PDA

View Full Version : the media is stupid...

rainiersooner
1/4/2011, 11:49 PM
and Stoops is right.

So I felt great about beating UCONN on Saturday. BCS monkey off of our back and all that. But today, I was thinking - what is more of an accomplishment (or conversely, what is a greater failure), beating UCONN three years in a row in the Fiesta Bowl, or losing to LSU, USC, and Florida in the BCS championship game? I'm pretty damn sure that the latter is more of an accomplishment.

I often hear fans from other teams talk about how arrogant Stoops is. One of the things I really appreciate about him as a person - not as a coach - is how he just calls a spade a spade and how he's not calculating about it...it seems to just roll off his tongue.

I loved his response to the reporter after the Fiesta Bowl. Reporter: "Coach how does it feel to end that five game BCS losing streak?" Stoops: "Well the way I look it we lost three championship games and two BCS games."

I also loved his response after Florida: "If this is the worst thing I have to go through in my life, I'm a pretty lucky guy."

Boomer.

sperry
1/5/2011, 12:02 AM
I feel exactly the opposite. He has to be glad to snap the losing streak. Yeah he doesn't like it being brought up because it's an accomplishment in and of itself to get there, but he's kidding himself if he thinks anyone buys that he hasn't thought about the losing streak and wanting to break it.

Myself and everyone I was with was thinking just say you're happy to get the win and quit acting like you don't care about losing them.

Soonerjeepman
1/5/2011, 12:02 AM
yup...the lady reporter on the radio was such an idiot...you could tell Stoops was pissed...after about 2 seconds he just starts hugging his kids and she is like blah blah blah...Bob is hugging his kids...then she asked the stupid question about what changes helped win the game..ex hotel..you stayed in another hotel...Stoops..THAT didn't win the game...I need to go be with my team...and left....I just rolled..she had no clue what to do...

Soonerjeepman
1/5/2011, 12:06 AM
I feel exactly the opposite. He has to be glad to snap the losing streak. Yeah he doesn't like it being brought up because it's an accomplishment in and of itself to get there, but he's kidding himself if he thinks anyone buys that he hasn't thought about the losing streak and wanting to break it.

Myself and everyone I was with was thinking just say you're happy to get the win and quit acting like you don't care about losing them.

I never got the impression he didn't CARE....I think he was pissed that people were knocking the competition...OU didn't lose to pansies....basically saying that losing isn't great BUT OU lost to some pretty good teams...

no one is ridin Beamers butt at Vtech..and he's lost 8 or 9 in a row.

On top of that if ya have ever coached and any level ya don't want to put a lot of stock into past games...can't change it. anyway that's my simple opinion.

85sooners
1/5/2011, 12:08 AM
Screw all media types

Leroy Lizard
1/5/2011, 12:23 AM
no one is ridin Beamers butt at Vtech..

And they shouldn't. VTech got into those games so Beamer has done a pretty good job. He certainly has done better than most of the other coaches in his conference.

But to a Virginia fan, VTech is a loser because they didn't win those games, just like Texas fans mock Stoops' BCS record. Well, you can't win a game you don't play in, and Texas didn't lose as many national title games as Stoops because they didn't play in as many national title games.

Salt City Sooner
1/5/2011, 12:46 AM
Prior to last night, Va. Tech had won their last 2 bowls, one of which was an Orange Bowl win over Cincy to end the '08 season.

Okie35
1/5/2011, 01:45 AM
And they shouldn't. VTech got into those games so Beamer has done a pretty good job. He certainly has done better than most of the other coaches in his conference.

But to a Virginia fan, VTech is a loser because they didn't win those games, just like Texas fans mock Stoops' BCS record. Well, you can't win a game you don't play in, and Texas didn't lose as many national title games as Stoops because they didn't play in as many national title games.

Thats always how I see it.

Leroy Lizard
1/5/2011, 01:51 AM
Over the past decade, Horn fans have spent nearly 40% of their winters praying for an OU loss in the national title game.

EatLeadCommie
1/5/2011, 02:05 AM
Prior to last night, Va. Tech had won their last 2 bowls, one of which was an Orange Bowl win over Cincy to end the '08 season.

That BCS win was their first in ages, maybe ever.

yermom
1/5/2011, 02:51 AM
yeah, that's the only one

Stoops is exactly right though, he's 2-2 in BCS games. they mean a whole lot less than the 4 BCS championship games he's played in

just think about the 2002, 2006, 2006, 2007 seasons vs. the 2000, 2003, 2004 and 2008 seasons if you stop before the bowl games

RahOkU
1/5/2011, 08:21 AM
I don't think Stoops acts arrogant.......

sooner518
1/5/2011, 08:29 AM
I also loved his response after Florida: "If this is the worst thing I have to go through in my life, I'm a pretty lucky guy."

Boomer.

I really like that quote too. its funny, Tony Romo said that after a playoff loss a couple years ago and the media absolutely killed him for it. ridiculous how screwed up some peoples' perspectives are.

Dwight
1/5/2011, 08:33 AM
and Stoops is right.

So I felt great about beating UCONN on Saturday. BCS monkey off of our back and all that. But today, I was thinking - what is more of an accomplishment (or conversely, what is a greater failure), beating UCONN three years in a row in the Fiesta Bowl, or losing to LSU, USC, and Florida in the BCS championship game? I'm pretty damn sure that the latter is more of an accomplishment.

I often hear fans from other teams talk about how arrogant Stoops is. One of the things I really appreciate about him as a person - not as a coach - is how he just calls a spade a spade and how he's not calculating about it...it seems to just roll off his tongue.

I loved his response to the reporter after the Fiesta Bowl. Reporter: "Coach how does it feel to end that five game BCS losing streak?" Stoops: "Well the way I look it we lost three championship games and two BCS games."

Boomer.

That's the way I see it.

NOVSooner
1/5/2011, 08:36 AM
no one is ridin Beamers butt at Vtech..and he's lost 8 or 9 in a row.

If i remember correctly, i saw where he is 1-27 against oppenents ranked in the top 5. 1-27. they aren't riding his butt b/c everyone knows it's going to be the same story every year. everyone knows va tech is overrated every season so the difference is the expectation level.

TUSooner
1/5/2011, 08:53 AM
what is more of an accomplishment (or conversely, what is a greater failure), beating UCONN three years in a row in the Fiesta Bowl, or losing to LSU, USC, and Florida in the BCS championship game? I'm pretty damn sure that the latter is more of an accomplishment.

Something's very wrong with that sentiment, perhaps the slight suggestion that it's an "either or" propsition. Obviously, getting to the BCS champ game is a great thing, but losing is never an accomplishment. I absolutely felt NO sense of accomplishment after we lost any three of those BCS-MNC games, especially the LSU game, where I had to live with dip**** LSU possum humpers before and after. And I'd rather see OU win any game than lose any game.

Partial Qualifier
1/5/2011, 09:22 AM
all I know is, as gaudy as it appears - it's gonna look great in our trophy closet

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejholmes20/fiesta.jpg

badger
1/5/2011, 10:01 AM
all I know is, as gaudy as it appears - it's gonna look great in our trophy closet

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejholmes20/fiesta.jpg

Bawwww... we actually don't get the ugly trophy. The ugly trophy is too expensive so they just present it to us after the game then keep it apparently :(

Also, for media types out there critical of our beating of The Conn, remember that the BCS games are invite-only, so we didn't choose The Conn, the Fiesta Bowl chose The Conn. The opponent wasn't up to us, it was up to them.

stoopified
1/5/2011, 10:09 AM
Bob is THE MAN

SoonerFaninAZ
1/5/2011, 10:33 AM
Under Bob Stoops, OU is 3-1 in lower tier post season exhibition games. They are 2-2 in upper tier post season exhibition games. They are 1-3 in post season games which matter.

And I'd rather they be 1-3, than 1-0. I'd rather they be 1-4 than 1-3.

And I'll do it for you...of course, I'd rather they be 4-0.

The
1/5/2011, 10:34 AM
Bawwww... we actually don't get the ugly trophy. The ugly trophy is too expensive so they just present it to us after the game then keep it apparently :(

Wait.... WTF????

Lawton4Life
1/5/2011, 10:59 AM
I saw that the trophy is worth 1.3 million. Do we at least get a knock off replica?

SoonerNutt
1/5/2011, 11:09 AM
I saw that the trophy is worth 1.3 million. Do we at least get a knock off replica?

I'd like to know this as well. What do we put in the Switzer Center trophy case?

OUthunder
1/5/2011, 11:12 AM
I'd like to know this as well. What do we put in the Switzer Center trophy case?

A bag of Tostitos?

Soonerwake
1/5/2011, 11:41 AM

I think we get that gold-painted football on top. or maybe not...;)

The
1/5/2011, 11:45 AM
Pffft. **** everything about the Fiesta Bowl.

badger
1/5/2011, 12:13 PM
A bag of Tostitos?

True story - a fat chick in bright orange who rushed the Poke field in 2002 was taunting me and the Sooners in the stands around me by dumping Tostitos on the field while yelling at us. I didn't have the heart (nor patience) to inform her that the Pokes did nothing but ensure us a Rose Bowl berth and didn't ruin our national title hopes, as we already had a loss that season.

;) maybe she helped clean up the field after I left?

rainiersooner
1/5/2011, 12:23 PM
Something's very wrong with that sentiment, perhaps the slight suggestion that it's an "either or" propsition. Obviously, getting to the BCS champ game is a great thing, but losing is never an accomplishment. I absolutely felt NO sense of accomplishment after we lost any three of those BCS-MNC games, especially the LSU game, where I had to live with dip**** LSU possum humpers before and after. And I'd rather see OU win any game than lose any game.

Let me rephrase - which hypothetical season as a whole would you consider more of a success/accomplishment?

(1) If we lost one game in the regular season, went on to win the Big XII championship, played UCONN in the Fiesta Bowl and won in a blowout; or

(2) If we lost one game in the regular season, went on to win the Big XII championship, played Florida in the BCS championship game and lost by a touchdown?

badger
1/5/2011, 12:29 PM
And I'd rather see OU win any game than lose any game.
I disagree! How DARE you make that statement that can never be met with anything but opposition! I suggest you change your opinion wholeheartedly before I disagree with it once again!

:P

KantoSooner
1/5/2011, 12:32 PM
A bag of Tostitos?

A single tostito.

gold plated, though.

Very understated and classy.