PDA

View Full Version : Texass failbot fans...

OUmillenium
1/7/2011, 11:28 AM
I was reading through some of Kirk Bohls articles at statesman.com, including the comments, and some of their loser fans still call us UT-Norman stating that all of our success is due to Texass recruits.

Reminder...

Our "Big 3" on offense this year...
LJ - from Artesia, NM
DM - from Vegas
Broyles - homegrown in Norman

Big time receiver/TE contributions from...
Stills - Cali
Cam Kenney - Georgia
Ratteree - Weatherford, OK

Bigtimers on O for next year...
DeJuan Miller - NJ
Finch - Florida
Millard - MO

And just in case you have forgotten, lets review our Heisman winners...
Billy Vessels - Cleveland, OK
Steve Owens - Miami, OK
Billy Sims - Hooks, TX...Ok so a Texan can be successful here, right?
Jason White - Tuttle, OK
Sam Bradford - PC, OK

Winy, Texass failbots. Your best coach was a former Sooner and your 2nd best/current coach was a former Sooner ast coach, but we don't try to take credit for the few successes that orange-dog-doo colored school to the south stumbles upon.

Suck it trebec

RacerX
1/7/2011, 11:29 AM
Sam Bradford - PCN, OK

OUmillenium
1/7/2011, 11:33 AM
I was going with city, not school, but I catch your drift!

sooner_born_1960
1/7/2011, 11:41 AM
Is Putnam City really a city?

KantoSooner
1/7/2011, 11:51 AM

Compared to Ponca City? Yes
Compared to New York City? No
It's relative.

SoonerMom2
1/7/2011, 12:00 PM
Found out Putnam City wasn't a city when I was trying to find the Putnam stadium for a high school football game. Stopped at a gas station and the man said there is NO Putnam City -- just the name of a consolidated school district -- no wonder I couldn't find it on the map!

One way to get to know an area is to have a child in high school and middle school when you move to Norman who was involved in baseball and band and loves football -- you learn the area.

SoonerPride
1/7/2011, 12:00 PM

No, it's just a school district.

There is no Putnam City city.

I went to PC North.

SoonerPride
1/7/2011, 12:03 PM
It's relative.

um, wrong.

OUmillenium
1/7/2011, 12:08 PM
I was hoping everybody would chime in to rag on Texass...

RacerX
1/7/2011, 12:10 PM
We're not playing them this week. It's not worth it.

ouwino
1/7/2011, 12:10 PM
plus they named their stadium after an OU All-American quarterback.

Aldebaran
1/7/2011, 12:12 PM
Pace yourselves people. It's a long offseason.

ouwino
1/7/2011, 12:12 PM
the best thing to ever come out of Tejas.....

I-35

BoomerJack
1/7/2011, 12:13 PM

What's that guy's name again???

Jboozer
1/7/2011, 12:13 PM

That was already mentioned. See part about their greatest ever coach above

rekamrettuB
1/7/2011, 12:17 PM
What about Midwest City? City? Area? School system?

SoonerPride
1/7/2011, 12:18 PM
What about Midwest City? City? Area? School system?

Midwest City is a city.

KantoSooner
1/7/2011, 12:23 PM
um, wrong.

Um, lighten up.

tcrb
1/7/2011, 12:26 PM

Heh, I always have at least one "texass sux" in me. ;)

SoonerPride
1/7/2011, 12:28 PM
Um, lighten up.

I wasn't upset, just being factual.

OUthunder
1/7/2011, 12:29 PM
Texass is kind of like NU this year...Irrelevant.

Keller Sooner
1/7/2011, 12:49 PM
Texas sux! I couldn't care less what the idiots think.

MeMyself&Me
1/7/2011, 01:10 PM
I think the ones that make comments about OU only doing well with Texas kids are the ones that really don't know anything about college football. I don't really care about those people. They're typically the ones that routed for Texas last year and Texas aTm this year.

There are exceptions though.

AlboSooner
1/7/2011, 01:11 PM
I thinking of a former Okie Sooner who won 3 National Championships for Texas.

NMSooner'80
1/7/2011, 01:12 PM
Don't forget - Billy Sims was originally from the St. Louis area. If they also want to get nit-picky, his high school in Hooks is fairly close to McCurtain County, Okla.

OUEngr1990
1/7/2011, 01:44 PM
It's relative.

I GREW UP IN PONCA CITY, AND I TELL YOU WHAT BUDDY.....i agree with your assessment :D

OUEngr1990
1/7/2011, 01:46 PM
Without former Sooners running things, the whorns would have ZERO national titles...

Soonerwake
1/7/2011, 01:54 PM

Because I was curious about where the name came from:

"The school district was the result of a consolidation of Central School, Ozmun School, Goff School, and County Line School. Classes were offered for grades 1 through 8 initially and were held in the I.M Putnam building at 40th and Grove, the current site of James L. Capps Middle School.

Warr Acres, where the district is located, incorporated several suburban developments including one called Putnam City. Putnam City was named for its developer, Israel M. Putnam, a state lawmaker and real estate developer."

SoonerSnook
1/7/2011, 01:57 PM
The biggest problem with their arguement about us not being anything without kids from Texas is most of the TX kids we get UT is never interested in them. To me that shows a lack of evaluating talent on their part.

sooner_born_1960
1/7/2011, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I knew Putnam City wasn't anything but a school district.

KantoSooner
1/7/2011, 02:11 PM
I GREW UP IN PONCA CITY, AND I TELL YOU WHAT BUDDY.....i agree with your assessment :D

Ponca does have one of the most interesting refineries in the world. Seriously. It's like a history of the erl bidness all in one place.

OUEngr1990
1/7/2011, 02:42 PM
Ponca does have one of the most interesting refineries in the world. Seriously. It's like a history of the erl bidness all in one place.
Yeah, but that refinery smells BAD. :D seriously, I am glad I am FROM there and not STILL there...:D

BigJerm7
1/7/2011, 07:20 PM
Isn't the idea to get the best high school players you can? Regardless where they come from? Didn't know there was a rule that you could only get players from your state. Do they expect all Texas kids to stay at Texas? They better tell Demarco Cobbs to come back then.

Maybe they wouldn't have sucked this year if they would've ventured outside of Texas to find players.

stoopified
1/7/2011, 07:28 PM
Every time I have some Texan tell me we only win because of OUr Texans ,I point only half OUr team are Texans and all their players are Texans.Since we are beating them then either 1) OUr Texans are twice as good as theirs OR 2) the difference lies in OUr native Oklahoma recruits and the smattering of OTHER state recruits.

SoonerOX
1/7/2011, 07:51 PM
Heh, I always have at least one "texass sux" in me. ;)

Yeah they do, big time.

silverwheels
1/7/2011, 08:01 PM
60% of the players on our 2000 roster were from Oklahoma and quite a good number were not very highly recruited. We can win with anyone from anywhere. Texas? Not so much.

MyT Oklahoma
1/7/2011, 09:53 PM
I really don't care what * thinks about anything. They exist for the sole purpose of being slapped around once a year at their * State Fair.

Of course watching their season flame out this year was just a bonus.

rekamrettuB
1/7/2011, 10:01 PM
Well at least OU is winning with Texas players. They went 5-7 with Texas players.

bluedogok
1/7/2011, 10:01 PM
Because I was curious about where the name came from:

"The school district was the result of a consolidation of Central School, Ozmun School, Goff School, and County Line School. Classes were offered for grades 1 through 8 initially and were held in the I.M Putnam building at 40th and Grove, the current site of James L. Capps Middle School.

Warr Acres, where the district is located, incorporated several suburban developments including one called Putnam City. Putnam City was named for its developer, Israel M. Putnam, a state lawmaker and real estate developer."
Putnam tried to get Warr to change the name of Warr Acres to Putnam City, but he declined.

Isn't the idea to get the best high school players you can? Regardless where they come from? Didn't know there was a rule that you could only get players from your state. Do they expect all Texas kids to stay at Texas? They better tell Demarco Cobbs to come back then.

Maybe they wouldn't have sucked this year if they would've ventured outside of Texas to find players.
It's not like they can sign them all although they would like to think they can. I also told some now you wouldn't really want all those great places that UT missed out on to end up at A&M, Tech, Baylor, Rice, SMU, TCU, Houston, etc. if that was the case you might not be able to beat the in-state chumps that you beat up on now....until this season.

Jacie
1/7/2011, 11:22 PM
Yeah, but that refinery smells BAD. :D seriously, I am glad I am FROM there and not STILL there...:D

In the really old days, the drive to Dallas involved going south on Highway 77 (because the interstate highway system that begat I-35 did not exist). Hwy 77 ran through Wynnewood and you had to make a turn (I forget if it was to the left or to the right) at Wacker Park. You always knew you approaching Wynnewood when coming from the north because you had to pass by the refinery first and you'd smell it before you saw it.

bikerdood
1/7/2011, 11:48 PM
In the really old days, the drive to Dallas involved going south on Highway 77 (because the interstate highway system that begat I-35 did not exist). Hwy 77 ran through Wynnewood and you had to make a turn (I forget if it was to the left or to the right) at Wacker Park. You always knew you approaching Wynnewood when coming from the north because you had to pass by the refinery first and you'd smell it before you saw it....

...Wacker Park???... Wynnewood???... How about Wacker Park and Pauls Valley???... Oh, make a right at the park... YWIA...

OUEngr1990
1/7/2011, 11:55 PM
This should say something. Overall OU players outnumber TX players almost 2:1

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/players/bystate.cfm

Judge Smails
1/8/2011, 12:27 AM

But there is a city in Oklahoma named Putnam. Go figure....

Sooner_Tuf
1/8/2011, 02:50 AM
But there is a city in Oklahoma named Putnam. Go figure....

There is a place in Oklahoma called Putnam. pop 43, SALUTE!

Soonerman82
1/8/2011, 03:34 AM
I thinking of a former Okie Sooner who won 3 National Championships for Texas.

Don't forget other one that won an MNC was Barry Switzers assistant here at OU as well.

GDC
1/8/2011, 04:06 AM

I am happy to rag on :texan: anytime, for any reason...

AlbqSooner
1/8/2011, 08:38 AM
"OU has given more tejas high shool football palyers the opportunity to wear a Championship ring than all the tejas colleges combined."

Barry Switzer.

bluedogok
1/8/2011, 09:29 AM
Don't forget other one that won an MNC was Barry Switzers assistant here at OU as well.
Mack missed it by a year, he was the OC in 1984 and moved to the HC job at Tulane for 1985. Jim Donnan was the Sooner OC from 1985-89.

texaspokieokie
1/8/2011, 09:45 AM

Okmulgee had a refinery. i remember the day the "cat cracker" began operation. (about 60 yrs ago) Couldn't believe how bad was the smell !!!

refinery (originally Phillips 66) has been gone for a long time.
Okmulgee would love to have (& the jobs) it (along with smell) back !!!!

texaspokieokie
1/8/2011, 09:49 AM
Mack missed it by a year, he was the OC in 1984 and moved to the HC job at Tulane for 1985. Jim Donnan was the Sooner OC from 1985-89.

think he meant, won mnc @ tx.

bluedogok
1/8/2011, 09:56 AM
think he meant, won mnc @ tx.
Ohh...I was thinking as an assistant to Switzer....
I try to forget they won it in 2005 :D

Salt City Sooner
1/8/2011, 12:17 PM
'84 was the lowest scoring year of the entire Switzer era as well. OU was held under 20 points 6 times that year.

AlbqSooner
1/8/2011, 04:34 PM
'84 was the lowest scoring year of the entire Switzer era as well. OU was held under 20 points 6 times that year.

Hence the 'Bury Barry' bumper stickers.

Salt City Sooner
1/8/2011, 07:55 PM
That was in the '81-83 stretch. OU won the Big 8 in '84. I've always said that pre-VY, Mack should've sent Gary Gibbs a dozen roses at least once a month for the only championship ring he had to that point because the defense was a heck of a lot more responsible for that title than the O was.

sooneron
1/10/2011, 02:13 PM
Someone should tell * that half of their Heisman winners aren't even from Texass.

4/5 of ours are from Oklahoma. **** yeah!

We recruit America, * only recruits texass.

oudivesherpa
1/10/2011, 02:20 PM
The biggest problem with their arguement about us not being anything without kids from Texas is most of the TX kids we get UT is never interested in them. To me that shows a lack of evaluating talent on their part.

Um, I kida thouight they wanted Billy Sims, AD & Tommy Harris.

OU_Sooners75
1/10/2011, 02:51 PM
It's relative.

Actually the Putnam addition in OKC is actually smaller than Ponca City.

But overall, I agree.

NMSooner'80
1/16/2011, 01:47 PM
Speaking of the Bevoid fan base, has anyone heard their reaction to the SMU story that re-ran today on ESPNU? A few folks from that era at SMU said that UT was "doing the exact same thing."

I've always believed that one of the reasons UT was slow to get busted was because the big-city Texas papers were too busy being Longhorn cheerleaders to look seriously at their recruiting. And of course, the Dallas newspapers (when there were still two) also loved to target OU back then.