PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Luck returning to Stanford to get degree

Okie35
1/6/2011, 02:40 PM
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/4876/captureib.jpg

http://www.csnbayarea.com/01/06/11/Luck-returning-to-Stanford-for-2011-seas/landing.html?blockID=386232&feedID=2539

STANFORD, Calif. -- Stanford University announced today Andrew Luck, a redshirt sophomore quarterback from Houston, Texas, will not declare for early entry to the 2011 NFL draft as required for underclassmen.

"I am committed to earning my degree in architectural design from Stanford University and am on track to accomplish this at the completion of the spring quarter of 2012", said Luck.

Andrew Luck will not be made available to the media for comment at this time.

Courtesy Stanford media services.

sooner518
1/6/2011, 02:44 PM
wonder how good theyll be with Harbaugh gone......

i thought he said that Harbaugh's decision would influence his own decision. perhaps this is giving a hint?

Okie35
1/6/2011, 02:46 PM
wonder how good theyll be with Harbaugh gone......

i thought he said that Harbaugh's decision would influence his own decision. perhaps this is giving a hint?

I think Harbaugh will take his shot in the NFL. He can't pass up this opportunity. What if Stanford is worse next year? He'll be getting paid 5-7 million as an NFL HC while only 1.7mil at Stanford. What if Luck ends up going wherever Harbaugh is next year? They can still make that happen.

badger
1/6/2011, 02:48 PM
Thank goodness - won't have to see some Stanford guy on the cover of Xbox's college football game everytime NP fires it up. It's all Tebow this year and it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks :mad:

SoonerPr8r
1/6/2011, 02:48 PM
This doesn't necessarily mean that he will play the next year if he graduates in the spring. But i guess he could start on a 2nd bachelor or masters and stay enrolled.

yermom
1/6/2011, 02:57 PM
he'd play in Fall 2011 and graduate in Spring 2012, right?

should make the Pac-12 North interesting

CowboyMRW
1/6/2011, 02:59 PM
Thank goodness - won't have to see some Stanford guy on the cover of Xbox's college football game everytime NP fires it up. It's all Tebow this year and it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks :mad:

That's why you gotta play Black Ops :D

Okie35
1/6/2011, 03:00 PM
This doesn't necessarily mean that he will play the next year if he graduates in the spring. But i guess he could start on a 2nd bachelor or masters and stay enrolled.

He graduates in the spring of 2012.

TUSooner
1/6/2011, 03:05 PM
I'll believe it when I hear it from oudavid1.

SoonerLB
1/6/2011, 03:06 PM
Always nice to see common sense prevail over greed.

EatLeadCommie
1/6/2011, 03:06 PM
That statement does NOT indicate that he will return to play football at Stanford next year. It is a very qualified statement, and my guess is that it's a signal flare to the Panthers that he'd rather not play in Carolina next season.

BoomerJack
1/6/2011, 03:14 PM
Doesn't surprise me at all. When dad, Oliver, was a backup QB for Houston Oilers years ago, he pissed off HC Jerry Glanville for not attending a "voluntary" off-season training session to attend law school.

When Andrew was being recruited out of Houston area, the in state schools and most traditionall powers weren't even considered by him because he was determined to go out of state and get best academics possible.

badger
1/6/2011, 03:23 PM
That's why you gotta play Black Ops :D

I said NP... oh wait, you're fairly new here. NP is my husband. We share a house. And a vidya game console. He has a league thing going with friends where they pretend they're in big conference recruiting and stuff. The game would be a lot more fun to watch if Tebow screaming didn't appear everytime he fired that game up.

Fact: In the game, you can call up recruits and essentially scream S-E-C! in the phone to get them to waiver on their non-SEC commitments.

Okie35
1/6/2011, 03:23 PM
That statement does NOT indicate that he will return to play football at Stanford next year. It is a very qualified statement, and my guess is that it's a signal flare to the Panthers that he'd rather not play in Carolina next season.

Why risk it just to not want to play on the Panthers? He'd lose out on a lot of money. I don't think it has anything to do w/ that.

SbOrOiNaEnR
1/6/2011, 03:26 PM
You feel that slight breeze? That's Jimmy Clausen's huge sigh of relief.

royalfan5
1/6/2011, 03:27 PM
I wonder if his decision would be different without a lockout looming over the league.

badger
1/6/2011, 03:27 PM
You feel that slight breeze? That's Jimmy Clausen's huge sigh of relief.

I just felt a whiff of hot air... must be Mel Kiper holding out hope that his Jimmy-big-time-pro prediction comes true after all.

http://otrsportsonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/MelKiperJr.jpg

BillyBall
1/6/2011, 03:28 PM

This never gets old.

sperry
1/6/2011, 03:30 PM
Why risk it just to not want to play on the Panthers? He'd lose out on a lot of money. I don't think it has anything to do w/ that.

Yeah the Panthers are WAY better than the Rams, and that didn't affect Sam. I think Luck is just a smart enough guy to realize that College is the best time of your life, Pro football is a business rather than a game, and he's got it pretty well made right where he is now.

His family clearly is doing fine for itself, so it's not like he has pressure to get his family out of poverty either. Stanford will be really good next year, and he probably just wants to enjoy that.

oudavid1
1/6/2011, 03:53 PM

You play?

PLAY ME :D

TUSooner
1/6/2011, 04:12 PM

This never gets old.

Actually, it's already old, but it's still appropriate. :D

badger
1/6/2011, 04:34 PM
You play?

PLAY ME :D

Once again, I DO NOT PLAY THAT STUPID GAME. It is NP's, not mine. I am not sure I understand the reasoning behind buying a new copy of a game where all they do is change the jersey numbers every year, but he loves it, so I try to not to worry about it :O

NorCal Sooner
1/6/2011, 04:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

The above article on ESPN states:

Luck led Stanford to a 12-1 finish this season and a likely top-five rating in the final BCS standings. The program also has not been ranked in the top five in the AP poll since 1940.

Am I wrong in thinking that there are no final BSC standings. All that's left for the BSC in to crown a national champ. Right?

Okie35
1/6/2011, 05:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

The above article on ESPN states:

Luck led Stanford to a 12-1 finish this season and a likely top-five rating in the final BCS standings. The program also has not been ranked in the top five in the AP poll since 1940.

Am I wrong in thinking that there are no final BSC standings. All that's left for the BSC in to crown a national champ. Right?

There is a final BCS standings poll.

Okie35
1/6/2011, 05:31 PM
Yeah the Panthers are WAY better than the Rams, and that didn't affect Sam. I think Luck is just a smart enough guy to realize that College is the best time of your life, Pro football is a business rather than a game, and he's got it pretty well made right where he is now.

His family clearly is doing fine for itself, so it's not like he has pressure to get his family out of poverty either. Stanford will be really good next year, and he probably just wants to enjoy that.

:D good post.

sooner ngintunr
1/6/2011, 05:33 PM
There is a final BCS standings poll.

Yes there is and it has already been released. Luck led his team to #4.:D

I know the AP will have a final one after all of the bowl games, not sure about the Coaches poll, I don't think they do.

Okie35
1/6/2011, 05:36 PM
Nope. They have released the final one already. I know the AP will have a final one, not sure about the Coaches poll, I don't think they do.

Yea they(final BCS standings) came out Dec. 5th. I was thinking about the final AP poll. Which usually comes out a day or two after the BCS game.

oudavid1
1/6/2011, 05:44 PM
Once again, I DO NOT PLAY THAT STUPID GAME. It is NP's, not mine. I am not sure I understand the reasoning behind buying a new copy of a game where all they do is change the jersey numbers every year, but he loves it, so I try to not to worry about it :O

Tell him to play me!

CowboyMRW
1/6/2011, 05:48 PM
Sounds like someone just wrapped up the 2011 Heisman trophy

2121Sooner
1/6/2011, 05:50 PM
Why does Luck coming back wrap up the Heisman for Landry Jones?

Mississippi Sooner
1/6/2011, 05:51 PM
Is Stanford opening the season against BYU next year?

adoniijahsooner
1/6/2011, 05:52 PM

I agree...I only buy those when they come waaaayyyyy down in price. 2011 will be 10 dollars in July, and that is when I will buy it.

CowboyMRW
1/6/2011, 05:53 PM
Why does Luck coming back wrap up the Heisman for Landry Jones?

Landry is a good quarterback and plays on a good team, but Luck was a finalist and will probably put up just as good or better numbers. Plus the media have their darling now.

According to the media, it will be a 2 man race next year. James and Luck

KBoomer11
1/6/2011, 05:57 PM
I just saw Stanford play once this year, the bowl game, but he sure looked impressive. Granted, he had receivers running open all day but he has a good arm and he's a sharp kid. I see him as a Matt Ryan in the NFL.

soonergirlNeugene
1/6/2011, 06:10 PM
Losing Harbaugh seems almost assured at this point ($60k bathrooms notwithstanding) for Stanford. I don't know that they repeat their success next season without him. I wouldn't go awarding Heisman trophies just yet.

NorCal Sooner
1/6/2011, 06:14 PM
Losing Harbaugh seems almost assured at this point ($60k bathrooms notwithstanding) for Stanford. I don't know that they repeat their success next season without him. I wouldn't go awarding Heisman trophies just yet.

Yes I agree, see my other post

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150264

Eielson
1/6/2011, 06:38 PM
According to the media, it will be a 2 man race next year. James and Luck

And it was Pryor's this year. And Alabama was sure to repeat. And Florida was sure to repeat the year before.

OUthunder
1/6/2011, 06:42 PM
We now have our Heisman winner for next year unless Stanford loses more than two games or he gets injured and misses significant playing time.

ashley
1/6/2011, 08:13 PM
I like Luck because he did not have to have a press conference to announce. He just told someone. That is cool.

tcrb
1/6/2011, 09:11 PM
We now have our Heisman winner for next year unless Stanford loses more than two games or he gets injured and misses significant playing time.

Screw this! Next year OU is gonna be undefeated and chalk up #8 after Landry takes home the Stiff Arm!

CowboyMRW
1/6/2011, 09:17 PM
And it was Pryor's this year. And Alabama was sure to repeat. And Florida was sure to repeat the year before.

It's nearly impossible for teams to repeat nowadays.

Who all said it was Pryor's. I never thought that he would even come close to winning it

yermom
1/6/2011, 09:26 PM
he was the favorite during the preseason

CowboyMRW
1/6/2011, 09:34 PM
he was the favorite during the preseason

I went and looked at some old magazines for the preseason favorites, man did they miss big on almost every single thing

yermom
1/6/2011, 09:37 PM
well, if it wasn't for $Cam, tOSU going 11-1 might have been enough to at least get him to NY

Eielson
1/6/2011, 10:31 PM

A Heisman candidate getting hurt?! What?!

Eielson
1/6/2011, 10:35 PM
It's nearly impossible for teams to repeat nowadays.

Who all said it was Pryor's. I never thought that he would even come close to winning it

What about two years ago? Remember when we had two Heisman winners and the all-time wins leader playing in the same year? Everybody was sure that Bradford, Tebow, or McCoy was going to win it. Unfortunately, in the year of the quarterback, Mark Ingram won it, Gerhardt came in second, and Suh should've won it.