PDA

View Full Version : Things Babies Born in 2011 Will Never Know

MR2-Sooner86
1/6/2011, 12:02 PM
Things Babies Born in 2011 Will Never Know (http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/111745/things-babies-born-in-2011-will-never-know?mod=family-kids_parents)

Huffington Post recently put up a story called You're Out: 20 Things That Became Obsolete This Decade. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/22/obsolete-things-decade_n_800240.html#s210848&title=VCRs%20And%20VHS%20Tapes) It's a great retrospective on the technology leaps we've made since the new century began, and it got me thinking about the difference today's technology will make in the lives of tomorrow's kids.

I've used some of their ideas and added some of my own to make the list below: Do you think kids born in 2011 will recognize any of the following?

Video tape: Starting this year, the news stories we produce here at Money Talks have all been shot, edited, and distributed to TV stations without ever being on any kind of tape. Not only that, the tape-less broadcast camera we use today offers much higher quality than anything that could have been imagined 10 years ago -- and cost less than the lens on the camera we were using previously.

Travel agents: While not dead today, this profession is one of many that's been decimated by the Internet. When it's time for their honeymoon, will those born in 2011 be able to find one?

The separation of work and home: When you're carrying an email-equipped computer in your pocket, it's not just your friends who can find you -- so can your boss. For kids born this year, the wall between office and home will be blurry indeed.

Books, magazines, and newspapers: Like video tape, words written on dead trees are on their way out. Sure, there may be books -- but for those born today, stores that exist solely to sell them will be as numerous as record stores are now.

Movie rental stores: You actually got in your car and drove someplace just to rent a movie?

Watches: Maybe as quaint jewelry, but the correct time is on your smartphone, which is pretty much always in your hand.

Paper maps: At one time these were available free at every gas station. They're practically obsolete today, and the next generation will probably have to visit a museum to find one.

Wired phones: Why would you pay $35 every month to have a phone that plugs into a wall? For those born today, this will be a silly concept.

Long distance: Thanks to the Internet, the days of paying more to talk to somebody in the next city, state, or even country are limited.

Newspaper classifieds: The days are gone when you have to buy a bunch of newsprint just to see what's for sale.

Dial-up Internet: While not everyone is on broadband, it won't be long before dial-up Internet goes the way of the plug-in phone.

Encyclopedias: Imagine a time when you had to buy expensive books that were outdated before the ink was dry. This will be a nonsense term for babies born today.

Forgotten friends: Remember when an old friend would bring up someone you went to high school with, and you'd say, "Oh yeah, I forgot about them!" The next generation will automatically be in touch with everyone they've ever known even slightly via Facebook.

Forgotten anything else: Kids born this year will never know what it was like to stand in a bar and incessantly argue the unknowable. Today the world's collective knowledge is on the computer in your pocket or purse. And since you have it with you at all times, why bother remembering anything?

The evening news: The news is on 24/7. And if you're not home to watch it, that's OK -- it's on the smartphone in your pocket.

CDs: First records, then 8-track, then cassette, then CDs -- replacing your music collection used to be an expensive pastime. Now it's cheap(er) and as close as the nearest Internet connection.

Film cameras: For the purist, perhaps, but for kids born today, the word "film" will mean nothing. In fact, even digital cameras -- both video and still -- are in danger of extinction as our pocket computers take over that function too.

Yellow and White Pages: Why in the world would you need a 10-pound book just to find someone?

Catalogs: There's no need to send me a book in the mail when I can see everything you have for sale anywhere, anytime. If you want to remind me to look at it, send me an email.

Fax machines: Can you say "scan," ".pdf" and "email?"

One picture to a frame: Such a waste of wall/counter/desk space to have a separate frame around each picture. Eight gigabytes of pictures and/or video in a digital frame encompassing every person you've ever met and everything you've ever done -- now, that's efficient. Especially compared to what we used to do: put our friends and relatives together in a room and force them to watch what we called a "slide show" or "home movies."

Wires: Wires connecting phones to walls? Wires connecting computers, TVs, stereos, and other electronics to each other? Wires connecting computers to the Internet? To kids born in 2011, that will make as much sense as an electric car trailing an extension cord.

Hand-written letters: For that matter, hand-written anything. When was the last time you wrote cursive? In fact, do you even know what the word "cursive" means? Kids born in 2011 won't -- but they'll put you to shame on a tiny keyboard.

Talking to one person at a time: Remember when it was rude to be with one person while talking to another on the phone? Kids born today will just assume that you're supposed to use texting to maintain contact with five or six other people while pretending to pay attention to the person you happen to be physically next to.

Retirement plans: Yes, Johnny, there was a time when all you had to do was work at the same place for 20 years and they'd send you a check every month for as long as you lived. In fact, some companies would even pay your medical bills, too!

Mail: What's left when you take the mail you receive today, then subtract the bills you could be paying online, the checks you could be having direct-deposited, and the junk mail you could be receiving as junk email? Answer: A bloated bureaucracy that loses billions of taxpayer dollars annually.

Commercials on TV: They're terrifically expensive, easily avoided with DVRs, and inefficiently target mass audiences. Unless somebody comes up with a way to force you to watch them -- as with video on the Internet -- who's going to pay for them?

Commercial music radio: Smartphones with music-streaming programs like Pandora are a better solution that doesn't include ads screaming between every song.

Hiding: Not long ago, if you didn't answer your home phone, that was that -- nobody knew if you were alive or dead, much less where you might be. Now your phone is not only in your pocket, it can potentially tell everyone -- including advertisers -- exactly where you are.

SpankyNek
1/6/2011, 12:13 PM
Huck Finn in its original format.

The only thing I take umbrage with is The US Postal Service.

While it takes billions of dollars in tax money to support it, it has likely saved the end consumer 10 times as much by forcing UPS and Fed Ex to field competitive pricing.

StoopTroup
1/6/2011, 12:16 PM
How cool it was for oSu to have a 2nd Heisman Winner.

rekamrettuB
1/6/2011, 12:19 PM
Talking to one person at a time: Remember when it was rude to be with one person while talking to another on the phone? Kids born today will just assume that you're supposed to use texting to maintain contact with five or six other people while pretending to pay attention to the person you happen to be physically next to.

I have twins coming in May/June. This crap will not be tolerated as long as I'm in their life.

MR2-Sooner86
1/6/2011, 12:21 PM
How cool is was for oSu to have a 2nd Heisman Winner.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves now.

StoopTroup
1/6/2011, 12:37 PM
Lets not get ahead of ourselves now.

So...you're predicting it's possible?

StoopTroup
1/6/2011, 12:38 PM
What it's like to wipe it on the drapes afterwards.

OhU1
1/6/2011, 12:39 PM
"Talking to one person at a time: Remember when it was rude to be with one person while talking to another on the phone? Kids born today will just assume that you're supposed to use texting to maintain contact with five or six other people while pretending to pay attention to the person you happen to be physically next to."

This will get you booted out of my house.

Hiding: Not long ago, if you didn't answer your home phone, that was that -- nobody knew if you were alive or dead, much less where you might be. Now your phone is not only in your pocket, it can potentially tell everyone -- including advertisers -- exactly where you are.

As long as I own the phone/device I decide when I answer it, when I turn it on, and when and who I am available for. :eddie:

C&CDean
1/6/2011, 04:11 PM
Huck Finn in its original format.

The only thing I take umbrage with is The US Postal Service.

While it takes billions of dollars in tax money to support it, it has likely saved the end consumer 10 times as much by forcing UPS and Fed Ex to field competitive pricing.

Dude, get your facts straight. The US Postal Service has not spent a single penny of tax money to be supported. They are self-supported through stamp sales/postage. Another thing, UPS and FedEx cannot compete with USPS pricing models. FedEx is probably a little faster, but it ain't cheaper - by a long shot. UPS just sucks.

3rdgensooner
1/6/2011, 04:15 PM
As long as I own the phone/device I decide when I answer it, when I turn it on, and when and who I am available for. Get out of my head man!

MR2-Sooner86
1/6/2011, 05:50 PM
So...you're predicting it's possible?

OSU to have a second Heisman winner? They could have one...when we win a few more national championships and several more Hesiman winners ourselves.

SunnySooner
1/6/2011, 07:41 PM
I haven't had a landline since 2001, it's very freeing, like walking around without your underwear. ;)

olevetonahill
1/6/2011, 07:50 PM
I haven't had a landline since 2001, it's very freeing, like walking around without your underwear. ;)

:hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

sappstuf
1/6/2011, 08:38 PM
Dude, get your facts straight. The US Postal Service has not spent a single penny of tax money to be supported. They are self-supported through stamp sales/postage. Another thing, UPS and FedEx cannot compete with USPS pricing models. FedEx is probably a little faster, but it ain't cheaper - by a long shot. UPS just sucks.

What?

The Postal Service, as it is quick to point out, is legally prohibited from taking tax dollars. But in order to stay afloat, the agency has been actively borrowing from the U.S. Treasury: At last count, according to Postal Service spokeswoman Yvonne Yoerger, it owes the government $10.2 billion.

I wouldn't go holding your breath for that 10 billion to be paid back....

Pricetag
1/7/2011, 12:59 AM
Watches: Maybe as quaint jewelry, but the correct time is on your smartphone, which is pretty much always in your hand.

Eh, I'm not so sure about this one. The battery in my watch is dead right now, and it's a much bigger pain to get my phone out than to glance at where my watch normally is.

Breadburner
1/7/2011, 01:44 AM
What it's like to wipe it on the drapes afterwards.

Does the carpet match the drapes...?????

SpankyNek
1/7/2011, 09:48 AM

Not sure why you are jumping on me...I guess that I did a poor job of conveying my sentiments.

I was taking umbrage with the listing of the US Postal service as something babies born today will never know. I believe they are here to stay.

Fed Ex and UPS are both cheaper with the Post Office as competition than they would be if the service was nixed...this was my point.

OUmillenium
1/7/2011, 11:57 AM
Quality cartoons could have been added to the list...
Herkuloids
Johnny Quest - often the bad guys were blown up, died in accident, or somehow met an untimely end exemplifying the dire consequences of poor moral judgement
GI JOE - only part I hated was that every blown up plane or helicopter of course had parachute(s)
Transformers
Flash Gordon
Tarzan (late 70s)

3rdgensooner
1/7/2011, 12:03 PM
Eh, I'm not so sure about this one. The battery in my watch is dead right now, and it's a much bigger pain to get my phone out than to glance at where my watch normally is.I wondered about that one too. And there are still many scenarios where it is uncouth to have your phone in your hand.

rekamrettuB
1/7/2011, 12:48 PM
Quality cartoons could have been added to the list...
Herkuloids
Johnny Quest - often the bad guys were blown up, died in accident, or somehow met an untimely end exemplifying the dire consequences of poor moral judgement
GI JOE - only part I hated was that every blown up plane or helicopter of course had parachute(s)
Transformers
Flash Gordon
Tarzan (late 70s)

Sooooooo...you're into death?

delhalew
1/7/2011, 01:02 PM
For some reason, the only good cartoons are on adult swim. Without the mega violence of Looney Toons, our children are Doomed!

MR2-Sooner86
1/7/2011, 01:22 PM
Cartoons died about the late 80's early 90's.

Animaniacs was a nice flashback to classic Warner Brothers.
Eek! the Cat watching it now was genius.
Garfield & Friends? **** yeah!
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was ****ing awesome.
Fraggle Rock was an excellent show.

Of course you can't forget the Bugs and Tweety Show. I also loved George of the Jungle, Super Chicken, and Tom Slick.

Pricetag
1/7/2011, 01:37 PM
There are a lot of crap cartoons out there, but there are a few that are pretty solid pretty recently. "Avatar: The Last Airbender" was top notch. "Phineas and Ferb" on Disney is very good. Lots of creative stuff and musical themes in there.

jumperstop
1/7/2011, 02:14 PM
Cartoons died about the late 80's early 90's.

Animaniacs was a nice flashback to classic Warner Brothers.
Eek! the Cat watching it now was genius.
Garfield & Friends? **** yeah!
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was ****ing awesome.
Fraggle Rock was an excellent show.

Of course you can't forget the Bugs and Tweety Show. I also loved George of the Jungle, Super Chicken, and Tom Slick.

All great shows, but I think kids like the shows they watch today and will have the nostalgia that you have for these shows when they are older.

C&CDean
1/7/2011, 02:31 PM
This kind of stuff can be said about almost any generation. I ain't that old, but I was alive and I can remember when:

-JFK got shot
-MLK got shot
-Marilyn ODd
-The Beatles were on Ed Sullivan
-Ed Sullivan was in B & W only
-Elvis was on Ed Sullivan in B & W
-There were only 3 TV stations available - and all of them played the National Anthem at 10:30 after the news and then went off the air
-There were only rotary phones and party lines
-There weren't microwaves, VCRs, cassette tapes, or a digital anything
-The Green Bay Packers won the first two Super Bowls
-Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon
-Paychecks were paper
-The bank opened at 10 am and closed at 3 pm

I flew on a Super Constellation (prop job) between NYC and Paris (remember Pan Am Airlines?) and was bigtime when I flew on a 707 from Paris to NYC 3 years later.

I was raised in Tucson without air conditioning or heat and didn't know any difference.

I could go on and on, but the point is there's a buttload of stuff each new generation will never witness/experience/know about.

TitoMorelli
1/7/2011, 03:29 PM
Things Babies Born in 2011 Will Never Know (http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/111745/things-babies-born-in-2011-will-never-know?mod=family-kids_parents)

The original OUI board (sigh).:(

Ctina
1/7/2011, 04:10 PM
If the Postal Service is using Federal funds, it is a new thing. As of a couple years ago, they hadn't accepted the annual stipend allotted to the by Congress in many, many years. They had been totally self supporting for decades. The last few years have been hard on them and that's when their budget got shot to hell.

C&CDean
1/7/2011, 04:18 PM
If the Postal Service is using Federal funds, it is a new thing. As of a couple years ago, they hadn't accepted the annual stipend allotted to the by Congress in many, many years. They had been totally self supporting for decades. The last few years have been hard on them and that's when their budget got shot to hell.

They've used some on a loan basis, but it has to be paid back. It was to help pre-fund retirees health benefits (something no other government agency has to do). They'll pay it back.

olevetonahill
1/7/2011, 04:24 PM
They've used some on a loan basis, but it has to be paid back. It was to help pre-fund retirees health benefits (something no other government agency has to do). They'll pay it back.

Thats why Stamps are going up again huh ?

Actually its still a hell of a deal
44 cents to get something from point A to point B with very little effort on yer part

Dean I still help Yall every chance i get
All this junk mail with Free offers of ****?
I save em up then take One companies stuff and stick in the others companies Prepaid envelopes and mail em each others ****

I have noticed tho that im not gettin as much Junk mail lately:D

StoopTroup
1/7/2011, 08:43 PM
...that Kurt Cobain was really shot by the Foo Fighters Ray Gun.

http://www.fanboy.com/archive-images/buck-rogers-atomic.jpg

FirstandGoal
1/7/2011, 10:31 PM
Back to watch vs. cell phone.

Went on a cruise last year with a group of people and all of us turned our cell phones off to avoid international charges. Didn't hit us till we were getting ready for bed the first night that we had no way to tell time cause there was no clock in the cabin. One of the things I remember most about the experience was being frustrated because I never knew for sure what the exact time was. I think we (as a society) have become very dependent on our cell phones.

TitoMorelli
1/8/2011, 12:41 AM

Went on a cruise last year with a group of people and all of us turned our cell phones off to avoid international charges. Didn't hit us till we were getting ready for bed the first night that we had no way to tell time cause there was no clock in the cabin. One of the things I remember most about the experience was being frustrated because I never knew for sure what the exact time was. I think we (as a society) have become very dependent on our cell phones.

I didn't realize so many people quit wearing watches because their cellphones display current time. I don't think I could get used to not wearing a watch. And unless the cellphone is strapped to your wrist, it seems a lot easier to check the time with a Timex.

Turd_Ferguson
1/8/2011, 01:01 AM

Went on a cruise last year with a group of people and all of us turned our cell phones off to avoid international charges. Didn't hit us till we were getting ready for bed the first night that we had no way to tell time cause there was no clock in the cabin. One of the things I remember most about the experience was being frustrated because I never knew for sure what the exact time was. I think we (as a society) have become very dependent on our cell phones.Are you saying that just having the phone turned on would incur international charges?

olevetonahill
1/8/2011, 01:10 AM
Hell I aint worn a watch in 25 years, Cause I dont really GAF what time it is .

SicEmBaylor
1/8/2011, 01:58 AM
I remember when we got rid of our old rotary phones in the house and switched to touch tone phones. I was fascinated by them...the wave of the future those were.

I sort of miss the old rotary phones in a hipster-nostalgic kind of way. Having to turn each number and wait for the little wheel to wind back to the top before turning the next number...if the phone number had a bunch of 9's it took half an hour to dial a number. Good times. Good times.

Pricetag
1/8/2011, 02:05 AM
Are you saying that just having the phone turned on would incur international charges?
What did happen to us on a cruise is that the phones rapidly drained their batteries searching in vain for service, so we charged them back up and shut them off for the duration.

SicEmBaylor
1/8/2011, 02:06 AM
What did happen to us on a cruise is that the phones rapidly drained their batteries searching in vain for service, so we charged them back up and shut them off for the duration.

You could have put them into airplane mode. That turns off the wireless antenna along with the GPS, wifi, bluetooth, etc.

Eielson
1/8/2011, 02:11 AM
OSU to have a second Heisman winner? They could have one...when we win a few more national championships and several more Hesiman winners ourselves.

Barry Sanders won the Heisman for them.

Eielson
1/8/2011, 02:13 AM
Books, magazines, and newspapers: Like video tape, words written on dead trees are on their way out. Sure, there may be books -- but for those born today, stores that exist solely to sell them will be as numerous as record stores are now.

I'm pretty confident there will be books for these 2011 babies to know. I hate reading electronicly, and I know I'm not the only one who feels the same.

texaspokieokie
1/8/2011, 10:50 AM
This kind of stuff can be said about almost any generation. I ain't that old, but I was alive and I can remember when:

-JFK got shot
-MLK got shot
-Marilyn ODd
-The Beatles were on Ed Sullivan
-Ed Sullivan was in B & W only
-Elvis was on Ed Sullivan in B & W
-There were only 3 TV stations available - and all of them played the National Anthem at 10:30 after the news and then went off the air
-There were only rotary phones and party lines
-There weren't microwaves, VCRs, cassette tapes, or a digital anything
-The Green Bay Packers won the first two Super Bowls
-Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon
-Paychecks were paper
-The bank opened at 10 am and closed at 3 pm

I flew on a Super Constellation (prop job) between NYC and Paris (remember Pan Am Airlines?) and was bigtime when I flew on a 707 from Paris to NYC 3 years later.

I was raised in Tucson without air conditioning or heat and didn't know any difference.

I could go on and on, but the point is there's a buttload of stuff each new generation will never witness/experience/know about.

i remember all that stuff. i'm older than you. my Dad was born before planes.

i never flew on a Connie, but worked with some folks @ lockheed that built them.
flew on goonie birds.
tuscon musta been pretty tuff without heat.

cccasooner2
1/8/2011, 09:02 PM
Wringing out that last significant digit on a slide-rule.