PDA

View Full Version : Clayton Recovering Well (article)

Aries
1/11/2011, 07:30 AM
http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Clayton-Recovering-Well/ba5245b4-e1e8-41fa-ba8d-bd386d2f7cff

Clayton Recovering Well

By Nick Wagoner/Senior Writer

Since he was a young wide receiver growing up in Oklahoma City, Mark Clayton has loved football.

To have it taken away from him is akin to having one of the things you love most robbed from you unexpectedly.

To say that the days, weeks and months following his season ending patella tendon injury suffered on Oct. 10 against Detroit have been difficult would be quite an understatement.

“I would say it was heartbreaking,” Clayton said. “It was tough because it’s something you have been doing since you were 6 years old and you liked it and you love it and on top of that you know what you can do. To see the other guys go out, enjoy themselves, have fun and make plays and do all that stuff, it’s like ‘Man, I know I can do all of that stuff. And then wanting to help your team, especially being in that position to win a game and be in the playoffs…but I just wanted to help the team win games and strive to win a Super Bowl.”

Before Clayton suffered that injury on the second play of the Rams’ first offensive drive in that early October loss to the Lions, he had emerged as the team’s top receiving target.

In a bigger picture sense, Clayton had begun to set down the type of roots that he believed could make St. Louis his football playing home for the long term.

In terms of production, Clayton had clearly become quarterback Sam Bradford’s top target, forming a sort of Oklahoma connection that immediately shot Clayton to the top of the depth chart at receiver.

Acquired in a preseason trade with Baltimore on Sept. 6 for the pittance of exchanged late-round draft picks, Clayton caught on to the Rams’ offense so quickly he started the opener against Arizona and quickly established himself in the system.

In the first four games plus those two measly plays in Detroit, Clayton had racked up 22 catches for 300 yards and two touchdowns, which led the team in all of those categories.

“We certainly don't feel good about losing Mark because he's made a lot of plays for us, but we have to find a way to overcome that somehow,” coach Steve Spagnuolo said at the time.

In looking to overcome Clayton’s loss, the team turned to a green group of receivers with little in the way of experience.

Since he couldn’t play, Clayton made it a point to try to be around the facility as much as possible and help provide guidance to the young wideout corps.
Clayton was around the building all the time, even attending some meetings and was there to help offer advice when needed.

Even in the day after the Rams’ disappointing season ending loss to Seattle, Clayton was there to help rookie receiver Danario Alexander after he missed a pair of big play opportunities.

“I had a game on the line, end of the game, I dropped a ball and we lose the game basically and I’m like ‘Yeah, it happens,’” Clayton said. “It’s devastating, it burns but you don’t know it know, that burn, you are going to use that and progress and be a great receiver.”

Clayton’s guidance on and off the field was beneficial to the young group and he was proud of the way guys like Alexander, Brandon Gibson and Danny Amendola stepped up in his stead.

“I am, exceptionally,” Clayton said. “They stepped up. We have a really young, talented bunch. I am just excited to be a part of that and grow with them.”

Therein lies the rub. Pending the resolution of collective bargaining agreement issues, Clayton is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent this offseason.

Although he had just four plus games with the Rams, he made enough of an impression on general manager Billy Devaney and the organization for them to acknowledge that retaining him is something they’d like to accomplish this offseason.

Clayton, who says he enjoyed his time in Baltimore but felt like his new beginning in St. Louis was a perfect opportunity, is emphatic in stating he’d like to stay with the Rams.

“A lot,” Clayton said. “I really want to be here. I was really excited about coming. I am totally committed to the organization and everything, the players. I love Sam. I got to develop relationships with the guys on the defense and the offense. I love the relationships, I love the organization, the coaches are awesome. Coach is passionate and I relate to that and I would love to be here.”

One major factor in that equation will certainly be Clayton’s rehabilitation from the injury.

Clayton said he began running a couple of weeks ago and in regular meetings with doctors and the training staff, he’s been told that he’s making progress at a rapid rate.

“I am coming along great,” Clayton said. “I started running last week, ran about three times, it was good. So I am just progressing from there, building from there and from what the doctors and everybody say, I am a lot further along than regular schedule so I just try to keep it at that pace.”

Clayton experienced some soreness after the initial running session but says he felt much better after the next two and is progressively making improvements with each turn.

“I know coming back into it, you want to ease your way but the thing about it when you keep going further and further is the recovery,” Clayton said. “After a hard day or whatever it was that you did, seeing how you feel afterwards or seeing how you feel the next day is a tell tale of where you are at and so far it’s been great. I ran, got sore, shut it down, came back, did it again and next day was fine. We continue to progress from there. So far, so good.”

soonergirlNeugene
1/11/2011, 09:30 AM
Great article. Glad to hear he's on the mend :)

Soonerfan88
1/11/2011, 09:52 AM
Hope he fully recovers and has a very productive career with the Rams. Mark was a great Sooner and I predicted great things for him in the NFL. IMO, thought he was underutilized by the Ravens.

Lawton4Life
1/11/2011, 10:54 AM
Clayton was born in OKC, but didnt he go to HS in Arlington?

stoopified
1/11/2011, 02:05 PM
Good luck Mark

Mad Dog Madsen
1/11/2011, 02:09 PM
Clayton was born in OKC, but didnt he go to HS in Arlington?

Yes... Sam Houston High.