PDA

View Full Version : Can we run effectively top SEC teams.

basel90
1/10/2011, 12:31 PM
We had a great year and OU is great to watch with the up tempo, passing game, talented receivers , dink and dunk passing for short yardage. However , let us be honest, can OU run on a top SEC team ?
Being great between the 20 yeard lines is good , but it is the short yardage that has haunted OU with SEC teams , remember the first and goal situations with Florida in MNC game.
Even this year, we had a problem with that same situation with TAM and others. I am a bit worried when our QB has to pass 45 to 50 times a game like landry did this year, it tells me our OC doesn't think we can run effectively. Elite opponents will pick up on that and make us pay.
Am i wrong , or do we need to have that consistant power running game if we are to go all the way.

bmjlr
1/10/2011, 12:32 PM
Need to run the ball...heck even in a little bit would be great.

TahoeSOONER
1/10/2011, 12:39 PM
OU can run on SEC teams and we did quite well against Florida at times, without our best back. I remember us opening up a running game against LSU late in that title game also. Those were both games that got away because of crucial turnovers. They made plays and OU didn't.

Give this Oline another off season and they will gel even more going into another year together and I think you'll see the balance we've had in years past.

basel90
1/10/2011, 01:01 PM
i sure hope stoops can fix that as we may end up in N.O again next year and it may be against LSU or Alabama ...

Breadburner
1/10/2011, 01:30 PM
We had a great year and OU is great to watch with the up tempo, passing game, talented receivers , dink and dunk passing for short yardage. However , let us be honest, can OU run on a top SEC team ?
Being great between the 20 yeard lines is good , but it is the short yardage that has haunted OU with SEC teams , remember the first and goal situations with Florida in MNC game.
Even this year, we had a problem with that same situation with TAM and others. I am a bit worried when our QB has to pass 45 to 50 times a game like landry did this year, it tells me our OC doesn't think we can run effectively. Elite opponents will pick up on that and make us pay.
Am i wrong , or do we need to have that consistant power running game if we are to go all the way.

What did we do the other 45 to 55 plays......

Soonermagik
1/10/2011, 01:34 PM
Of course they can. However, the pass has to setup the run. If you can throw all over them then they will be forced to change coverages and then they can run.

The SEC isn't magic. They just believe in being physical up front and it works well. They can be beaten like any other team. Most SEC teams use the NFL recipe: Establish the run and play good defense and you will likely win.

Soonerwake
1/10/2011, 01:55 PM
I will have to say that I have grown weary of this term - "let us be honest". :mad:

Given that, did we run the ball effectively at times this past year? Sure.. Do we need to improve on our run game in this upcoming year? Sure..

And to compare and contrast to SEC teams is not always relevant. For instance let's discuss Auburn. They would be really tough to run on - 11th in run defense. But, they were 107th against the pass. Why? Teams had to pass on them because they got behind early or did they play teams that don't pass as much/well??

Auburn played 3 of the top 30 passing offenses in the country (OU played 5 and was 50th against the pass).

BoulderSooner79
1/10/2011, 02:22 PM
If you're talking about this season, we couldn't run against most our opponents. We *should* be able to run when the other guy is expecting pass, but for some reason, we didn't do that effectively. In '08, our pass did set up the run, but that was an extraordinary offense. We also had Gresh, so we were effective in the redzone w/o a power run game. Next seaon, Josh/Jay need to improve our redzone and short yardage effectiveness regardless of how they do it - run or pass.

1890MilesToNorman
1/10/2011, 03:11 PM
If I could afford it I would invite the O-Line over for dinner and have a talk with them. Unfortunately I don't think I could scrape up enough scratch to feed'em?

Maybe I'll just invite the D-line!