PDA

View Full Version : Legislature to Consider Court Packing

Midtowner
1/8/2011, 11:44 AM
http://www.newsok.com/oklahoma-supreme-court-districts-may-be-redrawn/article/3530527?custom_click=headlines_widget

The state Senate will consider new boundaries for the state's nine Supreme Court districts as part of the redistricting process this year.
Redistricting of the state criminal and civil appeals courts will also be considered, Senate Pro Tem Brian Bingman, R-Sapulpa, announced this week.

The Senate will also study whether to add more Supreme Court districts, which would alter the makeup of the state's highest court.

So Henry has made 6 out of the last 9 picks, and not a one of 'em are political shills. A recent state question has politicized the Judicial Nomination Commission, so our string of apolitical Supreme Court appointments is probably at an end. I can see how the current legislature is concerned that much of their legislation won't see the light of day because it's unconstitutional. So instead of amending the constitution, they'll just pack the court with political shills so they can rewrite the rules in their favor.

Single party rule isn't a good thing.

Okla-homey
1/8/2011, 01:05 PM
This is precisely why I, a lifelong 'Pub, wanted Jari Askins to win the Governor's Mansion. Single party rule is a very bad thing.

I'll say something else, this Okie GOP mantra of making Oklahoma "business-friendly" is code for sticking it to the little guy. Always has been. Always will.

The thing I find so difficult to understand, is why so many of my fellow Oklahomans will gleefully vote against their own self-interests if the candidate seeking their vote wraps himself or herself in Scripture, Guns and the Constitution. Even in the majority of cases where said candidate is no more qualified to interpret scripture or the Constitution than a Starbucks barista.

I also admit, I'm one of those "moderate" 'Pubs neanderthals like to call a "neo-con."

yermom
1/8/2011, 01:58 PM
The thing I find so difficult to understand, is why so many of my fellow Oklahomans will gleefully vote against their own self-interests if the candidate seeking their vote wraps himself or herself in Scripture, Guns and the Constitution. Even in the majority of cases where said candidate is no more qualified to interpret scripture or the Constitution than a Starbucks barista.

i agreed with this when Obama said it, although apparently less eloquently

sperry
1/9/2011, 01:48 AM
This is precisely why I, a lifelong 'Pub, wanted Jari Askins to win the Governor's Mansion. Single party rule is a very bad thing.

I'll say something else, this Okie GOP mantra of making Oklahoma "business-friendly" is code for sticking it to the little guy. Always has been. Always will.

I also admit, I'm one of those "moderate" 'Pubs neanderthals like to call a "neo-con."

People are stupid, and Oklahoma has one of the worst education systems in the country, which just exacerbates that fact.

Citizens don't do anything about the fact that congress does nothing but bicker among themselves, while running up astronomical bills that the country can't pay for.

Our current political system is just broken. Both parties are worthless, and they can't get anything accomplished because they're too caught up in partisan BS.

mgsooner
1/9/2011, 02:12 AM
i like cheese.

Midtowner
1/9/2011, 04:09 PM
Citizens don't do anything about the fact that congress does nothing but bicker among themselves, while running up astronomical bills that the country can't pay for.

This thread ain't about Congress. It's about the state legislature.

Okieflyer
1/9/2011, 04:14 PM
sperry it's not that people are stupid. Its the reality that people are not given or will not seek facts for themselves. I think the American people, when given truth, will make good decisions. It's just we seem to have a lot of liars in politics.

soonercruiser
1/9/2011, 11:26 PM

AMEN!
:D

Midtowner
1/10/2011, 09:13 AM
sperry it's not that people are stupid. Its the reality that people are not given or will not seek facts for themselves. I think the American people, when given truth, will make good decisions. It's just we seem to have a lot of liars in politics.

Blame the Demoncrats for not even trying to get out their own distinct message, and instead running as Republican-lite.

saucysoonergal
1/10/2011, 10:42 AM
Henry has appointed very good Judges to the highest court. Some of them are quite conservative too.

Midtowner
1/10/2011, 11:40 AM
Henry has appointed very good Judges to the highest court. Some of them are quite conservative too.

True. The most recent, Noma Gurich, was previously appointed twice by Republicans. By Bellmon to the Workers Compensation Court and by Keating to the Oklahoma County District Court.

At any rate, the more I think about this, the less surprised I am to see it happening. Considering what happened last session, with the courts striking down Republican legislation left and right (stuff which as clearly unconstitutional), I'd frankly be surprised if the Republicans didn't do something to gain some control of this rogue third branch of the government.

At this point, I'd also be pretty surprised if any voter backlash occurred over such a move. Folks are so disconnected from state politics that they tend to be only marginally aware that the state government even exists.

okie52
1/10/2011, 12:08 PM

I wish I was presented an option from the dems that I could vote for in an Oklahoma election. Askins seemed like a nice, qualified candidate. But she, like Henry, are still required to give their "oath of allegiance" to whatever national candidates the dems put forth regardless of whether their views and/or policies would be toxic for Oklahoma.

So when the local dems tell Oklahomans that they should support a Barack Obama or a John Kerry or a Al Gore, they are "miffed" when Okies vote their pocketbooks. How would any of the last 3 candidates been for the oil industry in OK? Kind of an important economic segment in OK to cast aside in the name of party allegiance not to mention the damage many Okies may see in the nation's quest for energy independence. Ole Brad Henry touted Obama for President and then was writing Obama a letter within the next year asking him to please modify his policies to not be so harmful to the oil and gas industry. You mean he didn't see that coming before he endorsed him?

soonerscuba
1/10/2011, 12:18 PM
I wish I was presented an option from the dems that I could vote for in an Oklahoma election. Askins seemed like a nice, qualified candidate. But she, like Henry, are still required to give their "oath of allegiance" to whatever national candidates the dems put forth regardless of whether their views and/or policies would be toxic for Oklahoma.

So when the local dems tell Oklahomans that they should support a Barack Obama or a John Kerry or a Al Gore, they are "miffed" when Okies vote their pocketbooks. How would any of the last 3 candidates been for the oil industry in OK? Kind of an important economic segment in OK to cast aside in the name of party allegiance not to mention the damage many Okies may see in the nation's quest for energy independence. Ole Brad Henry touted Obama for President and then was writing Obama a letter within the next year asking him to please modify his policies to not be so harmful to the oil and gas industry. You mean he didn't see that coming before he endorsed him?No offense, but if you couldn't vote for Askin, there literally might not be a single Democrat you could vote for, given your confluence of federal and state policy being mutually exclusive to each other.

okie52
1/10/2011, 12:28 PM
No offense, but if you couldn't vote for Askin, there literally might not be a single Democrat you could vote for, given your confluence of federal and state policy being mutually exclusive to each other.

Dan Boren might have been the closest since he said he would not endorse Obama but he would vote for him. A dodge for his district for sure, but the closest I have seen a dem come to disassociating himself from the national candidate.

If a candidate such as Henry, or Askins, can tell Okies that an anti oil candidate is best for OK then where are their priorities? Carrying the party banner is more important than energy policies that would be toxic to Okies?
What on earth would make an Okie think that Henry and/or Askins might not find it expedient to enact policies locally that would also be harmful to the state in those areas?

While the Repubs are just as guilty of carrying the party banner it is rarely as toxic to this state as what the dems must embrace.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/10/2011, 12:34 PM

So when the local dems tell Oklahomans that they should support a Barack Obama or a John Kerry or a Al Gore, they are "miffed" when Okies vote their pocketbooks. How would any of the last 3 candidates been for the oil industry in OK? Kind of an important economic segment in OK to cast aside in the name of party allegiance not to mention the damage many Okies may see in the nation's quest for energy independence. Ole Brad Henry touted Obama for President and then was writing Obama a letter within the next year asking him to please modify his policies to not be so harmful to the oil and gas industry. You mean he didn't see that coming before he endorsed him?Duh! Amazing how some folks don't see this .

okie52
1/10/2011, 12:43 PM
Duh! Amazing how some folks don't see this .

Our fearless president, David Boren, went out on a limb to publicly support Obama. He said he did so as a "private citizen" and was not speaking for the university. He was also "miffed" by his son Dan's non endorsement of Obama.

Now our university president felt the public should know where he stood on the election although he could have kept his opinions to himself and not heard another word about it. But he chose to use a public forum to let his position be known in spite of the fact that the university receives millions of dollars in grants from the oil industry which has enabled OU to have one of the best energy departments in the country.

Boren's public announcement carried so much weight that Obama managed to lose all 77 counties in OK.

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2011, 01:10 PM
People are stupid, and Oklahoma has one of the worst education systems in the country, which just exacerbates that fact.

So this is all the education systems fault?

Don't you need to blame "parent 1 and parent 2" just a little?

Teachers can only teach so much . . . not touching homework or being involved with your kid's education as a parent plays as much or more of a role than the teacher/education system.

C&CDean
1/10/2011, 01:19 PM
Yes, people are stupid. In fact, the educated ones are some of the stupidest. Look no further than your average college prof.

Zbird
1/10/2011, 05:39 PM
Intelligence is inversely proportional to the redness of your neck.