PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on new NFL OT rules?

rekamrettuB
1/4/2011, 11:03 AM
What are your thoughts? My only complaint is why use it exclusively during the playoffs?

bigfatjerk
1/4/2011, 11:05 AM
I agree, I think the rules would be just fine to use in the NFL. Most of the time both teams get the ball anyways. Just make it to where both teams get it once.

rekamrettuB
1/4/2011, 11:22 AM
Ya it would be nice if coaches already had a feel for it. Do I take the ball first? Play defense? If I'm inside the 10 do I go for 6 to end it or do I go ahead and take the 3 and try and stop them?

bigfatjerk
1/4/2011, 11:24 AM
I wish College would adopt this rule.

Aldebaran
1/4/2011, 11:24 AM
Yeah... these are really hard choices. They should scrap it.

SoonerDood
1/4/2011, 11:42 AM
The NFL has too many exceptions to too many rules.

rekamrettuB
1/4/2011, 11:45 AM
Yeah... these are really hard choices. They should scrap it.

The choices aren't hard but when you go in w/ absolutely zero experience it will make you 2nd guess yourself. And again, I never said I didn't like it. I just don't like the fact they break it out during the most important games of the season.

Sooners78
1/4/2011, 11:48 AM
My overtime rule would be very simple. Just continue the game as if there is a 5th quarter carried over from the 4th quarter. First team to score wins. Don't even do a coin flip.

badger
1/4/2011, 11:51 AM
Ummmm... someone remind me what the new rules are for NFL overtime plz

EatLeadCommie
1/4/2011, 11:51 AM

Me too. I don't pay attention to the NFL when I can watch the Sooners instead.

rekamrettuB
1/4/2011, 11:52 AM

Team 1 gets ball...if they score TD, game over. If they score FG, team 2 gets ball and has chance to tie with FG or win with TD. If team 2 scores FG then it's sudden death.

I guess the game ends on a safety too since team 2 would get the ball back anyway.

rekamrettuB
1/4/2011, 11:53 AM
Me too. I don't pay attention to the NFL when I can watch the Sooners instead.

OU plays on Sunday? :D

Sooner_Bob
1/4/2011, 11:56 AM
The new rules are stupid.

trpltongue
1/4/2011, 11:58 AM
What's wrong with the college rules for the NFL? Both teams get a shot.

badger
1/4/2011, 12:00 PM
Team 1 gets ball...if they score TD, game over. If they score FG, team 2 gets ball and has chance to tie with FG or win with TD. If team 2 scores FG then it's sudden death.

I guess the game ends on a safety too since team 2 would get the ball back anyway.

Innnnnteresting... if I had a mustache, if I could even grow a mustache, here's where I'd be twisting it in an intrigued way.

I have not idea how this will work, but the Packers lost in OT last year to end their playoff run, so I'd rather the Pack not test these rules out and let someone else experiment with it first.

Stoops has always complained that OT rewards teams with good field goal kickers (and since Harrrrtley is in nawlins now, sucks for us) so perhaps if this works out, this would be a good solution to a bad problem.

rekamrettuB
1/4/2011, 12:02 PM
What's wrong with the college rules for the NFL? Both teams get a shot.

I would say move it back to the 50 if you did that. I don't like taking out 2/3 of the special teams during the college rules OT. Like someone posted above, why change what you played for 4 quarters? Basketball and baseball don't do it. Sure basketball shortens the quarters but fundamentally it's the same game.

bigfatjerk
1/4/2011, 12:16 PM
I would say move it back to the 50 if you did that. I don't like taking out 2/3 of the special teams during the college rules OT. Like someone posted above, why change what you played for 4 quarters? Basketball and baseball don't do it. Sure basketball shortens the quarters but fundamentally it's the same game.
I like the College rule somewhat. To me the only change you should make is have both teams have the ball once then have it be sudden death. Other than that you have the same rules as regulation. I agree, that changing the game fundamentally is stupid and it's why the college OT sucks.

badger
1/4/2011, 12:22 PM
If the NFL wanted to recruit more futbol fans and not just football fans, they could borrow soccer's rules and have penalty kicks :)

Official: Kickers, bid on who can make the longest kick. The highest bid gets to attempt. If you make it, you win. If you miss it, you lose.

Ryan Longwell: Oh crap, we're outdoors... 40 yards?

Garrett Hartley: SIXTY EFFING YARDS!

Official: OK, Hartley will attempt from 60 yards.

(Hartley makes it)

Official: Saints are going to the Super Bowl!

Favre: Well shoot, looks like I'm retiring... until Longwell and others visit my Mississippi residence in the offseason to pull me back for one last season.

:D That would be fun

yermom
1/4/2011, 12:38 PM

possessions don't matter as much in basketball though. you'd have to play two more timed periods where they both kicked off to make it fair, really

bigfatjerk
1/4/2011, 12:43 PM
possessions don't matter as much in basketball though. you'd have to play two more timed periods where they both kicked off to make it fair, really
Why not just go untimed and have where both teams get it once. If the score is still tied after that we go to sudden death. Maybe after 3 or 4 times where nobody scores or it is still tied, you have to go for it on 4th down and go for 2 for every TD. Something like the current OT does in college football.

EatLeadCommie
1/4/2011, 12:46 PM
OU plays on Sunday? :D

No, but my hangovers from OU games last through Monday.

yermom
1/4/2011, 12:54 PM
Why not just go untimed and have where both teams get it once. If the score is still tied after that we go to sudden death. Maybe after 3 or 4 times where nobody scores or it is still tied, you have to go for it on 4th down and go for 2 for every TD. Something like the current OT does in college football.

i'm responding to the idea of just having a 5th quarter or something

bigfatjerk
1/4/2011, 12:57 PM
i'm responding to the idea of just having a 5th quarter or something
I agree 5th quarter won't work because if it's 5 minutes a team can just run the clock and hit a FG in the last seconds. Even with 10 minutes that is possible. I like some things about the NFL sudden death. And some games to end in tie. It's rare but it happens. But I like it better if both teams get a chance 100% of the time. The NFL OT is the best OT.

rekamrettuB
1/4/2011, 01:24 PM
No, but my hangovers from OU games last through Monday.

:D I have that problem too. But there's just something about napping off a hangover with football noise in the background. Golf is 2nd.

trpltongue
1/4/2011, 01:39 PM
Whatever it is, it needs to be fair to both teams and not just rely on a coin toss. Give each team a possesion, including a kickoff and see what they can do. If neither scores, rinse and repeat. If neither scores again, move the ball to the 35 and give it a go. If it's still tied, require teams to go for it on 4th down, etc.

NFL overtime is the worst overtime. It is completely unfair and favors the team that *wins* the coin toss.

bigfatjerk
1/4/2011, 01:54 PM
Whatever it is, it needs to be fair to both teams and not just rely on a coin toss. Give each team a possesion, including a kickoff and see what they can do. If neither scores, rinse and repeat. If neither scores again, move the ball to the 35 and give it a go. If it's still tied, require teams to go for it on 4th down, etc.

NFL overtime is the worst overtime. It is completely unfair and favors the team that *wins* the coin toss.

The winner of the coin toss scores something like 30% of the time I think, But that's still way to high.

trpltongue
1/4/2011, 05:03 PM
Yeah,

I think I've seen statistics that show the winner of the toss ends up winninng the game like 50% of the time, but nevertheless, if the game is decided by whoever scores first and you randomly give the ball to one team instead of the other, it creates an advantage for that team.

olevetonahill
1/4/2011, 05:13 PM
Get rid of OT and go back to Win,Lose or Draw.