PDA

View Full Version : Governor Fallin

soonerbub
1/10/2011, 01:10 PM
is addressing her people with snow covered mics
that is all

C&CDean
1/10/2011, 01:13 PM
Is her trooper boy asking her to come a little closer and speak into the microphone?

soonerbub
1/10/2011, 01:15 PM
she just invoked the Thunder steppin on Mick's toes
really she did

Mjcpr
1/10/2011, 01:21 PM
Is there a law that these things have to be outside?

badger
1/10/2011, 01:36 PM
She said that her favorite colors are orange, crimson and blue - THUNDER blue.

Yeah, she's a Poke. If I am ever elected governor, I am going to forgo the Poke pandering.

Aldebaran
1/10/2011, 01:42 PM
If she only pandered to pokes, she wouldn't be electable.

badger
1/10/2011, 02:31 PM
Hell, anyone with an "R" attached to their name would have won this year. The real battle was against Brogdon for the "R" nomination.

I am happy for Fallin, because she's made history and she ran one of the most cordial campaigns toward her opponent that I've ever seen for a major office like governor, but I voted for Askins based on comparing their resumes, knowing full well that Askins had no chance this year based on the "D" attached to her name.

Fallin-R beat Askins-D. It happens. It happens both ways. "D" candidates nationwide fared a lot better than "R" candidates in 2008 and 2010.

okie52
1/10/2011, 02:42 PM
Hell, anyone with an "R" attached to their name would have won this year. The real battle was against Brogdon for the "R" nomination.

I am happy for Fallin, because she's made history and she ran one of the most cordial campaigns toward her opponent that I've ever seen for a major office like governor, but I voted for Askins based on comparing their resumes, knowing full well that Askins had no chance this year based on the "D" attached to her name.

Fallin-R beat Askins-D. It happens. It happens both ways. "D" candidates nationwide fared a lot better than "R" candidates in 2008 and 2010.

Not in 2010 they didn't. Dems fared much worse.

badger
1/10/2011, 02:54 PM
Not in 2010 they didn't. Dems fared much worse.

check that - 2006 and 2008.

OUthunder
1/10/2011, 03:11 PM
I voted for Askins as well, but I have no problem at all with a little slut in the state's highest office.

okie52
1/10/2011, 03:40 PM
OK did miss an opportunity with Askins...state could have had 1st woman and lesbo all in one vote.

SbOrOiNaEnR
1/10/2011, 03:56 PM
If you listen back to Fallin taking the oath of office, I PROMISE she says "support, obey, and offend the Constitution of the United States."

Also, anyone catch her say Statehood Day was October 16 during the inaugural speech?

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2011, 03:57 PM
So we have the "Fallin is a slut" versus the "Askins is a lesbo" pissing match.
:gary:

3rdgensooner
1/10/2011, 04:03 PM

Those are the only two options for women in leadership.

saucysoonergal
1/10/2011, 04:39 PM
If I were Gov. I would be Saucy the Chaste.

KABOOKIE
1/10/2011, 04:55 PM
If I were Gov. I would be Saucy the Chaste.

Governor of what Mamby Pamby Land?

MR2-Sooner86
1/10/2011, 05:01 PM
What's going on? Is there something going on at the capital today or something?

2121Sooner
1/10/2011, 05:04 PM
Uh.....it's PALIN and she isnt the governor of Alaska anymore.

Man, you people is so stupid.

oumartin
1/10/2011, 05:13 PM
I voted for Fallin cuz I heard she's a slut.

If those rumors come out about Palin being easy and if she runs I'll vote for her too.

I'll never vote for a lesbo or a n.....democrat.

OUthunder
1/10/2011, 05:39 PM
:gary:

It's the off season Leroy.

soonerbub
1/10/2011, 09:01 PM
If you listen back to Fallin taking the oath of office, I PROMISE she says "support, obey, and offend the Constitution of the United States."

Also, anyone catch her say Statehood Day was October 16 during the inaugural speech?

Absolutely she did!!

I found it interesting that the state oath includes taking no bribes--lotsa folks have not heeded that through the years!!

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2011, 10:20 PM
So are you guys going to snivel about Fallin throughout her entire term, or is there a point where you will get over it?

OUMallen
1/11/2011, 10:42 AM
So are you guys going to snivel about Fallin throughout her entire term, or is there a point where you will get over it?

Depends on if she keeps lying.

In yesterday’s inaugural address, Governor Mary Fallin closed her speech with a story about an encounter she had with World War II Veteran Ed Vezey. Mr. Vezey is the last known survivor of the battleship USS Oklahoma, which was sunk by Japanese in the attack on Pearl Harbor.
In the speech, Governor Mary talked about some of the things she claimed to learn from her visit with Mr. Vezey. Some of it she even recalled in “vivid detail.” Here’s the text from Governor Fallin’s address:
Years ago, I had the opportunity to meet a man named Ed Vesey [sic] and hear his story. Ed is believed to be the last person living who was aboard the USS Oklahoma during the attack on Pearl Harbor. And I’ve been thinking a lot about something he once told me.
Ed, who is 90 years old and lives in Moore, told in vivid details his personal story of events on the USS Oklahoman that fateful day. He still feels the pain of the loss of his good friend and roommate during the surprise attack. He remains appreciative to this day to his fellow midshipmen on the USS Maryland who pulled him from the debris and body filled waters. After the Navy, Ed finished college and became an engineer and traveled around the world on business, and had a large family with his wife. Ed has lived a full life and his motto is simple:
“Life is one whale of an adventure. Grab hold, and go with it”
So, Ed, on this day, when we begin a new important – yet promising – adventure, we will heed your advice. We are grabbing hold of the opportunities and challenges before us as we go to work for the people of Oklahoma; and today marks our start. So let’s get busy!
Wow. What a touching story. In fact, it’s so touching that KOSU reporter Gail Banzet filed and aired a similar story about Mr. Vezey… last week. From the KOSU website:
Ed Vezey is believed to be the last Oklahoman living who was aboard the USS Oklahoma during the attack on Pearl Harbor Dec. 7, 1941. I recently met with the 90-year-old at his home in Moore and talked with him about that fateful day, a memory that never fades…
Interesting how the first paragraph of the NPR report sounds a lot like Governor Mary’s first few words about the topic. Coincidence, right? Here’s more from the KOSU report:
Ed rode down into the water with the ship as it turned on its side. He remembers how the oil in the water made it almost impossible to swim, but he made it to the nearby USS Maryland.
“I swam over to the Maryland, the ship we were tied up next to, and I was all slimy with oil,” Ed said. “I couldn’t pull myself aboard so some guys threw me a line off the Maryland.”…
And more…
Pictures of World War II memorials and the USS Oklahoma hang on Ed’s walls, and he doesn’t mind talking about Pearl Harbor, but there are some stories still too painful to tell. To this day, he’s saddened by the loss of his roommate and best friend Frank Flaherty who died in the attack.
“One thing you find out by going through something like Pearl is how you react in a real emergency,” he said. “You don’t really know until you get put right to the gun.”
After the Navy, Ed finished college and became an engineer for GE. He’s lived all over the U.S. and traveled internationally for 57 years until his retirement. With seven children and multiple grandkids, he now lives in Moore close to one his sons. Few people get the chance to live a life like Ed’s and his motto is simple.
“Life is one whale of an adventure. Grab hold and go with it,” he said.
First of all, we have learned through the Ogle Mole Network that Mr. Vezey claims that the only time he’s ever spoken about some of the specifics of his story – specifics that Mary Fallin specifically recalled in “vivid detail” from her speech – occurred when he was interviewed by KOSU…a few weeks ago…by reporter Gail Banzet.
If that’s true, do you know what it means?
Mary Fallin – Yes, that Mary Fallin – appears to be stealing stories from National Public Radio and then passing them off as her own. Let me repeat, Mary Fallin appears to be stealing stories from National Public Radio and then passing them off as her own.
In other news, Mary Fallin also aced her ACT, is fluent in Latin and is a certified Six Sigma Black Belt.
Anyway, although stealing stuff like that is a weird and tacky thing to do, I guess it could be worse. She could be stealing stories from Hee Haw or the chain emails that your uncle forwards to you. And if she ever uses obscure car knowledge as an analogy in a speech or accidentally calls Tulsa World reporter Randy Kriebel “Zorba” during a press conference, at least we’ll know why.
Also, maybe the next time Mary sees or hears of a news story on the radio, television or in print, she’ll just cite the story instead of fabricating a personal connection to it. For example, instead of saying “Years ago, I had the opportunity to meet a man named Ed Vezey and hear his story,” instead say, “Last week, I learned about a man named Ed Vezey on the local radio.”
If she does this, instead of coming off as a lying politician trying to sheepishly associate herself with an a honored wartime veteran, she’ll come off a bit more genuine. And if she does that, maybe people across the state will warm up to her a bit. Perhaps her approval rating will improve and her original supporters will forgive her for selling out to big corporate interests.
But then again, all this can still be a coincidence. And Mary Fallin could also have aced that ACT.
p.s. – Hope to have a statement by the Governor’s Office sometime today.

http://www.thelostogle.com/2011/01/11/the-one-where-governor-mary-fallin-steals-a-story-from-public-radio

Midtowner
1/11/2011, 10:48 AM
In typical Fallin fashion, she knows the Oklahoma media. Ignore a story long enough and it'll go away.

C&CDean
1/11/2011, 11:13 AM
Y'all get over your Fallin hate. She'll do the same thing as your boy did. Nothing. Now if she'll keep herself out of sight and hidden like Henry did it's a double bonus.

3rdgensooner
1/11/2011, 11:16 AM
Anyway, although stealing stuff like that is a weird and tacky thing to do, I guess it could be worse. She could be stealing stories from Hee Haw or the chain emails that your uncle forwards to you. And if she ever uses obscure car knowledge as an analogy in a speech or accidentally calls Tulsa World reporter Randy Kriebel “Zorba” during a press conference, at least we’ll know why.

Also, maybe the next time Mary sees or hears of a news story on the radio, television or in print, she’ll just cite the story instead of fabricating a personal connection to it. For example, instead of saying “Years ago, I had the opportunity to meet a man named Ed Vezey and hear his story,” instead say, “Last week, I learned about a man named Ed Vezey on the local radio.”

Yeah, weird decision on her part.

C&CDean
1/11/2011, 11:19 AM
If that's the worst thing our new Governor does then I'm OK with it.

SpankyNek
1/11/2011, 11:26 AM
If that's the worst thing our new Governor does then I'm OK with it.

It has been well publicized that she has already done worse with a certain highway patrolman.

saucysoonergal
1/11/2011, 11:27 AM
I wondered why there were so many patrolmen there yesterday, now I know, they were just waiting their turn. ;)

C&CDean
1/11/2011, 11:33 AM
It has been well publicized that she has already done worse with a certain highway patrolman.

Sucking a guy's dick is not worse than lying.

Of course you guys on the far left find both of those things great qualities in a leader...

Midtowner
1/11/2011, 11:48 AM

I would think that it would depend on what sort of lie and whose dick was being sucked, don't you think?

Not all lies or cawks are created equal.

Fallin once ran on the "faith/family/freedom" ticket, so charges of hypocrisy tend to ring true. That said, the trooper issue was a long time ago. If we want to make the case that she's a bad leader, surely there's more fertile ground than that?

Taxman71
1/11/2011, 11:48 AM
At least she let Leon Russell play for over an hour last night at the ball. Those of us who stayed, got a good show.

SpankyNek
1/11/2011, 11:51 AM

Of course you guys on the far left find both of those things great qualities in a leader...

First, I am not on the far left.

Second, I have never voted for a leader that was known to have sucked dicks. (But probably would have if Hillary had won the primary.....actually, not so sure she goes down...probably a bad example)

Third, have you ever lied? Are you honestly going to tell me that if you have, you have committed a sin far worse than sucking a dick?

Fourth, it is not about the act, but the context of it. I don't think that you can find many folks that would defend adultery, but around here, who knows?

OklahomaTuba
1/11/2011, 12:17 PM
Second, I have never voted for a leader that was known to have sucked dicks.So you didn't vote for Obomba? Dude's gotta keep the first wookie happy somehow.

And wasn't Barry accused of having an affair with a gay guy who he snorted coke with?

C&CDean
1/11/2011, 12:19 PM
First, I am not on the far left.

Second, I have never voted for a leader that was known to have sucked dicks. (But probably would have if Hillary had won the primary.....actually, not so sure she goes down...probably a bad example)

Third, have you ever lied? Are you honestly going to tell me that if you have, you have committed a sin far worse than sucking a dick?

Fourth, it is not about the act, but the context of it. I don't think that you can find many folks that would defend adultery, but around here, who knows?

1. I've seen your posts on here. In California you'd be moderately left. In OK, you're a flamer.

2. I'm pretty sure your girl Hillary has never sucked a dick. Went down on a muffin? No doubt, but no dick.

3. Yes I've lied. What's your point? No I haven't commited a worse sin that sucking a dick.

4. Nobody is defending adultery. You just have to remember it was your side that made adultery an OK thing, not mine.

OklahomaTuba
1/11/2011, 12:22 PM
She'll do the same thing as your boy did. Nothing. I seriously doubt that.

She has a historic chance to really push thru some major reforms in this state (taxes, etc), now that OK is nearly all red.

Remember, Oklahoma has been primarily ruled by the donks since Statehood. Now, it isn't for once.

C&CDean
1/11/2011, 12:24 PM
I ain't holding my breath Tuba.

OklahomaTuba
1/11/2011, 12:25 PM
One other thing to consider is she is probably in the best position to succeed Coburn or Inhofe once they retire. Coburn retires in 6 years (unfortunately), so my bet is on that.

So she has a lot of stuff to do to get ready for that.

3rdgensooner
1/11/2011, 12:27 PM
Remember, Oklahoma has been primarily ruled by the donks since Statehood. Now, it isn't for once.
Now it's the badonkadonks turn.

Midtowner
1/11/2011, 12:34 PM
I seriously doubt that.

She has a historic chance to really push thru some major reforms in this state (taxes, etc), now that OK is nearly all red.

Major tax reform can't really happen right now. We're in the middle of a $500MM budget shortfall and the money has to come from somewhere. The major places left to cut will do a lot of damage to social programs because we'll lose federal matching funds. Education is already 49th out of 50. Our roads and bridges are a mess.

What cuts would you make so we can lower taxes?

SpankyNek
1/11/2011, 12:35 PM
1. I've seen your posts on here. In California you'd be moderately left. In OK, you're a flamer.

2. I'm pretty sure your girl Hillary has never sucked a dick. Went down on a muffin? No doubt, but no dick.

3. Yes I've lied. What's your point? No I haven't commited a worse sin that sucking a dick.

4. Nobody is defending adultery. You just have to remember it was your side that made adultery an OK thing, not mine.

1. I'm not in Oklahoma, and just because you would be considered a Marxist in Zaire doesn't make it so. I am well aware of the political spectrum, and where I fall in it.

2.I stated as much in my post.

3. I guess it went over your "head". You said that "sucking a guy's dick is not worse than lying." I was merely implying that you would be met with more scrutiny if you were discovered sucking a guy's dick than if you said you drank less beers than you actually consumed. It was merely a joke.

4. Not too sure anyone can state who made it ok, as I still feel it would be hard to find anyone that is "cool" with adultery. Do you have some sort of research that provides proof that the leftists were able to abolish some sort of law on adultery in the past?

OklahomaTuba
1/11/2011, 12:37 PM
It's going to take awhile to detach the liberal's special interests that run this state (and into the ground if they could.)

I'd love to see her take a big *** axe to the state government. With this legislature I think she can if she wanted too.

C&CDean
1/11/2011, 12:41 PM
1. I'm not in Oklahoma, and just because you would be considered a Marxist in Zaire doesn't make it so. I am well aware of the political spectrum, and where I fall in it. Whatever dude.

2.I stated as much in my post. So you did.

3. I guess it went over your "head". You said that "sucking a guy's dick is not worse than lying." I was merely implying that you would be met with more scrutiny if you were discovered sucking a guy's dick than if you said you drank less beers than you actually consumed. It was merely a joke. Oh, it was a joke. I never know with you guys. My bad.

4. Not too sure anyone can state who made it ok, as I still feel it would be hard to find anyone that is "cool" with adultery. Do you have some sort of research that provides proof that the leftists were able to abolish some sort of law on adultery in the past? Research? No. History? Yes. Your boy Mr. Hillary did it on a regular basis, then he lied about it, and he's still all the rage. Abolish a law on it? Huh? I'm fairly certain nobody around these parts will be able to rewrite the 10 Commandments.

:twinkies:

OklahomaTuba
1/11/2011, 12:42 PM
We're in the middle of a $500MM budget shortfall and the money has to come from somewhere. The major places left to cut will do a lot of damage to social programs because we'll lose federal matching funds. Well since the federal gov is bankrupt as well, who cares?

It's all going to get cut at some point, might as well get used to living within our means once again.

I'd start with education. Obviously pouring untolds amount of money into it doesn't make it any better if we are 49th out of 50 states.

Maybe go to a voucher system and let the schools/teachers compete. Lots of innovative solutions that should be on the table now that wouldn't be if the donks still had control of the state.

SpankyNek
1/11/2011, 12:46 PM
Research? No. History? Yes. Your boy Mr. Hillary did it on a regular basis, then he lied about it, and he's still all the rage. Abolish a law on it? Huh? I'm fairly certain nobody around these parts will be able to rewrite the 10 Commandments.

I am just saying that we like to make a quagmire of the political spectrum by injecting what one thinks about morals and religion into it. Left or right has NOTHING to do with this argument.

Left is generally about a citizen's rights and Right is generally about a Citizen's freedom.

Most of us fall in the middle.

I'm obviously still a noob, but if the Twinkies represent a breaking of bread, I would like to participate and reciprocate. (Spiritually of course, as the logistics of driving to Oklahoma for a message board Kum Ba Ya are a nightmare for me at this point)

C&CDean
1/11/2011, 12:49 PM
I'm with ya Spanky - except that most of us think we fall in the middle.

Well except for the mega dorks like RLIMC, Tuba, LAS, KC/Crimson, and a few of the new OUI refugees.

They know they're extremists.

OUMallen
1/11/2011, 01:02 PM
It's certainly not the end of the world by any stretch. Just shows a lack of judgment and character by either her or a staffer. :shrug

Midtowner
1/11/2011, 01:02 PM
Well since the federal gov is bankrupt as well, who cares?

Unlike the feds, we have to balance our budget every year. It's Constitutionally required. There is no state debt or issuing of bonds without a specific purpose (I believe it must be a capital improvement) and a vote of the people.

It's all going to get cut at some point, might as well get used to living within our means once again.

In Oklahoma, we always have lived within our means. A balanced budget is a constitutional requirement.

I'd start with education. Obviously pouring untolds amount of money into it doesn't make it any better if we are 49th out of 50 states.

Maybe go to a voucher system and let the schools/teachers compete. Lots of innovative solutions that should be on the table now that wouldn't be if the donks still had control of the state.

We already have charter schools, which must be public schools. Vouchers become problematic because of church/state entanglements (which are constitutionally questionable) and the fact that for-profit entities would be getting involved.

I might not have a problem with vouchers so long as the state maintained control over some sort of quality control mechanism. Problem is, I wouldn't really trust that such an agency wouldn't just become a revolving door shill for the for-profit education industry. The key should be making sure ALL students get the best education possible. The unions and the educational establishment have held us back for a long time, but I don't think that gives us carte blanche to throw the baby out with the bathwater in coming up with a solution.

Leroy Lizard
1/11/2011, 04:55 PM
Depends on if she keeps lying.

If this bothers you, you must hate Bill Clinton.

Leroy Lizard
1/11/2011, 04:58 PM

Heh. Publicized. Publicized = crap.

Fraggle145
1/11/2011, 05:01 PM

Wasnt she sorta in the process of lying while sucking the guys dick?

She can lie with a dick in her mouth thats talent.

Not that I really give a ****. Just another dumb slut.

OUMallen
1/11/2011, 06:37 PM
If this bothers you, you must hate Bill Clinton.

I don't know that I hate the guy, but I don't have a high opinion of his character.

jdsooner
1/11/2011, 11:21 PM

Mary would really be someone special if she could do both at the same time.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/12/2011, 01:56 AM
Major tax reform can't really happen right now.....What cuts would you make so we can lower taxes?Ih order to show no favoritism , prolly a blanket % reduction in all state expenditures easily makes sense. It would sure bolster the economy for the people to see actual cuts in govt.

Midtowner
1/12/2011, 08:09 AM
Ih order to show no favoritism , prolly a blanket % reduction in all state expenditures easily makes sense. It would sure bolster the economy for the people to see actual cuts in govt.

We already did that in FY2010. Double digits. Where was the economy bolstered?

OklahomaTuba
1/12/2011, 10:55 AM
We already did that in FY2010. Double digits. Where was the economy bolstered?
In 2011, the year after FY 2010.

General revenue fund collections for December were $454.5 million - $52.1 million or 13 percent above the same month last year and $18.9 million or 4.3 percent above the state estimate.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=16&articleid=20110112_16_A1_OLHMIY594468

Looks like a successful strategy that should continue.

OklahomaTuba
1/12/2011, 10:59 AM
Vouchers become problematic because of church/state entanglements (which are constitutionally questionable) and the fact that for-profit entities would be getting involved.
Ironically we don't have much issue giving "vouchers" for folks to go to private colleges (even those evil Christian ones, oh the horror) or for-profit schools in the form of grants and loans.

1/12/2011, 11:09 AM
We already did that in FY2010. Double digits. Where was the economy bolstered?It ALWAYS works, Sparky! Including at the state level. Cutting govt. spending AND lowering taxes would set the economy ablaze. But, that's not what democrats politicians want, is it?

Midtowner
1/12/2011, 11:58 AM
Ironically we don't have much issue giving "vouchers" for folks to go to private colleges (even those evil Christian ones, oh the horror) or for-profit schools in the form of grants and loans.

Since those have to be paid back, that money belongs to the individual spending it. And actually the feds are going to start restricting for-profits on student loans because of the >50% default rate on loans to attend those institutions.

At any rate, that's a dumb comparison. There's no real similarity between a loan and an entitlement except that both involve money.

Midtowner
1/12/2011, 12:00 PM
It ALWAYS works, Sparky! Including at the state level. Cutting govt. spending AND lowering taxes would set the economy ablaze. But, that's not what democrats politicians want, is it?

Well fantastic! Let's cut everything to zero! We'll explode!

Truth be told, the state doesn't really get enough from any sector to be able to cut and make a much bigger difference.

And many of the things you propose cutting involve federal matching funds, so you cut $1, but you're really cutting $3-$10.

Midtowner
1/12/2011, 12:02 PM
In 2011, the year after FY 2010.

[quote]Looks like a successful strategy that should continue.

Except the tax burden in 2010 actually increased. But don't let the facts dissuade you! By increase, I mean that quite a few tax credits were suspended. If you want to keep up the belief that the change in government spending and taxation bolstered the present economy, then you should be arguing for tax hikes and the further removal of tax credits.

1/12/2011, 12:09 PM
Well fantastic! Let's cut everything to zero! We'll explode!

Truth be told, the state doesn't really get enough from any sector to be able to cut and make a much bigger difference.

And many of the things you propose cutting involve federal matching funds, so you cut $1, but you're really cutting $3-$10.If less money is being spent, and the economy is downsizing, then the govt. NEEDS to do the same. Reduction is inevitable, no matter what path it takes. The real, actual market is the boss, no matter how much the govt. interferes.

Midtowner
1/12/2011, 12:30 PM
If less money is being spent, and the economy is downsizing, then the govt. NEEDS to do the same. Reduction is inevitable, no matter what path it takes. The real, actual market is the boss, no matter how much the govt. interferes.

You don't seem to have much awareness as to the realities of budgeting at the state level versus the federal level. That's okay.

To be competitive as a state, to have industry want to be here, we have to have a good education offering. 49/50 ain't getting us there.

You can't tort reform and tax cut your way to prosperity if you neglect people's basic expectations of what the government is supposed to do.

As far as downsizing, the government doesn't "need" to, it has to. Constitutionally, the Oklahoma state gov't must balance its budget every single year. That means if there's less revenue, spending has to be cut somewhere. We're not like the federal government. Deficit spending isn't an option. So the truth is that the Oklahoma state government automatically downsizes when tax collections trend down. There's no other choice.

And in good years, we issue refund checks to the citizens when the rainy day fund is full.

soonerscuba
1/12/2011, 01:08 PM
You don't seem to have much awareness as to the realities of budgeting at the state level versus the federal level. That's okay.

To be competitive as a state, to have industry want to be here, we have to have a good education offering. 49/50 ain't getting us there.

You can't tort reform and tax cut your way to prosperity if you neglect people's basic expectations of what the government is supposed to do.

As far as downsizing, the government doesn't "need" to, it has to. Constitutionally, the Oklahoma state gov't must balance its budget every single year. That means if there's less revenue, spending has to be cut somewhere. We're not like the federal government. Deficit spending isn't an option. So the truth is that the Oklahoma state government automatically downsizes when tax collections trend down. There's no other choice.

And in good years, we issue refund checks to the citizens when the rainy day fund is full.You realize the two people you are talking to regard tax cuts more as an incantation to prosperity than an actual policy choice, right? I wouldn't waste your time. At this point the words "less government" and "Reagan" are used simply to open wallets.

Midtowner
1/12/2011, 01:43 PM
You realize the two people you are talking to regard tax cuts more as an incantation to prosperity than an actual policy choice, right? I wouldn't waste your time. At this point the words "less government" and "Reagan" are used simply to open wallets.

Two words for you:

Nine....

Eleven.

1/12/2011, 06:00 PM
...To be competitive as a state, to have industry want to be here, we have to have a good education offering. 49/50 ain't getting us there.

And in good years, we issue refund checks to the citizens when the rainy day fund is full.You seem to be saying throwing more money at public education improves the quality. (there's a causeway in Nevada you'll want to purchase?)

So, something has to be cut, since raising taxes is a bad idea. What state govt. spending would you cut?

OUMallen
1/12/2011, 06:36 PM
FWIW- it looks like Mary didn't lie about the dood.

Leroy Lizard
1/12/2011, 06:37 PM
You seem to be saying throwing more money at public education improves the quality. (there's a causeway in Nevada you'll want to purchase?)

The problem is that you don't just throw money at public education. There has to be a plan designed to produce a certain increase in quality. And that is what is missing.

Increased money can help. I'm all for increased spending on education, but I want to see where the money is going and how it will benefit students.

Midtowner
1/12/2011, 08:34 PM
You seem to be saying throwing more money at public education improves the quality. (there's a causeway in Nevada you'll want to purchase?)

It certainly can. One thing's for certain--inadequate funding can damage the quality. I'd like to see money go to improving teacher salaries, but along with that, I'd like to see the expectations for teachers grow. They should be required to have Master's degrees, they should be accountable for their students' performance, tenure should go away, etc. Merit pay, done right could be a really good thing so long as school systems aren't financially penalized for having outstanding teachers.

So, something has to be cut, since raising taxes is a bad idea. What state govt. spending would you cut?

I never said raising taxes was a bad idea.

1/12/2011, 08:46 PM
It certainly can. One thing's for certain--inadequate funding can damage the quality. I'd like to see money go to improving teacher salaries, but along with that, I'd like to see the expectations for teachers grow. They should be required to have Master's degrees, they should be accountable for their students' performance, tenure should go away, etc. Merit pay, done right could be a really good thing so long as school systems aren't financially penalized for having outstanding teachers.

I never said raising taxes was a bad idea.Well, you should have, if you want to make good sense.

OUmillenium
1/13/2011, 11:52 AM
Well since the federal gov is bankrupt as well, who cares?

Competition between schools/teachers will not make parents get their kids to school, hold them accountable for homework, teach them proper behavior, etc. Education is primarily a parent issue.

If I were teaching your kid, I would have him 50 min out of a 24 hour day for barely half the days in a year.

I'm a Republican, by the way.

Midtowner
1/13/2011, 03:49 PM
[/B]Competition between schools/teachers will not make parents get their kids to school, hold them accountable for homework, teach them proper behavior, etc. Education is primarily a parent issue.

Oh that's just silly.

Education is not as simply solved as blaming it on one constituency (parents, teachers, kids) and calling it a day.

Are parents part of the solution? Maybe. In some cases, that's not realistic, so you either have to relegate the kids with bad parents to the prison career track or figure out something else to do.

My wife teaches at a charter school. About half the kids are minorities. Well more than half are on free and reduced lunch. Many come from single parent homes, many live with their grandparents, many are emancipated minors. 100% go to college. Bad parents is a bad excuse. If schools have high expectations of the students and provide the opportunities and environment to excel, most kids will step up to the plate.

If I were teaching your kid, I would have him 50 min out of a 24 hour day for barely half the days in a year.

Lame *** excuse. You have them for 50 minutes out of the day AND after or before school, during your plan, during advisory, etc. There is time to work extra with the kids who need it. Either your administration doesn't allow for that or you're not willing to go the extra mile for your students.

Well congratulations.

Sooner Tri
1/13/2011, 04:04 PM

This is not a slam toward you, but I often hear how education funding increases should go to raise teacher pay. Why? Our colleges are full of education majors wanting to be teachers, and are aware of what a teacher is paid. Why do they complain about it and demand raises once they are hired? They act as though it is a surprise to them, and an outrage.
Just like any field, the pay will increase when it the supply gets low yet the demand for them high. Right now, I know of several teachers that were laid off, but most are still trying to get teaching jobs instead of seeking a higher paying career.

Midtowner
1/13/2011, 04:59 PM
This is not a slam toward you, but I often hear how education funding increases should go to raise teacher pay. Why? Our colleges are full of education majors wanting to be teachers, and are aware of what a teacher is paid.

Because if we want to have good teachers, we have to pay. True, the schools are full of folks who are aiming no higher in life than a $30K starting salary with a $50K salary after maybe 20 years of service, summers off, etc. You're not going to attract the best candidates with that sort of offering and it certainly won't be (and isn't) competitive to get into or become a teacher.

Our teachers should be highly trained, highly talented, highly qualified professionals, and offering such a pedestrian salary scale won't get us there. Look at other countries which have surpassed us in education rankings. Teachers should be valued as much as doctors, lawyers and engineers.

Getting into education school should be at least as hard as getting into law school.

Why do they complain about it and demand raises once they are hired? They act as though it is a surprise to them, and an outrage.
Just like any field, the pay will increase when it the supply gets low yet the demand for them high. Right now, I know of several teachers that were laid off, but most are still trying to get teaching jobs instead of seeking a higher paying career.

In Oklahoma, when they look at our regional neighbors (or back East) and they see themselves making 10K-20K less than their colleagues in other states, yeah, there's probably a little cause for outrage there.

Get rid of tenure, usher in high expectations, pay teachers what they're worth, but make them do what the rest of us have to do to make money--get results.

Leroy Lizard
1/13/2011, 09:41 PM
[/B]

Competition between schools/teachers will not make parents get their kids to school, hold them accountable for homework, teach them proper behavior, etc. Education is primarily a parent issue.

Teaching is primarily a teacher issue. That's who we hire to teach the kids. At the end of the school year, I want those kids to know considerably more than they knew at the start of the year.

A teacher has a kid in class roughly 150 hours per year. Used effectively, that is enough time to teach considerable material.

My view is that I want teachers to teach the kids something new on Day 1, on the last day of school, and every day in between.

And it costs nothing more to do that.

1/14/2011, 12:44 AM
[/B]

I'm a Republican, by the way.Who did you vote for for pres. in the republican primary election in 2008?