PDA

View Full Version : $100bn in cuts

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/5/2011, 09:00 PM
Promised by Republican leaders of the new congress. Where would you like to see cuts made?

For me, I'd like to see the tax code simplified and entitlements significantly cut. Many Republicans have mentioned both of these ideas, but entitlements are dreadfully hard to cut and I'm not sure tax code reform can rake in $100bn. However, I'm afraid cuts will also be aimed at Pell Grants, CDC Head Start Program and the National Institute of Health, rather than what they should be aimed at, military spending. If the Republicans (especially the Tea Partiers) were all about small government and individual liberty, the military would be the first place to cut back, since we are spending an extraordinary amount. Thoughts?

Blue
1/5/2011, 09:13 PM
Agree. Get out of Afghanistan and Iraq. That would save alot more than 100 billion.

Also 100 billion is laughable when our national debt is over 50 Trillion. no?

dwarthog
1/5/2011, 09:33 PM
Anything enacted by the "progressives", over the last couple of years would be a great start and far exceed the stated goal.

After that, go undo the crap those elected morons did in the previous 6 years.

fadada1
1/5/2011, 10:07 PM
Promised by Republican leaders of the new congress. Where would you like to see cuts made?

For me, I'd like to see the tax code simplified and entitlements significantly cut. Many Republicans have mentioned both of these ideas, but entitlements are dreadfully hard to cut and I'm not sure tax code reform can rake in $100bn. However, I'm afraid cuts will also be aimed at Pell Grants, CDC Head Start Program and the National Institute of Health, rather than what they should be aimed at, military spending. If the Republicans (especially the Tea Partiers) were all about small government and individual liberty, the military would be the first place to cut back, since we are spending an extraordinary amount. Thoughts?
probably correct. anything to keep america from becoming more educated - the republican way, imo. forget who said it, "nothing more scary than an educated population."

you're also correct about the military spending. having served in the navy, on an aircraft carrier, on a 6 month deployment, during a smallish conflict (boz/hertz), the daily cost of operating a ship of that size is ASTRONOMICAL!! most people forget it's not just 1 aircraft carrier... it's usually 3-4 in a theater, all with 12-13 other ships in the battle group. that's a lot of mouths to feed and people to pay (all tax free, btw... with sea pay and fire-zone pay, etc....). and that's just the everyday sailor. wars ain't cheep - and that's just the monetary cost.

SpankyNek
1/5/2011, 10:34 PM
probably correct. anything to keep america from becoming more educated - the republican way, imo. forget who said it, "nothing more scary than an educated population."

you're also correct about the military spending. having served in the navy, on an aircraft carrier, on a 6 month deployment, during a smallish conflict (boz/hertz), the daily cost of operating a ship of that size is ASTRONOMICAL!! most people forget it's not just 1 aircraft carrier... it's usually 3-4 in a theater, all with 12-13 other ships in the battle group. that's a lot of mouths to feed and people to pay (all tax free, btw... with sea pay and fire-zone pay, etc....). and that's just the everyday sailor. wars ain't cheep - and that's just the monetary cost.

Heard this morning that they are only going to be able to enact $35 mil in cuts instead...sorry voters.

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/5/2011, 10:35 PM
Heard this morning that they are only going to be able to enact $35 mil in cuts instead...sorry voters.
I thought only Obama lied?

SpankyNek
1/5/2011, 10:42 PM
I thought only Obama lied?

That's the scuttlebutt (To use a military term).

Homeland security is a redundant program, along with many other military related programs.

Would be happy with some one way tickets home for our soldiers and a few nuclear subs patrolling the seas.

We proved in WWII that we had the firepower to end wars without sacrificing American lives.

We have spent the last few wars showing the world that we are willing to expend them for profit.

Veritas
1/5/2011, 11:05 PM
We proved in WWII that we had the firepower to end wars without sacrificing American lives.
Unfortunately we now lack the intestinal fortitude.

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/5/2011, 11:25 PM
Unfortunately we now lack the intestinal fortitude.Or the necessity

Sooner5030
1/5/2011, 11:40 PM
$100 billion????

They're $1.5 mf'n trillion short!

The gap has to be closed. Cut spending +$700 billion and tax us +700 billion more or else prepare for default.

Buy land....metals and grow your own crops.

2121Sooner
1/5/2011, 11:42 PM
I bet if we cut out the whole "giving illegals everything under the sun" mentality I bet we could save a little more than the $100 Billion

Just a thought.

Blue
1/5/2011, 11:44 PM
$100 billion????

They're $1.5 mf'n trillion short!

The gap has to be closed. Cut spending +$1.4 trillion and tax us +0 more or else prepare for default or tell Goldman Sachs to give us our money back and problem solved.

FIFY maybe.

soonerinkaty
1/5/2011, 11:57 PM
WIC

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/6/2011, 12:02 AM
I bet if we cut out the whole "giving illegals everything under the sun" mentality I bet we could save a little more than the $100 Billion

Just a thought.
And make the path to citizenship easier so these immigrants can actually pay into the system

WIC
"WIC provides Federal grants to States for supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition education for low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, and to infants and children up to age five who are found to be at nutritional risk." Cut that?

2121Sooner
1/6/2011, 12:04 AM
And make the path to citizenship easier so these immigrants can actually pay into the system

I am not so sure that if were easier that there would be a big rush to be citizens. Why stop doing what they currently do and have the big bad USA take more of their money when they can send it all back home.

soonerinkaty
1/6/2011, 12:08 AM
"WIC provides Federal grants to States for supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition education for low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, and to infants and children up to age five who are found to be at nutritional risk." Cut that?

I see that **** get exploited err'y damn day. Hell, today this woman with four kids rolls up there in a decked out dodge charger with 22's and goes in and gets ****. At least tighten that up.

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/6/2011, 12:12 AM
I am not so sure that if were easier that there would be a big rush to be citizens. Why stop doing what they currently do and have the big bad USA take more of their money when they can send it all back home.
There are still plenty who want to be citizens and it shouldn't be as difficult as it currently is. I don't advocate total amnesty, but some sort of trial citizenship or program. This is still an immigrant nation with PLENTY of room to grow

Blue
1/6/2011, 12:14 AM
There are still plenty who want to be citizens and it shouldn't be as difficult as it currently is. I don't advocate total amnesty, but some sort of trial citizenship or program. This is still an immigrant nation with PLENTY of room to grow

Being fluent in English should be mandatory.

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/6/2011, 12:20 AM
Strongly agree, bilingual nations are rarely internally stable.

2121Sooner
1/6/2011, 12:22 AM

We dont expect that of the majortity of illiterate ****s in America right now, why require it of the noobs.....

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/6/2011, 12:23 AM
We dont expect that of the majortity of illiterate ****s in America right now, why require it of the noobs.....
Fluent meaning able to communicate i think :D

soonerinkaty
1/6/2011, 12:23 AM
Because we get tired of pushing 1 for english.

2121Sooner
1/6/2011, 12:26 AM
Because we get tired of pushing 1 for english.

I usually push "numero dos" and then put both quarters of high school Spanish to good use in absolutely butchering Spanish .........

fadada1
1/6/2011, 09:44 AM

maybe they can get the powerball winners to help out.

OklahomaTuba
1/6/2011, 09:55 AM
However, I'm afraid cuts will also be aimed at Pell Grants, CDC Head Start Program and the National Institute of Health, rather than what they should be aimed at, military spending. If the Republicans (especially the Tea Partiers) were all about small government and individual liberty, the military would be the first place to cut back, since we are spending an extraordinary amount. Thoughts?Last time the donks gutted the military we got attacked. And we wonder why they didn't do it the last 2 years?

I don't think surrendering to AQ is the right way to save money when one attack like 9/11 costs more than anything we could possibly save.

The fact of the matter is Obumblefuc's bailouts and nationalizations, social security and medicare have nearly bankrupted this country now, and will very soon. Not military spending.

SpankyNek
1/6/2011, 10:00 AM
Last time the donks gutted the military we got attacked. And we wonder why they didn't do it the last 2 years?

I don't think surrendering to AQ is the right way to save money when one attack like 9/11 costs more than anything we could possibly save.

The fact of the matter is Obumblefuc's bailouts and nationalizations, social security and medicare have nearly bankrupted this country now, and will very soon. Not military spending.
So we want our government to be moral?

Why is the life of someone who died at the WTC worth more than the lives of the soldiers dying overseas, or the kids that need WIC or Welfare to survive.

If you are talking dollars and cents, the "cost" of what we put into Homeland security is Gulliver, and the cost of rebuilding a few buildings is the Lilliputians.

(I read Swift...haven't seen the Jack Black yet)

Aldebaran
1/6/2011, 10:15 AM
We're paying for global stability of the world's recources and market stability for our companies to trade abroad, but it seems like our country is the only country footing the bill.

And by having bases in all of these places around the world, we inspire animosity in resident populations, creating scenarios in which we are required to spend even more of our national wealth and human lives, not to mention a heightened threat of terrorism.

It doesn't seem like we can sustain it. I'm not even sure we should.

The Profit
1/6/2011, 11:12 AM
Strongly agree, bilingual nations are rarely internally stable.

Oh really? Tell that to the Swiss.

OklahomaTuba
1/6/2011, 11:14 AM
So we want our government to be moral?

Why is the life of someone who died at the WTC worth more than the lives of the soldiers dying overseas, or the kids that need WIC or Welfare to survive.

If you are talking dollars and cents, the "cost" of what we put into Homeland security is Gulliver, and the cost of rebuilding a few buildings is the Lilliputians.

It's not a question or morality, it's a question of security & common sense. The ramifications of 9/11 are still felt today.

Why risk another attack that did so much to this country to just "save money" when it's the spending on **** that doesn't do anything (like all the jobs Porkulus created) that's causing the problem???

OklahomaTuba
1/6/2011, 11:16 AM
It doesn't seem like we can sustain it. I'm not even sure we should.It's been sustained since the end of WW2, which has coincided with the greatest expansion of peace, prosperity & liberty in world history.

But i'm sure the two don't coincide in you're mind.

SpankyNek
1/6/2011, 11:23 AM
It's not a question or morality, it's a question of security & common sense. The ramifications of 9/11 are still felt today.

Why risk another attack that did so much to this country to just "save money" when it's the spending on **** that doesn't do anything (like all the jobs Porkulus created) that's causing the problem???

The ramifications of 9/11 are still felt today, because that is the path we CHOSE to take.

We have spent Trillions on 2 wars overseas, installed new governments, mandated states to implement new federal guidelines for security at airports and detaining of suspected terrorists...all in the name of fear.

We have exacerbated the problem on the dime of the Chinese (which is turning into quarters and dollars while we sit here, unable to pay).

I would rather fly the airline that doesn't look at my junk and allows a me to bring a Dr. Pepper through security for substantial cost reduction...I'll take the risk.

In addition, why would we break the promise of Social Security just to "save money?"

Why would we imperil the lives of many disadvantaged youth by trimming welfare "just to save money?"

Why would we expend American lives in the middle east to have more stake in Oilfields "just to save (future) money?"

How ould spending twice as much on the military in 1998 have prevented 9/11?

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/6/2011, 11:47 AM
Oh really? Tell that to the Swiss.
"Rarely" meaning there are some that still are stable

The best way to stop terrorism is to stop participating in it

Last time the donks gutted the military we got attacked. And we wonder why they didn't do it the last 2 years?

When was this?

StoopTroup
1/6/2011, 12:00 PM
I think it should all be from Education. I learn everything I need to know right here. WTF does someone need to spend a **** load of money when they can just go out....start their own business and be successful like all the Republicans do. :D

StoopTroup
1/6/2011, 12:04 PM
I love it when folks repeat pormises that worked so well in the past. It really allows me to sleep at night knowing they are going to work hard to reduce the deficit and make all our lives better. It's good to know you can at least trust one party in this Country.

http://www.politifake.org/image/political/0912/george-hw-bush-president-taxes-bush-conservative-political-poster-1260489616.gif

3rdgensooner
1/6/2011, 12:19 PM
We could go this route:

Romanian Witches Use Spells to Protest New Taxes (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/05/ap/strange/main7216288.shtml)

Angry Witches Use Cat Excrement and Dead Dogs to Cast Spells on President and Government; Politicians Aren't Laughing It Off

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2011/01/05/image7216255g.jpg
Romanian witch Mihaela Minca, right,
speaks during an interview with The
Associated Press, as her daughter and
apprentice Casanndra, left, looks on, in
Mogosoaia, Romania, Jan. 5, 2011.

StoopTroup
1/6/2011, 12:48 PM
What about the Romulan Witches? Are they hawter that the Vulcan Women?

http://deadcityradio.org/noise/Troi%20is%20one%20hawt%20Romulan-thumb.jpg

MR2-Sooner86
1/6/2011, 01:25 PM
I'm sure we can find something in there to cut.
http://www.federalbudget.com/chart.gif

Couple of little things.

$15,000,000,000 - War on Drugs
$7,700,000,000 - Pork spending in '09 'Stimulus Package'
$8,500,000,000 - Money lost by the USPS in 2010
$12,150,000,000 - IRS funding 2010 (implement the Fair Tax)

There's more but that's a start. What do I know though? I'm not a high paid, highly educated politician who knows better than the simpletons.

OklahomaTuba
1/6/2011, 01:48 PM
The best way to stop terrorism is to stop participating in itSo you're calling what our soldiers are doing over in Iraq and Afghanistan terrorism???

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/6/2011, 02:33 PM
So you're calling what our soldiers are doing over in Iraq and Afghanistan terrorism???
No...I'm calling the CIA's support of Bin Laden throughout the 70s and 80s participating in terrorism that came back to bite us in the ***

oudanny
1/6/2011, 02:40 PM
Start with farm subsidies.

MR2-Sooner86
1/6/2011, 02:44 PM
So you're calling what our soldiers are doing over in Iraq and Afghanistan terrorism???

Who funded the Taliban when they were fighting the Russians?
Who funded Saddam Hussein during the Iran-Iraq War?
Who was selling arms to Iran?
Who buys oil from Saudi Arabia which produces a big majority of terrorist and terrorist groups?

Maybe if we stopped dicking around in places we shouldn't be we wouldn't have it come back and bite us in the ***.

Aldebaran
1/6/2011, 02:45 PM
It's been sustained since the end of WW2, which has coincided with the greatest expansion of peace, prosperity & liberty in world history.

But i'm sure the two don't coincide in you're mind.

War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength.

delhalew
1/6/2011, 03:05 PM
Dissolve everything beginning in Department of...

Make congress do it's job.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/6/2011, 03:22 PM
$100 billion is a good starting point.

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/6/2011, 05:10 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12130628

$78bn cut out for EFVs and SAMs and some cuts to F-35 orders. Think the army could take a few cuts? Glad to see UAVs and littoral combat ships are not on the chopping block.

delhalew
1/6/2011, 05:12 PM
$100 billion is a good starting point.

Not to mention Gates announced today that the Pentagon will cut 78 billion over the next 5 years.

The fact that these conversations are taking place, is a step in the right direction. I don't see the benefit of complaining about debt and budgets, then complaining when real talks about making cuts begin.

If they reach an amount high enough as to not be insulting, then I view that as a good start.

olevetonahill
1/6/2011, 05:13 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12130628

$78bn cut out for EFVs and SAMs and some cuts to F-35 orders. Think the army could take a few cuts? Glad to see UAVs and littoral combat ships are not on the chopping block.

I found yer Pic dude .
http://www.racheshop.de/product_images/images/big/karneval-hippie-118899-1.jpg

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/6/2011, 05:25 PM
I found yer Pic dude .
Don't think you want to play that game, dude. If being against wasteful military spending makes me a hippy, then so be it, but EFVs have little future relevance. And since you won't believe me, try the undersecretary of the navy

http://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2010-11/hitting-beach-21st-century

AlboSooner
1/6/2011, 05:49 PM
I think spending cuts and letting the Bush tax breaks for the rich expire would be a great way to decrease the debt.

Sooner5030
1/6/2011, 09:23 PM
Send every citizen a debt statement (just like social security thingy they send out) where it lays out their portion of the debt owed.

At least more people would vote once they know that the magical unicorn has to be fed.

soonercruiser
1/6/2011, 11:30 PM
Agree. Get out of Afghanistan and Iraq. That would save alot more than 100 billion.

Also 100 billion is laughable when our national debt is over 50 Trillion. no?

No!
Get out of Europe first!
We have been there a he11 of a lot longer than Iraq or Afghanistan.

AlboSooner
1/7/2011, 12:44 PM
Having read Bob Woodward (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Woodward)'s, Bush at war (http://www.amazon.com/Bush-at-War-Bob-Woodward/dp/0743244613/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_6), and Obama's wars (http://www.amazon.com/Obamas-Wars-Bob-Woodward/dp/1439172498/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1), one thing is sure: the government has different ideas what it means to win in Iraq and Afghanistan. Nobody is set on one course to follow in order to win the war, and they all disagree what it means to win the war.

According to the books, the US is/was perilously close to losing the wars, this is due in part because both wars have been mismanaged badly, and because nobody has a clear idea what options to pursue. It is impossible for the US to kill all the Taliban and Al-Qaeda without Pakistan's approval, and Pakistan is in no mood to allow that for fear of a pro-India government in Afghanistan.

It was shocking to read how much of a crap-shoot, the management of the wars has been.

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/7/2011, 01:18 PM
No!
Get out of Europe first!
We're spending and dying a lot more in Iraq and Afghanistan though

MR2-Sooner86
1/7/2011, 01:28 PM
No!
Get out of Europe first!

We have a heavier presence in the Middle East/Asia than we do Europe. When the old Soviet Union collapsed we shut down several bases there as we didn't need them. Many of the bases we have there now are for NATO.

Having read Bob Woodward (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Woodward)'s, Bush at war (http://www.amazon.com/Bush-at-War-Bob-Woodward/dp/0743244613/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_6), and Obama's wars (http://www.amazon.com/Obamas-Wars-Bob-Woodward/dp/1439172498/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1), one thing is sure: the government has different ideas what it means to win in Iraq and Afghanistan. Nobody is set on one course to follow in order to win the war, and they all disagree what it means to win the war.

According to the books, the US is/was perilously close to losing the wars, this is due in part because both wars have been mismanaged badly, and because nobody has a clear idea what options to pursue. It is impossible for the US to kill all the Taliban and Al-Qaeda without Pakistan's approval, and Pakistan is in no mood to allow that for fear of a pro-India government in Afghanistan.

It was shocking to read how much of a crap-shoot, the management of the wars has been.

Which is why we need to pull out. As the Dems and GOP are playing politics with the issue our boys are over there dying.

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/7/2011, 01:36 PM
Which is why we need to pull out. As the Dems and GOP are playing politics with the issue our boys are over there dying.
I found yer Pic dude .

TheHumanAlphabet
1/7/2011, 02:23 PM
Simplify the tax code

Real budget cuts to agencies, not the crap of holding down the rise of spending

Starve agencies not specifically mentioned in the constitution, anything developed since Wilson should be reviewed for continuance...Miltary and defense of country is mentioned...

OH and whatever we do, we need to keep in mind the coming war with China...

MR2-Sooner86
1/7/2011, 02:45 PM
OH and whatever we do, we need to keep in mind the coming war with China...

Personally, I don't see it. However, I am open to any views that suggest otherwise.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/7/2011, 03:09 PM
Personally, I don't see it. However, I am open to any views that suggest otherwise.

How do you not see it?

They are cornering the world on rare earths and controling the market. We have a few open markets remaining, by the ChiComs control what 85%...

They are investing in and signing contracts for oil and gas all over, even in the U.S...they may become a gatekeeper for oil/gas though more likely locking in contracts and locking up product...

They are militarizing like crazy...new aircraft carrier and new carrier killing missiles...

They are cyber warring and developing a good means of diverting internet traffic...

Espionage, espionage, espionage...

Things like this...

MR2-Sooner86
1/7/2011, 03:18 PM
*moved to other thread*