. They need a few more. Kansas has some receivers who can get it done. But in the Big 12, you need a quarterback. KU needs Brock Berglund to be as good as advertised.

rekamrettuB
1/11/2011, 04:51 PM
2. Texas A&M The Aggies don't have the momentum heading into 2011 they'd like after losing the Cotton Bowl, but those six starts at the end of the year will pay off for Ryan Tannehill. Don't expect a dropoff from the defense, either, and the offensive line will continue to improve.

Does the previous year's bowl game mean anything...really?

Look at some previous champions and their bowl game preceding winning NC:

Bama '09 (lost to Utah...badly)
Florida '08 (lost to a lousy Michigan team)
LSU '03 (lost to Texas)
Ohio St '02 (lost to South Carolina)
Ou '00 (lost to Miss St)
FSU '99 (lost to Tennessee)
Tennessee '98 (lost to Nebraska)

BoulderSooner79
1/11/2011, 04:59 PM

It reflects the off season mood of the fan base. :)

BTW, interesting data you mined for us.

BillyBall
1/11/2011, 05:00 PM

LSU '03 (lost to Texas)
Ou '00 (lost to Miss St)

FYI, OU lost to Ole Miss not Miss State.

rekamrettuB
1/11/2011, 05:02 PM
FYI, OU lost to Ole Miss not Miss State.

You know for the life of me I can't ever remember that. I almost put Southern Miss. At least I was in the right state. That night is a little hazy. About the last thing I remember was them kicking the FG to win. Next thing I know it was the morning of 1/1/2000.

Mississippi Sooner
1/11/2011, 05:08 PM
You know for the life of me I can't ever remember that. I almost put Southern Miss. At least I was in the right state. That night is a little hazy. About the last thing I remember was them kicking the FG to win. Next thing I know it was the morning of 1/1/2000.

Though I hated to lose to anyone in Mississippi, I'm glad it was Ole Miss instead of State. The couple of Ole Miss grads I know talked a little good natured trash, but they shut right up after what we did the next year. There are a lot more State fans where I live, and I would still be hearing about it today if they had won that Independence Bowl.

And yeah, about the last thing I remember that day was the ball going through the uprights.

Salt City Sooner
1/11/2011, 05:29 PM
FIRE LES BINKLEY!!

Soonerjeepman
1/11/2011, 06:42 PM
Mizz fans really like their fr QB..played a few times this year...but don't we always love the guy coming in to replace...I will say unlike OU they do not have 3 guys coming back...so who knows>

OU_Sooners75
1/11/2011, 07:07 PM

LSU '03 (lost to Texas)
Ou '00 (lost to Miss St)

First mistake: it's OU not Ou.

Second mistake, it was a loss to Ole Miss, not Miss St.

Just throwing that out there.

badger
1/11/2011, 07:08 PM
I am amazed at how quickly football programs climb and fall in the Big 12 (11... 10...), except OU.

Just a few years ago, Kansas was one game from winning the Big 12 North, the Big 12 title game, the BCS Championship. ONE. Effing. Game! Well, if there's anything to be said about the big BCS bowls, it's something that you identify your season with if you don't have anything else (Kansas: "We won the Orange Bowl a few years ago!")

Mizzou remains the most underachieving program in the conference, so it's only just a tad bit ironic that they play Illinois every season now - the most underachieving program in the Big Ten (maybe that dishonor will go to Nebbish in a few seasons?)

Maybe now they should schedule UCLA (the Pac 10/12 underachiever) and Georgia (the SEC underachiever) too. How do we screw up having a big market in a big conference? Nobody knows! :rolleyes:

OU_Sooners75
1/11/2011, 07:10 PM
I am amazed at how quickly football programs climb and fall in the Big 12 (11... 10...), except OU.

Just a few years ago, Kansas was one game from winning the Big 12 North, the Big 12 title game, the BCS Championship. ONE. Effing. Game! Well, if there's anything to be said about the big BCS bowls, it's something that you identify your season with if you don't have anything else (Kansas: "We won the Orange Bowl a few years ago!")

Mizzou remains the most underachieving program in the conference, so it's only just a tad bit ironic that they play Illinois every season now - the most underachieving program in the Big Ten (maybe that dishonor will go to Nebbish in a few seasons?)

How so?

Yes they were 1 game away from winning the Big 12 North...but they were 2 games away from winning the Big 12 Championship...and if that happened, just 3 games from the National Championship. :P

BoulderSooner79
1/11/2011, 07:53 PM

What's even more amazing is the fanbase stays humble and doesn't get spoiled by this long term success. We fully understand there will be rebuilding years and that just pulling on a Sooner jersey does not transmorgrify a player into the next Bradford or Peterson. We go with the flow.

oudavid1
1/11/2011, 09:43 PM
How come there is only 10 teams?

and does anyone know where i can get a Boomer Sooner ringtone?

1. Oklahoma The Sooners look every bit the part of a national championship contender on paper. Proving it will be difficult come September.

Well..........lets get to work then.

soonercastor
1/12/2011, 10:35 AM
What's even more amazing is the fanbase stays humble and doesn't get spoiled by this long term success. We fully understand there will be rebuilding years and that just pulling on a Sooner jersey does not transmorgrify a player into the next Bradford or Peterson. We go with the flow.

what fan base are you talkin' 'bout?

texaspokieokie
1/12/2011, 10:43 AM
believe he's got the bears over rated.

new DC doesn't necessarily translate into "better defense".
JMHO

badger
1/12/2011, 10:58 AM
How so?

Yes they were 1 game away from winning the Big 12 North...but they were 2 games away from winning the Big 12 Championship...and if that happened, just 3 games from the National Championship. :P

Because they lost one game that season. Being undefeated in a BCS conference - especially in a year that the BCS champ had two losses - might have given them an in-route to the title game if they had not had that loss. Heck, they might have been considered for the title game even if they lost to us in the Big 12, similar to when we were in the 03 (technically 04) championship game.

That one game made all the difference. That's what I was getting at.

OUmillenium
1/12/2011, 11:01 AM

LSU '03 (lost to Texas)
Ou '00 (lost to Miss St)

Nice post. Data/logic that is foreign to media members.

OUmillenium
1/12/2011, 11:06 AM
So over 50% of the time since 98, the National Champ lost the previous season's bowl game.

MyT Oklahoma
1/12/2011, 11:20 AM
So over 50% of the time since 98, the National Champ lost the previous season's bowl game.

OMG.. we're doomed then. ;)