PDA

View Full Version : Attrition

SoonerOX
1/4/2011, 08:39 PM
I read on soonersports.com that Stoops was expecting some attrition, and that said attrition would make the schollie numbers work with the incoming class. Apparently, if you crunch the schollie numbers, we will be over the 85 schollie limit. However, Stoops insisted that the numbers will work due to attrition. Does anyone know who might be off the roster outside of seniors and potential early entries into the NFL draft? Thanks for any answers folks!

ouwasp
1/4/2011, 09:42 PM
No inside info at all... I just imagine Coach Stoops has had visits with players that aren't happy because of PT, homesickness, grades, whatever. And probably the rule of thumb has been "X" number of players will leave over the offseason. And who knows, Bob may be gently pushing a few of those along (discipline probs, non-production, etc)

badger
1/4/2011, 10:37 PM
*cough* kickers *cough*

MeMyself&Me
1/4/2011, 10:42 PM
It seems there are a few transfers and players that move on for other reasons every year. Not every underclassman not entering the draft returns the next year.

I'm sure it's normal to recruit planning on such. It seems I've noticed in years past that there were too many people coming in but not sure.

CowboyMRW
1/4/2011, 10:43 PM
*cough* kickers *cough*

Please stay kickers please stay ;) :D

badger
1/4/2011, 10:45 PM
Please stay kickers please stay ;) :D

:mad: for the record, I'm not saying any particular kicker, I just remember reading that unless anyone leaves, we'll have five schollys tied up in the kicking game. We should have two, maybe three. NOT five.

SpankyNek
1/4/2011, 11:06 PM
From what I have heard, which is little, I don't expect Daniel Noble to continue playing.

CowboyMRW
1/4/2011, 11:11 PM
:mad: for the record, I'm not saying any particular kicker, I just remember reading that unless anyone leaves, we'll have five schollys tied up in the kicking game. We should have two, maybe three. NOT five.

I'm just messing with you Badger. I read the same thing and thought the same thing, but being a Poke fan, the more scholly's you waste on kickers the less studs you can have which helps my team out.

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2011, 11:36 PM
*cough* kickers *cough*

THIS

oudavid1
1/5/2011, 01:46 AM
From what I have heard, which is little, I don't expect Daniel Noble to continue playing.

What! :eek: WHY?

sooner59
1/5/2011, 02:10 AM
He got hurt. Don't know what exactly, but I can't imagine it being career-ending.

EDIT: Something is telling me it was a concussion.

sperry
1/5/2011, 02:30 AM
Gotta think some of the kickers won't be back. Wouldn't be surprised if Jaz Reynolds left. Obviously Broyles and Lewis will probably go pro. Perhaps a running back may transfer?

CatfishSooner
1/5/2011, 02:37 AM
Broyles is staying...

oudavid1
1/5/2011, 03:36 AM

He got hurt. Don't know what exactly, but I can't imagine it being career-ending.

EDIT: Something is telling me it was a concussion.

http://i51.tinypic.com/30rwm76.jpg

This? I would think he would comeback though.

Widescreen
1/5/2011, 07:59 AM
How many kickers do we actually have on scholarship anyway? Way and Stevens are probably it.

PLaw
1/5/2011, 08:11 AM
No inside info at all... I just imagine Coach Stoops has had visits with players that aren't happy because of PT, homesickness, grades, whatever. And probably the rule of thumb has been "X" number of players will leave over the offseason. And who knows, Bob may be gently pushing a few of those along (discipline probs, non-production, etc)

^^^ This - and doesn't placing kids on the "medically unable to perform" list keep their scholly, but it's not counted against your total?

Boomer

RahOkU
1/5/2011, 08:15 AM
Gotta think some of the kickers won't be back. Wouldn't be surprised if Jaz Reynolds left. Obviously Broyles and Lewis will probably go pro. Perhaps a running back may transfer?

Obviously? Uh, no. Maybe, but not obviously (at least for this next season).......

bmjlr
1/5/2011, 09:22 AM
How many kickers do we actually have on scholarship anyway? Way and Stevens are probably it.

I believe O'Hara was given a scholarship this year and if I remember right, Stoops said there is a kicker coming in this Spring that he has promised a scholarship. There was an article on NewsOK, but I was unable to find it....mainly because I am really lazy. :D

Edit: I found the strength to continue looking

http://www.newsok.com/article/3515810#

badger
1/5/2011, 09:58 AM

From that NewsOK article:

Jimmy Stevens, Patrick O'Hara, Tress Way and Bryce Easley have scholarships, and Michael Hunnicutt has been promised one next year. None of the five are seniors.

I'm just messing with you Badger. I read the same thing and thought the same thing, but being a Poke fan, the more scholly's you waste on kickers the less studs you can have which helps my team out.
I'm sorry Cowboy, but this upcoming season, nothing, not even five kicking scholarships on the fairweather fan cheatin' gooner team, can help your team out from becoming the team on the fall this year. You postponed it one season, but next year, you'd be lucky to have eight wins.

Soonerfan88
1/5/2011, 10:20 AM
Stevens is a RS JR so might not be back next year. I think most of us expect Jaz Reynolds to leave and I also think they will put Noble on medical.

That would give us 2 more slots to fill - 3 if Archie Bradley goes to MLB.

SpankyNek
1/5/2011, 10:20 AM
http://i51.tinypic.com/30rwm76.jpg

This? I would think he would comeback though.

Here is what Jake Trotter wrote in his Post Season wrap up whith Coach Stoops.

The issue that’s been plaguing defensive tackle Daniel Noble has been a concussion he suffered early on in the season. Noble has had lingering issues, which has alarmed the OU medical staff. “I think he’ll be OK,” Stoops said, “but I don’t know.” If Noble is able to continue with football, Stoops said he didn’t think Noble would qualify for a medical redshirt this season.

We will not play someone that cannot be medically cleared (It has been approx. 3 months since his concussion and he has not been able to meet the benchmark yet). Would be a sad story, but I believe the outlook is more dire than most believe.

KantoSooner
1/5/2011, 10:24 AM
Not making the benchmark after three months is nothing short of a medical emergency. For his health, he should never play again.

BOOMERBRADLEY
1/5/2011, 10:24 AM

wrong

texaspokieokie
1/5/2011, 10:48 AM
in a program for last (2010) season, i count over 100 players on roster.

is there a bunch of walk-ons that don't count ??

Lawton4Life
1/5/2011, 11:10 AM
walkons dont count towards the 85 scholarships, but the days of having 50 walkons like Nebraska are dead and gone.

If we have 5 sub par kickers on scholarship next year I would be surprised.

texaspokieokie
1/5/2011, 11:27 AM
how many walk-ons are allowed ??

SoonerNutt
1/5/2011, 11:40 AM
So, which kickers are gone?

They promised Hunnicutt a ship, so does that mean they expect him to come in and take over immediately?

Can you really send Stevens packing and rely on a true freshman?

I can see O'Hara gone, and maybe Easley. Tress Way is too good of a punter.

If MH can come in and at least have a strong enough leg to handle kickoffs, then we are probably fine with Stevens and Hunnicutt at K, and Way at P.

gaylordfan1
1/5/2011, 11:41 AM
It might be easier for Stoops to trim down the schollies at kicker now that we know Lil Jimmy has stepped up. Im probably wrong though.

gaylordfan1
1/5/2011, 11:42 AM
If MH can come in and at least have a strong enough leg to handle kickoffs, then we are probably fine with Stevens and Hunnicutt at K, and Way at P.

Agreed.

blaine4oh5
1/5/2011, 11:48 AM
When Easley got to OU he was a walk on. I'm not postive that ever changed.

mainline13
1/5/2011, 11:56 AM
how many walk-ons are allowed ??

I'm not sure there is a limit by rule, but there is a practical limit. If they are good enough to play, they are probably good enough to get a scholarship somewhere.

Plus, there are limits to how many can dress out for a game - I don't remember those numbers (and for all I know, that rule may not still be on the books) but I do remember that the "traveling squad" was smaller than the number you could dress out for a home game.

texaspokieokie
1/5/2011, 12:03 PM
yep, i remember from several yrs ago, traveling squad was only 55.
that wasn't right. some that should, couldn't play on road games.

SoonerOX
1/5/2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the interesting discussion on my thread guys. I agree that a kicker or two should move on. However, I have no idea which ones. Jimmy seems to finally be reliable from 40 on in. Patrick O'hara supposedly has a big leg, but I haven't really seen it. Has there been any indication that Jaz Reynolds is transferring? He seemed to come on and then screwed up to end up in the Stoop's doghouse. I haven't heard anything about him even considering a transfer. Also, I'm not sure how well he will compete for PT. There are some real studs waiting in the wings. I for one, am extremely excited about Trey Metoyer from this incoming class and Justin McCay from last years class. I think he redshirted; is that right?

SoonerTank
1/5/2011, 01:53 PM
I can't quote this from any source, but, my understanding is that you cannot have more than 105 total players during the football year. 85 on scholarship would leave 20 to walk on.

PalmBeachSooner
1/5/2011, 02:00 PM

That would suck. Seemed like he had a lot of potential. He a bigga boy.

Jello Biafra
1/5/2011, 02:51 PM
running back is another potential loss...

one claiming on FB he's not sure what he's going to do.

CowboyMRW
1/5/2011, 03:06 PM
I'm sorry Cowboy, but this upcoming season, nothing, not even five kicking scholarships on the fairweather fan cheatin' gooner team, can help your team out from becoming the team on the fall this year. You postponed it one season, but next year, you'd be lucky to have eight wins.

La Lafayette - W
Arizona - W
@ Tulsa - W
@ AnM - ?
Kansas - W
@Texas - W
@Mizzou - ?
Baylor - W
K State - W
@Tech - W
@Iowa State - W
OU - L

So with that schedule I see 9 W's and 2 or 3 tossups. Obviously with quite a few teams it depends on how the hiring process goes but we have a decent schedule.

Widescreen
1/5/2011, 03:20 PM
running back is another potential loss...

one claiming on FB he's not sure what he's going to do.

Who?

SpankyNek
1/5/2011, 03:36 PM
Who?

My guess would be Calhoun, but I do not know for sure.

Jello Biafra
1/5/2011, 03:57 PM
Who?

BC

SpankyNek
1/5/2011, 04:05 PM
BC

This would surprise me, as I thought we would see a lot of him and Finch in the backfield together with the departures of DeMarco and Madu.

Maybe Jonathan Miller is looking really good?

Jello Biafra
1/5/2011, 04:15 PM
This would surprise me, as I thought we would see a lot of him and Finch in the backfield together with the departures of DeMarco and Madu.

anybody seen him on campus? status update a few days ago had him at home and now hes deleted his facebook page.

Widescreen
1/5/2011, 04:29 PM
BC

Hmm. I hope not. I think he's got a good future as a Sooner.

Jello Biafra
1/5/2011, 04:35 PM
Hmm. I hope not. I think he's got a good future as a Sooner.

agreed.

badger
1/5/2011, 04:42 PM
La Lafayette - W
Arizona - W
@ Tulsa - W
@ AnM - ?
Kansas - W
@Texas - W
@Mizzou - ?
Baylor - W
K State - W
@Tech - W
@Iowa State - W
OU - L

So with that schedule I see 9 W's and 2 or 3 tossups. Obviously with quite a few teams it depends on how the hiring process goes but we have a decent schedule.

I like how you accurately write off the OU game as an automatic loss. Perhaps your version of higher education is a real education after all ;)

Now, let us... educate you further...

1- You are going to lose to Texas A&M. Their revenge might only be one year in the making, unlike their vengeance against us (in the making since RC's ouster year)

2- You are not going to win every game that you are supposed to. You are likely looking at a few upsets from Tech, possibly K-State, maybe even Tulsa. Yes, even Tulsa.

3- You are not going to do as well as you did this year. Regardless of who stays and goes, your 'team on the rise' thing ends now. Sorry.

CowboyMRW
1/5/2011, 04:48 PM
I like how you accurately write off the OU game as an automatic loss. Perhaps your version of higher education is a real education after all ;)

1- You are going to lose to Texas A&M. Their revenge might only be one year in the making, unlike their vengeance against us (in the making since RC's ouster year)

2- You are not going to win every game that you are supposed to. You are likely looking at a few upsets from Tech, possibly K-State, maybe even Tulsa. Yes, even Tulsa.

3- You are not going to do as well as you did this year. Regardless of who stays and goes, your 'team on the rise' thing ends now. Sorry.

There is a real good chance we lose to AnM but we've beaten them 3 straight and will only believe it when I see it.

We will win every game we are supposed to. In the past couple years that is something that Gundy has done really well, minus the Houston game. In the old days we would drop one but I think we are turning that around and we will continue the trend.

Another at least 10 win season looks like a real possibility

Jello Biafra
1/5/2011, 04:55 PM
There is a real good chance we lose to AnM but we've beaten them 3 straight and will only believe it when I see it.

We will win every game we are supposed to. In the past couple years that is something that Gundy has done really well, minus the Houston game. In the old days we would drop one but I think we are turning that around and we will continue the trend.

Another at least 10 win season looks like a real possibility

meh not sure....i see 1-3 with kansas coming to town.

oumartin
1/5/2011, 04:56 PM
I am curious about Clay now, He saw like zero snaps in the Fiesta bowl is seemed. He played really well early in the year too.

We all know Miller is a stud.

OU_Sooners75
1/5/2011, 04:58 PM
I can't quote this from any source, but, my understanding is that you cannot have more than 105 total players during the football year. 85 on scholarship would leave 20 to walk on.

Well that is pretty much dead on.

I cannot find anything about roster size for home and away games.

Here is the official rule (for the 2008/2009 season anyway). Keep in mind these are administration rules for the NCAA, not rules of the game.

17.11.2.1.2 Limit on Number of Participants—Bowl Subdivision. [FBS] I
In bowl subdivision football, there shall be a limit of 105 student-athletes who may engage in practice activities prior to the institution’s first day of classes or the institution’s first contest, whichever occurs earlier. (Adopted: 1/11/94, Revised: 12/15/06)

If anyone can find if there are any rules about traveling and such, please share the info.

With that said, I believe the traveling roster cannot be more than 56 players. At least that was what it was when I was playing.

Jello Biafra
1/5/2011, 05:01 PM
I am curious about Clay now, He saw like zero snaps in the Fiesta bowl is seemed. He played really well early in the year too.

he saw some time but not much

OU_Sooners75
1/5/2011, 05:05 PM
La Lafayette - W
Arizona - L
@ Tulsa - W
@ A&M - L
Kansas - W
@Texas - L
@Mizzou - W
Baylor - W
K State - L
@Tech - L
@Iowa State - W
OU - L

FIFY

I gave the Missouri game a win for the poke....Gabbert is leaving, and not sure what they have returning.

CowboyMRW
1/5/2011, 05:10 PM
Arizona is a W. It's at Stillwater and did you catch the Alamo. Don't let your love for Stoops cloud the judgement on that one.
Most likely right about AnM but I won't write it off yet as I think Sherman is one of the worst coaches in the Big 12
Texas- have no idea about since they have to hire like 5 coaches
K State- let's be real. They lost their entire offense with Coffman and Thomas leaving
Tech- they also lose way too much and we bucked the trend of the home team winning every game in that series

NormanPride
Tons of kids go through this stuff. Let the coaches handle it and we'll be fine. Way too much up in the air at the RB position for anyone to bail. Everyone has a shot at starting, considering Finch's injury-prone nature.

CowboyMRW
6-6 with who we have returning and that schedule would be the ultimate let down in the entire CFB

SpankyNek
1/5/2011, 05:12 PM
Arizona is a W. It's at Stillwater and did you catch the Alamo. Don't let your love for Stoops cloud the judgement on that one.
Most likely right about AnM but I won't write it off yet as I think Sherman is one of the worst coaches in the Big 12
Texas- have no idea about since they have to hire like 5 coaches
K State- let's be real. They lost their entire offense with Coffman and Thomas leaving
Tech- they also lose way too much and we bucked the trend of the home team winning every game in that series
They are getting the Guy that backed up Cam Newton at Blinn JC.

The guy is a HORSE!

PeqA-hZy7kc

OU_Sooners75
1/5/2011, 05:12 PM

Ever since Clay suffered that massive blow that caused a concussion, he has been seeing very little playing time. He has been on the special teams more and more.

Also, let's look at why he got playing time and why he lost it....

At the beginning of the season when he was seeing the field as the #2 or #3 RB, he was in Madu and Calhoun's spot. He did a good job IMHO, but then he suffered that concussion.

After he was cleared to start playing again, Roy Finch was healthy and aweing all of us into believing he is the second coming of Lil Joe Washington or Quentin Griffin.

Consequently, by the time Finch suffered his injury, Senior dependable RB Madu was healthy and returned to the game.

I would be very surprised if Clay transfer out. He will be sharing a lot of the PT with Finch next season. Along with Miller, if we go to a 3 back rotation.

CowboyMRW
1/5/2011, 05:13 PM
They are getting the Guy that backed up Cam Newton at Blinn JC.

The guy is a HORSE!

Even if they get him, who are they getting to shore up their defense. Their defense was even more of a weak-link than their offense.

Jello Biafra
1/5/2011, 05:15 PM
Tons of kids go through this stuff. Let the coaches handle it and we'll be fine. Way too much up in the air at the RB position for anyone to bail. Everyone has a shot at starting, considering Finch's injury-prone nature.

agreed. and thats exactly what i told one of my friends yesterday when i first read it...

something to the effect of finch has had 45-50 carries and has been hurt several times. until he can keep himself on the field, hes not a real threat to win/keep a starting role.

SpankyNek
1/5/2011, 05:18 PM
Even if they get him, who are they getting to shore up their defense. Their defense was even more of a weak-link than their offense.

This is true, but I don't necessarily remember the pokes keeping folks out of the endzone either.

OU_Sooners75
1/5/2011, 05:18 PM
6-6 with who we have returning and that schedule would be the ultimate let down in the entire CFB

Don't sit there and act like every year is a 10 win year for OSU.

They may win 10 next year....but their schedule is not as easy as you want to let on.

Kansas State will be a struggle for OSU. Missouri, Texas and A&M will be as well.

Looking at what OSU will be returning next season, You will be missing Hunter and Bowling.

Not to mention the fact that your defense will be decimated by graduation, losing 6 starters and 8 in your two deep.

Your offense should still be pretty strong. You will have all OLine back next season. But let's face it...OSU already has problems when facing a team with a decent offense, and replacing half your starters with a bunch of young kids will not help any next season.

I can see OSU 6-6...but I would realistically place them (at this time anyway) at 8-4.

texaspokieokie
1/5/2011, 05:19 PM

on a last years program, think there's more than 105.

stoopified
1/5/2011, 05:20 PM
Nothing new here,that has benn SOP for years.

OU_Sooners75
1/5/2011, 05:21 PM

What are the pokes going to do having to replace 6 starters on defense?

Kansas State, while they were pourous on defense, they only lose 4 starters from this years team.

Lets also not forget the fact that 2011 will be Snyder's 3rd year back, which will make a difference.

CowboyMRW
1/5/2011, 05:26 PM
What are the pokes going to do having to replace 6 starters on defense?

Kansas State, while they were pourous on defense, they only lose 4 starters from this years team.

Lets also not forget the fact that 2011 will be Snyder's 3rd year back, which will make a difference.

We'll be fine. Our recruiting has been good enough to stay way ahead of K State. Lemon and McGee were both all Big 12 on Defense so they will be hard to replace but we are deep and young at corner so if they get it together they could be a strength of this team. LB is also pretty deep but Lemon was a beast for us so hopefully someone will step up but I've got high hopes for them at LB.

As a whole I think our D should be much improved

oumartin
1/5/2011, 05:27 PM
I'm hoping the cowboys have a perfect record next year

o'fer

OU_Sooners75
1/5/2011, 05:40 PM
We'll be fine. Our recruiting has been good enough to stay way ahead of K State. Lemon and McGee were both all Big 12 on Defense so they will be hard to replace but we are deep and young at corner so if they get it together they could be a strength of this team. LB is also pretty deep but Lemon was a beast for us so hopefully someone will step up but I've got high hopes for them at LB.

As a whole I think our D should be much improved

So losing 6 starters improves your defense?

:eek:

If that was the case, then why did those 6 players start in the first place? is there a seniority factor at OSU?

I mean, the NCAA took away the rule about starting freshmen like 40 years ago....so I just cannot see how losing 6 starters on defense is an improvement.

You are correct when saying you are young at the corners...however, very little experience does not mean you are going to be better.

And as far as your comment about recruiting....Stars and Rankings mean very little when it comes to playing the game at this level. While you all are young, Snyder lives and thrives off of JUCO transfers and it has done him very good.

Now that he is back, we all will be witnessing that once again. Where his weak spots are, he fills with talented JUCO players. Even if they are first year starters at KSU, they have the experience and fundamentals to step in and do a decent job. Whereas a Freshman or a RS Freshman have not experienced the speed of college football.

CowboyMRW
1/5/2011, 05:48 PM
Losing 6 starters does not improve our defense. It's the year that they've had in the system and seen the speed of college ball that will improve it. We were very young this year and another year can only help them. Our defensive line is where it'll be felt the most imo but I think they can pull together and improve this offseason, get stronger and bigger. LB seems fine imo, even with the loss of Lemon i don't think there will be a huge dropoff.

For the past couple years we've gotten to the point where we could redshirt most kids and I think the depth has started to pay off

OU_Sooners75
1/5/2011, 06:04 PM
Losing 6 starters does not improve our defense. It's the year that they've had in the system and seen the speed of college ball that will improve it. We were very young this year and another year can only help them. Our defensive line is where it'll be felt the most imo but I think they can pull together and improve this offseason, get stronger and bigger. LB seems fine imo, even with the loss of Lemon i don't think there will be a huge dropoff.

For the past couple years we've gotten to the point where we could redshirt most kids and I think the depth has started to pay off

Started to pay off in what way?

Statiscally speaking OSU is pathetic on defense. You all allowed over 409 yards per game and over 26 points per game in 2010.

Have the youth seen the speed? Probably, but when they are in the game here and there, it does not mean they are experienced enough to gage if the defense will be improved.

We hear it year in and year out how great a team OSU will be in (insert year here) when it comes to their offense. We also hear about how much better their defense will be in (insert year here).

I don't know what to tell ya, other than it is all a bunch of bull****. Yeah, you have a good offense and defense, when it comes to playing against the Troy's and the schools for the blind...but when you all finally get to the conference play, you all seem to lose that edge and your stats seem to fall every week.

Congratulations on a fine season this year...but you all are going to very much miss that senior leadership from this year.

CowboyMRW
1/5/2011, 06:11 PM
Started to pay off in what way?

Statiscally speaking OSU is pathetic on defense. You all allowed over 409 yards per game and over 26 points per game in 2010.

Have the youth seen the speed? Probably, but when they are in the game here and there, it does not mean they are experienced enough to gage if the defense will be improved.

We hear it year in and year out how great a team OSU will be in (insert year here) when it comes to their offense. We also hear about how much better their defense will be in (insert year here).

I don't know what to tell ya, other than it is all a bunch of bull****. Yeah, you have a good offense and defense, when it comes to playing against the Troy's and the schools for the blind...but when you all finally get to the conference play, you all seem to lose that edge and your stats seem to fall every week.

Congratulations on a fine season this year...but you all are going to very much miss that senior leadership from this year.

We'll just agree to disagree. Which is fine, but I believe that our defense will be better than last year.

I mean how much worse could it get. Also, I don't think it was the talent as much as the calls. On 1st and 2nd down we were great. On 3rd and long when we would only rush 3 and drop 8 is when we gave up most of the yards and kept drives alive. I guarantee they talk about that in the offseason and if that gets fixed, it will be a major improvement

SoonerOX
1/5/2011, 08:37 PM
Who hijacked my thread? Haha! Boomer!

JRAM
1/5/2011, 09:58 PM
Soonerox, just where did you get the info that you are quoting Stoops as having stated?

85sooners
1/5/2011, 10:15 PM
Let's win games

Chiliman
1/5/2011, 10:43 PM

There can't be much of a drop off from Gent.

CowboyMRW
1/5/2011, 10:50 PM
There can't be much of a drop off from Gent.

I'm not going to bash him because he put in his time here and played his heart out for us. He wasn't always the best player out there but he gave his all every snap. Did he upset me sometimes, yes, but he tried.

That said, I'll be happy with some of the LB's we have behind him that redshirted

blaine4oh5
1/6/2011, 09:03 AM
All of the Cali freshman trio are back in sd right now. But i saw on clay's twitter a couple days ago he said something about going to ucla? I think it would be dumb for him to leave cause i also think he has a good future with us. Here is his twitter name @BSClay21

@TheMikeHodges bro I would be at UCLA with no problems ..
1:15 PM Jan 3rd via Twitter for iPhone in reply to TheMikeHodges
Reply Retweet

SC Sooner
1/6/2011, 09:10 AM

According to ehow:
According to the NCAA Rule Book, there is no official limit on total roster size. There is a limit on the number of scholarship players on a roster, but a team may have as many total players as they wish. Aside from scholarship players, teams have walk-on players.

texaspokieokie
1/6/2011, 09:11 AM
According to ehow:
According to the NCAA Rule Book, there is no official limit on total roster size. There is a limit on the number of scholarship players on a roster, but a team may have as many total players as they wish. Aside from scholarship players, teams have walk-on players.

well, i been wondering about that.

...sooner
1/6/2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the interesting discussion on my thread guys. I agree that a kicker or two should move on. However, I have no idea which ones. Jimmy seems to finally be reliable from 40 on in. Patrick O'hara supposedly has a big leg, but I haven't really seen it. Has there been any indication that Jaz Reynolds is transferring? He seemed to come on and then screwed up to end up in the Stoop's doghouse. I haven't heard anything about him even considering a transfer. Also, I'm not sure how well he will compete for PT. There are some real studs waiting in the wings. I for one, am extremely excited about Trey Metoyer from this incoming class and Justin McCay from last years class. I think he redshirted; is that right?

-not that i have seen/heard i have quite a bit of inside information when it comes to a few people & jaz just so happen to be one of them.. he hasnt seemed like it, but we all know he has alot of potential

My guess would be Calhoun, but I do not know for sure.

-this is probably going to happen

-i hope so. im a jonathon miller fan!

All of the Cali freshman trio are back in sd right now. But i saw on clay's twitter a couple days ago he said something about going to ucla? I think it would be dumb for him to leave cause i also think he has a good future with us. Here is his twitter name @BSClay21

Reply Retweet

-his GF got accept to UCLA grad school.

Widescreen
1/6/2011, 09:39 AM

Reply Retweet

Here's the way I interpret that.

Twitter person #1 tells him he should see if Gundy/Stoops will let him play baseball.
Clay responds that if he was at UCLA he would be (playing baseball), no problem

Lawton4Life
1/6/2011, 09:58 AM
They let Brandon Jones play baseball didnt they?

gaylordfan1
1/6/2011, 10:08 AM
So, am I missing something with B. Clay? Why would the kid want to leave OU? He is going to get serious snaps next year at RB on team with limitless possibilities. The only reason he would leave is because of some kind of personality conflict with the coaches.

...sooner
1/6/2011, 10:13 AM
So, am I missing something with B. Clay? Why would the kid want to leave OU? He is going to get serious snaps next year at RB on team with limitless possibilities. The only reason he would leave is because of some kind of personality conflict with the coaches.

just people taking assumptions from twitter & stuff & then someone stated something about UCLA & it just so happens his gf got accepted to grad school there. idk

SoonerNutt
1/6/2011, 10:17 AM
We'll just agree to disagree. Which is fine, but I believe that our defense will be better than last year.

I mean how much worse could it get. Also, I don't think it was the talent as much as the calls. On 1st and 2nd down we were great. On 3rd and long when we would only rush 3 and drop 8 is when we gave up most of the yards and kept drives alive. I guarantee they talk about that in the offseason and if that gets fixed, it will be a major improvement

It could get much worse. Check back next year when you have less wins and let us know if it was better or worse.

texaspokieokie
1/6/2011, 10:37 AM

Isn't this similar to what was being said about this time last year.
they lost a buncha starters, including robinson & dez.
no one thot breeden would be anywhere nearly as good as he turned out.

Howzit
1/6/2011, 11:55 AM
Speaking of kickers, especially Hunnicut, I heard something interesting the other day.

I was at my ex's attorney's office (it's final btw for anyone that's interested) and his kid is a Jr kicker at Colleyville here in the DFW area. His personal coach is some guy named Scott Blanton. ;)

Anyway, I made the comment that he should look at OU because they need a kicker. His response was, "no they don't."

I asked him what he meant and he started going on and on about Hunniocut (also from Colleyville), and how Blanton was also his coach. Said the kid wasn't getting any looks from colleges, despite his phenomenal leg. Blanton finally put him in the car, drove him up to Norman and told the coaching staff they really needed to look at the kid.

He left with the promise of a scholly.

Don't know how much of this is true and how much is embellished, but the guy raved about Hunnicut, not only from his kicking ability, but from his citizenship. Says he is just a wonderful kid and a wonderful person.

of course, this is from a ****ing attorney that I hate with the power of a thousand suns, so, yeah.

The end.

Widescreen
1/6/2011, 12:08 PM
Speaking of kickers, especially Hunnicut, I heard something interesting the other day.

I was at my ex's attorney's office (it's final btw for anyone that's interested) and his kid is a Jr kicker at Colleyville here in the DFW area. His personal coach is some guy named Scott Blanton. ;)

Anyway, I made the comment that he should look at OU because they need a kicker. His response was, "no they don't."

I asked him what he meant and he started going on and on about Hunniocut (also from Colleyville), and how Blanton was also his coach. Said the kid wasn't getting any looks from colleges, despite his phenomenal leg. Blanton finally put him in the car, drove him up to Norman and told the coaching staff they really needed to look at the kid.

Don't know how much of this is true and how much is embellished, but the guy raved about Hunnicut, not only from his kicking ability, but from his citizenship. Says he is just a wonderful kid and a wonderful person.

of course, this is from a ****ing attorney that I hate with the power of a thousand suns, so, yeah.

The end.
I hope that's true. Stevens was supposed to be all-world too and it's taken him a long time to get it going.

gaylordfan1
1/6/2011, 01:43 PM
I hope that's true. Stevens was supposed to be all-world too and it's taken him a long time to get it going.

But its going.....

PalmBeachSooner
1/6/2011, 01:56 PM
This is true, but I don't necessarily remember the pokes keeping folks out of the endzone either.

The horse from Blinn JC will be the defense. He's that good. :rolleyes:

OU_Sooners75
1/6/2011, 01:56 PM
According to ehow:

That is completely wrong. I just gave you the administration rule from the NCAA Rule Books...

A team can have upto 105 players on their roster before their first game or first day of classes, which ever is earlier.

CowboyMRW
1/6/2011, 02:00 PM
It could get much worse. Check back next year when you have less wins and let us know if it was better or worse.

If AnM can improve their defense from dead last in the country to a top 15 defense, why can't we take a top 75 defense and make it top 30. That's all I want since our offense can put up loads of points

CowboyMRW
1/6/2011, 02:01 PM
The horse from Blinn JC will be the defense. He's that good. :rolleyes:

Are you talking about the LB from there we got that's only played a couple years?

OU_Sooners75
If AnM can improve their defense from dead last in the country to a top 15 defense, why can't we take a top 75 defense and make it top 30. That's all I want since our offense can put up loads of points

They did it because they returned 9 starters...not 5, like OSU will be returning at best.

And for the record, A&M was 105th, not 120th in total defense in 2009...they were 105th in scoring defense as well, not 120th.

This year, they are 51st in total defense and 26th in scoring defense.

BTW...Texas was #6 in total defense and 49th in scoring defense...both are better than OSU this year....

How good was Texas this year? 5-7?

Soonerjeepman

The end.

same here CONGRATS..if that is in order....mine was...just finalized Dec 18th..ANYWAYS....that's good...about Hunnicutt..we need FEWER kickers that are better....

CowboyMRW
1/6/2011, 02:21 PM
They did it because they returned 9 starters...not 5, like OSU will be returning at best.

And for the record, A&M was 105th, not 120th in total defense in 2009...they were 105th in scoring defense as well, not 120th.

This year, they are 51st in total defense and 26th in scoring defense.

BTW...Texas was #6 in total defense and 49th in scoring defense...both are better than OSU this year....

How good was Texas this year? 5-7?

That's because unlike it used to be offense wins championships. All your defense has to do is pick their spots to be good.

We actually only lose 5. Lemon and McGee are the biggest and hardest to replace.

Gent, Chinasa, and Donaldson are big losses too but we have some good talent backing them up. For Lemon, we have some good guys but not at the level that he was on. I look at it like yall at LB this year without Box. The middle of the field was open a lot when Wort was in but he adjusted and got better with experience, so we're bound to have some growing pains early in the year but by the end they should be performing up to par.

Or we could have players pull a Blackmon, and come out of nowhere and dominate.

Speaking of Blackmon, with each day that passes, I grow more and more confident in him coming back

badger
1/6/2011, 02:36 PM
That's because unlike it used to be offense wins championships. All your defense has to do is pick their spots to be good.

:rolleyes: offense wins championships, defense wins championships - just fill in the blank based off of what team just won a championship and what their strength is.

In the case of the Big 12, our defense won the championship... or the fact that Nebby's offense kept give us the ball back. Oh, so sorry Sooners, we appear to have the ball in our possession, let us correct that right away :D

So... does that go down as the (OU) defense winning the championship, or the (Nebrasky) offensing winning it for OU?

OU_Sooners75
1/6/2011, 02:50 PM

We actually only lose 5. Lemon and McGee are the biggest and hardest to replace.

Gent, Chinasa, and Donaldson are big losses too but we have some good talent backing them up. For Lemon, we have some good guys but not at the level that he was on. I look at it like yall at LB this year without Box. The middle of the field was open a lot when Wort was in but he adjusted and got better with experience, so we're bound to have some growing pains early in the year but by the end they should be performing up to par.

Or we could have players pull a Blackmon, and come out of nowhere and dominate.

Speaking of Blackmon, with each day that passes, I grow more and more confident in him coming back

You really think Offense wins championships?

Really?

Well, good luck with that outlook on this sport, even in today's age.

If your team cannot make a timely stop, then how are you going to win big games?

Honestly...how in the hell is OSU going to do any better than #2 to Oklahoma or #3 to OU and Texas if they cannot find a defense that can stop the offenses OU and Texas seems to have every year (sans 2010 for Texas).

Face it, until OSU finds a way to stop hihg powered offenses, then they
will be nothing more than a traditional Colorado.

badger
1/6/2011, 02:56 PM
The Poke game this year was essentially a Big 12 South title game... and if the Poke offense can score 41 and not win... then again, 47 points won :D

CowboyMRW
1/6/2011, 02:56 PM
You really think Offense wins championships?

Really?

Well, good luck with that outlook on this sport, even in today's age.

If your team cannot make a timely stop, then how are you going to win big games?

Honestly...how in the hell is OSU going to do any better than #2 to Oklahoma or #3 to OU and Texas if they cannot find a defense that can stop the offenses OU and Texas seems to have every year (sans 2010 for Texas).

Face it, until OSU finds a way to stop hihg powered offenses, then they
will be nothing more than a traditional Colorado.

Well in my defense I said pick their spots to be good.
CFB is evolving more and more to be like the NFL. In the NFL offense wins championships. Ask any NFL coach and they will always take the #1 offense and a mediocre defense rather than the #1 defense and a mediocre offense

OU_Sooners75
1/7/2011, 04:03 PM
Well in my defense I said pick their spots to be good.
CFB is evolving more and more to be like the NFL. In the NFL offense wins championships. Ask any NFL coach and they will always take the #1 offense and a mediocre defense rather than the #1 defense and a mediocre offense

Wrong...go back and search the past Super Bowl Champions...they may have had good offenses...but the winners did not win the Super bowl in high scoring shootouts.

All of them had damn good defenses that altered or completely shut down the opposing teams.

For example: since Super Bowl XXXIV in 2000 the winning team has held the loser to an average of just 17.45 points per game. The winner averaged just 27.82 points per game.

Hardly anything in those stats can back your opinion up.