PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting drop...

Soonermagik
1/9/2011, 10:28 AM
I remember looking at the rankings a few months ago and OU was top 3. I look again today and they are #12 according to scout. There are still several other big name recruits left to sign. However, most aren't considering OU, which will likely mean they fall even further.

Is there a reason for the fall? Is it due to the team being so loaded? I know guys want to play right now. I also understand stars don't mean everything, just surprised to see the fall.

PLaw
1/9/2011, 10:36 AM
I remember looking at the rankings a few months ago and OU was top 3. I look again today and they are #12 according to scout. There are still several other big name recruits left to sign. However, most aren't considering OU, which will likely mean they fall even further.

Is there a reason for the fall? Is it due to the team being so loaded. I know guys want to play right now. I also understand stars don't mean everything, just surprised to see the fall.

No worries - those rankings are based on the total number of 'ships committed and we don't have a lot to give out this year. The more telling number is the average number of stars, but anymore those stars can be a lot more hype than a measure of how a kid will develope at the collegiate level.

In Stoops we trust -

BOOMER

oudivesherpa
1/9/2011, 10:47 AM
With a 90 Scholly limit, we are near maximum number of Scholarships available and have only about 17 available, so our rankings we will be lower this year compared to teams that can sign 25 to 27 kids. We would have had more Scholarships available if more players would have left for the NFL.
However, I think I would rather have Ryan Broyles and Travis Lewis back for another year than have two untested 4/5 stars recruits.

TahoeSOONER
1/9/2011, 10:48 AM
^This^

Simply numbers but we got some quality coming to Norman.

sooner518
1/9/2011, 11:02 AM
we're doomed!!

seriously, i never understood why those recruiting rankings place so much emphasis on quantity. its really not very indicative of how well the school recruits good players during that period and especially in cases like this, where school A only has 17 or 18 schollies to give and school B has 25 to give.

but i guess Im asking for logic and reason from recruiting rankings, which are almost completely based on hearsay and stars are given sight unseen simply because USC or Texas offers a player.

plus, players like Brandon Carter, who is pretty much unanimously one of the top 5 players in Texas are rated 3 stars because theyre not very tall. BRILLIANT! I trust in Stoops' recruiting more than I trust a bunch of jackwagons from rivals.com

mainline13
1/9/2011, 11:18 AM
With a 90 Scholly limit, we are near maximum number of Scholarships available and have only about 17 available, so our rankings we will be lower this year compared to teams that can sign 25 to 27 kids. We would have had more Scholarships available if more players would have left for the NFL.
However, I think I would rather have Ryan Broyles and Travis Lewis back for another year than have two untested 4/5 stars recruits.

The limit is 85.

Rover
1/9/2011, 11:21 AM
We will fall further in the rankings as other schools get MORE commits. It is essentially Number of Recruits X stars. We can have a higher QUALITY of class but be ranked lower because of only being able to offer a small NUMBER or recruits. I will take quality over quantity any day, especially when we already have a great group of players in Norman.

TXBOOMER
1/9/2011, 11:35 AM
Maybe Bob is recruiting a Kickoff coverage class this year?????

badger
1/9/2011, 11:57 AM
Maybe Bob is recruiting a Kickoff coverage class this year?????

Our special teams are special :eek:

SoonerRoy
1/9/2011, 12:33 PM
No perfect system but I think the recruiting services should consider only the top 10 to 15 players a school signs. Very rare that players past that point help the team much. (Over a 4 year period that would be 40 to 60 players.) And ranking by the total number of signees is silly. I remember that recently one of the Miss. schools signed something like 34 players. Not all qualified or were expected to.

OUthunder
1/9/2011, 12:35 PM
Tress Way can leave, along with every other kicker on scholly. Let one of the male cheerleaders walk on and kick. They'd do just as good of a job.

SoonerMarkVA
1/9/2011, 12:43 PM
Tress Way can leave, along with every other kicker on scholly. Let one of the male cheerleaders walk on and kick. They'd do just as good of a job.

It really is frustrating to watch most other teams' kickers put a 45-yarder right down the middle and have the announcer state that the kick is good for the walk-on kicker from Anytown, USA.

sooner ngintunr
1/9/2011, 12:44 PM

:confused: He's the best punter in the Big12. He was big time against USAFA.

Soonermagik
1/9/2011, 12:46 PM
Okay, good responses. I don't think this team needs anything. I would agree that I would much rather have a polished Ryan Broyles or Travis Lewis than some hyped guy who will need a lot of time.

I just didn't know how the system worked. I could see guys who want playing time asap not coming here. I bet only 1 to 2 guys in this current class see any real time next year.

BoulderSooner79
1/9/2011, 01:11 PM
:confused: He's the best punter in the Big12. He was big time against USAFA.

I'm confused too - Tress Way is a solid punter.

hawaii 5-0
1/9/2011, 01:15 PM
I wished we had offered Miles Shuler.

5-0

yankee
1/9/2011, 01:18 PM

Not sure if serious...

texaspokieokie
1/9/2011, 01:19 PM

keep in mind that field goals won the osu & nebraska games.

kicks scored 11 of the 23 pts against neb. 3 for 4 field goals.

Memtig14
1/9/2011, 02:10 PM
The limit is 85.

Thank you.

85sooners
1/9/2011, 02:19 PM
:eek:

boomermagic
1/9/2011, 02:23 PM

Great points !

MR2-Sooner86
1/9/2011, 02:24 PM
I don't follow recruiting or rankings but if I'm not mistaken Bradford was 3 stars as was Gresham.

The only 5 star I remember worth the ranking was AD. Like I said though I don't follow recruiting so I could be completely wrong.

sperry
1/9/2011, 02:30 PM

Very short kicks. Now that Stevens has started consistently making important short kicks he's not a complete waste of space anymore. However, having any field goal over 40 yards be a pipe dream is not acceptable with the number of kickers we have on scholarship.

Leroy Lizard
1/9/2011, 02:35 PM
Did we fill our needs? That's what matters. Leave the star-pimpin' to the Horns.

Breadburner
1/9/2011, 02:37 PM
Let the rahtard season begin...!!!!!!!

Big D Sooner
1/9/2011, 02:44 PM
Stevens hit a 42 yarder in the Fiesta Bowl. It didn't squeak through either, it was a solid kick. I think that he is finally regaining his confidence.

Leroy Lizard
1/9/2011, 02:48 PM
Even more than QBs, kickers have a hard time shaking off the stigma of a slump. Stevens played okay this year.

sooner518
1/9/2011, 02:50 PM
our last Rivals 5 stars were Stephen Good, Jermie Calhoun and RJ Washington. Mike Reed and Gerald McCoy.

Not exactly big contributors excet GK

yankee
1/9/2011, 03:04 PM
our last Rivals 5 stars were Stephen Good, Jermie Calhoun and RJ Washington. Mike Reed and Gerald McCoy.

Not exactly big contributors excet GK

If the current Rivals ratings hold through signing day, Trey Metoyer and Brandon Williams will need to be added to that list.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/9/2011, 03:05 PM

Definitely. I think when players return that could be 1st or 2nd round draft picks it is at least as good as landing a 5-star recruit. At the end of the day aren't we hoping that a WR recruit like Metoyer turns out to be reasonably close to being as productive as Broyles?

usaosooner
1/9/2011, 04:16 PM
We are talking a small class as compared to others

Okieflyer
1/9/2011, 04:23 PM
As long as we are usually in the top 20 it's all good.

Just think if they would gone back and rated this years freshman class. If we weren't number one after that, I don't know who would have been.

Curly Bill
1/9/2011, 04:45 PM
I don't follow recruiting or rankings but if I'm not mistaken Bradford was 3 stars as was Gresham.

The only 5 star I remember worth the ranking was AD. Like I said though I don't follow recruiting so I could be completely wrong.

Sam yes, but Gresham no. Gresham was a high 4-star.

OUmillenium
1/9/2011, 04:48 PM
The preseason mags usually do a flashback to recruiting rankings 4 and 5 years ago. It's often fun to rehash who was hit/miss. Not sure which mags, but I know a couple do it.

Some of the basketball mags will go back 10 years just so you can see how guys did in college as well as NBA.

LRoss
1/9/2011, 05:20 PM
I see the point of rating on quality vs quantity, but ultimately disagree. It's such an inexact science trying to know who's going to develop into what that, even when it hurts our rankings in certain years, I feel like you have to honor quantity. These kids aren't exactly like lottery tickets, but they aren't sure things either.

CowboyMRW
1/9/2011, 05:57 PM
Definitely. I think when players return that could be 1st or 2nd round draft picks it is at least as good as landing a 5-star recruit. At the end of the day aren't we hoping that a WR recruit like Metoyer turns out to be reasonably close to being as productive as Broyles?

Metoyer is going to be a beast. He reminds me of Dez Bryant so much

CowboyMRW
1/9/2011, 06:01 PM
Whatever happened to Chaisson? He seems to be a very highly coveted DE coming out of HS.

Also, according to Rivals, you all sign a lot more 3* than I would've ever guessed.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/9/2011, 06:34 PM
I'm confused too - Tress Way is a solid punter.

best punter in the Big XII my ***. Nebraska and OK State beg to differ.

cherokeebrewer
1/9/2011, 07:29 PM
Whatever happened to Chaisson? He seems to be a very highly coveted DE coming out of HS.

Said he didn't want to do it anymore...

MojoRisen
1/9/2011, 08:39 PM
We are top 5 right now will probably stay top 10. We have 10 recruits 4 star and better and filled all our needs! Stacked class 7 all Americans. Not to shabby!!! Just 17 total schollies plus the baseball kid so far! Anyone else heavy on the radar right now?

VA Sooner
1/10/2011, 11:05 AM
A little thin on the lines but otherwise looking good for next year. Too many kickers (5) on scholly... oh well... you never know if you may need to go 5-deep there.

KuppiKunta
1/10/2011, 01:48 PM
best punter in the Big XII my ***. Nebraska and OK State beg to differ.

How'd that OSU guy do in the bowl game?

OU_Sooners75
1/10/2011, 02:31 PM

Well if this is the case...then we are really screwed!

The limit is actually 85 and that means we have only 12 available...LOL

We definitely do not have our 25 available...but if we do free up some space, like I think will happen, then we will have the room.

I don't necessarily agree with yanking a scholarship from a player...but I also do not agree with allowing that scholarship to continue if the player is not panning out.

Sorry, but people get fired from their jobs every day....and trust me, this sport while they are playing it is their job in college...so if they cannot perform then they should be knocked to walk-on status.

Harsh yes, but reality.

Curly Bill
1/10/2011, 02:47 PM
A little thin on the lines but otherwise looking good for next year. Too many kickers (5) on scholly... oh well... you never know if you may need to go 5-deep there.

Being 5-deep wouldn't be so bad if they all didn't suck. :P

Mad Dog Madsen
1/10/2011, 02:50 PM
I wished we had offered Miles Shuler.

5-0

We did... He committed to Rutgers though.