PDA

View Full Version : Murder of John P. Wheeler III

MR2-Sooner86
1/8/2011, 02:47 PM
Haven't seen anything from anybody really on this and it's sad. He was one of the guys who helped get the Vietnam Memorial up, was a West Point graduate, attended Yale, and also worked under several presidents.

He was seen in a daze walking the streets December 30th and on December 31st his body was found in a land fill. Nothing is being said by nobody about this when I think people should be.

Murdered ex-Pentagon official, John Wheeler, 'confused' on video before death: cops (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/01/05/2011-01-05_murdered_expentagon_official_john_wheeler_confu sed_on_video_before_death_cops.html)

The probe into how a former Pentagon official ended up in a Delaware landfill took a strange, sad turn Wednesday when video surfaced of him stumbling around in a daze days before he died.

Dressed in a dark suit with no tie or overcoat, carrying his left shoe in his right hand, John Wheeler looked lost and confused as he wandered in a Wilmington parking garage on Dec. 29.

Police said they have other surveillance video showing him inside a historic Wilmington building that houses the headquarters of chemical giant DuPont on the evening of Dec. 30, hours before he was found dead.

The state medical examiner says Wheeler, 66, was murdered.

Police won't say how.

Detectives trying to nail down his final hours found several witnesses in Wilmington - six miles from his home in New Castle, Del. - who saw or spoke to him.

Most mistook the distinguished graduate of West Point, Harvard and Yale, who had a house in Delaware and a luxury condo in Harlem, for a homeless person.

"I thought, "Something is wrong here. The man is lost,'" said Wilmington parking garage attendant Kathleen Boyer, who spoke to a disheveled Wheeler two days before his body fell out of a garbage truck on New Year's Eve.

He told Boyer he'd been robbed, was staying at a downtown hotel and was looking for his Hertz rental car.

Wheeler's own car was parked in his monthly spot in a garage a few blocks away, police said. His comfortable home sat empty in nearby New Castle.

"He looked like he was tired. His eyes was very red. We didn't smell no alcohol," Boyer told WTXF-TV in Philadelphia. "I thought the man had [dementia] or something."

Boyer said she offered him money, but he wouldn't take it, saying he only wanted directions to Front St., a main drag in town that he should have been familiar with.

Wheeler worked in the federal government for decades and was best known as the man who got the Vietnam Veterans Memorial built in Washington.

His wife, Katherine Klyce, runs a Cambodian textile company out of their Manhattan apartment.

Klyce was out of town when her husband went missing. A neighbor reported hearing a TV blaring loudly for days straight inside the empty New Castle home.

Wheeler's military career included writing a manual on chemical weapons, a fact that spawned numerous conspiracy theories on the Internet.

Wheeler last spoke to his lawyer, Bayard Marin, on Dec. 27. Marin said he seemed fine.

The following day, Wheeler took Amtrak to Wilmington from his consulting job at a defense firm outside Washington, cops said.

That night, some rodent-control smoke bombs were tossed into the unfinished home of a neighbor whom Wheeler is suing.

Wheeler seems to have spent the next two days wandering. In the Wilmington garage video obtained by the Associated Press, he appears very erratic.

Police said Wheeler was in the historic Nemours Building as late as 8:30 p.m. Thursday.

His body apparently ended up in nearby Newark, Del., sometime before 4 a.m. Friday, when the trash truck he was found in began making pickups.

The body was discovered at 10 a.m. Friday when the truck dumped its contents at a Wilmington landfill.

ue6fNVjIaJA&feature

Some are saying he just got drunk and had an accident but I'm not buying it. He sure doesn't look drunk to me. However, I'm also not buying the Alex Jones angle that he knew something about all the dead birds and fish recently and was going to spill the beans. We'll probably sadly never know though.

SoonerStormchaser
1/8/2011, 03:03 PM
This one has me mystified too...we'll see what comes out of the investigation.

Breadburner
1/8/2011, 05:27 PM
Maybe not drunk but something is the matter....Walking around with one shoe in your hand is not normal behavior.....

John Kochtoston
1/9/2011, 06:05 AM
He is featured prominently in the book "The Long Gray Line," about the West Point class of 1966, which suffered the highest Vietnam casualty rate of all West Point classes. Interesting read.

And, not to speak ill of the dead, but there were some serious accusations of impropriety against him when he was incharfe of the fundraising for the Vietnam Memorial.

MR2-Sooner86
1/9/2011, 01:47 PM
And, not to speak ill of the dead, but there were some serious accusations of impropriety against him when he was incharfe of the fundraising for the Vietnam Memorial.

Tell you the truth I really don't know. I just find it odd this whole story seems very odd concerning everything and it was passed over by the media and everybody.

3rdgensooner
1/9/2011, 02:03 PM
Tell you the truth I really don't know. I just find it odd this whole story seems very odd concerning everything and it was passed over by the media and everybody.
I've seen pieces about it on a couple of different news programs, but it has been under the radar a bit.

lexsooner
1/9/2011, 03:07 PM
He is featured prominently in the book "The Long Gray Line," about the West Point class of 1966, which suffered the highest Vietnam casualty rate of all West Point classes. Interesting read.

Yes, it was a good book. Wheeler was a complex individual, exceptionally bright, probably more cut out as a CEO type than a career officer. He probably should have gone to Princeton, but bowed to his Dad Big Jack's expectations and went to West Point. I hope they solve this mystery. It seems like the Class of 1966 detailed in Rick Atkinson's book has suffered not only a high war casualty rate but also a high amount of other tragedies.