PDA

View Full Version : So Cammy's Rock was there...

rekamrettuB
1/11/2011, 11:19 AM
Despite what Drunksburger stated during the broadcast:

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/cam-newton-cecil-newton-auburn-tigers-questions-remain-after-championship-011011

GLENDALE, Ariz.
The toilet paper streamed down from the upper deck, “Family All In” signs waved in the crowd and the "War Eagle" fight song played on.

But in the midst of top-ranked Auburn celebrating a national title for the first time in more than five decades after defeating Oregon 22-19 in Monday night’s BCS Championship Game, its star quarterback Cameron Newton made his way to the University of Phoenix Stadium’s east side and climbed in to the first row of the stands.

Frenzied Tigers fans crowded him as they slapped his shoulder pads, snapped his photograph and yelled, “We love you Cam!” During it all, he was oblivious.

Instead, Newton carefully scanned the crowd higher up in the stands before finally motioning passionately for someone to come to him. When that didn’t happen, he walked along a row of seats to the aisle.

And after charging up several more rows, Newton finally found what he was looking for — his controversial father, Cecil Newton Sr.

Auburn had supposedly distanced itself from the elder Newton for trying to sell his son to Mississippi State for $180,000 without Cameron Newton’s knowledge in a pay-for-play scheme. But there he was with a hand wrapped around his son’s head as he hugged him and whispered in his ear.

“Who’s knows what went on or what happened?” said Auburn center Jordan Pugh, who witnessed the embrace. “But at the end of the day, that’s Cam’s father.”

And it’s because of Cecil Newton Sr. that you have to wonder whether Auburn will keep its national championship or eventually be stripped of it due to NCAA violations.

That was the last thing on Auburn’s mind after Monday night’s victory, but the first question for the rest of college football.

“We know everything is right,” defensive tackle Mike Blanc said. “We know everything that’s going on.”

But the reality is something different. The NCAA’s enforcement investigation in to Newton’s recruitment is ongoing.

The FBI has interviewed the person who reported Cecil Newton Sr.’s pay-for-play scheme to Mississippi State. The Mississippi secretary of state’s office has also interviewed people involved in it.

Those are just all the more reasons to wonder about the legitimacy of Auburn’s national championship.

Not that Cecil Newton Sr. apparently cares. For someone who the NCAA found tried to sell his son, he’s never admitted any wrongdoing, at least publicly.

If anything, his appearance at Monday night’s BCS Championship Game spoke plenty about him. It was an act of blatant defiance.

One that once again raises questions about Auburn’s commitment to adhering to NCAA rules. Before the game, Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs told reporters that Cecil Newton Sr. would not be in attendance by mutual agreement.

But by being here, Cecil Newton Sr. was once again right in the middle of everything, as he’s seemingly been all season. It’s a stigma that Auburn’s tried to rid itself of, but one that was reinforced forever Monday night.

Following X-rays on his back after the game, an aching Cameron Newton climbed on the back of a golf cart with an Auburn official. Asked what it was like to embrace his father after the game, the official told him not to answer the question.

With a smirk, Newton shook his head and was driven away. Expected to enter the NFL draft, the Heisman Trophy winner likely played his last game for Auburn.

Newton’s silence Monday night was just as telling as his father’s. It’s yet another reason why much of college football is asking whether Auburn will keep its national championship.

“Yeah,” defensive tackle Zach Clayton said. “I think so.”

But only time will truly tell.

85sooners
1/11/2011, 11:24 AM
Money taker

IndySooner
1/11/2011, 11:37 AM
Oh come on people, put away the tinfoil hats!

/sarcasm

rekamrettuB
1/11/2011, 11:38 AM
That was a pretty hot ticket. Wonder where he came up with that much coin on a preacher's salary?

Aries
1/11/2011, 11:40 AM
You know, I can understand thumbing my own nose at authority, but this seems to be a father who doesn't care if he destroys his kid.

Sooner_Tuf
1/11/2011, 11:48 AM
I'm sure he will go high in the draft but it would be fitting if he were to go undrafted.

LiveLaughLove
1/11/2011, 11:54 AM
On Cam:

"without his knowledge".

Wonder how they know that?

On the Dad:

Yet another "reverend" that isn't so much about being a man of the cloth, but rather a man of the world.

Wonder how backroom shady money dealings sit with the Almighty?

PhiDeltBeers
1/11/2011, 12:18 PM
On Cam:

"without his knowledge".

Wonder how they know that?

On the Dad:

Yet another "reverend" that isn't so much about being a man of the cloth, but rather a man of the world.

Wonder how backroom shady money dealings sit with the Almighty?

He was gonna give it all to the church. Duh!

soonerboy_odanorth
1/11/2011, 12:55 PM
He was gonna launder it all through the church. Duh!

FIFY

SoonerLB
1/11/2011, 01:26 PM
All hail the mighty $EC! ;)

Mark_in_Tulsa
1/11/2011, 01:38 PM
I thought before/during the game Auburn said it would be best for Cam and AU if Cam's pimp didn't go to the game so as not to be a distraction. So he would be watching the game on TV back home.

yermom
1/11/2011, 01:43 PM
You know, I can understand thumbing my own nose at authority, but this seems to be a father who doesn't care if he destroys Auburn.

FTFY

$Cam will likely be on an NFL roster next year. it's Auburn's decision to dance with the devil. i guess we'll see how it goes.

SoonerMom2
1/11/2011, 04:40 PM
ESPN announcers cannot even get that right after Cam had said earlier in the week both parents would be there. Will never forget the Heisman where Newton thanked his parents for the behind the scenes help.

Would bet money that Cam Newton knew exactly what his Dad was doing and probably agreed since he has no values with what he did academically at FL and with the computer.

Someone gave them the tickets because the parents were sitting in the section of Auburn parents so Auburn had to know he was going to be at the game. The "I/We didn't know" is wearing thin very fast.

Auburn deserves everything they get after the FBI completes their investigation and hope the rumors are true that it will touch their Board of Regents involved in the gambling business.

Have no respect for Auburn or the NCAA and their 3-day time period to declare Newton eligible with only "I didn't know" crap.

My two cents!

sooner518
1/11/2011, 06:41 PM
Following X-rays on his back after the game, an aching Cameron Newton climbed on the back of a golf cart with an Auburn official. Asked what it was like to embrace his father after the game, the official told him not to answer the question.
what the hell is wrong with these people? its like Mack's "Let me answer that for Vince" thing times 100000. I am so sick of hearing about these lying, cheating toolbags.