PDA

View Full Version : Does Lester have any future in Michigan

cleller
1/8/2011, 10:11 AM
Got sidetracked reading some of the Michigan rumors, and heard some things about Les that were new to me. I'm sure this is not news to some folks here, but for others:

A post about Les on Michigan fan board: (quote)

He slept with Moeller's wife while Mo was HC and Miles was on staff (and was promptly removed once Lloyd became the coach), and he told recruits on the recruiting trail that Lloyd had Parkinson's and wouldn't be around if they went to Michigan.

A story about Moeller's arrest in 1995; drunk obnoxious and cursing his wife:

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19950503&slug=2119004

SoonerinSouthlake
1/8/2011, 10:27 AM
I think LESTERS window opened, then closed 2 years ago for Michigan
My belief is that there was a lot of truth to Herbstriets reprort that he was all but there....then the early reports and probably some unknown factors changed is mind.

Now he will spend the rest of his carreer denying intrest in Michigan every single time the coaching carosel opens up there..

Exactly like Bob and Florida

olevetonahill
1/8/2011, 10:37 AM
Can he just go swimming woth some shat eating fish ?

Theres Just sumpum wormy lookin about him

OUstud
1/8/2011, 12:54 PM
Moeller, 54, was suspended with pay Monday from his $130,000-a-year job.

Wow. You would think this story was from the 70s.

chad
1/8/2011, 01:02 PM
I'm hearing that Les is going to Michigan. He apparently wouldn't talk about his future with LSU until after the bowl game at which point he said he's talking to michigan.

A more shocking bit of information is that Bo Pelini is said to have asked Osborn if he can talk to LSU officials and they apparently already have a meeting set up.
This info is coming from someone inside the Nebraska Athletic office.

yermom
1/8/2011, 02:25 PM
Pelini publicly expressed interest in Miami or something earlier, didn't he?

hmm, i guess he denied it later. his name keeps coming up though. i wonder if Osborn wants him out

Okie35
1/8/2011, 03:04 PM
Pelini publicly expressed interest in Miami or something earlier, didn't he?

hmm, i guess he denied it later. his name keeps coming up though. i wonder if Osborn wants him out

He doesn't. He eventually forbid Pelini to talk about the whole Miami situation.

Scott D
1/8/2011, 03:59 PM
There is no Lester, only Leslie

cleller
1/8/2011, 04:06 PM
There is no Lester, only Leslie

I think I knew that, but Lester just rolls off the tongue.

Forgot to add, bjt the feeling of a lot of Michigan folks is that LesterLIE is no longer welcome there. He's violated a cardinal rule.

The rule may be petering out now that they've gone thru the whole RichRod thing.

soonerchk
1/8/2011, 04:09 PM
I'm hearing that Les is going to Michigan. He apparently wouldn't talk about his future with LSU until after the bowl game at which point he said he's talking to michigan.

A more shocking bit of information is that Bo Pelini is said to have asked Osborn if he can talk to LSU officials and they apparently already have a meeting set up.

I've been hearing for 2 weeks that Lester is going to Michigan. The Pelini to LSU is a little surprising, but stranger things have happened.

ashley
1/8/2011, 04:39 PM
Les does not have the most likeable demeaner but he is a hell of a coach.

SoonerinSouthlake
1/8/2011, 06:10 PM

Pelini's out of control temper and personality fit LSU better than Nebbish.

makes perfect sense to me.

PLaw
1/8/2011, 06:17 PM
Pelini's out of control temper and personality fit LSU better than Nebbish.

makes perfect sense to me.

Hell, Dr. Tom will eventually come out of retirement because he can't find a protoge that reminds him of himself.

I really hate the corn.

Boomer

Scott D
1/8/2011, 06:19 PM
I haven't heard anything about Leslie taking over in Ann Arbor. It wouldn't surprise me, but I certainly haven't heard anything. As for the Lloyd Carr rumors, Carr isn't really with the Athletic Department anymore so that roadblock would be out of Leslie's way, and Moeller's time as head coach is far enough removed from the program that the incoming Freshman class probably couldn't tell you that Moeller was ever the head coach at Michigan.

And yes, I was up here when Moeller had his drunken incident at a restaurant in Southfield, MI. And that same restaurant has gone through two transformations since that incident and is currently a Sports Bar ironically called "The Pub".

I'd still think that right now, Brady Hoke is the likely main candidate.

cleller
1/8/2011, 10:42 PM
Then's there's LesterLIE's demands about the type of turf, its length, tenderness, sodium level....

Penguin
1/8/2011, 11:09 PM
University of Michigan plane was spotted at the Baton Rouge airport (http://www.wwl.com/Mystery-U-of-Michigan-plane-in-Baton-Rouge-/8937122)

It's just about a done deal, folks. Miles to Michigan, Pelini to LSU.

SoonerinSouthlake
1/9/2011, 09:18 AM
University of Michigan plane was spotted at the Baton Rouge airport (http://www.wwl.com/Mystery-U-of-Michigan-plane-in-Baton-Rouge-/8937122)

It's just about a done deal, folks. Miles to Michigan, Pelini to LSU.

And the UF plane/Jeremy Foley were spotted in Norman 9 years ago.

It may happen

but just sayin....done deal? nope

Whet
1/9/2011, 10:14 AM
I heard the UM plane was bringing samples of the turf from their stadium, so Lester could try it out, to see if he likes the taste.

Flagstaffsooner
1/9/2011, 10:25 AM
4.9 earthquake reported in Ann Arbor. Bo spinning in his grave.

Harry Beanbag
1/9/2011, 11:20 AM
Stoops to Nebraska?

OUthunder
1/9/2011, 12:33 PM
My source in Columbus, OH: Miles has been offered the Michigan job. Now, he waits for an LSU counter offer.

Personally, I think he is a perfect fit at LSU...crazy bastard.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/9/2011, 12:40 PM
My source in Columbus, OH: Miles has been offered the Michigan job. Now, he waits for an LSU counter offer.

Personally, I think he is a perfect fit at LSU...crazy bastard.Leslie is a good coach. A weird, good coach. I want him out of Louisiana, but Pelini would do well there, too, I'm afraid. That state has SO much football talent, it's scary.

soonerchk
1/9/2011, 01:20 PM
Stoops to Nebraska?

Mark? Doubtful. He won't want to be in the same conference with Mike, will he? I would think all the Stoops boys would prefer to not play each other every season.

SoonerStormchaser
1/9/2011, 02:48 PM
Mike Stoops to Nebraska!

3rdgensooner
1/9/2011, 02:57 PM
Mark? Doubtful. He won't want to be in the same conference with Mike, will he? I would think all the Stoops boys would prefer to not play each other every season.
Mike is in the Big Ten? I'm so confused.

StoopTroup
1/9/2011, 03:06 PM
Leslie is a good coach. A weird, good coach. I want him out of Louisiana, but Pelini would do well there, too, I'm afraid. That state has SO much football talent, it's scary.

Which State? Louisiana or Michigan? I mean....they both might have some decent talent but neither of them is Scary Talent.

You're making it sound like at least one of them has a well where they have their Football Players drink from that allows them to dominate all of College Football. I'll take a kid from anywhere in Oklahoma every year than a kid that was some prodigy you have to babysit 24/7 because the apple cider or dirty rice isn't as good in Norman as it was at Home.

Now...if the kids Parent's were OU Grads or originally from Oklahoma....then sign him up if he's Scary good.

soonerchk
1/9/2011, 03:42 PM
Mike is in the Big Ten? I'm so confused.

Oh that's right, Colorado went Pac 10. Sure, maybe Mark will go to Nebraska?

Harry Beanbag
1/9/2011, 08:33 PM

Noob.

Scott D
1/10/2011, 02:47 PM
We'll see how it goes...since they're reporting that Leslie is meeting with Dave Brandon and UM tomorrow.

All I can say at this point, that I don't know how much I'll buy the "Alma Mater" talk and go along with what one radio talk show host up here said in that considering that LSU is nicely poised for a potential MNC run next season there has to be something that isn't known that has created the poisoned well that would make Leslie step away from that opportunity.

yermom
1/10/2011, 02:49 PM
aren't they getting antsy with him at LSU though?

Scott D
1/10/2011, 02:56 PM
That's what I said :)

SoonerinSouthlake
1/10/2011, 02:56 PM
http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2011/01/10/les-miles-anticipates-meeting-with-michigan-reportedly-as-soon/

Les Miles Anticipates Meeting With Michigan, Reportedly as Soon as Tuesday
By FanHouse Staff
Text SizeAAA
Print this page|EmailShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Lifestream
LSU coach Les Miles confirmed on Monday that he expects to meet with Michigan officials regarding the Wolverines' vacant head coaching position, and multiple reports indicate that a meeting between Miles and Michigan athletic director David Brandon could take place as soon as Tuesday.

Speaking at a press conference to announce cornerback Patrick Peterson's intention to enter the 2011 NFL Draft, Miles told reporters that nobody from Michigan had contacted him directly and he had no knowledge of a timetable for a meeting, but he nonetheless anticipated a meeting taking place. He also said that he could not speculate on the substance of such a meeting.

However, Miles also noted that he is "extremely happy" at LSU and that his family is very comfortable in Baton Rouge, La.

Miles' current contract with LSU runs through the 2014 season, with him scheduled to make $3.7 million annually. He would have to pay the school a $1.25 million buyout if he were to leave.

Miles succeeded Nick Saban as LSU head coach in 2005, compiling a 62-17 record in the six seasons since, including a national championship in 2007. He was a two-year letterman at Michigan from 1974-75 and twice served as an assistant under Bo Schembechler, fueling speculation since his rise to coaching stardom that he could eventually return to Michigan as head coach.

Michigan fired former head coach Rich Rodriguez last week following three seasons in charge and a disappointing 15-22 record, but has struggled to attract many big-name candidates, most notably being spurned by Wolverines alumnus Jim Harbaugh, who instead opted to make the leap to the pro coaching ranks with the San Francisco 49ers.

TUSooner
1/10/2011, 03:11 PM
I doubt even Les is stupid enough to leave LSU. He's got it made there-- money, tons of talent itching to commit (so much that he can renege on scholarship offers made to lesser talents), SEC "prestige." And LSU has been one of the top programs in the USA since Saban lifted them up and they beat OU, so he's just building on top of success. Plus, people in Baton Rouge have nothing against sleazy prevaricators; in fact, they kind-of admire them. In short Les was MADE for LSU, because both are obnoxious and repulsive to all outsiders. Even if Michigan REALLY wanted him, they couldn't pay him enough to leave Baton Rouge. Ol' Les is just angling for more money from LSU (NTTAWWT) and has no intention of going north.

Disclaimer: oudavid1 has not approved of this post.

humblesooner
1/10/2011, 04:59 PM
I think Les likes the attention. I would love to see him go to Michigan. But I think the visit is 1) with a friend and ex-teammate and 2) just for the attention he will get.
My guess is he will not go to Michigan, then regret the decision when he goes 6-6 at LSU next year and gets canned.

TUSooner
1/10/2011, 05:04 PM
I think Les likes the attention. I would love to see him go to Michigan. But I think the visit is 1) with a friend and ex-teammate and 2) just for the attention he will get.
My guess is he will not go to Michigan, then regret the decision when he goes 6-6 at LSU next year and gets canned.

The chances of LSU going 6-6 next year are about the same as me finding your house and painting "The Scream" on your front porch in yak's blood.
IOW... no way.

soonergirlNeugene
1/10/2011, 05:25 PM
Really, with their delusional expectations, track record of coaching turnover recently, and all this fussiness about hiring a "Michigan Man" -- as well as the way that the last coach got almost no support from the boosters, fans, and I'd even venture to say the athletic dept, honestly who in their right mind would want to take the Michigan job?

Scott D
1/10/2011, 05:46 PM
Really, with their delusional expectations, track record of coaching turnover recently, and all this fussiness about hiring a "Michigan Man" -- as well as the way that the last coach got almost no support from the boosters, fans, and I'd even venture to say the athletic dept, honestly who in their right mind would want to take the Michigan job?

what turnover? They've had 4 head coaches in the last 42 years. Their track record of that time period leans to whoever the next head coach is likely being here for at least 10 years.

Schembechler 21 yrs
Moeller 5 years (fired due to public drunken incident)
Carr 13 years
Rodriguez 3 years (fired due to overall ineptitude)

Scott D
1/10/2011, 05:53 PM
Another odd thought on this process as was related by Drew Sharp.

It's pretty much settled that it's going to be either Les Miles or Brady Hoke. And it'll come down to which "camp" has more say in the process. The old school Bo Schembechler camp, or the Lloyd Carr camp. The Carr camp would end up with Hoke as the HC.

1/10/2011, 05:59 PM
I doubt even Les is stupid enough to leave LSU. He's got it made there-- money, tons of talent itching to commit (so much that he can renege on scholarship offers made to lesser talents), SEC "prestige." And LSU has been one of the top programs in the USA since Saban lifted them up and they beat OU, so he's just building on top of success. Plus, people in Baton Rouge have nothing against sleazy prevaricators; in fact, they kind-of admire them. In short Les was MADE for LSU, because both are obnoxious and repulsive to all outsiders. Even if Michigan REALLY wanted him, they couldn't pay him enough to leave Baton Rouge. Ol' Les is just angling for more money from LSU (NTTAWWT) and has no intention of going north.

One of your best posts...(but watch this prediction be WRONG!)

1/10/2011, 06:01 PM
Really, with their delusional expectations, track record of coaching turnover recently, and all this fussiness about hiring a "Michigan Man" -- as well as the way that the last coach got almost no support from the boosters, fans, and I'd even venture to say the athletic dept, honestly who in their right mind would want to take the Michigan job?That school DOES appear to be a bit on the arrogant side, doesn't it?!