PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think will have a great year next year?

Sooner74
1/7/2011, 04:35 AM
Ok, so I was thinking that we all know that we are primed for a National Title Run. I think we have a great shot as it stands, but if you could pick 2 to 3 Sooners that will stand out and perform greater than this year or step up from high school and perform, who would they be?

Honestly, I can see Finch having a great year. He will not fit any of the same mold as Demarco, but I think he will be a great addition in the diamond and with some swing passes out of the backfield. I think Clay will get a decent amount of carries as well. This leaves me confused as to where calhoun and miller stand.

I can see Dejuan Miller stepping up big time. In some packages I can see Miller, Broyles, Stills, and possibly Metroyer. I think he will get the redshirt though. It depend on the need of a good receiver, but I think Miller steps up in a big way.

My third pick would be Mcfarland. The reason I choose him is because if he doesn't step up our National Title hopes aren't as great. We need the d-line to be ugly in the trenches. He fits that roll for me.

What say you?

sooner59
1/7/2011, 04:44 AM
I think Dejuan Miller will get much of the Cam Kenney passes. Not the same throws but replacing his catches. Finch should have a big year. Millard will see more short yardage plays because without Murray and as small as Finch is, we need big bodies. Miller will see some carries, but I fear that Calhoun is all but gone. He may see some mop up time, but there is too much talent for him to break through. Mcfarland must step up for us to have a solid d-line. I bet Stills becomes even bigger and Jaz even sees some brief time. We have the making of a special team in 2011. I haven't been this optimistic since 2008, but that team had defensive and special teams problems. I am hoping OUr special teams corrects their problems and with all of OUr defensive guys returning....well, this could be a team for the record books. If not, unfortunately it will be a disappointment. But I have a great feeling about this team.

Sooner74
1/7/2011, 05:32 AM
Honestly I'm a huge cynic. I think our defense needs to improve substantially to be a legit contender. I forget, but one of our defensive statistics was in the 70's. That isn't good. We expect better.

dwarthog
1/7/2011, 08:31 AM
Honestly I'm a huge cynic. I think our defense needs to improve substantially to be a legit contender. I forget, but one of our defensive statistics was in the 70's. That isn't good. We expect better.

It would definitely be nice to see someone emerge as a big time disruption on the d-line.

However the D they came up with at the end of the year seems to have some potential and with a year under Wort's belt and Nelson getting some PT this year at LB as a true freshman, along with the two senior's coming back at the LB position, we should be real salty there which will be a big boost IMO.

OUChampsBig12
1/7/2011, 08:43 AM
Landry Jones, he will be sitting in New York at the Heisman Ceramonies! Book it Dano!

NOVSooner
1/7/2011, 08:49 AM

I believe we have to improve also on the line but you have R. Lewis on one end, Frank Alexander I believe on the other which both equals a great pass rush. we do need mcfar to step it up and play to his potential along with noble (hopefully) and I thought i heard some good news about Peterson being a great player in the making so he may can step up and fill some voids, too. it's basically the same d-line though minus beal. Taylor was never all that healthy this season so we do have reason to be optimistic there. i have reason to believe though that since we play less non-conference games and more teams like we're accustomed to, our "rankings" will be MUCH lower.

Breadburner
1/7/2011, 09:02 AM
You willl see James Hanna emerging as Gresham like.....

SoonerInFortSmith
1/7/2011, 09:11 AM

I was gonna say Hanna also. Maybe not Gresham-like, but definitely a big step up. I also think the Hammer will spend a lot of time hammering opposing quarterbacks.

cleller
1/7/2011, 09:55 AM

This is my #1 hope. We could sure use a good TE, that can get out and catch a ball.
Seems its hard to find a great blocker who is also a good receiver.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/7/2011, 10:14 AM
I think the Sooners will have a great season/year! All of them.

gaylordfan1
1/7/2011, 10:34 AM
For Finch to be effective I think we need a Murray type back to compliment him. I actually think this man will be Clay. I look to see him add some pounds and to be our strong back. I say this because after watching him this year he just seems to fit this mold. He's fast, but never really broke away this year. He was more of a possession back that got the yards asked of him. We will have to see how the spring and summer workouts unfold. I think J. Miller stands a very good chance to break the lineup and make a substantial contribution to the running game. I am just unsure how his rehab went and if he will still be the speedy back we saw in 2008. I think our WR lineup will be Broyles, Stills and Miller with plenty of Franks. Stills and Franks were good as true freshmen and will only improve. I like to look back at the strides Broyles made from his first year to his second year. On offense the only unknowns are the running game and our run blocking. We all know Finch is great, but he did have Murray to take command.

Defensively, we should be solid. If the DT continues to be less solid than we expect look for Coach V to implement the 50 to add speed and strength to our weaknesses. I think T. Lewis' return was huge for this young defense. So I look for him to be the one with a big year. Also, our two corners will be one of the strongest tandems in the country. I like what Martinez has done with or defensive backs. Im curious who will lock down the safety positions and if we have a drop off. Remember, coming into this season everyone was suspect of our CB's, and they got better every game.

MyT Oklahoma
1/7/2011, 10:36 AM
Yes.

SpankyNek
1/7/2011, 10:39 AM
I think Trey Franks, Geneo Grissom, Jonathan Miller, and RJ Washington will all be playing much larger parts next year.

SpankyNek
1/7/2011, 10:39 AM
Also Aaron Colvin.

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2011, 10:47 AM
To get to the title, LJ has to have a huge year. Doesn't need more yardage, but more TDs/attempt and less INTs/attempt. Part of our redzone issues were because LJ got super conservative in close and often threw the ball away when he still had time. He'll need to trust him arm and receivers in tighter coverage w/o being reckless. That pass to Ryan in the Fiesta was a good start ;)

Josh will have to have a great first year as OC and figure out a way to run more effectively. Not saying we need to be a run-first team, but the yds/carry has to improve.

jmillerfan
1/7/2011, 07:04 PM
For Finch to be effective I think we need a Murray type back to compliment him. I actually think this man will be Clay. I look to see him add some pounds and to be our strong back. I say this because after watching him this year he just seems to fit this mold. He's fast, but never really broke away this year. He was more of a possession back that got the yards asked of him. We will have to see how the spring and summer workouts unfold. I think J. Miller stands a very good chance to break the lineup and make a substantial contribution to the running game. I am just unsure how his rehab went and if he will still be the speedy back we saw in 2008. I think our WR lineup will be Broyles, Stills and Miller with plenty of Franks. Stills and Franks were good as true freshmen and will only improve. I like to look back at the strides Broyles made from his first year to his second year. On offense the only unknowns are the running game and our run blocking. We all know Finch is great, but he did have Murray to take command.

Defensively, we should be solid. If the DT continues to be less solid than we expect look for Coach V to implement the 50 to add speed and strength to our weaknesses. I think T. Lewis' return was huge for this young defense. So I look for him to be the one with a big year. Also, our two corners will be one of the strongest tandems in the country. I like what Martinez has done with or defensive backs. Im curious who will lock down the safety positions and if we have a drop off. Remember, coming into this season everyone was suspect of our CB's, and they got better every game.

Rehab has went really well and Jonathon has been ready to go since August 2010.

bixby28
1/7/2011, 07:12 PM
Roy Finch and Geneo Grissom should have a big year in 2011.

tcrb
1/7/2011, 08:23 PM
I know you're talkin' players here, but I hope Coach Heupel has a good year....we need for him to.

CowboyMRW
1/7/2011, 08:48 PM
Trey Metoyer

Sooner74
1/7/2011, 10:20 PM
Do you really think Trey breaks the lineup? I know he is looking good, but we are stacked and I don't see us not RS him.

CowboyMRW
1/7/2011, 10:28 PM
Who else will catch it. Broyles, Kenny and then who

Sooner74
1/7/2011, 11:11 PM
Who else will catch it. Broyles, Kenny and then who

Franks, Stills, Broyles, Jaz, Miller, Powell, Mccay, and throw Hannah in. I think we are plenty fine at WR without Metroyer.

CatfishSooner
1/7/2011, 11:37 PM
Dejuan Miller will have a huge year!!!!

Okie35
1/7/2011, 11:39 PM
Dejuan Miller will have a huge year!!!!

I'm thinking he will too. The whole receiving core will be really good.

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2011, 11:49 PM
I'm planning for a great year myself.

SoonerOX
1/7/2011, 11:58 PM
I like Dejuan Miller. He was really coming on before his injury. I think getting him back will really help the red zone issues. Who wouldn't want a 6'5" reciever as an option to throw a fade to? I am also really intrigued by the possibilities at running back. Having so many great backs to choose from is a problem I like. Finch already showed us his potential. Grasshopper looked great before his injury, Brennan Clay has some game, and JC was a five star guy coming in. My question is, who gets left out after spring ball? Again, the running back battle will be very interesting to watch develop.On defense, I think R.J. Washington will finally realize his potential and J Mac will earn his fifth star back. Also look for Aaron Colvin to break into the rotation at corner, as well as Javon Harris at safety. T. Jefferson will be a bigger headhunter too. DT is still a question, but I hear Peterson is bringing some game. Boomer!