PDA

View Full Version : Wonder how our team feels...

kelloggOUballa
1/8/2011, 06:11 PM
when they look up in the stands and see 20 fans in the seats. After our troubles the past couple years, we finally get a core group of guys who are dedicated to the program and work their butts off, and that is their reward... pretty embarrassing if you ask me. Anyone without an excuse of location/work/etc. (i.e those watching from Norman at home), should make an effort to make it out. It's not an excuse for the poor performance, but it would be nice to be able to say we have a home-court advantage.

yankee
1/8/2011, 06:14 PM
School still isn't in session, so that hurts attendance too...Not that our bball student section is anything to write home about anyway.

Dwight
1/8/2011, 06:20 PM
I somewhat agree with the OP, but I believe the attendance rests on the performance of the team. The team sucks, so no one wants to go. They need to give the fans a reason to attend.

kelloggOUballa
1/8/2011, 06:30 PM
I somewhat agree with the OP, but I believe the attendance rests on the performance of the team. The team sucks, so no one wants to go. They need to give the fans a reason to attend.

For a pro team, I would agree with that, no question. Shouldn't be that way for a college team. Hate the coaches if you want, call for their firing, etc., but still show up. That's the way I look at it.

Ruf/Nek7
1/8/2011, 07:35 PM
Baseball will have a higher average attendance than basketball will this year and that's not counting the fans that sit along the hill in the outfield!

Soonerite
1/8/2011, 08:30 PM
I've been to every game and enjoyed every painful minute of it!! :D

Crimsontothecore
1/8/2011, 09:09 PM
This is the same gripe we have heard even during the good years.
Newsflash: OU basketball is not as popular as OU football

Please get over it and accept it people. I seriously doubt that any of these players came here thinking LNC would be like Phog Allen fieldhouse on gameday.
I'm amazed that b-ball attendance is still newsworthy to any of you. Can't we just dredge up an old thread on the subject instead of starting a new one?:rolleyes:

TopDawg
1/8/2011, 09:51 PM
The attendance today was better than I expected. Of course, the AD pulled out all the stops to get people there, but at least it was a respectable crowd.

Soonerite
1/8/2011, 10:10 PM
I don't think anyone ever said they expected it to be like Phog Allen, I think it would just be nice to consistently see a half full arena and right now it's not even close. Not only is it embarrassing to see on tv, but it also seriously damages the atmosphere which is one of the things that makes the games so fun.
And if you really care that much about starting new threads about old topics then don't read them. :rolleyes:

StoopTroup
1/8/2011, 10:59 PM
Do the ushers still come down and check your ticket if one of the Season Ticket Holders complains that you are cheering to loud and make you move back to the upper section when there are 5000-7000 open seats?

soonervegas
1/9/2011, 12:24 AM
People generally don't like to go to events where there is 0 chance of victory. Many people probably value spending time with their family or generally doing something productive with their day.

I totally understand it.....

Soonerite
1/9/2011, 12:31 AM
Do the ushers still come down and check your ticket if one of the Season Ticket Holders complains that you are cheering to loud and make you move back to the upper section when there are 5000-7000 open seats?

I sit in the student section so I really don't have to worry about season ticket holders but the yellow shirts keep a close watch at the top and bottom of the stairs just in case some one starts cheering too loud and upsets the people in the section over. :D

Seriously though, they are pretty strict about seeing an ID and student ticket when coming back down from getting food but supposedly they let you down after the first tv time out or something but Ive never gone up after that so I don't know if they actually do it. We couldn't have GA ticket buyers sitting in all those empty donor seats now could we? One of them might actully decide to show up for once and be mighty inconvenienced to find someone in their seat. :rolleyes:

Soonerite
1/9/2011, 12:43 AM
People generally don't like to go to events where there is 0 chance of victory. Many people probably value spending time with their family or generally doing something productive with their day.

I understand wanting to spend time with family, but no one said people have to make it to every game. If just 1/10 of the people that attend every football game tried to get to a few basketball games, it would really make a difference. I mean, if the football team suddenly became the team of the 90's would you just not go?

KBoomer11
1/9/2011, 01:16 AM
It's not just Oklahoma. everywhere you go not named duke, kansas or big east schools attendance for college basketball is lacking. College basketball has lost it's luster and IMO is just not that fun anymore. People pay good money for tickets and they want to see athletes do amazing things. In these days at the college level you don't get that.

I Am Right
1/9/2011, 09:08 AM
when they look up in the stands and see 20 fans in the seats. After our troubles the past couple years, we finally get a core group of guys who are dedicated to the program and work their butts off, and that is their reward... pretty embarrassing if you ask me. Anyone without an excuse of location/work/etc. (i.e those watching from Norman at home), should make an effort to make it out. It's not an excuse for the poor performance, but it would be nice to be able to say we have a home-court advantage.

I will look for you in the stands while I watch on TV.

oulucas
1/9/2011, 02:20 PM
At the game vs. UCA I could actually hear a lady halfway across the arena singing along with the National Anthem.

TopDawg
1/9/2011, 02:40 PM
It's not just Oklahoma. everywhere you go not named duke, kansas or big east schools attendance for college basketball is lacking. College basketball has lost it's luster and IMO is just not that fun anymore. People pay good money for tickets and they want to see athletes do amazing things. In these days at the college level you don't get that.

Even UNC was having trouble with attendance before their recent resurgence.

TopDawg
1/9/2011, 02:41 PM
At the game vs. UCA I could actually hear a lady halfway across the arena singing along with the National Anthem.

Uhm, that was me.

badger
1/9/2011, 06:29 PM
NP and I will be attending the game where we host KU in February and promise to stay even if our own fans are chanting "Rock Chalk" by that point. We'll also be attending the women's Baylor game that's on the same weekend.

Me at the last home football game this season:

http://www.gifninja.com/Workspace/605659e2-be08-4e34-925d-2c1daf8421f6/output.gif
As you can see, taking your winter cap off can mess with your hair... ;)

3rdgensooner
1/9/2011, 06:49 PM
Me at the last home football game this season:

http://www.gifninja.com/Workspace/605659e2-be08-4e34-925d-2c1daf8421f6/output.gif
As you can see, taking your winter cap off can mess with your hair... ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/gen3sooner/smilies/notworthy.gif

Crimsontothecore
1/9/2011, 08:41 PM

Exactly. Unrealistic to expect LNC to be full of rabid fans when this team would barely be competitive in D2.

bri
1/9/2011, 11:06 PM
Ah yes, the classic "Which came first, the wins or the worthless bandwagon *ssholes?" debate.

NickDangerThirdEye
1/9/2011, 11:59 PM
I seriously doubt that any of these players came here thinking LNC would be like Phog Allen Fieldhouse on gameday.

Point of information: uninformed announcers refer to it as Phog Allen Fieldhouse. It's correct name is Allen Fieldhouse.

TopDawg
1/10/2011, 12:18 AM
Also, never let any aggie talk about our lack of attendance. The average attendance at LNC is just about the same as GIA. Two years ago, we were a few spots ahead of them, last year they were slightly ahead of us.

Soonerjeepman
1/10/2011, 09:15 AM
noticed GIA had empty seats for the ksu game...lots in the upper area...just sayin...

although I do agree that it's up to the players and coaches to win games..winning will produce the "avg" fan...I'd be there either way if I lived there...I really enjoy basketball...but that's me.

I was there 2 yrs ago...the men's game with Griffin during the day and the TT fball game that night...I was surprised that the bball game wasn't full...great double header...but again I drove 5 hours to be at the fball game and was excited to see a bball game.

87sooner
1/10/2011, 06:38 PM
wonder how they'll feel after losing 14 of the next 15

badger
1/10/2011, 06:45 PM
Also, never let any aggie talk about our lack of attendance. The average attendance at LNC is just about the same as GIA. Two years ago, we were a few spots ahead of them, last year they were slightly ahead of us.

I really think football is killing them off slowly as far as basketball goes. To go to the "gooner game," they buy football season tickets. To witness the disappointment of losing to the fairweather fan cheatin' gooners every home game since 2002, they pay about $300. Per person. Per season.

Think the Poke fans can just afford to fork over another several hundred dollars and keep attending as many basketball games?

Crimsontothecore
1/10/2011, 10:15 PM
Point of information: uninformed announcers refer to it as Phog Allen Fieldhouse. It's correct name is Allen Fieldhouse.

Gee, that completely changes the meaning of my post huh? I'm sure nobody knew what arena I was referring to. thanks for adding that useless information to the discussion.:rolleyes:

go4eight
1/11/2011, 11:15 AM
You can't expect fans to go knocking down the doors at Loyd N.& watch that type of basketball.I do feel for the players,but some of them should not be on a D1 team,that said it all points squarely at Capel.He put this program in this mess.Go Sooners!!!!!

OUmillenium
1/11/2011, 12:38 PM
I remember sitting on the back row in 1990 v. Iowa St with my parents and a friend. We barely got a ticket.

Been to many games since 1987 but really hate to see the empty LNC on tv. Admin needs to adjust something to get students and fans in seats. Maybe killing the stupid NBAish annoying promotions would help along with lowering ticket prices. Or going straight General Admission. First come, first serve

Soonerite
1/11/2011, 12:59 PM
I remember sitting on the back row in 1990 v. Iowa St with my parents and a friend. We barely got a ticket.

Been to many games since 1987 but really hate to see the empty LNC on tv. Admin needs to adjust something to get students and fans in seats. Maybe killing the stupid NBAish annoying promotions would help along with lowering ticket prices. Or going straight General Admission. First come, first serve

That would be awesome and probably really help get things back on track but unfortunately I don't ever see it happening. The donors, for one, would never allow it. Plus the university would have to lay off all of those yellow shirts that are there solely to kick people out of seats. :D

C&CDean
1/11/2011, 01:13 PM
I know you've got red hair and you've been losing weight, but dang girl, you ain't nothin' but a red x.

fwsooner22
1/11/2011, 01:40 PM
Most of you wouldn't believe that some of us walked from Walker Tower in the snow and ice to LNC to watch Norm Stewarts Mizzou Tigers and Billys Sooners only to have almost no room to sit on a random Wed. night. It was so hot inside you smelled when you went home. It was awesome.

Aldebaran
1/11/2011, 02:05 PM
Ah yes, the classic "Which came first, the wins or the worthless bandwagon *ssholes?" debate.

Perfect summation.

badger
1/11/2011, 03:03 PM
I know you've got red hair and you've been losing weight, but dang girl, you ain't nothin' but a red x.

You talkin' to me?

Crimsontothecore
1/11/2011, 09:23 PM
You can't expect fans to go knocking down the doors at Loyd N.& watch that type of basketball.I do feel for the players,but Jeff Capel should not be coaching a D1 team

fixed

Boarder
1/11/2011, 09:31 PM
I know there are a lot of you who don't remember, but there were also plenty of good seats available during the mid-90s in the football stadium. I bought season tickets for $85. For the whole season. With no donation.

OU fans barely want to see a football team that's crappy, much less a basketball team. Not saying that's right, just the way it is around here.

Soonerite
1/11/2011, 11:12 PM
Sad, but without those crappy seasons I would never have been able to get season tickets. Worth it in the long run I guess.

bigjim1216
1/12/2011, 09:22 AM
I went to the Baylor game last night and Cade never got on the court. Anyone know what's up with that. They hung in there pretty good until the last couple of mins. when they seem to not know what offense they were in, got a shot clock violation, and then let Baylor get a back door slam. It was all over then.

Soonerfan88
1/12/2011, 09:33 AM
Cade's grandmother died, don't think he even traveled with the team.

Soonerite
1/12/2011, 09:57 AM
He dressed but didn't play. Prayers to the Davis family.

OUthunder
1/12/2011, 11:08 AM
I can't stand basketball per say, but if we had a Top 25 program, I'd drive from west Edmond to watch a game or two. Especially since I have small children and would love to take them to a college basketball game for the experience.

Having the Thunder 25 minutes closer to me, doesn't help OU's basketball attendance from my perspective either. Probably other's on this side of town as well, especially with small children on a school night.

Put a good product on the floor and you'll have a good product in the seats. With the economy the way it is, I'm not throwing away money to see a college team play like a bunch of high schoolers.

...sooner
1/12/2011, 11:21 AM
I've been to every game and enjoyed every painful minute of it!! :D

--me too! only saturday was REALLLY painful! :(

-sad but true, but when you cant even sell out with BG.... its gonna be hard to get people in the seats at all. but i was surprised by the size of the crowd saturday!

-yes. i was waiting for my friend in the student section about 45 min before the game started on the 3rd row from the top & someone came down & asked me if i was supposed to be sitting there. i told him i was waiting for someone & he told me i needed to sit in my seat & i said its not going to sell out & its xmas break noone is here & i sit here EVERY game & this is the first time ive been told to move & he said "im just following the rules" & i said mmkay. & turned around

OU_Sooners75
1/13/2011, 01:19 PM

We can have a core of players that work hard, play hard...but when they are as untalented as this group of kids, then why should anyone have to sit through an hour and a half of agony to watch them?

Maybe if Capel didnt sink our ship faster than the speed of light, we would have some fans in the seats...or better yet, maybe if OU would actually have a fan friendly arena to watch the game, then fans would be in the seats.

OU_Sooners75
1/13/2011, 01:21 PM
For a pro team, I would agree with that, no question. Shouldn't be that way for a college team. Hate the coaches if you want, call for their firing, etc., but still show up. That's the way I look at it.

If you are having to pay for a product, you want that product to give you the results you expect.

Sorry, but just because it's a college team doesn't excuse the fact that people that pay expect better than what we currently have.

We have had final four marches, elite 8 marches, and still had open seats...the LNC is just a pathetic venue to watch a basketball game.

OU_Sooners75
1/13/2011, 01:30 PM

I agree...College Basketball lost a lot of luster when the NBA went to their current one and done rule!

Really screwed things up for college basketball!

87sooner
1/15/2011, 08:34 PM
i'm thinking they're feeling duped.....
they thought capel knew what he was doing and they believed him....

bigfatjerk
1/15/2011, 09:11 PM
I agree...College Basketball lost a lot of luster when the NBA went to their current one and done rule!

Really screwed things up for college basketball!

Not really. I think OU got screwed because they did a bad job recruiting. You think Kentucky fans are pissed they lost their entire roster when they just replaced them with 5 good players? They don't care one bit. They have a top 25 team. The reason OU sucks is because of a bad style. All OU does is just stand around hope shots go in. It's a horrible offense to run. And we don't play post defense either. I don't know how anyone can come up with this bad a system.

agoo758
1/18/2011, 06:24 PM

I would point out the ****ing ridiculous 68 team playoff that makes the regular season next to pointless, but then I would hear some stupid argument about the "unfair" BCS. :rolleyes: