PDA

View Full Version : DeLay Sentenced to 3 Years in Money Laundering Case

AlboSooner
1/10/2011, 06:50 PM
Mr. DeLay, once one of the most powerful and polemical Republican congressmen in the state’s history, was ushered out of Travis County Court after the sentencing and was taken by sheriff’s deputies to the county jail, where he was expected to post a $10,000 bond and be released pending an appeal. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/11/us/politics/11delay.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

KABOOKIE
1/10/2011, 07:00 PM
Obama should be next.

2121Sooner
1/10/2011, 07:04 PM
Hope he likes honeybuns

waynepayne
1/10/2011, 07:16 PM
Hope he likes honeybuns

4 out of 5 prisoners do...

SicEmBaylor
1/10/2011, 07:21 PM
I'm glad the corrupt SOB was convicted. However, is he really that big a threat to society that tax payers should have to pay for his incarceration for three years? Couldn't the courts have found a more creative way for DeLay to repay his debt to society?

Considering all of the big government programs he supported and help create and expand, I think he has already cost the American tax payers more than enough.

2121Sooner
1/10/2011, 07:33 PM
I'm glad the corrupt SOB was convicted. However, is he really that big a threat to society that tax payers should have to pay for his incarceration for three years? Couldn't the courts have found a more creative way for DeLay to repay his debt to society?

Considering all of the big government programs he supported and help create and expand, I think he has already cost the American tax payers more than enough.

They were gonna have him play QB for the Eagles, but that position is already filled.

cccasooner2
1/10/2011, 07:36 PM
Put him on a chain gang. He should pay his way.

waynepayne
1/10/2011, 07:38 PM

make him bake honeybuns for those 3 years. It'd make him real popular with the fellas ;)

cvsooner
1/10/2011, 07:58 PM
In other words, without further Delay...

SanJoaquinSooner
1/10/2011, 08:19 PM
Only 3 years? should have given him 10 years, just for that $hit-eating grin he wore.

SCOUT
1/10/2011, 11:20 PM
I am not too familiar with the specifics of his case, but from what I saw he deserved jail time. With that said, I do have to give the guy credit. When he was arrested and photographed, he dressed in his best suit and put on a big smile.

Sure he is still sleazy, but it sure made it hard for the media to show this horrible mug shot of him. :D

okiegirl
1/11/2011, 06:13 AM
But Charlie Rangle not only walks the earth as a free man, he is still a member of congress.

That being said, it does look like a duck and quack like a duck...so he laundered money and deserves what he gets.

SpankyNek
1/11/2011, 10:02 AM
But Charlie Rangle not only walks the earth as a free man, he is still a member of congress.

That being said, it does look like a duck and quack like a duck...so he laundered money and deserves what he gets.

I don't believe that Mr. Rangle has been convicted of anything in criminal court.

I am surprised that Mr. Delay is able to get a post sentencing bond, and will be awaiting appeal as a free man....do you think that Capone would be treated this way today?

GrapevineSooner
1/11/2011, 11:55 AM
I don't believe that Mr. Rangle has been convicted of anything in criminal court.

I am surprised that Mr. Delay is able to get a post sentencing bond, and will be awaiting appeal as a free man....do you think that Capone would be treated this way today?

Correct. Rangel was merely convicted by a jury of his peers in the House. Not in any criminal court.

As for Delay, I think he's the posterchild of Republican political excess. As for whether the sentence is too harsh, too lenient, or just right, I suppose you could find any example you want in the criminal justice system, compare it to this one, and form an opinion on it.

Myself, I really don't care that much one way or the other. He's convicted and powerless. And a ******nozzle.

mgsooner
1/11/2011, 12:02 PM
The Hammer!