PDA

View Full Version : What is your "getting over a cold" gameplan?

waynepayne
1/8/2011, 01:11 PM
I went and got OJ, echinachea (sp?) and am making some homemade soup. I have walked the dog and plan on spending the next 12 hrs on the couch.

I have got the weekend to get over this.

:(

sooner ngintunr
1/8/2011, 01:16 PM
Gargling with warm salt water always works wonders for me when I'm sick.

Commence with the jackassery.:D

waynepayne
1/8/2011, 01:18 PM
Gargling with warm salt water always works wonders for me when I'm sick.

Commence with the jackassery.:D

Not at all, my mom always made me do that as a kid and I am going to add it to my list.

ty.

yermom
1/8/2011, 01:55 PM
nyquil and sleep

3rdgensooner
1/8/2011, 01:58 PM
If you have access to a steam room, that can help.

opksooner
1/8/2011, 02:00 PM
Aspirin + vitamin C + nyquil + hot tea w/Southern Comfort and honey + lotsa sleep = feel better in 7 days.

Do nothing = feel better in about a week.

waynepayne
1/8/2011, 02:15 PM
If you have access to a steam room, that can help.

thats hawt but no I do not.

I do have my Vicks humidifier going.

A Sooner in Texas
1/8/2011, 02:16 PM
thats hawt but no I do not.

I do have my Vicks humidifier going.

A long, hot steamy shower will help loosen phlegm and probably help you feel somewhat better. Can't hurt. Hope you feel better quick!

waynepayne
1/8/2011, 02:18 PM
A long, hot steamy shower will help loosen phlegm and probably help you feel somewhat better. Can't hurt. Hope you feel better quick!

That was starting to sound hawt also until I got to the word phlegm ;)

Thanks! :)

Penguin
1/8/2011, 02:40 PM
Only time cures a cold. Just treat the symptoms the best you can.

Penguin
1/8/2011, 02:41 PM
Oh, and for the symptoms, I suggest Sudafed during the day, Nyquil at night.

silverwheels
1/8/2011, 02:53 PM
Spicy food. Soup (can be combined with spicy food). Orange juice. Shower reliever effervescent tablets. Plenty of Advil Cold & Sinus. Sleep.

waynepayne
1/8/2011, 02:57 PM
Spicy food. Soup (can be combined with spicy food). Orange juice. Shower reliever effervescent tablets. Plenty of Advil Cold & Sinus. Sleep.

I have already decided if I still feel like poop tomorrow I am going to Pho Cuong, ordering a #8 and putting sriracha in it until it looks and feels like a bowl of lava.

silverwheels
1/8/2011, 02:58 PM
Don't forget that pepper paste stuff.

olevetonahill
1/8/2011, 03:26 PM
I take 3 shots of OVJ, followed by another shot every hour till Pass out time , repeat daily till well :cool:

silverwheels
1/8/2011, 03:42 PM
I take 3 shots of OVJ, followed by another shot every hour till Pass out time , repeat daily till well :cool:

Don't you do that anyway?

olevetonahill
1/8/2011, 03:54 PM
Don't you do that anyway?

Yup
And I aint sick No Mo either ;)

AlbqSooner
1/8/2011, 04:15 PM
Smear Vicks Vapo Rub on the soles of your feet. Put some sock on the keep from getting all over everything and go to sleep. Seriously. I have no idea why it works, but I know several moms who swear it provides symptomatic relief to their kids and hubbies.

waynepayne
1/8/2011, 04:15 PM
Smear Vicks Vapo Rub on the sole of your feet. Put some sock on the keep from getting all over everything and go to sleep. Seriously. I have no idea why it works, but I know several moms who swear it provides symptomatic relief to their kids and hubbies.

I do that occasionally with petroleum jelly to keep my feet soft. I am not sure how Vicks would feel! :eek:

soonerchk
1/8/2011, 04:19 PM
Drug yourself unconscious until it's over.

olevetonahill
1/8/2011, 04:38 PM

Drug yourself unconscious until it's over.

Aint that what I said ? :D

soonerchk
1/8/2011, 04:48 PM
Aint that what I said ? :D

Yes, I believe it is, but not everyone has access to OVJ. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

olevetonahill
1/8/2011, 05:02 PM
Yes, I believe it is, but not everyone has access to OVJ. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

:D

Breadburner
1/8/2011, 05:23 PM
A blow-job every 4 hours......

soonerchk
1/8/2011, 05:24 PM
A blow-job every 4 hours......

Since her nose is already stuffed up, it might kill her.:eek:

hawaii 5-0
1/8/2011, 05:42 PM
Smear a mustard plaster all over your head. Keep it there for about 10 days and you'll feel better. Remember that Beverly Hillbilly episode when banker Drysdale came down with a cold and Granny gave him her 'cure'?

Seriously, some hot/sour soup from a chinese restaurant helps with the congestion symptoms, but nothing will flat out kill the virus. All you can do is treat symptoms.

5-0

A Sooner in Texas
1/8/2011, 06:07 PM
I do that occasionally with petroleum jelly to keep my feet soft. I am not sure how Vicks would feel! :eek:

Oooooohhhhh....tingly. ;)

I've actually heard about the Vaporub/feet trick too.

olevetonahill
1/8/2011, 06:12 PM

Heh, when I use Petroleum jelly on a woman I dont put it on her Feet :hot:

OUthunder
1/8/2011, 06:23 PM
Bourbon and Vicodin.

waynepayne
1/8/2011, 06:30 PM
Heh, when I use Petroleum jelly on a woman I dont put it on her Feet :hot:

http://www.whowouldkickass.com/_images/t_large/039c0f2aa8db4e858338936f9292929c.jpg

AlboSooner
1/8/2011, 06:49 PM
rest, hot tea, boil water and breathe in the steam if your sinuses are blocked, if your throat hurts gargle with salted water, rest some more.

waynepayne
1/8/2011, 07:14 PM
rest, hot tea, boil water and breathe in the steam if your sinuses are blocked, if your throat hurts gargle with salted water, rest some more.

Thank you Albie :)

Breadburner
1/8/2011, 08:53 PM
Since her nose is already stuffed up, it might kill her.:eek:

I always find the ones with gills behind their ears and do it in the hot tub.....:cool:

usaosooner
1/8/2011, 08:55 PM
Mega Dose on Vitamin C + Warm Soups + Nyquil

StoopTroup
1/8/2011, 08:59 PM
Try a neti pot but don't let it drip on your boobs. :D

http://www.myyogamylife.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/neti-pot3.jpg

Preservation Parcels
1/9/2011, 05:52 PM
Drink lots of water and only water or clear non-caffeinated tea. OJ causes phlegm. Avoid milk in any form. Avoid sugar of all kinds; it kills your immune system. Eat hot and sour soup or chicken soup, but try to avoid white noodles. Guaifenesin (tussin) will break up chest congestion. Take Vitamin C every couple of hours. It washes out of your body quickly, so frequent, small doses work more effectively than mega doses once or twice a day. Take long, steamy showers. Sleep.

These steps will give your body what it needs to fight off a cold in a couple of days. You'll still be a little "coughy" for a couple more mornings, but you'll feel surprisingly better quickly.

C O R N * D O G
1/9/2011, 05:54 PM
my lord and savior jesus christ will make it all better

DIB
1/9/2011, 06:28 PM
Emergen-C in the morning and Hot Toddies all day.

Blue
1/9/2011, 06:31 PM
Drinking Airborne right now.

TitoMorelli
1/9/2011, 07:46 PM
Saline spray for the nose - will clear some sinus congestion without the side effects of the OTC nasal sprays.

Alka-Seltzer Cold tablets (they dissolve in water) work well for me for during the day.

SunnySooner
1/9/2011, 08:40 PM
OMG, what a bunch of effin' hillbillies, nobody even MENTIONS zinc?!?!??!? Hie thyself to the store and get thyself some zinc lozenges. They will no **** cut your cold in half. I ain't even kiddin'. I'm a mother of a kindergartener. She brings home **** they ain't even identified yet. At first sniffle, start chokin' those suckers back, and before you know it, you don't have a cold anymore.

Srsly, it's freaky. Must be some kinda alien intel, all I know is I haven't had a full blown cold since Vet was a boy. And that's a long frickin' time...;)

p.s. They taste like dirt, but it's worth it.

proud gonzo
1/9/2011, 10:32 PM
yep, i second the zinc answer. And neti pots dont work as well as the sinus rinse bottles. A neti pot only uses gravity so if your nose is actually clogged, it wont do a thing for it. The squirt bottle, however, will work wonders.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/223/489751666_9d8d5290e9.jpg

yermom
1/9/2011, 10:42 PM
just don't overdo the zinc :rolleyes:

boomerinhou
1/9/2011, 11:42 PM
HOW TO GET OVER YOUR COLD WITHIN MINUTES

If you really want to get over a cold within minutes, just follow these six easy steps:

(1). Go out to the garage and get your ball-peen hammer.
(2). Bring the ball-peen hammer into your kitchen.
(3). Place your left hand flat on the kitchen countertop (palm down).
(4). Hold the ball-peen hammer firmly in your right hand.
(5). While in your right hand, raise the ball-peen hammer above your head.
(6). With all of your energy, strike your left hand with the ball-peen hammer.

You are now over your cold.

:D

SanJoaquinSooner
1/9/2011, 11:56 PM
on the zinc deal, I've used zicam. It appears to me it makes the cold less severe. I've read there have been complaints of loss of smell with this though.

I second the niquil, lots of sleep.

I can't believe no one mentioned caldo de res!

proud gonzo
1/10/2011, 12:06 AM
on the zinc deal, I've used zicam. It appears to me it makes the cold less severe. I've read there have been complaints of loss of smell with this though.

I think the issue is that the zicam just goes inside the nostrils but some people incorrectly sniff it up into the sinuses and that's what does the damage. I may be wrong, though.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/10/2011, 01:14 AM
Zicam, I like the Rapidmelts, since the govt. made them discontinue the Nasal gel. It prevents secondary infections like bronchitis, pneumonia and sinus infection. Oftentimes shortens duration of the cold.

For symptoms, generic diphenhydramine and loratadine.

CrimsonKel
1/10/2011, 07:16 AM
Consume a lot of antioxidants.

How antioxidants help cure the common cold - http://www.helium.com/items/176846-how-antioxidants-help-cure-the-common-cold

waynepayne
1/10/2011, 08:36 AM

Its tricky to get here which is why I mentioned Pho earlier.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I already do the sinus rinse with the bottle not the neti pot and have been taking Emergen-C.

I still feel like poo so tonight I am moving onto gin.

OUmillenium
1/10/2011, 11:41 AM
sudafed + mucinex helps clear your head if stuffed up

recently been using nose cleaning spray/sea salt spray at the first sign of nasal irregularity and seems to be very preventative. I have not been sick this fall/winter, yet.

Nyquil at night a must if you don't feel well...its the benadryl that knocks you out

One of the best things I have found to get through the day is red bull or similar energy drink. The last few years it has really helped me when I have had a cold that saps strenth. Also, helps counteract drowsy effects of certain medications.

soonerchk
1/10/2011, 12:58 PM
Its tricky to get here which is why I mentioned Pho earlier.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I already do the sinus rinse with the bottle not the neti pot and have been taking Emergen-C.

I still feel like poo so tonight I am moving onto gin.

If you had just started with gin, you wouldn't care how you felt.

C&CDean
1/10/2011, 01:55 PM
The orange juice thing is a bunch of crap.

Lots of water is what you need. Soups and teas. If you're achy, some ibuprofen. Benadryl at night to sleep. That's it. Nyquil is the crap. It has the counter-affect on me. It keeps me amped and feeling like **** all night. **** that nyquil.

waynepayne
1/10/2011, 02:19 PM
If you had just started with gin, you wouldn't care how you felt.

never have truer words been typed.

Aldebaran
1/10/2011, 02:25 PM
My sister swears by airborne.