PDA

View Full Version : Beauty and the Beast tonight at 7pm LNC

Fraggle145
1/7/2011, 05:57 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/w-gym/spec-rel/010611aad.html

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/010611aaa.html

Women's gymnastics faces No. 11 Arkansas in 2011 season opener on Friday at 7 p.m.

NORMAN, Okla. - The fourth-ranked Oklahoma women's gymnastics team opens its 2011 season Friday as the Sooners host No. 11 Arkansas in Oklahoma's annual "Beauty and the Beast" night, competing side-by-side with the eighth-ranked OU wrestling team at the Lloyd Noble Center at 7 p.m.

"We've been training really hard this preseason and it's time for us to get out there and see what we are capable of," OU head coach K.J. Kindler said. "We need a measuring stick. We need to know where we measure up right now so that we can continue to push forward and make improvements."

Both OU and Arkansas finished last season at the NCAA Championships. OU finished a program-best second place in its first Super Six appearance while the Razorbacks finished 11th.

"I absolutely think that Arkansas is underrated," Kindler said. "They're always incredibly prepared. Their coaches do a phenomenal job getting them mentally and physically prepared for competitions and we expect it to be a very tough competition."

Friday marks the eighth meeting between the two programs, OU holds a 5-2 series lead over Arkansas.

In the last meeting, the Sooners topped the Razorbacks in Fayetteville, Ark., 197.475-196.100, on March 19, 2010 to finish their regular season undefeated.

OU returns nine members from last season's record-breaking squad, including two-time All-American Megan Ferguson and the 2010 Big 12 Newcomer of the Year Natasha Kelley.

OU lost five seniors from the 2010 team and will look to its four newcomers to fill those voids. Freshmen Hope Bruce, Madison Mooring, Taylor Spears and Hayden Ward will all make their Sooner debuts on Friday against Arkansas.

"About 35 percent of our routines are going to be freshmen," Kindler said. "We have a lot of new talent out there and we definitely need to start getting some experience out on the floor."

Friday also marks the second-straight year that OU has opened the season at home. The Sooners are a combined 28-2 at home under head coach K.J. Kindler and have gone undefeated at home in the regular season in three of Kindler's four seasons at OU.

The Sooners are 35-28 all-time in season openers and are 4-2 under Kindler. OU opened last season with an upset over No. 4 Florida in Norman. Then-ranked No. 9 OU posted a team score of 196.250, topping Florida's 195.275.

ON THE WEB:
Friday's "Beauty and the Beast" event can be seen via a live web cast with commentary from OU gymnastics All-American, Kasie Tamayo, and former OU wrestler and three-time NCAA qualifier, Will Rowe, on Oklahoma All-Access, SoonerSports.com's premium site. Live stats for all meets can be found on SoonerSports.com.

TICKETS:
For tickets, call (405) 325-2424 or toll-free (800) 456-GoOU. Tickets can also be purchased at the main ticket office in Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium or at the Lloyd Noble Center on the day of the meet.

PROMOTIONS:
Friday's meet is OU's annual "Beauty and the Beast" night with OU wrestling. Fans will have the chance to win an iPad and hundreds of dollars in gift cards. Additionally, fans with an event ticket can take their picture with OU football's 2010 Fiesta Bowl Trophy.

WEEKEND ACTION AROUND THE BIG 12:
Friday, January 7:
No. 13 Missouri vs. West Virginia - 6 p.m. (CT) (Cancun Classic)
No. 10 Nebraska @ No. 3 Florida - 6 p.m. (CT)
No. 22 Iowa State vs. No. 15 Auburn - 7 p.m. (CT)

Wrestlers, Gymnasts Ready for Beauty and the Beast

No. 8 wrestling shares floor with No. 4 women's gymnastics Friday evening.

NORMAN, Okla. - The eighth-ranked Oklahoma wrestling squad (5-1, 0-1) returns to Norman Friday, Jan. 7 to host the Navy Midshipmen (1-0) in the fourth annual "Beauty and the Beast" event at the Lloyd Noble Center at 7 p.m.

The wrestlers will compete alongside the No. 4-ranked Oklahoma women's gymnastics team who will take on No. 11 Arkansas.

"Beauty and the Beast is a great event," head coach Jack Spates said. "To have two of the nation's premier programs in different sports competing side-by-side is a fans delight."

OU is coming off a strong outing at the Midlands Championships in which the Sooners finished sixth despite resting Zack Bailey and Nathan Fernandez. Sophomore Chase Nelson led the way for the Sooners after posting a 5-0 record and claiming the 157 pound title.

"Navy is going to be a great meet," Spates said. "These guys are disciplined, tough and battle hard. We want to encourage every patriot to come out and root them on to defeat. They have some outstanding wrestlers including 157 pounds. He is the second winningest Navy wrestler of all-time and 184 as well. There will be a lot of good competitive bouts and it will be a great meet."

The Sooners are 8-0 in the all-time series against Navy. The last time the two faced one another was in 2008 when the Sooners rolled to a 28-6 victory.

Seven Sooners are ranked in this week's InterMat individual ranking, led by fourth-ranked Tyler Caldwell at 165 pounds. Two Sooners, Zack Bailey (141 pounds) and Chase Nelson (157), sit at No. 6 among their respective weight classes. Jarrod Patterson is also ranked in the top 10 at No. 9 among 125 pounders.

Nathan Fernandez stands at 11 at 285 pounds, while Erich Schmidtke is 14th at 184 pounds. Jordan Keller (133) enters the rankings at No. 20 for the first time this year.

Navy counters with two ranked wrestlers. Leading the way for the Midshipmen is Bryce Saddoris, ranked No. 8 among 157 pounders. Luke Robertus is ranked 15th at 184 pounds.

Sooner Participants (Weight) Hometown (Year) Record
Jarrod Patterson (125) Cushing, Okla. (So.) 18-4
Jordan Keller (133) Wichita, Kan. (Jr.) 10-6
Zack Bailey (141) Kansas City, Mo. (Sr.) 14-2
Matt Lester (149) Eureka, Mo. (RFr.) 8-7
Nick Lester (149) St. Louis, Mo. (RFr.) 9-4
Chase Nelson (157) Wichita, Kan. (So.) 14-4
Tyler Caldwell (165) Wichita, Kan. (So.) 20-3
Jeff James (174) El Reno, Okla. (RSr.) 3-0
Ben Bridell (174) Birmingham, Ala. (RSo.) 4-4
Erich Schmidtke (184) Aberdeen, Wash. (RSo.) 17-6
Keldrick Hall (197) Dallas, Texas (RSo.) 10-7
Nathan Fernandez (HWT) Lawton, Okla. (Sr.) 13-2

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST PROMOTIONS
The OU marketing department has announced promotions for the "Beauty and the Beast" event Friday evening. The OU Athletics Department invites you to celebrate OU football's Fiesta Bowl Championship at the fourth annual Beauty and the Beast Night on Friday, Jan. 7 at the Lloyd Noble Center. Fans in attendance will have the opportunity to take their picture with the 2010 Fiesta Bowl Trophy during the meet.

Prizes raffled off to OU fans at the event include a $100 Circle K Gas Card, a $50 Buffalo Wild Wings Gift Card, a $20 Smoothie King Gift Card, two $50 Cane's Gift Cards and an Apple iPad.

TICKET INFORMATION
Tickets for the events are on sale and can be purchased online or by calling the OU Athletics Ticket Office at (405) 325-2424 or toll-free at (800) 456-GoOU. Prices are $8 for public general admission and $5 for student (k-12) general admission. Group tickets are also available for a discounted price.

SOONER NOTES
Spates to Retire at End of Season :eek: :eek:
Oklahoma Head Wrestling Coach Jack Spates, who is in his 18th season with the Sooners, announced Wednesday, Jan. 5 that he plans to retire from the position at the end of the current season.

"This is something that I had planned for quite a while," Spates said.

"I've been blessed by my tenure at OU. I've worked with the greatest kids, athletic director and president. I will leave with a smile on my face. It's a young man's game and a sport that requires tremendous passion and energy and I feel God is leading me in another direction at this time."

That direction may involve ministerial work. Spates received a master's degree in theology and education from Baptist Bible Seminary in 1980.

Caldwell, Nelson Drop Weight Classes
Sophomores Tyler Caldwell and Chase Nelson have dropped weight classes and will compete at 165 and 157 pounds, respectively. Caldwell, reigning All-American at 165 pounds, has been impressive collecting a 13-2 record after moving up to 174 pounds. Nelson, a JUCO All-American, boasts a 9-4 record in his first season as a Sooner.

Nelson Earns Midlands Championships Title
Chase Nelson win five-straight bouts to earn the 157 pound title at the Midlands Championships.

Fraggle145
1/7/2011, 05:57 PM
I went to this last year with the wifey and it is a pretty good time.

olevetonahill
1/7/2011, 07:14 PM
I went to this last year with the wifey and it is a pretty good time.

Thats right Ya did make an honest woman out of her dint ya :cool:

stoopified
1/8/2011, 01:20 PM
If it was men's gymnastics and topless women's wrasslin I'd be there.

Fraggle145
1/9/2011, 02:23 AM
Thats right Ya did make an honest woman out of her dint ya :cool:

Yep. :D figured after 6 years she had earned it :cool:

mgsooner
1/9/2011, 02:27 AM
If it was men's gymnastics and topless women's wrasslin I'd be there.

So JUST topless women's wrasslin wouldn't be enough, you'd still need men's gymnastics?