PDA

View Full Version : Pease returning to BSU to replace Harsin

Jason
1/9/2011, 03:12 PM
Looks like Kevin Wilson already lost his first hire:

http://www.kboi2.com/sports/113140669.html

Sources have told KBOI TV that Brent Pease will return to the Boise State coaching staff as offensive coordinator after just a week as offensive coordinator at Indiana University.

Multiple sources close to Pease reported that news, and Bronco defensive back George Iloka tweeted, "So Coach Pease is back ....Congrats again I guess...." Saturday afternoon.

Pease had told the Idaho Statesman that he took the Indiana job not knowing now-former BSU offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin's future.

Harsin accepted the offensive coordinator job at the University of Texas on Friday.

Pease was the Broncos' assistant head coach and wide receivers coach before his hire at Indiana on December 30th.

Sources close to the Boise State program told KBOI TV this past week that Robert Prince would be hired to replace Pease as wide receivers coach, but that hire was apparently put on hold by the departure of Harsin.

Leroy Lizard
1/9/2011, 03:32 PM
Did he sign a contract?

Frozen Sooner
1/9/2011, 03:38 PM
Did he sign a contract?

Doesn't matter (except for any buyout).

Can't get specific performance on a contract for employment. There's a pesky thing called the 13th Amendment that gets in the way.

Jason
1/9/2011, 03:40 PM
Did he sign a contract?
I'm searching, and can't anything. I'll post it, if I find it.

Nonetheless, Frozen is correct.

StoopTroup
1/9/2011, 03:47 PM
Did he sign a contract?

What difference would it make. Wilson wouldn't want a guy that suddenly changed his mind anyway. Kevin is trying to put together a Coaching Staff ASAP so he can get to recruiting and start planning on what he's going to do with the current players at Indiana. If the guy signed a contract and suddenly felt it wasn't where he wanted to be....I'd send him packing and I wouldn't be buying his bus ticket Home.

The Dickwheel is screwing around with a New Head Coach and seemingly can't stick with the decision he made regarding his career. Unless he was someone really special and folks across the Country felt he should be a HC somewhere....I'd say Boise screwed up letting him go.

Kevin should find himself someone with better crendentials who's hungry to be a Hoosier.

swardboy
1/9/2011, 04:16 PM
who's hungry to be a Hoosier.

And good luck with that Kevin....

Leroy Lizard
1/9/2011, 05:14 PM
What difference would it make. Wilson wouldn't want a guy that suddenly changed his mind anyway. Kevin is trying to put together a Coaching Staff ASAP so he can get to recruiting and start planning on what he's going to do with the current players at Indiana. If the guy signed a contract and suddenly felt it wasn't where he wanted to be....I'd send him packing and I wouldn't be buying his bus ticket Home.

The Dickwheel is screwing around with a New Head Coach and seemingly can't stick with the decision he made regarding his career. Unless he was someone really special and folks across the Country felt he should be a HC somewhere....I'd say Boise screwed up letting him go.

Kevin should find himself someone with better crendentials who's hungry to be a Hoosier.

We don't know enough behind the scenes to make these judgments. Maybe KW urged him to go back. Or maybe his contract had a grace period built in (although I would doubt it).

It is up to the AD and how much he wants him. I can easily see an AD telling Pease "Tough timing, heh? Well, don't feel bad. More opportunities will come down the pike. In the meantime, how is recruiting going?"

Frozen Sooner
1/9/2011, 08:33 PM
We don't know enough behind the scenes to make these judgments. Maybe KW urged him to go back. Or maybe his contract had a grace period built in (although I would doubt it).

It is up to the AD and how much he wants him. I can easily see an AD telling Pease "Tough timing, heh? Well, don't feel bad. More opportunities will come down the pike. In the meantime, how is recruiting going?"

Again, you can't force performance of labor in a labor contract. The best they'd be able to do is force a buyout, and unless there's a liquidated damages clause the calculation of the actual value of the leaving coach over his replacement is hard to figure.

Soonermagik
1/9/2011, 09:47 PM
Again, you can't force performance of labor in a labor contract. The best they'd be able to do is force a buyout, and unless there's a liquidated damages clause the calculation of the actual value of the leaving coach over his replacement is hard to figure.

Maybe not, but you would think they could levy a stiff enough buyout to make Boise reconsider. Everything comes down to how the contract was structured, which we don't know. If Indiana and Kevin did it right, when you sign the X it should take a ton of money to get you off the hook.

stoopified
1/9/2011, 09:51 PM
KW's situation reminds me of the first time Stoops hired Norvell only to have him jump to the NFL shortly thereafter.

Frozen Sooner
1/9/2011, 10:47 PM
Maybe not, but you would think they could levy a stiff enough buyout to make Boise reconsider. Everything comes down to how the contract was structured, which we don't know. If Indiana and Kevin did it right, when you sign the X it should take a ton of money to get you off the hook.

Meh. I don't think it's common practice to have a big buyout in an assistant coaching contract. I may be wrong, though.

Also, if you make a buyout clause too big, it's going to be invalid on public policy reasons: courts won't enforce penalty clauses so that "efficient" breach is promoted.

John Kochtoston
1/9/2011, 11:00 PM
He likely had signed an offer sheet, but not a contract. Coaching contracts usually take about 2-3 months to hammer out and finalize. Probably less so for an assistant, but even those likely take more than a week.