PDA

View Full Version : 8-6,better or worse than you thought?

stoopified
1/7/2011, 02:49 PM
I projected us at 10-4 ,thinking we would beat Chaminade and pick up a road win at Ark.I have us going 7-9 in conference and 1-1 in the Big 12 Tourney for 16-16 which is -2 games off my preseason 18-14 mark.Apparently I am the only remaining Capel believer around here judging from the posts I've read.

Regardless of how this season ends,I fully expect and supprt Capel's return next season.

soonervegas
1/7/2011, 03:03 PM
The Chaminade game is the only one that seemed out of sorts. So 1 game under....

I do believe they will do better than I think in conference, but not enough to pull out a winning record.

I am not a believer in Capel's talent evaluation....which is the lifeblood of a program. I actually believe the dude is pretty good at X and O's.

mfreemba
1/7/2011, 03:06 PM
Thought they would beat Chaminade but otherwise they have done like I thought, so I expected them to be 9-5 at this point. Before the season I was expecting 5 conference wins but we are worse than I thought and ISU is better than I thought. Now only expecting 3 wins...4 tops. I also expect Capel to be back next year even if we go 0-16 (unless the 0-16 is due to again completely losing the team).

Mad Dog Madsen
1/7/2011, 03:18 PM
I still believe in Capel. Always have. It gets hard to around here though. :) If the team can finish above .500 I would be somewhat satisfied. The conference schedule will be pretty brutal for these guys but I'm hoping we can squeeze out at least 5 wins. ...6 conf wins seems impossible and that's sad. :(

bigfatjerk
1/7/2011, 03:21 PM
A lot worse. Especially because just like last year it looks like we have no style.

badger
1/7/2011, 03:24 PM
Regardless of how this season ends,I fully expect and supprt Capel's return next season.

I really am starting to suspect that Joe C. will not pull the trigger this season. We don't suck per se, we just have no talent. And what better way to accompany no talent than no coaching. :P

I will support the team without supporting Capel till I see signs of coaching. Otherwise, we're basically paying the dude seven figures to roll his eyes in an expensive suit, occasionally drawing a poorly timed technical foul. :mad:

Used to support Capel, but with every game being televised and them showing his inaction and indifference in most instances, I cannot any longer. Why, Stoopified, do you continue to support Capel?

Aldebaran
1/7/2011, 03:27 PM
Having seen this team play several times... I still don't feel like we're going to have a winning season. There has been some progress. Some setbacks.

Cade Davis is inconsistent and completely disappears for long stretches of the game.

Andrew Fitzgerald has been solid and consistent, but is foul prone, undersized for a center, not particularly athletic, and we have zero depth in the front court.

Stephen Pledger is good. We need more of him. If others can feed off of him, we might do better than I think.

Cameron Clark has come along, but he's been really quiet in our losses.

Carl Blair's assist/to ratio is terrible.

Nick Thompson showed early signs of life this season, but has gone into a shell.

Calvin Newell will score either 15 points or go without scoring for five games.

CJ Washington is athletic, and has provided a bit of a spark the last two games, but he's very small for the position he's playing and very green.

This team has question marks all over the place, they play solid defense, but just flat don't have offensive talent. We have a few role players, and I'm not hating on any of them, but right now we don't have anyone (pledger maybe maybe) who can take over a game and impose their will on it and provide an offensive spark on a consistent basis enough to even suggest that we can win conference games.

We are seriously going to get dominated underneath against most teams in conference play. We have some quality at guard, but we are razor thin underneath.

soonervegas
1/7/2011, 03:28 PM
I really am starting to suspect that Joe C. will not pull the trigger this season. We don't suck per se, we just have no talent.

Agreed. On a side note, I wonder how much San Diego State would beat us by? 40?

San
Diego
State......

TopDawg
1/7/2011, 03:38 PM
Our record is pretty close to what I expected at this point. However, we are a much worse team than I had expected.

fwsooner22
1/7/2011, 03:41 PM
I wonder if we can even win 3 or 4 in league. I hope it's not embarrassing.

Wow, I can't believe this is where we are......it's really disheartening.

Sooner_Bob
1/7/2011, 03:41 PM
Does 04 know you guys are discussing basketball?

Aldebaran
1/7/2011, 03:48 PM
Yup... Unfortunately it's hard times for the OU basketball fan.

Eielson
1/7/2011, 03:50 PM
Definitely worse.

badger
1/7/2011, 03:52 PM
Does 04 know you guys are discussing basketball?

04 is Big Brother, and Big Brother is watching you (discuss OU basketball)

Soonerwake
1/7/2011, 04:30 PM
About right. That Chaminade loss is a head-scratcher though.

I got a little excited early on, thinking there was some effort that had been lacking. I still see some effort, but there is just very little real D1 talent.

At this point, I would be surprised if we win 4 more games. OUCH!! :mad:

TopDawg
1/7/2011, 04:46 PM
We need to enjoy this winning record while it lasts. We might not see one again until next November.

Boomer.....
1/7/2011, 05:49 PM
I projected us at 10-4 ,thinking we would beat Chaminade and pick up a road win at Ark.I have us going 7-9 in conference and 1-1 in the Big 12 Tourney for 16-16 which is -2 games off my preseason 18-14 mark.Apparently I am the only remaining Capel believer around here judging from the posts I've read.

If we go 7-9 in conference I will be shocked.

We have definitely done worse than I thought we would but I enjoy watching this team. While they lack some in talent, they have good team chemistry and are very young.

Dwight
1/7/2011, 07:13 PM
I originally predicted 11 wins for the entire season.. I now say they will win 12.

Soonerite
1/7/2011, 08:53 PM
As a student season ticket holder, I am as disappointed in the current state of OU basketball as any one else, especially seeing it in person, but I would much rather watch a team that cares than one made up of players that only care about themselves and the next level. After sitting through that selfish debacle last year, this season doesn't seem as hard to swallow.

As for Capel, I'm not sure what the deal is but I guess until Joe C. makes a move, I have to support him. But to see that even Badger has lost faith is definitely a bad sign.

badger
1/7/2011, 09:31 PM
But to see that even Badger has lost faith is definitely a bad sign.

Yeah, I know I am usually the most merry sunshine here even in the most dire of conditions, but Capel has done nothing but disappoint me this year. Where I used to see fire and passion, I see nothing :(

And NP is very anti-Capel now, so he probably is rubbing off on me a little bit. His anti-Capelness is more because of the players he has recruited and how they turned out here, more than his courtside demeanor though.

birddog
1/7/2011, 09:45 PM
conference play will shock the bejesus out of these young fellers and i just don't see how we can win a road game. so, yeah, looking good.

TheBigRedMachine
1/8/2011, 10:38 AM
Watching this team in Hawaii, I was pleased with the effort against Kentucky and thought that we may shock a few people. But then we go out with a stinker against Chaminade.

Have a feeling we will only win three to four conference games this year. We need to show a lot of improvement quick, because with Colorado and Nebraska after this year we could go 0-for conference games next year unless we have significant improvement....or get Blake Griffin to come back.

TopDawg
1/8/2011, 03:01 PM
I have some hope for next year. Of all the sports, basketball is the one where one person can have the greatest impact. If we get one solid recruit in here and upgrade the talent at another position or two (which shouldn't be too hard), it could drastically change things. I'm not expecting a top 25 team, but I could see a 20-win season and a return to the tournament.

I'm almost certain Capel will be back. Joe C is pretty loyal to the people he hires.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/8/2011, 03:02 PM
I figured about 9-5 but this is the least talented team to suit up for OU in at least 30 years and we have a ways to go in the next couple years just to be the type of team that can go 10-6 in the league and make the NCAA tourney. We are light years away from being a team that can go deep in an NCAA tourney.

I'm thinking 4-12 in conference is about right. We might get a 5th win if someone decides to take a night off against us because I do think the players that we have play hard.

I Am Right
1/9/2011, 09:12 AM
worse

cherokeebrewer
1/9/2011, 12:22 PM
The team could coach itself and do this good. Anyone can finish last...it's easy.

Sooner95
1/10/2011, 07:11 AM
worse. I was hoping for 10-4..but I did not think the majority of our players were of DII quality.

4-12 in conf, 0-1 in Big12 tourney, with a final tally of 14-17.

Aldebaran
1/10/2011, 10:05 AM
If this team can win 4 non-conference games, they will have overachieved. That's twice as many as I thought they'd win after the first few games of the season. And I honestly don't know where those two are going to come from. Hopefully Colorado and Nebraska.

bigfatjerk
1/10/2011, 05:08 PM
worse. I was hoping for 10-4..but I did not think the majority of our players were of DII quality.

4-12 in conf, 0-1 in Big12 tourney, with a final tally of 14-17.
The thing is that our style is so bad that it makes our talent look worse. Look at our offense next week. We just have guys standing around passing the ball. Once in a while we try and feed the post and he'll shoot inside but most of the time we pass around till we shoot a 3. No guard penetration at all. Very few screens are set. We just hope shots go in and hope we have a freak enough inside to beat double teams to shoot in the post.

SoonerMarkVA
1/10/2011, 09:09 PM
Any way you slice it, I don't see 7 conference wins. I think 4 is the ceiling.

If Capel's recruiting for the early session doesn't generate some excitement, I think it's time for him to move on assuming 4 or fewer league wins.

bigfatjerk
1/10/2011, 10:22 PM
Looking at the schedule anything more than 4 would be amazing for this team. If we win 7 Capel deserves to be coach of the year because he'll have actually changed coaching styles to do something like that. I don't see us winning more than 2 games right now.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/10/2011, 11:11 PM
Any way you slice it, I don't see 7 conference wins. I think 4 is the ceiling.

If Capel's recruiting for the early session doesn't generate some excitement, I think it's time for him to move on assuming 4 or fewer league wins.

I'm thinking we can sweep TT and beat Colo and Neb at home. There have been years when 8-8 in league would have been a disaster. That would be close to a miracle this year.

Blue
1/11/2011, 01:34 AM
0-fer is a possibility. I mean we are getting blown out. We have no scorers. Ugh.

Salt City Sooner
1/11/2011, 02:03 AM
CU's got 2 guys who'll play in the league including one who I've seen rated as a borderline lottery pick. Us? Eh, not so much. If we win that one somebody's going to have to pick me up off the floor because Boyle's (remember, this is the same guy who took that juggernaut Northern Colorado team into the LNC & lost by all of 1 point last year) got them playing some good ball. They just handed Missouri their collective butts just last Saturday.

Sooner95
1/11/2011, 07:17 AM
Yes good point, CU plays like that against us, that'll be a loss..

OUmillenium
1/11/2011, 12:44 PM
A lil worse.

For conference play, we are seriously looking at 0, 1, or 2 wins. Above that (right now) would be highly optimistic.

This team is teh sucfest talent wise. I love em and pull for em but we do not have the horses. This should be our 2nd teamers but they are our starting 5.

PhiDeltBeers
1/11/2011, 12:51 PM
I am thinking an 0fer in con play. Sorry. Is Eddie Sutton available? ;)

Soonerfan88
1/11/2011, 05:07 PM
I am thinking an 0fer in con play. Sorry. Is Eddie Sutton available? ;)

For PhiDeltBEERS? Absolutely.

Chaminade was the only unexpected loss for me. As for conference play, I think they might pull out 4.