PDA

View Full Version : 1st Sooner team in a long time with no question marks?

adoniijahsooner
1/7/2011, 10:39 AM
Solid in every area I believe.

anglachel
1/7/2011, 10:47 AM
DT is a concern for me.

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2011, 10:48 AM
Josh is unproven as the OC/playcaller, but I ain't skeered.

MyT Oklahoma
1/7/2011, 10:51 AM
Special team play is still less than desirable.

OUmillenium
1/7/2011, 10:53 AM
Run blocking?

KantoSooner
1/7/2011, 10:53 AM
DT is a concern for me.

Yup. I'm optimistic, but as yet, unsure.

Soonerntxs
1/7/2011, 11:05 AM
I know that the Spring Game is designed more for peek-a-boo rather than show & tell; but I must say that the 2010 Spring Game showed me a good example of what OUr team can do on both sides of the ball. I know that there are many calling for a ST coach, but I am not all that concerned. My reason is simple...some times we miss one! After watching just about every team & football game this 2010 bowl season, I guess it could be said that every team needs a new ST coach..because just about every team let one get away on them.
I sure look forward to the 2011 Spring Game and know that Bob has seen what each of us has and will work on the ST's.
The kicking game was IMO :hot: than it has been but needs to get better since we will be in the TITLE GAME 2011 !!!!:D

stoops the eternal pimp
1/7/2011, 11:13 AM
1? We've given up 11 TDS on KR and haven't scored 1 in 3 years.

toast
1/7/2011, 11:17 AM
If ko coverage is the most pressing concern (and I am as frustrated as anyone with it), then the Sooners should be in great shape for 2011.

gaylordfan1
1/7/2011, 11:18 AM
ST's
Run blocking
Running game- Will need a solid strong back to compliment Finch
Safetys
DT's

I think the run blocking will improve now that we have a core of returning starters.

oudavid1
1/7/2011, 11:27 AM
DT is a concern for me.

The entire defensive line, right tackle, running back (i knows about Finchy Finch, but we need depth).

ST's
Run blocking
Safetys
DT's

I think the run blocking will improve now that we have a core of returning starters.

Oh and this is relevant.

NormanPride
1/7/2011, 11:32 AM
We need Miller to be a good workhorse, IMO.

We also need Noble to get healthy and stay that way.

And we need our young OL to learn how to run block very quickly.

If all that happens, then I think we're going to be scary good.

OUmillenium
1/7/2011, 11:34 AM
1? We've given up 11 TDS on KR and haven't scored 1 in 3 years.

THIS!!!!!!!!^

rekamrettuB
1/7/2011, 11:38 AM
ST's
Run blocking
Safetys
DT's

Running backs will be very solid with good run blocking. The run blocking has to improve a great deal. Old OLine coach used to say a $5 running back can run through a $10 hole but a $10 running back can't run through a $5 hole.

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2011, 11:42 AM
I think the issue with running is as much scheme as it is blocking technique. Even going back to '08 when we had more offense than anyone and 2 1000 yard backs, we couldn't line up and power run. I'm hoping Josh has some ideas on scheme that will help the blockers. I don't think we need to be world beaters in the running, just more effective to support the pass. Seeing the average yds/carry get up to 4.5+ would be nice.

Back to the thread title - every team has question marks every year, but we have fewer ones going into '11 than we have in a long time.

oudavid1
1/7/2011, 11:47 AM
Running backs will be very young and mostly unproven with good run blocking. The run blocking has to improve a great deal. Old OLine coach used to say a $5 running back can run through a $10 hole but a $10 running back can't run through a $5 hole.

FIFY :D

stoops the eternal pimp
1/7/2011, 11:48 AM
I think the issue with running is as much scheme as it is blocking technique. Even going back to '08 when we had more offense than anyone and 2 1000 yard backs, we couldn't line up and power run. I'm hoping Josh has some ideas on scheme that will help the blockers. I don't think we need to be world beaters in the running, just more effective to support the pass. Seeing the average yds/carry get up to 4.5+ would be nice.

All of dis rite hur

BigTime1
1/7/2011, 11:52 AM
I think we re good to go!

rekamrettuB
1/7/2011, 11:54 AM
FIFY :D

True. But if there's one position on the field that can step in and let natural ability take over it's RB. There's not a lot to think about outside of pass blocking.

TMcGee86
1/7/2011, 12:03 PM
yeah I'm not as concerned with RB next season even though that's definitely the biggest loss of talent with Murray and Madu gone.

I just think Josh can scheme around any shortcomings, and I think he will fall back to more of a true spread and with Finch as RB we will put points on the board.

My biggest concern is the safety position. Of the big three (Murray, Beal, Carter) that's the least talent we have to replace, but with both guys being new next year, and at such a key position, that scares me the most.

We might be much better, but it's still a scary proposition going in with brand new guys back there. Thoughts of 06 still linger.

rekamrettuB
1/7/2011, 12:15 PM
My biggest concern is the safety position. Of the big three (Murray, Beal, Carter) that's the least talent we have to replace, but with both guys being new next year, and at such a key position, that scares me the most.

I don't know if I would say the guys will be new. Harris played a lot. Jefferson obviously played a lot albeit not at the safety position much but still. Sam Proctor started as a soph if I'm not mistaken. Ibiloye played a bunch too. So OU has a lot of guys w/ experience. I also loved what I saw from the new DB coach and how much progress was made through the season. Now he has an offseason and another year of experience.

soonerchk
1/7/2011, 02:46 PM
We need to avoid the injury bug. That's the biggest and most uncontrollable IF of them all.

bigfatjerk
1/7/2011, 03:29 PM
Next year? Kick return coverage is still poor. Offensive line isn't that physical. Our run defense played better at the end of the season. But on a full season for Oklahoma it was pretty poor. Hopefully we are more like the run D the last 4 games or so. Pass D was pretty solid all year round.

We don't have a very good deep kicker. I think Jimmy Stevens has gotten a lot better and is a solid kicker but if we get it to the 30-35 we have to either punt or go for it. I would like to see us get someone with a big leg that can at least kick long FGs and handle kickoffs. I don't think Patty O'Hara is the answer here.

Our run game on offense is a bit of a question mark without DeMarco. I think Finch is good but can he really handle the big load alone? Someone else will probably have to step up and get some snaps and be our more physical running back.

Also on defense we'll miss Beal a lot more than some realize right now. He was an All-American for a reason. The rest of our defense should be good. DT is still a concern.

Aldebaran
1/7/2011, 03:36 PM
There are question marks. There will be adversity.

But, can't you almost taste #8? It's tantalizing.

soonerchk
1/7/2011, 03:40 PM
There are question marks. There will be adversity.

But, can't you almost taste #8? It's tantalizing.

And tingly.

SoonerOX
1/7/2011, 04:15 PM
Running back is of no concern to me. It appears we'll be running a rotation in the backfield. We have a wealth of backs. Run blocking will hopefully be much improved. Special teams is the ? For me. Specifically kick-off coverage. The td returns and return yard average is a concern. Also, we haven't had a kick returner give us good field position consistently. Just my opinion.

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2011, 04:56 PM
Emotion when I started reading this thread: Excited!!
Emotion now that I've gotten this far: DOOMED!!

Maybe '12 holds some hope for us.

Dwight
1/7/2011, 05:32 PM
DT and kicker are my only concerns

Fraggle145
1/7/2011, 05:48 PM
If ko coverage is the most pressing concern (and I am as frustrated as anyone with it), then the Sooners should be in great shape for 2011.

Thats what we said in '08 too...

CBUS_SOONER
1/7/2011, 05:50 PM
My concerns...
1. specials
2. specials
3.specials
4. D line
5. secondary

All in all i think we are sitting pretty

soonerboy_odanorth
1/7/2011, 06:05 PM
I'm not getting why anyone is concerned about either DT or S. Starting points respectively are:

DT: Walker, McGee, McFarland, Noble
S: Proctor, J. Harris, Jefferson

As pointed out, health is our only enemy here. These guys are all very good, and will have another off-season to get even better. And the redshirted depth behind them is very good, and both positions are being addressed again with even this limited recruiting class, especially at DT. (And if we are talking the entire D-Line are you really worried about David King and Frank Alexander?)

RB is our biggest area of concern only in whether Finch can be a most every down back. But Clay has had some bursts, and Jonathan Miller too, when healthy. Will Jermie figure it out? Is Brandon Williams the back of the future? What I'm saying here is that if this is our biggest area of concern, things are awfully good.

I'm not a fan of the sunshine pumping. I like to take what I think is a realistic approach. So I guess I'm not a big fan of the pessimistic approach either.

We look solid across the board at all positions for next year. (Yes, kicker too.) So stop worrying so much. It's bad for your health.

ouwasp
1/7/2011, 06:15 PM
A dominating D Line can help overcome poor ST... here's to hoping the DL steps up next yr...

Since71ASooner4Life
1/7/2011, 06:30 PM
I like Finch, and Millard looks pretty solid, but at this point we can't say we have a whole lot of proven / experienced talent returning. I do have high hopes, but only time will tell

PLaw
1/7/2011, 07:00 PM
Need to buck up at DT and safety, as well as get more consistent on special teams.

Look for the O to look a lot like when Q carried the rock.

Boomer

stoopified
1/7/2011, 07:40 PM
ST's
Run blocking
Safetys
DT's

I think the run blocking will improve now that we have a core of returning starters.Yup

swardboy
1/7/2011, 08:31 PM
I think if we knock every kickoff out of bounds and take the penalty we'll be just fine.

Sooner91ATL
1/7/2011, 09:51 PM
OL play has been marginal. We ranked in lower tier this year in run offense. That is not championship play. We will need to bring that production up, especially because we will probably need more opportunistic running with Heupel calling plays and emphasis on passing game.

Replacing Beal
Special Teams Play

Mazeppa
1/7/2011, 10:44 PM
K O and F G guys

Jmorales22
1/8/2011, 01:35 AM
Run game is THE concern going into next season. We have a ton of talented backs, but we need new blood or a different attitude in the blocking or we won't win a NC. We need a Duke Robinson type guy who can blow a guy off the ball when we need him to.

The lack of run game kills the red zone offense, which combined with the lack of a kicker who's consistent past 35 yards will equal defeat at some point when it matters and that will be that.

CBUS_SOONER
1/8/2011, 09:18 AM
My biggest fear is our schedule next year. FSU, lOSUrs, and Baylor all have a lot back and those games are on the road.

SoonerStormchaser
1/8/2011, 10:08 AM
I think we're ****ing doomed next year...3-9 for sure. We'll beat OSU, Texass and Baylor...and lose the rest. And then Stoops will be fired...making room for a REAL head coach. Dean will renounce his Sooner fandom as we hire Les Miles to be our new coach.