PDA

View Full Version : Rich Rod Out at Michigan

Sabanball
1/4/2011, 02:48 PM
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/sports/rich-rodriguez-fired-as-michigans-head-football-coach

Since Harbaugh has basically taken his name out of the hat, you have to wonder if they will go after the luckiest man alive again, Les Miles.

soonerchk
1/4/2011, 02:49 PM
My sources said a week ago that Lester would go to Michigan as soon as his bowl was over.

I just didn't want to brag.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/4/2011, 02:50 PM
Thats probably a good guess..I didnt see that Harbaugh took himself out of anything

sooneron
1/4/2011, 02:50 PM
What took'em so long?

Chizik to meatchicken. You heard it here first. :D

Bourbon St Sooner
1/4/2011, 02:51 PM
Michigan's kicker better learn how to run.

sooneron
1/4/2011, 02:51 PM
Actually, has anyone seen Kiffin in the past 12 hours? :D

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2011, 02:53 PM
Rich Rod's approach was just a bad fit for Michigan from the get go.

Sabanball
1/4/2011, 02:57 PM
Rich Rod's approach was just a bad fit for Michigan from the get go.

I agree. I still think the guy's a pretty dang good football coach--he just found out it's a different world once you get outside the appalachian mountains and coal mines of West Virginia.

Don't be surprised if he ends up at Pitt--he definitely knows the territory.

sooneron
1/4/2011, 03:00 PM
I think Edsall should have waited 24 hours. Afterall, it was a class move of him to keep the whole Jaz thing going for a year plus to get his team some motivation, only to move on in the dead of night ala Baltimore Colts...

badger
1/4/2011, 03:04 PM
My head about darn near exploded trying to figure out why Rich Rod would leave West Virginia in the first place - good players, good foundation built there, no foreseeable issues with the athletic department, player exodus or NCAA sanctions... the fact that it was his home state and he was a fabled hometown hero...

Does anyone know why he left WVU in the first place? Was it just the almighty dollar?

MyT Oklahoma
1/4/2011, 03:10 PM
^^ My money says it was for the money.

Aldebaran
1/4/2011, 03:10 PM
Does anyone know why he left WVU in the first place? Was it just the almighty dollar?

If someone could also tell us why Brett Favre sent pictures of his junk to women who clearly didn't want it, and whether he uses Nair... that would be useful.

:texan:

Sabanball
1/4/2011, 03:12 PM
My head about darn near exploded trying to figure out why Rich Rod would leave West Virginia in the first place - good players, good foundation built there, no foreseeable issues with the athletic department, player exodus or NCAA sanctions... the fact that it was his home state and he was a fabled hometown hero...

Basically, I'd say yes--and from what I hear because of his wife Rita.

The yr before he took the Michigan job, we almost hired him at Bama. We offered him and he accepted then he basically used the job offer as leverage to get a big raise for him and his staff and promises of facility improvements from WV. A year later, he left them basically in middle of the night and also reportedly took recruiting files and other property of the university with him--it got rather ugly, as I recall and lawsuits were filed.
While I think the guy is still a pretty good ball coach, I do think he's lacking quite a bit on ethics and character.

oumartin
1/4/2011, 03:12 PM
Stoops to Michigan!

oumartin
1/4/2011, 03:14 PM
While I think the guy is still a pretty good ball coach, I do think he's lacking quite a bit on ethics and character.

Hey, this thread is about Rich Rod not Saban! ;)

BoomerSooner, esq.
1/4/2011, 03:15 PM
When did Harbaugh take his name out of the hat for Michigan?

85sooners
1/4/2011, 03:20 PM
Heuple to michigan

tfoolry
1/4/2011, 03:23 PM
Rich Rod out the day after Stanford concludes their season? I don't believe Harbaugh has turned down anything.

bluedogok
1/4/2011, 03:23 PM
Actually, has anyone seen Kiffin in the past 12 hours? :D
I don't think even Michigan is that dumb.....

Bourbon St Sooner
1/4/2011, 03:32 PM

Which would make him perfect for the SEC. Has Mark Richt been fired yet?

Sabanball
1/4/2011, 03:39 PM
Rich Rod out the day after Stanford concludes their season? I don't believe Harbaugh has turned down anything.

He's definitely the hot coach right now, and it will be interesting to see how long he lets the speculation and high stakes poker game go on between him and his alma mater, but most think he will either stay at Stanford or go to the NFL. Of course, stranger things have happened before. Michigan is a depopulating state with a horrible economy, and on top of that I think their program has lost some of its luster. However, they have one of the largest if not the largest alumni bases in the country and therefore would certainly have the money to land a big time coach. $$ will not be an issue.

Sabanball
1/4/2011, 03:41 PM
Hey, this thread is about Rich Rod not Saban! ;)

Yup...we know Stoops would not hang in Tuscaloosa twice last season with a HC thats lacking in character, don't we?;)

badger
1/4/2011, 03:42 PM
My head was still feeling explode-ish, so I checked a file story on ESPN from when Meatchicken hired him. Apparently there was an ongoing dispute between Roddy and the athletic director that caused Rod to want to leave.

The money was not explicitly mentioned, but Roddy did have a $4 million buyout, of which I heard Mich paid most of it ($2.5 mil I think?), so perhaps it wasn't the money at all, but just getting the eff away from a pushy admin/boss?

I think our athletic director is good at understanding his place at OU --- he doesn't try to micro-manage programs and makes things happen that make the coaches jobs easy. I wonder if WVU's AD realized that Rich Roddy was the hometown savior hero, not him, that Roddy brought WVU football back to prominence, not him, and that nobody outside the state even knew the AD's name.

badger
1/4/2011, 03:43 PM
Yup...we know Stoops would not hang in Tuscaloosa twice last season with a HC thats lacking in character, don't we?;)

Stoops' Sooners: 2
Bammer: 0

Home and home smack talk till we schedule another one, Satanball. ;)

Sabanball
1/4/2011, 03:47 PM
According to ESPN talking heads and other sources, Brady Hoke of SD St is being given serious consideration. He evidently has connections to the program.

http://blog.mlive.com/ottoman-empire/2011/01/do_not_fret_if_brady_hoke_becomes_the_next_michiga n_football_coach_instead_of_jim_harbaugh.html

SGA
1/4/2011, 03:47 PM
Harbough and Luck are both headed to Denver, so take his name out of the hat. No way Elway lets those two get away. Ain't happening. His offense is NFL-ready and so is Luck.

tfoolry
1/4/2011, 03:48 PM
I think they'll get Harbaugh. He doesn't have to fill the shoes of Bo so less pressure. Hey, they filled the big house up for an outdoor hockey game.

Sabanball
1/4/2011, 03:50 PM
My head was still feeling explode-ish, so I checked a file story on ESPN from when Meatchicken hired him. Apparently there was an ongoing dispute between Roddy and the athletic director that caused Rod to want to leave.

The money was not explicitly mentioned, but Roddy did have a $4 million buyout, of which I heard Mich paid most of it ($2.5 mil I think?), so perhaps it wasn't the money at all, but just getting the eff away from a pushy admin/boss?

I think our athletic director is good at understanding his place at OU --- he doesn't try to micro-manage programs and makes things happen that make the coaches jobs easy. I wonder if WVU's AD realized that Rich Roddy was the hometown savior hero, not him, that Roddy brought WVU football back to prominence, not him, and that nobody outside the state even knew the AD's name.

The buyout went from $4 mil on Dec 31, 2010, to $2.5 mil on Jan. 1, 2011. Timing had EVERYTHING to do with this announcement and decision.

sperry
1/4/2011, 03:52 PM
Harbough and Luck are both headed to Denver, so take his name out of the hat. No way Elway lets those two get away. Ain't happening. His offense is NFL-ready and so is Luck.

On a related note, apparently Elway is a huge drunk now. My buddy told me there was an article a few months ago talking about how Elway got kicked out of his own restaurant for being a drunken idiot.

Also, Denver isn't getting Luck. THe Panthers are gonna take him with the 1st pick. Tebow also looked pretty decent at the end of the year, so I think they will probably stick with him at least for a while.

fadada1
1/4/2011, 03:54 PM
Stoops to Michigan!

my sources confirm.

SGA
1/4/2011, 03:59 PM
On a related note, apparently Elway is a huge drunk now. My buddy told me there was an article a few months ago talking about how Elway got kicked out of his own restaurant for being a drunken idiot.

Also, Denver isn't getting Luck. THe Panthers are gonna take him with the 1st pick. Tebow also looked pretty decent at the end of the year, so I think they will probably stick with him at least for a while.

He is a huge drunk. His restauran owns, though.

I'm sorry, but you don't pass up an opportunity to take a kid like Luck because you have Tebow. Tebow isn't the answer. Luck can run almost as well as Tebow, but you know what, he can throw! How about that! WOW! What a concept!

The Donkeys will be looking for a way to trade up and get Luck. Count it.

CBUS_SOONER
1/4/2011, 04:20 PM
I said last month that if it isn't Harbaugh it will be Hoke. My source is the VP of the University. No Sh!t

CBUS_SOONER
1/4/2011, 04:21 PM
Miles buy out is too big and unless they can land a huge name like Gruden or Stoops;) it will be Hoke. Hoke actually has turned down other jobs waiting for this day to come.

Sabanball
1/4/2011, 04:28 PM
Hoke is a Michigan man and frankly that's what they need moreso than just a good coach--someone that understands the lay of the land there and Michigan people, more specifically, their alumni base many of which reside in NYC and the upper east side of Manhattan. They basically think they are an oversized ivy league school and they have a huge superiority complex because they are the winningest program in college football history, never mind championships.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/4/2011, 04:33 PM

Boo Blake ???

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2011, 04:43 PM

How do you get thrown out of your own restaurant?

cjames317
1/4/2011, 04:53 PM
With all these coaching meltdowns, including fanbase freakouts over their "prettiest girl at the dance" coaches, does everyone appreciate how good we've had it and how good we've got it?

At shaggy, there's an MS Paint thread about Stoops recommending Muschump to Jeremy Foley. It would be so epic if Stoops actually did that. That would crank the hate up to 11.

virginiasooner
1/4/2011, 05:00 PM
According to ESPN talking heads and other sources, Brady Hoke of SD St is being given serious consideration. He evidently has connections to the program.

If Brady Hoke leaves South Dakota State, maybe they'll hire Mike Leach.

texaspokieokie
1/4/2011, 05:10 PM

if i owned a restaurant, the 1st rule would be that there would be no throwing out of me !!

Jacie
1/4/2011, 06:12 PM

You are kidding, right? I mean, you know that it was West Virginia he left. And he went to one of the temples of college football, the Big House, Big Blue, the winningest D-1 program. That he went 15-22 in three seasons is why the speculation that he's out, lest he cause them to lose that winningest title. The let go of Lloyd Carr when his record was a whole lot better than Roddie's.

The questions to be answered are who gets the nod to be the next UM coach and where does Richie land?

Don't laugh but if Harbaugh gets the job, RR could be asked to be the next coach at Stanford. They would appreciate his offense there, I think.

Penguin
1/4/2011, 06:20 PM

Maybe a customer called the police?

bigfatjerk
1/4/2011, 06:20 PM
I think they will go for Harbaugh or Les Miles first. Don't think they will get either.

badger
1/4/2011, 06:21 PM
You are kidding, right? I mean, you know that it was West Virginia he left. And he went to one of the temples of college football, the Big House, Big Blue, the winningest D-1 program.

Not joking at all. You make it sound like anyone would take that job, but allegedly, Rich Roddy was not the first choice and that both Les Miles and Greg Schiano (Rutgers) reportedly turned it down first.

On top of that, he had a good thing going at West Virginia, which I already mentioned was his home state where he was a local hero, and going to one of the temples in college football, the Big House, etc etc, means there's tons of pressure for early success.

Finally, the way Mich dumped Lloyd Carr after all he did for them should have been the first clue that this was not a job to be considered lightly.

So yeah, no kidding. Head's a splode, etc etc

SunnySooner
1/4/2011, 07:23 PM
Heh, we went to the Gator Bowl, guess I got to witness RR's grand finale. A mudholing by Mississippi State. Way to go out in a blaze of glory, Richie.

I can say that the Michigan fans that were sitting near us are probably still doing cartwheels around their neighborhoods about now.

soonerchk
1/4/2011, 07:24 PM
Michigan says he still works there. Why do I find that pretty close to impossible to believe?

Sooner_Tuf
1/4/2011, 07:32 PM
Rod and West Virginia had a similar relationship to Mike Leach and Texas Tech. They weren't happy about having to pay so much and he claimed they agreed to a bunch of facility improvements that never happened.

I don't like Rich Rod much but the way West Virginia has treated Bill Stewart makes you wonder how well they really treated Rod.

BoomerSooner, esq.
1/4/2011, 07:33 PM
Apparently Richie and the AD are meeting again tomorrow. Ive got money that says there is a lot of crying in that room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i3jZ0fk9iU&feature=related

Sabanball
1/4/2011, 07:37 PM
How about this as a possibility--

Les Miles to Michigan, Dan Mullen to LSU, and Gus Malzahn to Mississippi St.

waynepayne
1/4/2011, 07:57 PM
Rod and West Virginia had a similar relationship to Mike Leach and Texas Tech. They weren't happy about having to pay so much and he claimed they agreed to a bunch of facility improvements that never happened.

I don't like Rich Rod much but the way West Virginia has treated Bill Stewart makes you wonder how well they really treated Rod.

Wasnt this two different AD's?

TXBOOMER
1/4/2011, 08:59 PM

When did Elway buy the Broncos?

CowboyMRW
1/4/2011, 09:03 PM
Also, ESPN just reported that Rich Rod is still in.

Haven't read the entire thread so if previously mentioned then disregard

CowboyMRW
1/4/2011, 09:04 PM

Isn't Elway the front office manager now.

bigfatjerk
1/4/2011, 09:46 PM
Also, ESPN just reported that Rich Rod is still in.

They haven't said he's in really. They just basically said he's not out yet.

CowboyMRW
1/4/2011, 09:47 PM
fair enough

King Barry's Back
1/4/2011, 09:48 PM
^^ My money says it was for the money.

And a darn good reason, that is.

Sabanball
1/4/2011, 09:54 PM
Maybe they are waiting to hear from Harbaugh or Miles, I don't know. I still think Rich Rod is toast--the powerful alumni and fan base have all wanted him gone for a long time.

King Barry's Back
1/4/2011, 09:55 PM

Badj -- You are absolutely right. A great AD generates big revenues and uses that money to facilitate his coaches' plans for their teams. He/she certainly has to be steward of the Dept's funds, and must reign in egos, but they should see themselves as more "behind the scenes" actors who can become giants but do so quietly.

In fact, I'd argue that Mike Leach is not HC at Tech right now because the AD didn't like being seen as second fiddle there. The contract dispute in 2008 became personal.

That's not the way to be running a program. On the other, it'd be nice for Mike if he still was coaching somewhere.

bluedogok
1/4/2011, 09:58 PM

Isn't Elway the front office manager now.
Elway is supposed to be named the Denver Broncos Vice President of Football Operations tomorrow and is the point man in the coaching search. He ran the Denver Crush AFL team that he co-owned with Bowlen and won a title with them.

CowboyMRW
1/4/2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks blue for clearing that up

Penguin
1/4/2011, 10:15 PM
Elway is a co-owner of the Michigan Wolverines. Got it.

Okie35
1/4/2011, 10:35 PM

Peter King said its likely Harbaugh is headed to the 49ers. Word is the announcement will be Wed/Thurs. I believe King because earlier he said Trent Baalke will be the GM at San Fran. NFL network just announced it 20 min. ago that Baalke is now the GM.

soonerbub
1/4/2011, 10:48 PM
ESPN looks like a bunch a tards on this--all afternoon "breaking news" horse****.

Not as bad as the high five tho

Sooner_Tuf
1/4/2011, 11:52 PM
Wasnt this two different AD's?

That's right they hired Andrew Luck's dad last summer. I think Oliver Luck was president of their board of regents prior to becoming AD.

ouflak
1/5/2011, 05:12 AM
The OP link isn't working. Was there a retraction or something?

soonergirlNeugene
1/5/2011, 05:32 AM
Sort of. Michigan says that the athletic director has not officially made a decision yet.
Speculation of course is that they are waiting to hear what Harbaugh wants to do before deciding to get rid of RichRod.

Link to article in sports illustrated (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/01/04/michigan.rich.rodriguez.ap/index.html)

badger
1/5/2011, 10:04 AM
The OP link isn't working. Was there a retraction or something?

Probably. There were a few Rich stories that disappeared off the internets after Meatchicken came out and said "he's not dead yet!"

bigfatjerk
1/5/2011, 11:13 AM
Now Rich Rod is out per ESPN

OUmillenium
1/5/2011, 11:17 AM
If Brady Hoke leaves South Dakota State, maybe they'll hire Mike Leach.

Leach will be the OC at lOSUr if Weedn and Blackmon stay.

Aldebaran
1/5/2011, 11:21 AM
Watching Nebraska and now Michigan go through the fire like we did in the 90's reminds me to value what we have going.

soonerchk
1/5/2011, 11:23 AM
I hope they keep him.

Sooner11JK
1/5/2011, 11:24 AM

Sooner11JK
Watching Nebraska and now Michigan go through the fire like we did in the 90's reminds me to value what we have going.

+awholebunch

badger
Now Rich Rod is out per ESPN

I would LOL if Meatchicken tried to backtrack the rumors/reports just to give ESPN the exclusivity to announce the officialness of blah blah blah

Sabanball
1/5/2011, 11:35 AM
Rich Rod HAS been fired, and this time it is for real.

http://college-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/26862392

stoopified
1/5/2011, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=sooneron;3107569]What took'em so long?

QUOTE]my EXACT thoughts

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2011, 12:46 PM
I suspect those meetings had more to do with contract buyout issues than if Rich Rod was out.

The
1/5/2011, 12:47 PM
Leach to Michigan.

soonerchk
1/5/2011, 12:51 PM
Rich Rod HAS been fired, and this time it is for real.

http://college-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/26862392

BOO HISS!!!

He was the best thing to happen to Ohio State football in years!!!

ouduckhunter
1/5/2011, 04:06 PM
I hear hysterical laughter coming from the state of West Virginia! Karma can be such an ugly biatch! :D

Scott D
1/5/2011, 04:11 PM
BOO HISS!!!

He was the best thing to happen to Ohio State football in years!!!

that and recruiting money hungry tattoo addicts and illiterate running backs who double as petty criminals...you know, athletic versions of their fanbase ;)

soonerchk
1/5/2011, 04:12 PM
that and recruiting money hungry tattoo addicts and illiterate running backs who double as petty criminals...you know, athletic versions of their fanbase ;)

I are part of their fanbase, and I are not illiterate.

Scott D
1/5/2011, 04:15 PM
Harbaugh isn't a leading candidate, and yes he likely did take himself out of the running hence Dave Brandon's comment that Harbaugh would likely only leave Stanford for the NFL (5 potential NFL offers including both Bay Area teams). As of right now (officially nobody has been contacted) the two leading candidates are Brady Hoke and Leslie Miles. People talk about Miles' buyout, but it's a lower buyout if it's Michigan that comes calling. Other than that, expect Michigan to look for a coach who coaches solid fundamental football that relies on physical defense and physical offensive line play.

Basically, the guy they need the most to coach the kind of football they want will likely be an NFL coach next year, or he'll be coaching the Stanford Cardinal yet again. That being said, barring someone having a stellar interview process and being at the right price I'd definitely say that Brady Hoke is the frontrunner by far.

Scott D
1/5/2011, 04:15 PM
I are part of their fanbase, and I are not illiterate.

not going to ask you about your tattoo addiction then :D

CowboyMRW
1/5/2011, 04:35 PM
It's official

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5991296

soonerchk
1/5/2011, 04:39 PM
not going to ask you about your tattoo addiction then :D

Not to mention my criminal record.:gary:

oumartin
1/5/2011, 04:55 PM
If Les goes to Michigan I will start rooting for them.