PDA

View Full Version : Has OU had good luck or bad luck the last five years?

BigTip
1/4/2011, 01:23 PM
Compared to other teams, what would you say?
Horseshoe up our butt, or snake bit?

My vote is snake bit for sure. Ever since the two screwed, I mean reviewed, calls that went against us at Tech in 2005, it seems that we are snake bit. Every time there is a play reviewed, I just know it's going to go against us. The Oregon game in 2006 just burnt that thought into my head forever.

The bad luck is not just bad calls but also injuries. Sure every team suffers injuries. You are suppose to be good enough to overcome them. But the timing of ours, and to the key players, just seems like we can't get a break.

The bad luck culminated in the "plagues and curses" of 2009 (a quote from Berry Tramel) where a measly 15 more points would have won us four more games. Wouldn't have put us in the NC game, but still...

We've had success anyway of course. I'm just reflecting on what might have been. Maybe the tide has turned. The machine is loaded. I'm hoping there aren't any more gremlins in it.

bmjlr
1/4/2011, 01:28 PM
I don't know either way on the past, but I am very excited about the future!

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2011, 01:45 PM
I think OU has been a bit unlucky the past 5 years, but not by a huge amount. It takes a strong program and a good team to compete at the top level year in and year out, but it takes luck to win it all. There is only one team that wins it all each year, but usually 5-6 (let's say 5) teams that were 1 or 2 plays away or a key injury at a bad time away. So normal amounts of luck would put a top team in the 4/5 or 80% category of not making it. "Bad" luck is really the norm. We only think about when it is our program, but there are several other teams lamenting "what if" every year.

TahoeSOONER
1/4/2011, 01:54 PM
Bad luck, refs calls were just the beginning. The amount of injuries going into Bowl games, key injuries like Demarco against Florida, solidifies the bad luck.

Not to mention some of these back yard games in Nat'l title games.

Thankfully OU still did well regardless.

BigTip
1/4/2011, 02:22 PM
Maybe I have poker player syndrome. We always remember the bad beats lots longer than the suck outs.

But the thing is we've been so close. None of the mid-tier teams can say, "Damn, if only THIS or that hadn't happened, we'd be national champs." Well, maybe Stanford this year. But for us, it's not crazy to say that if just a few things had gone differently, we might have more titles right now.

sooneron
1/4/2011, 03:01 PM
Last year's bad luck = 5 years of bad luck. Period.

MyT Oklahoma
1/4/2011, 03:14 PM
I don't know either way on the past, but I am very excited about the future!

^^ This. What's done is done but next fall is looking looking "MyT purty".