PDA

View Full Version : Stay Classy Pelini....

jharkins
1/5/2011, 02:26 PM
and here I thought he would do anything for a Seamen...

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/bo-pelini-nebraska-cornhuskers-holiday-bowl-broken-promise-to-naval-officer-010511

Breadburner
1/5/2011, 02:30 PM
He looks like a Francis to me.....

Doged
1/5/2011, 02:39 PM
Seems pretty rude by Pelini, but I suppose it could have been just a miscommunication. At least the Navy Petty Officer got to attend the game and watch from the sidelines, though. That had to be fun for him.

The
1/5/2011, 02:43 PM
Seems pretty rude by Pelini, but I suppose it could have been just a miscommunication. At least the Navy Petty Officer got to attend the game and watch from the sidelines, though. That had to be fun for him.

"Hey son! You're getting a new Corvette for your 16th birthday!"

"Oh wow Dad, Awesome!"

Later, driving back home in the family minivan:

"Well son, at least you got to see a Corvette in the showroom."

sooner518
1/5/2011, 02:51 PM
usually when coaches do this, they let the person call the first play of the game. seems weird that the guy thought he would get called in sometime in the 4th quarter to call a play. Maybe Pelini thought they would be up by 30 points in the 4th quarter... LOL

NormanPride
1/5/2011, 02:56 PM
Was that an editorial or an article? Lots of exposition by the reporter that I don't care to read.

Pellini is an ***, and it's shown time and time again that he's hot headed and rude. He's no slouch as a coach, though.

badger
1/5/2011, 02:59 PM
http://www.gifninja.com/Workspace/f8564f68-8111-4bd0-9ea9-66744c784814/output.gif

MsProudSooner
1/5/2011, 03:00 PM
Pelini is a good coach, but he needs to learn to say what he means and mean what he says. He shoudn't have made that comment to the sailor if he didn't intend to follow through.

Widescreen
1/5/2011, 03:07 PM
According to the article, he had NU players asking him what play he was going to call so apparently very few were in on the joke.

Boomer Mooner
1/5/2011, 03:13 PM
Lisa Horne seems like **** stirring ****.

SoonerNutt
1/5/2011, 03:28 PM
usually when coaches do this, they let the person call the first play of the game. seems weird that the guy thought he would get called in sometime in the 4th quarter to call a play. Maybe Pelini thought they would be up by 30 points in the 4th quarter... LOL

I would guess that's more accurate than the official story. They were planning on having a bunch of 3rd stringers in the game by that time.

Imagine if a fan were allowed to call a play for OU in a bowl game, and we lost. Stoops would be raked over the coals for not taking the game seriously.

Pelini can't admit that he took UW lightly, but that is what appears to be the case.

Scott D
1/5/2011, 03:41 PM
Lisa Horne seems like **** stirring ****.

based on her career body of work, that would be accurate.

badger
1/5/2011, 04:04 PM
I would tend to agree with those of you that can't believe the Navy guy took this seriously, except for the fact that other coaches have done this before, perhaps not for bowl games, but for real games and scrimmage games alike. Stoops did none other than a TD TE in a Red/White game (I think it was a SS.com auction winner that called the drive's plays), and Charlie Weis did it for a terminal kid back when he was at Notre Dame, even though they were backed up their their own goalline and the kid wanted them to pass the ball (the play went for a first down)

MsProudSooner
1/5/2011, 04:41 PM
He just needs to think before he speaks. Don't say things he doen't mean.

gernblansten
1/5/2011, 04:53 PM
That article is so dramatic, it would be more appropriate if the situation were:

Sailor: Coach, my mom has a terminal illness and about 24 hours to live.
Pelini: I have the cure at the office, I'll go get it and give it to her within 12 hours.
[36 hours later]
Sailor: Why didn't you give my mom the cure?
Pelini: It was a joke, ma'm.
Sailor: I'm a dude.
Pelini: I know.

THE-JROD
1/5/2011, 07:02 PM
Pelini never should have said it if he didnt mean it... plain and simple! Would be funny as shyt if that kid will become a fan of another team now :D

finster
1/5/2011, 07:08 PM
Don't care much for Nebraska "Class" but, Sugercakes was doing her best to stir the pot.

THE-JROD
1/5/2011, 07:11 PM
Don't care much for Nebraska "Class" but, Sugercakes was doing her best to stir the pot.

Arent they all pretty good at that?

CBUS_SOONER
1/5/2011, 07:13 PM
not a big fan of bo

Leroy Lizard
1/5/2011, 07:17 PM
Ryan didn't spend a lot of time devising a special play, although a couple of his buddies suggested the "Fumble-rooski."

Which is illegal. This is why coaches don't let fans call plays.

That article is a lot of words about nothing.

THE-JROD
1/5/2011, 07:20 PM
Which is illegal. This is why coaches don't let fans call plays.

That article is a lot of words about nothing.

So because the friends suggested it, which could have been a joke, none of us know or really care, is why you cant let a fan call a play in which you gave your word you would let him? The article made the woman money which is all she cared about. The discussion we are having is how Pelini should have never said it if he didnt mean it!

Leroy Lizard
1/5/2011, 07:52 PM
So because the friends suggested it, which could have been a joke, none of us know or really care, is why you cant let a fan call a play in which you gave your word you would let him?

Pelini doesn't come off looking too good here, but my point was that coaches shouldn't let fans call plays. Too much at stake.

Sooner_Tuf
1/5/2011, 08:01 PM
Bad move by Bo. Of course if you tell a life long fan they can call a play they would believe it. Bo is not exactly building a good reputation. Too bad.

Blue
1/5/2011, 08:08 PM
Didn't Texas play NU in Lincoln this year?

finster
1/5/2011, 08:11 PM
Didn't Texas play NU in Lincoln this year?

Squids :rolleyes:

Blue
1/5/2011, 08:12 PM
Squids :rolleyes:

Huh?

finster
1/5/2011, 08:22 PM
Huh?

I think he meant A&M but got confused.

LASooner
1/5/2011, 08:34 PM
I think Pelini was expecting it to be another blowout, but when he found himself in a real game he forgot about it or wasn't going to waste a play on it. If you watch the video it didn't come off as a joke at all.

Sooner Cal
1/5/2011, 08:41 PM
He tried to one-up Sark and he ended up looking like a dirtbag. Pelini and Nebraska both suck.

soonerloyal
1/5/2011, 09:07 PM
Regardless of whether it was a "joke", a "miscommunication" or a failure to keep an offer to a fan & a young Sailor serving his country...the sh**'s in the fan now with the publication of this article. Hopefully Pelini (a friend of Coach Stoops) will see fit to honor the young man in some special way. Like a personal call with an apology, some team memorabilia, a locker room and sideline pass to the Husker vs. sweatyvest game. A big steak dinner wouldn't be amiss either. Hear that Bo? Do the hero right. Bo might have a bad temper, but I keep hearing he's a good & kind man. I hope he proves that right.

Hmm. I do think I'll pass this story on to some Nebraska Marine and Navy Moms. We broads can bring a *ahem* change of attitude on a subject when one of our "kids" is dissed.

Leroy Lizard
1/6/2011, 04:32 AM
LA2uxX3-gyc

Interesting story that is relevant:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2172623

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Charlie Weis doesn't usually let anyone else call plays on offense. He made an exception for 10-year-old Montana Mazurkiewicz.
When the Irish started on their own 1-yard-line following a fumble recovery, Mazurkiewicz wasn't sure Notre Dame would be able to throw a pass. Weis was concerned about that, too. So was quarterback Brady Quinn.

"He said 'What are we going to do?'" Weis said. "I said 'We have no choice. We're throwing it to the right.'"

Weis called a play where most of the Irish went left, Quinn ran right and looked for tight end Anthony Fasano on the right.

Mazurkiewicz watched with her family.

"I just closed my eyes. I thought, 'There's no way he's going to be able to make that pass. Not from where they're at. He's going to get sacked and Washington's going to get two points,'" she said.

Fasano caught the pass and leapt over a defender for a 13-yard gain.

oudavid1
1/6/2011, 05:10 AM
Lets get something straight, Bo Pellini is an average head coach, Ndamukung Suh is a great player.

What has he ever won on is own?
He gave up a 17 point lead to us, we couldnt beat crappy Texas. This guy is all hat and no cattle.

The best team they have beat in the past 3 years, Missouri at home.

Stoops is a good/great coach. Pellini is average with that talent he has.

King Barry's Back
1/6/2011, 06:53 AM
I would guess that's more accurate than the official story. They were planning on having a bunch of 3rd stringers in the game by that time.

Imagine if a fan were allowed to call a play for OU in a bowl game, and we lost. Stoops would be raked over the coals for not taking the game seriously.

Pelini can't admit that he took UW lightly, but that is what appears to be the case.

Yeah, that's exactly how I see it. Nobody but nobody thinks Pelini should have let some "fan from the stands" call a play in a close game -- when one play could determine the outcome. Now that Pelini had his *ss handed to him by UDub, he just can't admit that he thought they were an easy win.

King Barry's Back
1/6/2011, 06:58 AM
Huh?

"Squids" is an unflattering term for Sailors. Often used by Marines.

You pointed out the obvious fact that TX just won in Lincoln (which the Petty Office didn't seem to know), and finster was just explaining that "squids" are not considered to be very smart. At least by those using the term.

My Navy boss is completely excepted from this conversation, of course.

EatLeadCommie
1/6/2011, 07:20 AM
meh...just part of the press drive to get Pelini out of town. Be careful what you wish for, Huskers.

Sooners78
1/6/2011, 09:07 AM
I think Pelini was expecting it to be another blowout, but when he found himself in a real game he forgot about it or wasn't going to waste a play on it. If you watch the video it didn't come off as a joke at all.

This is probably what happened. It was a stupid thing to say in the first place, but once the huskers got behind, it would have been even more stupid to follow thru and let the kid call a play in that situation. I honestly believe Bo made that statement with the assumption that Nebraska would be comfortably ahead by the 4th quarter.

StoopTroup
1/6/2011, 09:28 AM
"Squids" is an unflattering term for Sailors. Often used by Marines.

You pointed out the obvious fact that TX just won in Lincoln (which the Petty Office didn't seem to know), and finster was just explaining that "squids" are not considered to be very smart. At least by those using the term.

My Navy boss is completely excepted from this conversation, of course.

Is it the Coast Guards guys that use the term "Swabbies"?

OUthunder
1/6/2011, 10:18 AM
Pelini and NU deserve each other. I give Bo two more years tops at NU, then he'll be looking for an assistant job somewhere.

Soonerson1975
1/6/2011, 10:26 AM
Pelini and NU deserve each other. I give Bo two more years tops at NU, then he'll be looking for an assistant job somewhere.

Kind of like Leach is now?

TUSooner
1/6/2011, 10:37 AM
Pelini is like other coaches known for their fiery attitudes, Mike Singletary for example. People seem to like them for their emotion and passion, but all that fire is usually a tell-tale sign thay they cannot control themselves. When they lose their cool under stress, they lose the respect of others -- like their players and bosses -- and then they lose control of their teams, and they lose their jobs. The only exception I can think of is Woody Hayes, but even so, his temper eventually undid him, though it took awhile. Lord preserve OU from ever getting a hothead for a coach! I won't be surprised if Pelini gets himself fired within 2 seasons.

Flagstaffsooner
1/6/2011, 11:38 AM
Little known fact, Larry the Cable Guy called all of the plays in that game.:D

TUSooner
1/6/2011, 12:49 PM
Little known fact, Larry the Cable Guy called all of the plays in that game.:D

I believe this.

More bad news for Nebbish: Martinez says he's coming back.

StoopTroup
1/6/2011, 12:53 PM
It's probably better for him to comeback instead of deport.

Soonermagik
1/6/2011, 12:58 PM
Seemed like a non-story after watching the video. He calmly said it was a joke and moved on. I thought he was pretty cool in the post game conference after that stunning loss to Washington.

bmjlr
1/6/2011, 01:17 PM
It's probably better for him to comeback instead of deport.

:D :D :D

Breadburner
1/6/2011, 01:20 PM
:D :D :D

Is he on a Corn Visa....????