PDA

View Full Version : I thought Oregon was supposed to have the fastest tempo offense of all time?

SoonerPride
1/11/2011, 10:54 AM
After all the press hype about the Oregon offense I was expecting to see some blazing hurry up that left Auburn's tongues wagging and the cameras scrambling to keep up.

Ho hum.

I've seen OU's practice squad run a faster tempo offense.

Lame.

OUthunder
1/11/2011, 11:01 AM
They were simply no match for Auburn in the trenches. Honestly, they're lucky that the score was as close as it was.

Breadburner
1/11/2011, 11:02 AM
They sure kept hyping that before the game......

dwarthog
1/11/2011, 11:14 AM
They certainly didn't match the hype IMO.

Actually looked sort of sluggish, but these "show as many commercials as possible" championship games really have a way of affecting the rhythm's of these fast moving no huddle offenses.

BigTime1
1/11/2011, 11:16 AM
No doubt I was thinking the same thing...but I think they actually played a legit defense for the 1st time this year and their 80 different screens werent working and it through it all off

3rdgensooner
1/11/2011, 11:18 AM
UO's O-line didn't match up well with Auburn's. On the flip side, with Auburn having such a size advantage, their offense sure didn't take advantage of it.

85sooners
1/11/2011, 11:19 AM
:eek:

KantoSooner
1/11/2011, 11:27 AM
I heard some commentators talking about the 'withering pace' of Oregon's O and then mentioning that they ran 'as many as 85 plays a game'.

Doesn't OU (the real one, ours) typically run between 85-100 plays a game?

I really, really want to get one of these teams down for a good September game; when it's about 107 in the shade with 85% humidity.

Soonerfan88
1/11/2011, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I think I heard that their average is around 72 plays per game - not exactly up to OU's standard. :D

soonerboomer93
1/11/2011, 11:31 AM
Actually, not long ago some one posted an article that pointed out that OU has a "faster" no huddle, more plays per game and lower time between snaps.

CowboyMRW
1/11/2011, 11:37 AM
Isn't part of the reason they ran such fewer plays though because they had something like 25 scoring drives of 3 plays or less. That seems like it would have a big part in skewing the statistics

cccasooner2
1/11/2011, 11:39 AM
They certainly didn't match the hype IMO.

Actually looked sort of sluggish, but these "show as many commercials as possible" championship games really have a way of affecting the rhythm's of these fast moving no huddle offenses.

Commercials should not be a part of the game. I'm going to write my CongressPersons and demand action. If they don't do anything about it, I will demand they take no recesses. Wish me luck!!!

OK2U
1/11/2011, 11:44 AM
As of 1/11:
OU ran 1,211 plays for 6749 yards.
UO ran 1,024 plays for 6899.

OU had 187 more plays from scrimmage, but played in one more game than Oregon. STILL, that's a big difference.

dwarthog
1/11/2011, 12:00 PM
Commercials should not be a part of the game. I'm going to write my CongressPersons and demand action. If they don't do anything about it, I will demand they take no recesses. Wish me luck!!!

I'm right behind you, in a supportive kind of way. :D

blaine4oh5
1/11/2011, 12:06 PM
How can you say that they were lucky it was as close as it was. Oregon got into the redzone two times and didn't score? I think if Oregon didn't have Kevin Wilson calling plays for them last night, i garuntee they would have won.

They defiantly didn't have an answer for Auburn's d-line though. Fairley ate james lunch all night.

OUmillenium
1/11/2011, 12:29 PM
LOL, Kevin Wilson

2121Sooner
1/11/2011, 12:35 PM
I would be curious as to how many plays OU got off against Florida in the National Championship game a couple years ago.

We had the highest scoring team of all time that played at a frenetic pace and we only scored 14 points.

The layoff kills the rhythm and timing of offenses like ours, Oregons, and even Auburns for that matter.

Great game to watch last night and at times, Oregon had Auburn gassed. Their line just ultimately got dominated when it mattered.

EatLeadCommie
1/11/2011, 12:41 PM
Oregon's problem last night, apart from the part in the trenches, was the same as our problem was against Florida. When you run into a team that can extend the game with first downs and force you into some 3 and outs, it negates the advantage you have on everybody else during the season. That doesn't mean it's a bad offensive philosophy to have. It just means you better be able to match up in the trenches and your D better be ready to be on the field longer than it usually is because the other team is not going to be gassed in the 4th quarter.

soonergirlNeugene
1/11/2011, 01:14 PM
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/_gamergirlx_/OregonBCSKanye.jpg

blaine4oh5
1/11/2011, 01:35 PM
http://C:\Users\Blaine.Bacon\Pictures\kw.JPG

TheHumanAlphabet
1/11/2011, 01:37 PM
They kept talking about the number of plays/game uo ran... Isn't OU >>>> uo in number of plays?

3rdgensooner
1/11/2011, 01:39 PM
They kept talking about the number of plays/game uo ran... Isn't OU >>>> uo in number of plays?

^^^

As of 1/11:
OU ran 1,211 plays for 6749 yards.
UO ran 1,024 plays for 6899.

OU had 187 more plays from scrimmage, but played in one more game than Oregon. STILL, that's a big difference.

SoonerLB
1/11/2011, 01:42 PM
How can you say that they were lucky it was as close as it was. Oregon got into the redzone two times and didn't score? I think if Oregon didn't have Kevin Wilson calling plays for them last night, i garuntee they would have won.

They defiantly didn't have an answer for Auburn's d-line though. Fairley ate james lunch all night.

LOL! Although I do have to admit that while watching Oregon's futile attempts to run sideways or right into the arms of Auburn's defense, I said to myself a couple times "who's calling these plays, Kevin Wilson?"

SoonerPride
1/11/2011, 01:46 PM
LOL! Although I do have to admit that while watching Oregon's futile attempts to run sideways or right into the arms of Auburn's defense, I said to myself a couple times "who's calling these plays, Josh Heupel?"

FIFY

:D

stoopified
1/11/2011, 01:50 PM
OU 86.5 plays per game,UO 78.7 plays per game

Scott D
1/11/2011, 02:39 PM
poor Chip Kelly calling his own plays :D

soonergirlNeugene
1/11/2011, 08:14 PM
On a more serious note, I did think that the broadcast did a pretty fair job of limiting the amount of tv timeouts. During our last NC game I wondered if all the added timeouts for commercials was the reason we got away from using it.

tulsaoilerfan
1/11/2011, 10:33 PM
LOL! Although I do have to admit that while watching Oregon's futile attempts to run sideways or right into the arms of Auburn's defense, I said to myself a couple times "who's calling these plays, Kevin Wilson?"

Me too; what i saw of the first half looked like KW's blueprint on how to lose to good defenses; was not impressed one iota

Dwight
1/11/2011, 10:46 PM
I recall the announcers during the Fiesta Bowl say that OU has ran over 200 more offensive plays than the team in 2nd place.

East Coast Bias
1/12/2011, 06:06 AM
I thought Oregon looked very much like OU except our QB is much better. Their feature back is much faster but our receivers better with the underneath routes. I believe our offense would be tougher for Auburn to handle.....

boomermagic
1/12/2011, 11:38 AM

Oregon runs a lot of the same plays we run.. I saw the jail break screen many times and the little bubble screen as well.. Kevin Wilson was not calling plays for Oregon Obviously but we saw what happens when their line whips your line..

OK2U
1/12/2011, 12:13 PM
I recall the announcers during the Fiesta Bowl say that OU has ran over 200 more offensive plays than the team in 2nd place.
Yeah, but Oregon hadn't played their final game yet.
Also, having a extra game (conference championship) can inflate the number, when so many other teams don't play that extra game.

NormanPride
1/12/2011, 12:35 PM
200 plays more?

The only reason Oregon was even in the game at the end was because Auburn was too stupid to run it up the middle for 7 yards every play. I think the Oregon D celebrated for a solid minute the one time they stuffed that simple inside draw that Auburn was using. Pathetic.