PDA

View Full Version : Oregon made the same mistake OU did

Soonermagik
1/11/2011, 07:49 AM
They tried to run the ball at the heart of Auburn's defense on the goal line. Auburn, like Florida that year was ranked a lot lower in pass defense vs having one of the best rushing D's all year.

When you get to the goal line you must throw on these teams. You cannot pound it up the middle or try to get the edge running the ball. This is what cost OU the game against Florida. I thought Oregon would have seen this and known not to do it. Another reason I picked Auburn to win.

SC Sooner
1/11/2011, 08:19 AM
They tried to run the ball at the heart of Auburn's defense on the goal line. Auburn, like Florida that year was ranked a lot lower in pass defense vs having one of the best rushing D's all year.

When you get to the goal line you must throw on these teams. You cannot pound it up the middle or try to get the edge running the ball. This is what cost OU the game against Florida. I thought Oregon would have seen this and known not to do it. Another reason I picked Auburn to win.

Over and over and over again... Note to OC... when the run isn't working, think 2 words play action

OUinFLA
1/11/2011, 08:31 AM
I think AU could have won by about 2 td's.

The game reminded me a lot of the 95 game with NU and Fla.
Fla showed up all fast and light weight, thinking they were going to run all over and around the Huskers.
Then they discovered the reality of trench warfare and all their speed didn't mean much when you couldn't convert a 3rd and 1.

I think this was a turning point in SEC philosophy, you can do very well with speed, but you better have a line to make it count on those short yardage situations. That, and recruit very fast dbs. Seems to be a common trait in that conference.

EatLeadCommie
1/11/2011, 09:09 AM
I thought the bigger problem was not so much that they tried to run, but that they didn't have any power sets in their repertoire, apparently.

Soonermagik
1/11/2011, 09:17 AM
Power sets are fine, but I still don't think it would work. Do what got you down the field: PASS the ball!!!

KuppiKunta
1/11/2011, 09:20 AM
I noticed they did a lot of meerkatting in the red zone too....I think some OC's just pucker up.

winout
1/11/2011, 09:30 AM
I think AU could have won by about 2 td's.

Newton had at least two passes had they been on target were TD's. If he had a decent arm this would have been a blowout. They still put up over 500 yards of offense.

KantoSooner
1/11/2011, 09:31 AM
I think Oregon simply had not seen quality much (excuse me, Stanford) before this game, first. And second, their whole offense is based on very tight coordination. After more than a month off, they were a little off.

PhiDeltBeers
1/11/2011, 09:50 AM
Oregon relies too much on space to move the ball. With the shorter field it was tough on them because they simply didn't have the size and power of the Auburn D-line.

btb916
1/11/2011, 09:57 AM
Newton had at least two passes had they been on target were TD's. If he had a decent arm this would have been a blowout. They still put up over 500 yards of offense.

If only, if only...

The fact is he doesn't have a better arm and Auburn is not that good. They won because they have bigger, stronger linemen. Period, IMO. You've been running around touting Auburn as if they are spectacular; face it, man, if they were lined up with the other teams that won the national title even the last decade, they would be mediocre at best.

BoulderSooner79
1/11/2011, 10:23 AM
I agree they were silly to challenge Auburn's strength on the goal line. But I actually think the bigger mistake was doing it on their own goal line and taking the safety. That penalty that negated an 8 yard gain ended up being a killer, but I couldn't believe they tried to run up the middle from their own 1 when the Auburn D had been in their backfield all night.

But overall, I give the duck coaches credit for keeping the game close and earning a tie with 2:30 remaining. Auburn had the advantage in a majority of the match-ups and it could easily been a blow-out.

winout
1/11/2011, 12:41 PM
If only, if only...

The fact is he doesn't have a better arm and Auburn is not that good. They won because they have bigger, stronger linemen. Period, IMO. You've been running around touting Auburn as if they are spectacular; face it, man, if they were lined up with the other teams that won the national title even the last decade, they would be mediocre at best.

I never said they could play with teams in the past only they are better than any team this year. I basically think Newton is TE masquarading as a QB and they are only that position away from being considered among the best in the last 10 years. I was suprised at how easy he went down on some of his runs, was not very elusive.

Solid D
Solid kicking game
Solid skill position on O.Solid O line.

Seems like a good team to me.

IndySooner
1/11/2011, 12:47 PM
I HATE running out of the shotgun with a short field. Get up under center and pound the ball. Man, that drove me nuts. It was like '08 all over again.

Soonermagik
1/11/2011, 01:10 PM
They also ran too much zone read for my liking.

AlboSooner
1/11/2011, 01:16 PM
analogy is ok but it stops when considering OU ran the ball up and down Florida's throat, but failed to make one or two blocks at the goal line. imagine if OU scores from the one yard line in the NC game....we go up 21-7, and the game would be practically over since the Tebow team wasn't built to come back from behind.

SpankyNek
1/11/2011, 01:19 PM
Their QB did a HORRIBLE job of reading.

Look at the option pitch to the inside on the Oregon score in the 4th quarter. A good read. Good results (That play could have scored from anywhere on the field)

There were opportunities for Oregon to be successful running the ball, but the QB choked (Auburn deserves a lot of credit for this with their pressure, though.)

tcrb
1/11/2011, 01:23 PM
analogy is ok but it stops when considering OU ran the ball up and down Florida's throat, but failed to make one or two blocks at the goal line. imagine if OU scores from the one yard line in the NC game....we go up 21-7, and the game would be practically over since the Tebow team wasn't built to come back from behind.

I know it's an overused cliche, but.....Defense wins championships. Auburn's red zone D did the same thing to uo last night that florida's red zone D did to OU....they denied points and absolutely killed the uo Mo (not to even mention the the reversal of fortune created by the safety).

AlboSooner
1/11/2011, 01:30 PM
I know it's an overused cliche, but.....Defense wins championships. Auburn's red zone D did the same thing to uo last night that florida's red zone D did to OU....they denied points and absolutely killed the uo Mo (not to even mention the the reversal of fortune created by the safety).

I was more impressed with Florida's secondary, than their front. Our receivers simply couldnt get open, but even with that, if our center makes a block or two, we go into the halftime 21-7, and Tebow ain't beating us with his arm. How good was Percy Harvin....?

primetime43
1/11/2011, 01:33 PM
I still believe if Demarrco played we win.

primetime43
1/11/2011, 01:35 PM
I was more impressed with Florida's secondary, than their front. Our receivers simply couldnt get open, but even with that, if our center makes a block or two, we go into the halftime 21-7, and Tebow ain't beating us with his arm. How good was Percy Harvin....?

It would help if Iglesias and Manny could make a catch. Bradford put it there for them to make a play.

Soonermagik
1/11/2011, 01:35 PM

You're joking, right? Florida's secondary was not very good at all outside of Haden. Gresham was streaking down the field all game. Their secondary was constantly out of position. When they started to scoot back a little that's when OU started to have more success in the run game.

Soonermagik
1/11/2011, 01:37 PM

Where would you say it is the hardest to run the ball? We would all say in a goal line situation, because that's where they suspect it. They have to play up close, because there is no other place to go. This is where play action comes into play. Heck, slide a TE or FB out and look for a mismatch.

All I'm saying is you at least have to try to throw the ball a few times. Even if you don't get it they can't be as aggressive up front. It forces them to think about the passing aspect. A delayed zone read or running up the middle play doesn't work well against the stout front 7 of SEC defenses.

AlboSooner
1/11/2011, 01:38 PM
You're joking, right? Florida's secondary was not very good at all outside of Haden. Gresham was streaking down the field all game. Their secondary was constantly out of position. When they started to scoot back a little that's when OU started to have more success in the run game.

I was not joking. I remember our receivers not getting open, and Sam throwing a couple of pics, while I also remember Chris Brown gaining ten yards here and ten yards there...Gresham was the only guy who had any kind of space against them,

Where would you say it is the hardest to run the ball? We would all say in a goal line situation, because that's where they suspect it. They have to play up close, because there is no other place to go. This is where play action comes into play. Heck, slide a TE or FB out and look for a mismatch.

All I'm saying is you at least have to try to throw the ball a few times. Even if you don't get it they can't be as aggressive up front. It forces them to think about the passing aspect. A delayed zone read or running up the middle play doesn't work well against the stout front 7 of SEC defenses.

In theory you are right. However, Wisconsin scores last night form the one yard line. OU center allowed the Fla defender to come unblocked and stuff CB in the backfield. It's one thing to be overpowered, and its one thing to miss your block. It's easier to make the ball travel one yard to score it, then to make it travel 8,9 or ten.

primetime43
1/11/2011, 01:42 PM
I was not joking. I remember our receivers not getting open, and Sam throwing a couple of pics, while I also remember Chris Brown gaining ten yards here and ten yards there...Gresham was the only guy who had any kind of space against them,

The problem is they weren't used to people running with them. So while they weren't wide open there were still some plays to be made. I remember the first play of the game when we went deep with Manny. Thought the ref could have called PI.

btb916
1/11/2011, 01:43 PM
I never said they could play with teams in the past only they are better than any team this year. I basically think Newton is TE masquarading as a QB and they are only that position away from being considered among the best in the last 10 years. I was suprised at how easy he went down on some of his runs, was not very elusive.

Solid D
Solid kicking game
Solid skill position on O.Solid O line.

Seems like a good team to me.

Good team, I sure agree with that. But you've been in every post I've seen lauding Auburn as if they were the gods of football. If you're an Auburn fan I can't understand why you're on a Sooners board. You know Auburn won't be in the national title game next year to face us, right? Won't be anywhere near it without Newton.

stoopified
1/11/2011, 01:43 PM
I just think it is crying shame both teams couldn't lose.

tcrb
1/11/2011, 02:59 PM

OUr receivers were open plenty...they just couldn't hold onto the ball when it hit them in the hands because the uf db's were knocking the crap outta them, and the refs were letting them play.

And I hate to use another cliche, but....If my aunt had balls.....

We can come up with all the ifs and buts we want to, but the reality is, the uf defense made the stops at the goal line when they needed to. They made plays, OUr guys didn't.

Okie35
1/11/2011, 03:34 PM

In theory you are right. However, Wisconsin scores last night form the one yard line. OU center allowed the Fla defender to come unblocked and stuff CB in the backfield. It's one thing to be overpowered, and its one thing to miss your block. It's easier to make the ball travel one yard to score it, then to make it travel 8,9 or ten.

All the passes Sam threw ints were catchable. They touched the receivers hands first. Either way UF's secondary was everywhere. Tight ends are always open because they are usually working on LBs which are mismatches in most cases.

Scott D
1/11/2011, 03:53 PM

That's their offense. I still LOL when I think back to Mike Bellotti talking up Landry Jones by talking about how hard Oregon recruited him, and that Jones would have been very very successful in the Oregon system.

agoo758
1/11/2011, 03:56 PM
They didn't run a single snap under center if I remember correctly. It is probably not in their playbook, but they needed to run a power I in those goal line situations.

Okie35
1/11/2011, 04:03 PM
That's their offense. I still LOL when I think back to Mike Bellotti talking up Landry Jones by talking about how hard Oregon recruited him, and that Jones would have been very very successful in the Oregon system.

Landry did run an electrifying 4.7 coming out of HS. :D