PDA

View Full Version : Huck Finn

Spring
1/4/2011, 02:32 PM
Why are the pc police going back and changing words?

olevetonahill
1/4/2011, 02:35 PM
Yer not Paranoid They really are out to get you :eek:

STUpendOUs
1/4/2011, 02:36 PM
Obama made them do it.... because his christian name would of been Jim...

3rdgensooner
1/4/2011, 02:43 PM
Why are the pc police going back and changing words?What are you talking about?

Veritas
1/4/2011, 04:12 PM
What are you talking about?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=huck+finn

Midtowner
1/4/2011, 04:14 PM
It's unfortunate. What other books have merited such updating?

The
1/4/2011, 04:16 PM
It's unfortunate. What other books have merited such updating?

The Bible.

Tony
1/4/2011, 04:19 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=huck+finn

Good grief. That is ridiculous. Puritans run amuck.

saucysoonergal
1/4/2011, 04:24 PM
Mr. Bugeater, that was a hateful link. ;)

SpankyNek
1/4/2011, 04:28 PM
Huck Finn Gets Some Changes
By Mike Krumboltz – 47 mins ago

Acclaimed by critics, scholars, and -- of course -- readers, Mark Twain's "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" is one of the great American novels. The book has been reprinted countless times, adapted into movies, and translated into just about every language under the sun. But should it be updated for today's times?

News that the manuscript would undergo some changes sent shockwaves through the Search box. According to Publishers Weekly, NewSouth Books plans to release a version of "Huck Finn" that cuts the "n" word and replaces it with "slave." The slur "injun," referring to Native Americans, will also be replaced.

It's important to note that in using the words, Twain was critiquing racism, not endorsing it. Also important: These changes affect just one version of the classic novel, and won't apply to all the printings. Regardless, public response has been swift. Almost immediately, Web searches on "huck finn censored" and "huckleberry finn changes" spiked into breakout status.

The reponse on Twitter has been equally thunderous. Many of the comments appear to be against the changes. One person sarcastically writes, "I love when people erase racism and pretend it never happened." Still, not everyone is outraged. One respondent writes that it is "awkward being the only black kid in class and having to read it." Another points out that the original is in the public domain and still available to anyone who wants to read it.

A popular column for Entertainment Weekly asks whether this is all such a bad thing. Is it so different, the column asks, from editing "The Godfather" so it can be shown on network television? With this new version of "Huck Finn," more people, including young readers, will be able to enjoy it. Does that make the changes worth it?

We don't know the answer, but it's a question worth thinking about. Either way, the novel will survive the controversy. "Huck Finn" was first published in 1884, and it was just a year later when people began to wonder if the book should be banned. The more things change...

Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_newsroom/20110104/en_yblog_newsroom/huck-finn-gets-some-changes)

I think we should paint some naked boobs on the Mona Lisa while we are at it.

Eielson
1/4/2011, 04:35 PM
If they were to remove "the 'n' word" from the book, it would lose a lot of it's meaning.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/4/2011, 04:58 PM
The pc police have already been quite successful in keeping Disney's Song of the South from ever being released, and the cries of racism against Arabs had the movie Aladin altered:

Original lyrics:

Oh, I come from a land
From a faraway place
Where the caravan camels roam.
Where they cut off your ear
If they don't like your face
It's barbaric, but hey, it's home.

PC lyrics:

Oh, I come from a land
From a faraway place
Where it's flat and immense
And the heat is intense,

I hear the camels are pissed that they are being portrayed stereotypically as beasts of burden only to be found in caravans.

Freedom isn't free, as veterans will attest. It comes with a very steep price.

Then again, perhaps a price can't even legitimately be placed on it, because apparently it doesn't really even exist anymore.

Thaumaturge
1/4/2011, 04:59 PM
The Elijah Wood Huck Finn is the only true Huck Finn.

DIB
1/4/2011, 05:03 PM
The pc police have already been quite successful in keeping Disney's Song of the South from ever being released, and the cries of racism against Arabs had the movie Aladin altered:

Original lyrics:

Oh, I come from a land
From a faraway place
Where they cut off your ear
If they don't like your face

PC lyrics:

Oh, I come from a land
From a faraway place
Where it's flat and immense
And the heat is intense,

I hear the camels are pissed that they are being portrayed stereotypically as beasts of burden only to be found in caravans.

Freedom isn't free, as veterans will attest. It comes with a very steep price.

Then again, perhaps a price can't even legitimately be placed on it, because apparently it doesn't really even exist anymore.

When did the change the song? I have an old VHS copy and it has the original song

SpankyNek
1/4/2011, 05:03 PM
If they actually go forward with releasing copies in this manner, they should be forced to refer to it as a translation. It is not the original book.

At least the guys that wrote the screenplay for "Aladdin" were still alive to give the OK.

Twain has no opportunity to defend his position.

Thaumaturge
1/4/2011, 05:06 PM
When did the change the song? I have an old VHS copy and it has the original song

You belong in a museum, grandma.

Veritas
1/4/2011, 05:09 PM
If they actually go forward with releasing copies in this manner, they should be forced to refer to it as a translation. It is not the original book.

At least the guys that wrote the screenplay for "Aladdin" were still alive to give the OK.
I think Arabs are right to take issue with the Alladin lyric, but I think that Disney misinterpreted what the turban cowboys were asking for. What they wanted is as follows:

Oh, I come from a land
From a faraway place
Where they cut off your head
If they don't like your race

soonerboy_odanorth
1/4/2011, 05:28 PM

I have the original CD I bought to put on in the car when my boys were little (better that than Barney or some such crud) with the original lyrics. But the VHS version I bought actually around the same time has the "pc" edit. I think the changes all happened within a couple years of the original release way back yonder in 1992. Busy lil' beavers, those pc police.

My Opinion Matters
1/4/2011, 05:29 PM
If they were to remove "the 'n' word" from the book, it would lose a lot of it's meaning.

What "n" word?

http://i55.tinypic.com/hx6ihc.jpg

texaspokieokie
1/4/2011, 05:36 PM
this pc stuff would have hitler grinnen.

olevetonahill
1/4/2011, 05:48 PM
Wonder how they will Edit this one ?
http://www.conservapedia.com/images/e/e4/Lbs.jpg

kansascitysooner
1/4/2011, 05:59 PM
I remeber that there used to be a pancake restaurant named Sambo's. It was a great place and I learned that story there.

olevetonahill
1/4/2011, 06:07 PM
I remeber that there used to be a pancake restaurant named Sambo's. It was a great place and I learned that story there.

Here ya go, I think they tried to clean up their image here tho
http://www.tommcmahon.net/images/sambosfull2.jpg

badger
1/4/2011, 06:12 PM
I think a little bit of it has to do with sales at this point - if schools will read it only if that word is omitted, then yeah, the publishing company will do whatever its customers want.

Anyone ever see Agatha Christie's "And then there were none" performed? When I did, the poem was "10 Little Foxes." Apparently, the original poem does not have foxes.

texaspokieokie
1/5/2011, 10:14 AM
has to be a total re-print. "african-american" won't fit.

Mississippi Sooner
1/5/2011, 10:22 AM
I think a little bit of it has to do with sales at this point - if schools will read it only if that word is omitted, then yeah, the publishing company will do whatever its customers want.

Anyone ever see Agatha Christie's "And then there were none" performed? When I did, the poem was "10 Little Foxes." Apparently, the original poem does not have foxes.

Yep, and the 1945 version of the movie has the line changed to "10 Little Indians," though the British release of the movie still has that "original" word in the title.

KABOOKIE
1/5/2011, 10:28 AM
I'm highly offended the news report says, "injun." They should have said i-word.

Aldebaran
1/5/2011, 10:34 AM
Sue em'.

Mississippi Sooner
1/5/2011, 10:36 AM
This would be a good time to sue Mark Twain. He has to be making a fortune from that new autobiography.

Half a Hundred
1/5/2011, 02:54 PM
Apparently, it's mostly been banned in the Deep South because of the word(s). Makes you wonder if that's really why they've banned it.

Aldebaran
1/5/2011, 02:57 PM
That's totally the reason.

SC Sooner
1/5/2011, 04:59 PM
Actually, many of the classics are being "revised" now.

SouthFortySooner
1/5/2011, 05:08 PM
Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_newsroom/20110104/en_yblog_newsroom/huck-finn-gets-some-changes)

I think we should paint some naked boobs on the Mona Lisa while we are at it.

Yes, and have the Loovree put some clothes on the, 'Venus de Milo'.

Aldebaran
1/5/2011, 05:37 PM
Mmmmm Sweet Venus...

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs323.snc4/41575_277851730770_3156958_n.jpg

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/5/2011, 08:41 PM
Hitler also removed naggers

AlbqSooner
1/5/2011, 08:42 PM
Revised and or banned for the same reason they revised/banned Joel Chandler Harris' Uncle Remus Tales.

OUstud
1/5/2011, 09:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuLrBLxbLxw (quite NSFW, the whole thing's funny but the relevant part starts around 2:05)

rekamrettuB
1/6/2011, 06:02 PM
Well next I guess they will start renaming NWA on all of their releases.

OUmillenium
1/7/2011, 12:07 PM
Why would you need to rename the National Wrestling Alliance?

delhalew
1/7/2011, 12:51 PM
Instead of heeding the lessons of history, pretend they never happened...ok, got it. That should work out well.