PDA

View Full Version : Va tech & Beamer = terrible

Soonermagik
1/4/2011, 07:56 AM
They are now 1-19 against top 5 teams. Sure, Stoops has lost a few big games, but nothing compared to this. To be fair, Va Tech can only beat the easy opponents.

Boise State beat Va Tech and only had one loss. Va Tech had 2 L's and one of those was to James Madison on their home field. I'm not a Boise guy, but they should have been in that game, not Va Tech.

cleller
1/4/2011, 08:09 AM
They are now 1-19 against top 5 teams. Sure, Stoops has lost a few big games, but nothing compared to this. To be fair, Va Tech can only beat the easy opponents.

Boise State beat Va Tech and only had one loss. Va Tech had 2 L's and one of those was to James Madison on their home field. I'm not a Boise guy, but they should have been in that game, not Va Tech.

That would have been good. I like Harbaugh and his team. This might have been the matchup to force-feed Boise their medicine.

Boomer.....
1/4/2011, 08:26 AM
They played well later in the season but were overmatched by a great Stanford team.

yermom
1/4/2011, 08:36 AM
i gotta give them credit. i wrote them off after that second loss and basically forgot about them until i heard they were playing FSU in the ACC title game after not losing again

you have to give them props for even getting to the Orange Bowl this year, and Stanford only lost to Oregon after giving up a decent lead. they are no joke and with Luck last year, they probably give us a rough game

on the other hand, they seem to quietly lose BCS games. we make a much bigger show of it :O

EatLeadCommie
1/4/2011, 08:41 AM
The best thing about VT losing is they reestablished themselves as the biggest bowl game chokers out there. People seemed to have forgotten that after they beat Cinci a few years back to end their cold streak.

It is not OU, nor has it ever been. It has always been VT.

OKLA21FAN
1/4/2011, 08:55 AM
what is Bob's record against top 5 opponents?

anyone...anyone? Bueller?

Soonermagik
1/4/2011, 09:00 AM
Let's face it, Boise State beat them on a neutral site and only lost 1 game. If you lose at home to James Madison you don't deserve to be in a BCS game. The automatice tie-in failed here.

I don't know what Bob is against top 5 teams. I believe I saw a stat that said he is 40-17 against top 25 teams, though.

Jacie
1/4/2011, 09:44 AM
Before dissing Frank "(Lose the) Big Game" Beamer, remember that to their credit, they played a pretty salty JMU squad (that went 6-6 in 2010) on only 5 days rest. Also, the Hokies block an extra point every two point three games and this was not that game . . .

Harry Beanbag
1/4/2011, 10:02 AM
what is Bob's record against top 5 opponents?

anyone...anyone? Bueller?

8-7 according to Soonerstats.

fadada1
1/4/2011, 10:22 AM
as soon as we take money out of the bowl equation, we'll have the match-ups we want to see. this year was a perfect example:

1- a non-ranked UCONN team in a BCS game as big east chumps - JOKE
2 - VATECH wins the acc, but loses to a 1AA team at home - sorry folks, you do that and you get a bag full of squat.
3 - why the "controversy" over TCU CLOBBERING wisconsin as a "non-auto-qualifier"??? they've lost 3 games in the past 3 years for tebow's sake. THEY WILL ROLL THROUGH THE BIG EAST NEXT YEAR!!!!
4 - boise loses to a good utah team (a team no one can remember which bowl they played in), and destroys everyone else - let them play against the big boys and see if they belong. ESPN will never let us forget the last time they played a power/traditional team.

arcman46
1/4/2011, 10:34 AM
it was Nevada, not Utah that Boise lost to.

EatLeadCommie
1/4/2011, 10:37 AM
as soon as we take money out of the bowl equation, we'll have the match-ups we want to see. this year was a perfect example:

1- a non-ranked UCONN team in a BCS game as big east chumps - JOKE
2 - VATECH wins the acc, but loses to a 1AA team at home - sorry folks, you do that and you get a bag full of squat.
3 - why the "controversy" over TCU CLOBBERING wisconsin as a "non-auto-qualifier"??? they've lost 3 games in the past 3 years for tebow's sake. THEY WILL ROLL THROUGH THE BIG EAST NEXT YEAR!!!!
4 - boise loses to a good utah team (a team no one can remember which bowl they played in), and destroys everyone else - let them play against the big boys and see if they belong. ESPN will never let us forget the last time they played a power/traditional team.

TCU hardly clobbered Wisconsin and they lose much of their team after this season. They will struggle next year, though I don't think they go to the Big East until 2012.

Boise lost to Nevada, not Utah.

Sooners78
1/4/2011, 10:52 AM
Why was their QB being talked up so much leading up to the game. He was awful, very 1-dimensional, and that dimension was nothing special. Most of his passes weren't even close.

fadada1
1/4/2011, 03:59 PM
ehh, corrections... totally overrated. i hadn't had my morning pepsi yet.;)

nevada... utah... whatever.

"Utah?"

"You know, Frank. It's wedged in between Idaho and Nevada... you've seen pictures."

cvsooner
1/4/2011, 06:14 PM
To be fair, the first half was a dead heat, for all intents and purposes...13-12. I didn't expect Stanford to pull away like they did.

soonervegas
1/4/2011, 06:26 PM
Oklahoma 3-5 .375
Alabama 1-2 .333
Michigan 1-3 .250
Virginia Tech 1-4 .200
Florida State 1-5 .167

Frankly, we are in decent company when it comes to the BCS. You got to get there to lose....

P.S. LSU is 4-0? Wow. The joy of 4 home games.....

Sooner_Tuf
1/4/2011, 06:37 PM

Why should Boise have been in that game? I don't disagree with the premise it might have been a good game.

I think the thing that troubles a lot of fans is that they don't take the system we play under into account. Boise wasn't the conference champion of a conference with an Orange Bowl tie in. They didn't finish high enough to get an at large spot.

Boise barely beat Va Tech but they did lose to Nevada that lost to Hawaii that lost big to Tulsa. Transitive property doesn't work well in predicting games which is why we have a constantly evolving system.

At any rate Va Tech belonged in that game just as much as Stanford. In fact Stanford wouldn't have been there had they finished one spot lower in the BCS.

Eielson
1/4/2011, 11:33 PM
I don't think too many coaches have good records against top 5 teams.

sooner59
1/4/2011, 11:41 PM
Oklahoma 3-5 .375
Alabama 1-2 .333
Michigan 1-3 .250
Virginia Tech 1-4 .200
Florida State 1-5 .167

Frankly, we are in decent company when it comes to the BCS. You got to get there to lose....

P.S. LSU is 4-0? Wow. The joy of 4 home games.....

Yes, seriously. You can look at streaks and percentages all day long. But in the end...

OU - 8 BCS births
Bama - 3 BCS births

Not to bash Bama, but you can't bash OU because they don't play scrubs normally in bowl games.

Jmorales22
1/5/2011, 12:01 AM
Beamer has produced the best team in an average ACC for years now... no shame in that IMO. It's not like VT is some kind of powerhouse program anyway....

SoonerLB
1/5/2011, 01:53 AM
Yeah but, . . . . . but, . . . how many major football schools have a QB named after a car part? ;)

Leroy Lizard
1/5/2011, 01:54 AM
Yeah but, . . . . . but, . . . how many major football schools have a QB named after a car part? ;)

I have never heard of a car part called a Taylor.

SoonerLB
1/5/2011, 02:15 AM
Tie rod, which is a front end part, and not to be confused with a kanibler pin. :)

texaspokieokie
1/5/2011, 09:42 AM

i think his dad specialized in front end alignment.

Mad Dog Madsen
1/5/2011, 11:54 AM
VT sucks. Beamer sucks. I hate them with a passion...

texaspokieokie
1/5/2011, 11:55 AM

why ??

Mad Dog Madsen
1/5/2011, 11:58 AM
Honestly... I have no idea. :D They just get under my skin. They're one of the Top 5 most hated teams for me. Along with with Kansas, Miami, saxeT, and tOSU. I just hate them. I'm sorry...

texaspokieokie
1/5/2011, 12:00 PM
no need to be sorry.

jumperstop
1/5/2011, 12:01 PM

I just hate hearing about them. Espn likes to over rate them every year. It's not like they've been relevant like ever.