PDA

View Full Version : NCAA: Texas Tech broke recruiting rules

Okie35
1/7/2011, 04:02 PM
LUBBOCK, Texas – The NCAA is accusing Texas Tech of major rules violations tied to nearly 1,000 impermissible text messages sent to football, softball and golf prospects.

The NCAA released its findings Friday. It said the school discovered the violations and reported them to the NCAA.

Penalties could include two years probation, recruiting restrictions and scholarship reductions.

The NCAA says the football violations occurred between August 2007 and February 2009, which would have come under former coach Mike Leach. The NCAA says the football coaching staff sent approximately 234 text messages to 45 prospective student-athletes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110107/ap_on_sp_co_ne/fbc_ncaa_texas_tech

CowboyMRW
1/7/2011, 04:03 PM
Texas Tech invented recruiting violations

Okie35
1/7/2011, 04:03 PM
I don't think Leach will find another HC job.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/7/2011, 04:04 PM
not good for the conf.. but o well

Soonerwake
1/7/2011, 04:04 PM
So, TT reports violations under their former coach, who just happens to be suing them.. Interesting. :confused:

toast
1/7/2011, 04:07 PM
Get hammered for texting, but give money to the player's parents and you're good to go.

Okie35
1/7/2011, 04:13 PM
So, TT reports violations under their former coach, who just happens to be suing them.. Interesting. :confused:

I didn't even think about that. I already thought Leach would lose that lawsuit but ouch. He's going to get BURIED.

NOVSooner
1/7/2011, 04:13 PM
the NCAA should know that the coaches didn't know the rules completely..234 text messages < $200,000....

SoonerLB
1/7/2011, 04:14 PM
Does this mean somebody gets some shed time? ;)

Leroy Lizard
1/7/2011, 04:14 PM

:rolleyes:

badger
1/7/2011, 04:27 PM
Texas Tech invented recruiting violations

That's an OP joke :stunned:

texaspokieokie
1/7/2011, 04:29 PM
the NCAA should know that the coaches didn't know the rules completely..234 text messages < $200,000....

234; that's right in the calvin simpson range, isn't it ??

bmjlr
1/7/2011, 04:42 PM
Get hammered for texting, but give money to the player's parents and you're good to go.

^^^^^This

SoonerSnook
1/7/2011, 04:43 PM

As long as the player doesn't know about it.

Also you can sell your memorabilia and get discounts on tattoos as long as you plead ignorance.

OU_Sooners75
1/7/2011, 04:49 PM
Okay...I have searched and searched and searched for the rule that is broken here.

I do not see any rule stating how many times you can text message a recruit, or how many times they can text message you.

This NCAA bidness is getting a little absurd....

Your parents can take money from school boosters, or you can sell your stuff or trade your stuff for discounts and free stuff and get away with a slap on the wrist...but if you text message a kid, you will get the book thrown at you?

Am I seeing this correctly?

You can give special privledges to star players with out penalty...but you cannot text message a recruit or they cannot text message you after a certain number?

yeah...okay!

OUEngr1990
1/7/2011, 05:19 PM
I have the same feeling right now that I do when I see another motorist pulled over being arrested: better him than me...

LRoss
1/7/2011, 06:30 PM
This is truly shocking.

Schools recruit for golf???

IndySooner
1/7/2011, 06:45 PM

Yep. Passes the smell test! ;)

sooner_born_1960
1/7/2011, 06:48 PM
245? Pffft. My daughter sent that many while I was reading this thread.

Sooner_Tuf
1/7/2011, 07:08 PM
Okay...I have searched and searched and searched for the rule that is broken here.

I do not see any rule stating how many times you can text message a recruit, or how many times they can text message you.

This NCAA bidness is getting a little absurd....

Your parents can take money from school boosters, or you can sell your stuff or trade your stuff for discounts and free stuff and get away with a slap on the wrist...but if you text message a kid, you will get the book thrown at you?

Am I seeing this correctly?

You can give special privledges to star players with out penalty...but you cannot text message a recruit or they cannot text message you after a certain number?

yeah...okay!

You cannot contact recruits during the dead period. It's not that difficult and it applies to every NCAA Sport. I can't believe you didn't know this. Especially after we went through the same thing we Kelvin Sampson.

cccasooner2
1/7/2011, 07:20 PM
You cannot contact recruits during the dead period. It's not that difficult and it applies to every NCAA Sport. I can't believe you didn't know this. Especially after we went through the same thing we Kelvin Sampson.

And with the text records it is provable (or maybe the daughters were texting. :) ).

Soonerfan88
1/7/2011, 07:27 PM
Per article I read, the majority of the 234 football texts were sent by a single assistant coach. He said they were usually sent when cell service was not available (wouldn't that be almost everywhere in west Texas) and were to arrange later phone calls.

Although the NCAA didn't choose to censure the AD overall, it was an issue with 3 different sports so I don't see where anyone can lay this all on Leach.

Leroy Lizard
1/7/2011, 07:57 PM
Per article I read, the majority of the 234 football texts were sent by a single assistant coach. He said they were usually sent when cell service was not available (wouldn't that be almost everywhere in west Texas) and were to arrange later phone calls.

This changes nothing. He's not to contact recruits at all.

Although the NCAA didn't choose to censure the AD overall, it was an issue with 3 different sports so I don't see where anyone can lay this all on Leach.

Question: Is the love for Leach higher among Sooner or Tech fans? Tough to call.

Leroy Lizard
1/7/2011, 08:01 PM
Yep. Passes the smell test! ;)

If I'm a Tech administrator, the last person I want the NCAA interviewing is a former coach that is rankled at the university.

OU_Sooners75
1/10/2011, 01:57 PM

They said they had too many text messages to recruits...fine...they never said anything about the dead period.

My question is this (as asked in my post): Where is the rule stating how many text messages a coach can have between recruit and himself or coaching staff?

Leroy Lizard
1/10/2011, 03:47 PM
They said they had too many text messages to recruits...fine...they never said anything about the dead period.

They said that the text messages were impermissible. And note the following:

Many of the coaches tied to the infractions told the NCAA they knew sending the messages wasn't permitted and that university rules covered that area.

If the infractions had occurred after Leach left, the comments in here would change 180 degrees.

OU_Sooners75
1/10/2011, 03:55 PM
They said that the text messages were impermissible. And note the following:

If the infractions had occurred after Leach left, the comments in here would change 180 degrees.

exactly!

Keller Sooner
1/10/2011, 04:05 PM
Calvin still doesn't understand this rule. :D