PDA

View Full Version : Strong points

bufsa
1/8/2011, 10:53 PM
Does anybody have any thoughts on what areas we will be excelling in and what areas we are weak in? Last year we didn't give our pitchers leads early. Is this something we will be better at this year?

Soonerite
1/8/2011, 11:39 PM
Personally I think that our strong points should once again be in the field and at the plate with a little left to be desired at pitcher. Natural progression would suggest that Max White, Cody Reine, and Cameron Seitzer will be even stronger hitters this year which is always a good thing. Seitzer went through a couple of rough patches at the plate that really hurt last, but hopefully that will be corrected this season. Having Tyler Ogle and Buechele back should help keep us on track.

Like usual, a solid starting rotation won't be set until deep into non conference play but I would assume that Bobby Shore and Rocha will both be locks with Mayfield, Gibson, and possibly one of the new guys battling for the last spot. The loss of Urban is going to really hurt deep into tight games, but hopefully we can find someone to step up and fill that gap.

Overall I think we should have a pretty solid team that should challenge for the conference and make a decent run in the post season. It sure would be nice to be in Omaha two years in a row! :cool:

bcolston15
1/9/2011, 11:40 PM
I'll bite. First for some weaknesses. Late inning relief is an area I see as a question mark, at least entering the season. We have Duke to close, but who gets it to him?

Secondly, I don't think we have a clearly defined lead-off hitter. Hopefully, Chris Ellison makes me eat my words in regards to that.

I think are strengths are pretty numerous so I'll speak in general about them. Starting pitching. I think we have a chance to have a legit, three man rotation like we see from Texas virtually every year. And much like last year we're going to have the depth to make executing well a must if you want to stay in the lineup.

bufsa
1/10/2011, 07:36 PM
Wouldn't Mayfeild be a good choice for late inning relief? It would get him into a lot of games. If Rocha pitches the way he did at the end of the year that would give us a weekend rotation of Shore, Smith and Rocha. We really wouldn't need to use Mayfield mid-week. Of course this is depentant on our pitchers making far enough into the game where we only need late inning relief and Mayfield not having to br early relief. As far as the lead off who is the fastest on the team that hit above 260?

bcolston15
1/12/2011, 02:30 PM
A few under the radar names to keep in mind as guys that could be in a late inning role: Scott Myers (LH Juco from Cali), Kindle Ladd, (Frosh from Mckinney) who had a very productive fall, and Anthony Collazo who pitched in some big games last season.

And just in general, Dillon Overton, Cale Coshow and Jordan John are talented guys who will play a role somewhere. Actually, I wouldn't be shocked if John beat out Rocha for the Sunday spot in the rotation.

Soonerite
1/12/2011, 02:52 PM
A few under the radar names to keep in mind as guys that could be in a late inning role: Scott Myers (LH Juco from Cali), Kindle Ladd, (Frosh from Mckinney) who had a very productive fall, and Anthony Collazo who pitched in some big games last season.

And just in general, Dillon Overton, Cale Coshow and Jordan John are talented guys who will play a role somewhere. Actually, I wouldn't be shocked if John beat out Rocha for the Sunday spot in the rotation.

That would be very impressive if Rocha continues to pitch the way he did at the end of last year. For some reason, I was nervous everytime Rocha had the ball in his hand. It seemed that he either struck the batter out, or the ball was getting hit HARD. Or maybe I'm just generally nervous when watching my sooners. :D

IndySooner
1/14/2011, 07:33 PM
That would be very impressive if Rocha continues to pitch the way he did at the end of last year. For some reason, I was nervous everytime Rocha had the ball in his hand. It seemed that he either struck the batter out, or the ball was getting hit HARD. Or maybe I'm just generally nervous when watching my sooners. :D

Rocha was our most consistent pitcher at the end of the year. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the Erben role this year if we have someone (John?) to fill his spot in the rotation.

bufsa
1/15/2011, 12:58 PM
The problem is we are assuming Rocha will pitch like he did the last couple of weeks not like he did the previous couple of years. Does anybody know how he did in fall ball?

bcolston15
1/16/2011, 02:34 PM
Does anybody know how he did in fall ball?

He gave up 7 runs in 4 innings in his only start in the red/white series.

Soonerite
1/16/2011, 03:27 PM
He gave up 7 runs in 4 innings in his only start in the red/white series.

:eek:

bufsa
1/16/2011, 07:10 PM
Ouch, 15 era

TweenerTues
1/25/2011, 01:02 AM
Rocha will be a main stay on the staff this year, no question. He's proven. Fall is more about staying healthy than production. As for Colston, I would be shocked if John beat out Rocha! And spoke with a player that doesn't feel the same about Myers and sees him as a noncontributor come spring. However anything can change, just look at Cody Reine or White.

bcolston15
1/25/2011, 10:07 AM
Rocha will be a main stay on the staff this year, no question. He's proven. Fall is more about staying healthy than production. As for Colston, I would be shocked if John beat out Rocha! And spoke with a player that doesn't feel the same about Myers and sees him as a noncontributor come spring. However anything can change, just look at Cody Reine or White.

It's certainly true that Fall is more about staying healthy than anything, no question.

But Rocha's career has been a giant bell curve. Hopefully, as a senior he'll pitch more consistently, but until I see it I think his spot in the rotation is tenative.

As for Myers, I think he was brought in to fill a specific role as a lefty matchup. I'd be surprised if he didn't have some impact on the staff.

bufsa
1/25/2011, 08:05 PM
If a player is making coments about another player that is not good. If he did tell you I am sure it was confidential and he did not want you passing it on via a forum. That is a good way to start spreading dissention

Gaius_Longinus
1/25/2011, 11:35 PM
Strong Points: Everything

Weak Points: Nothing

bufsa
2/1/2011, 03:05 PM
Has anybody seen any of the intersquad games recently? If so how are things shaping up?