PDA

View Full Version : Stanfords Band was Bained from the Orange Bowl 1/2 time

olevetonahill
1/4/2011, 03:04 AM
Why wasn't this brought up? Seems the OB was worried they might Dis ol Lebron :D

This Band sounds Like they need their butts kicked, But WTH let em have their fun :D

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Orange-Bowl-bans-the-Stanford-Band-for-LeBron-J?urn=ncaaf-303032

STUpendOUs
1/4/2011, 03:10 AM
that guy is playing a stop sign... I LOVE IT!

wahoorob
1/4/2011, 03:33 AM
Nothing worse than being bained.

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2011, 03:40 AM
We could hire a goon squad to work 'em over with blackjacks and cattle prods. Call it an art project. They'll have to understand.

MeMyself&Me
1/4/2011, 04:54 AM
The stated reason for banning them is stupid but looking at the history of the band according to the link, it does look like they've crossed the line a few times. If it were MY annual event, I might consider banning them as well. It's not like banning the band AFTER they do something would work. I wouldn't say it was because of Lebron's feelings though.

OUTrumpet
1/4/2011, 07:06 AM
The stated reason for banning them is stupid but looking at the history of the band according to the link, it does look like they've crossed the line a few times. If it were MY annual event, I might consider banning them as well. It's not like banning the band AFTER they do something would work. I wouldn't say it was because of Lebron's feelings though.

When they played BYU in the last decade, I remember they formed a wedding and kept playing 'here comes the bride' as more and more girls walked down the aisle as a polygamy joke.

yermom
1/4/2011, 07:06 AM
dude, that's so lame.

Miami and LeBron can suck it.

salth2o
1/4/2011, 07:58 AM

Did you see the drummer last night playing a double stainless steel sink?

OUthunder
1/4/2011, 08:00 AM
dude, that's so lame.

Miami and LeBron can suck it.

Yep.

CincySooner
1/4/2011, 08:25 AM
The bands haven't been allowed to play at HALFTIME of the Orange Bowl for nearly 40 years.

The bands have aways done a pre-game show and then stayed in the stands while a musical guest played halftime.

yermom
1/4/2011, 08:27 AM
Did you see the drummer last night playing a double stainless steel sink?

unlike some of the dead-inside posters around here, i thought their antics were pretty funny last year :D

owenfieldreams
1/4/2011, 08:36 AM
When they were in Norman (when Elway was the QB), they did a spoof on Switzer. The most controversial halftime and one that even got them in trouble with the Stanford administration was a salute to Mao, the Chinese communist leader.

I believe at one time or another they have formed a giant penis on the field. They are perfect for The Farm. The Rice "Marching Owl Band", known as the MOB, is similar but not quite as controversial.

prrriiide
1/4/2011, 08:55 AM
When they were in Norman (when Elway was the QB), they did a spoof on Switzer. The most controversial halftime and one that even got them in trouble with the Stanford administration was a salute to Mao, the Chinese communist leader.

I believe at one time or another they have formed a giant penis on the field. They are perfect for The Farm. The Rice "Marching Owl Band", known as the MOB, is similar but not quite as controversial.

When Ronald Reagan had skin cancer removed from his nose, the band parodied that, too. They did the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

What makes the Stanford Band unique is that it is entirely student-run; they don't have a faculty overseer. All of the music, drill, and logistics are done by students. Which, if you think about what it takes to move a couple hundred college students a thousand miles or more, feed them, house them, etc., is a pretty big undertaking. Especially with that group of miscreants.

salth2o
1/4/2011, 09:05 AM
unlike some of the dead-inside posters around here, i thought their antics were pretty funny last year :D

I like them as well. I think their antics are a great break from the typical halftime show. The Rice band, the Mob, is very similar.

RahOkU
1/4/2011, 09:22 AM
The bands haven't been allowed to play at HALFTIME of the Orange Bowl for nearly 40 years.

The bands have aways done a pre-game show and then stayed in the stands while a musical guest played halftime.

No, not true. At least it wasn't in 1976.

The bands from each university do perform at half time, but are not the featured entertainment. Orange Bowl half times have always been goofy productions anyway.

I have always admired the Stanford band. Their creativity and imagination always overshadows their ability to play musical instruments and march in straight lines - and that is not by accident........

stoops the eternal pimp
1/4/2011, 09:23 AM
I thought they were funny at first at the Sun Bowl, but then the novelty of it wore off pretty fast to me...It didn't make me mad or anything, it just got to where it wasn't that funny

The
1/4/2011, 09:25 AM

Camazotz, man.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/4/2011, 09:25 AM

Yes, I liked the intertwining male and female symbol on the field...I believe this was after the OB debacle and the "alledged" Switzer and OC coach's wife hook up...

OUmillenium
1/4/2011, 09:29 AM
When Ronald Reagan had skin cancer removed from his nose, the band parodied that, too. They did the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

What makes the Stanford Band unique is that it is entirely student-run; they don't have a faculty overseer. All of the music, drill, and logistics are done by students. Which, if you think about what it takes to move a couple hundred college students a thousand miles or more, feed them, house them, etc., is a pretty big undertaking. Especially with that group of miscreants.

It appears that there is a lot of "independence" and students are truly given reign to develop individual responsibility at Stanford. The band might be taking advantage of this a bit, however.

Last time I talked to Chase Beeler (about a year ago face-face), he said all of his courses were based on the "honor system" where all tests and assignments are "take home tests". Of course, if you are ever caught plagiarizing/cheating, its one strike and you are out.

I thought that was awesome.

I love the way the band is kind of a "fraternity" type of atmosphere rather than a class with a teacher. They are bound to cross the line here and there but they are also bound to strike gold quite often, as well.

BoomerJack
1/4/2011, 10:47 AM
And I thought the Rice Univ. Marching Owl Band (MOB) had pulled some stunts in the past.

The Stanford Band has 'em beat by miles!!

mehip
1/4/2011, 10:52 AM
[/B]

It appears that there is a lot of "independence" and students are truly given reign to develop individual responsibility at Stanford.

Most of my undergrad work was like this and it was freaking awesome. Also, not a lot of tests but lots of real and intense projects. I Loved CalTech.

SoonerMom2
1/4/2011, 11:01 AM
I thought they were funny at first at the Sun Bowl, but then the novelty of it wore off pretty fast to me...It didn't make me mad or anything, it just got to where it wasn't that funny

Same here -- playing through the awards presentation, however, showed no class plus having a skunk as the drum major was stupid. Didn't think they were funny -- more stupid than anything which is what they tried to portray Oklahomans.

We stayed at the same hotel as the Stanford Band and didn't find them any more appealing in real life.

SoonerinLondon
1/4/2011, 11:11 AM
This post is the ban of my existence.

SoonerMachine
1/4/2011, 11:13 AM
I thought the band's '84 tribute to Vanessa Williams was provocative to say the least!

instigator
1/4/2011, 11:20 AM

Be careful. People here don't like that kind of non traditional stuff. :P

Boomer_Sooner_sax
1/4/2011, 11:36 AM

The bands from each university do perform at half time, but are not the featured entertainment. Orange Bowl half times have always been goofy productions anyway.

I have always admired the Stanford band. Their creativity and imagination always overshadows their ability to play musical instruments and march in straight lines - and that is not by accident........

The two Orange Bowls I marched in were both done at pre-game. There is no more bands at halftime int he Orange Bowl, at least since 2001.

soonerchk
1/4/2011, 11:45 AM
I love the Stanford band because of their irreverence. So what if they portray Oklahomans as hillbillies? ESPN's camera crew does the same thing and they aren't a bunch of goofy college kids.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/4/2011, 12:34 PM
If it were my choice I'd bane these gawd-awful Orange Bowl halftime train wrecks forever.

The
1/4/2011, 12:36 PM
If it were my choice I'd bane these gawd-awful Orange Bowl halftime train wrecks forever.

Hey, the Goo Goo Dolls. Wuss-Rock at it's finest.

badger
1/4/2011, 12:41 PM
In case there's still any question, they were not bained. Both Satanford and Va Tech were on the field before the game, but they really didn't show their performances too much on ESPN. The Orange Bowl doesn't have marching band halftime shows, just pregame. The researcher on the linked article did no research apparently :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
1/4/2011, 12:42 PM

Yup, Ya must see the humor in every thing . I thought the things they said the band done in the past were funny as hell .

soonerchk
1/4/2011, 12:47 PM
Hey, the Goo Goo Dolls. Wuss-Rock at it's finest.

GooGooDolls>Ashlee Simpson.

The
1/4/2011, 12:54 PM

That's like saying pollops>kidney stones.

yermom
1/4/2011, 12:54 PM
that's not saying a whole lot

EDIT: heh, The beat me to it

The
1/4/2011, 01:00 PM
that's not saying a whole lot

EDIT: heh, The beat me to it

I rule.

soonerchk
1/4/2011, 01:02 PM
That's like saying pollops>kidney stones.

Are you talking about pullups or polyps? Or scallops?

The
1/4/2011, 01:03 PM
Are you talking about pullups or polyps? Or scallops?

Pollops. A scallop that grows in your rectum.

Sooner_Bob
1/4/2011, 01:06 PM

Definitely

PalmBeachSooner
1/4/2011, 01:49 PM

Speaking of which, whatever happend to that bee-atch Ashley Simpson? She performed...or lip synched...at the 2000 OB halftime.

Of course I got up to get some beer and chat with Rock Calmus' uncle.

soonerchk
1/4/2011, 02:07 PM
Speaking of which, whatever happend to that bee-atch Ashley Simpson? She performed...or lip synched...at the 2000 OB halftime.

I wound up getting drunk with some random banker and talked some other OU fans out of jumping over the wall.

85sooners
1/4/2011, 02:33 PM
I wound up getting drunk with some random banker and talked some other OU fans out of jumping over the wall.

Thanks for talking me down

CincySooner
1/4/2011, 02:40 PM

Perhaps not 40 years ago, but its been that way for quite a while.

Whatever year they started having the feature performer do his or her thing from a stage they quit having the bands come on the field during halftime.

All I know is that I've never seen an Orange Bowl in my lifetime, live or on TV, where the bands got on the field at halftime.

soonerchk
1/4/2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks for talking me down

Don't make me regret it.

virginiasooner
1/4/2011, 02:50 PM
UVa used to have a student run "scramble band", but some time in the last decade, the Cavs played West Virginia in some low-rent bowl game, and the band did an outhouse joke. Needless to say, Governor Mark Warner was not amused. He pushed UVa to find some deep-pocket donor who was willing to endow and fund a marching band. I think it S*CKS that no one gets to see halftime shows anymore -- just 15 minutes of score updates. I WANT HALFTIME SHOWS BACK!!!

soonerchk
1/4/2011, 02:59 PM
UVa used to have a student run "scramble band", but some time in the last decade, the Cavs played West Virginia in some low-rent bowl game, and the band did an outhouse joke. Needless to say, Governor Mark Warner was not amused. He pushed UVa to find some deep-pocket donor who was willing to endow and fund a marching band. I think it S*CKS that no one gets to see halftime shows anymore -- just 15 minutes of score updates. I WANT HALFTIME SHOWS BACK!!!

Old people have no sense of humor.

Crimson Kid
1/4/2011, 06:59 PM
They were not banned. The article was wrong and they changed it.

yermom
1/4/2011, 07:02 PM
Dr. Saturday sincerely regrets the error, even more than it regrets the continued infliction of the Goo Goo Dolls on national television audiences.

:D

Leroy Lizard
1/5/2011, 12:57 AM

I don't think she lip synched. That was the problem.

SoonerAtKU
1/5/2011, 11:41 AM
I would have liked to see them do a Script "Jorts". I don't know if they have enough members to do Script "Couch Burners".

jkjsooner
1/5/2011, 11:48 AM

That was the 2004/2005 Orange Bowl. You know, the game that never happened. I remember this because the show Newlyweds had Jessica and Nick at the Orange Bowl (as Nick was a USC fan and Ashley was performing). I only watched the show because of the OU connection...

Scott D
1/5/2011, 12:06 PM
So what you curmudgeons are saying is that someone should send Brian Britt to rescue Stanford's band from itself.

RahOkU
1/5/2011, 12:57 PM
Perhaps not 40 years ago, but its been that way for quite a while.

Whatever year they started having the feature performer do his or her thing from a stage they quit having the bands come on the field during halftime.

All I know is that I've never seen an Orange Bowl in my lifetime, live or on TV, where the bands got on the field at halftime.

I don't remember who the top billed entertainment was in '76, but the Pride and Michigan band did perform in a diminished role. I believe in '78 (vs. Neb I think), I believe KC and the Sunshine Band was the top performer. Again, the Pride did perform. Same vs. Arkansas. There was some big time production with a top name and both university bands performed. I don't know if you meant watching live or on TV, but TV does cut out a lot (although I did make it on TV during the '76 OB half time show).

The half time shows lasted almost 1/2 hour and were just lame, IMO. I do remember in the '76 OB, flashlights and colored transparent cards were passed out to all and were given cues for lighting up various colors of the transparent cards at the same time. It was kind of cool for the period of time when technology was not like it is today......

Sooner Cal
1/5/2011, 08:30 PM
That was the 2004/2005 Orange Bowl. You know, the game that never happened. I remember this because the show Newlyweds had Jessica and Nick at the Orange Bowl (as Nick was a USC fan and Ashley was performing). I only watched the show because of the OU connection...

She sang at the Orange Bowl when we played the university of spoiled cheaters. It was horrible. She was caught lip syncing on tHe Tonight Show when she did the wrong song.

Sooner Cal
1/5/2011, 08:33 PM
Banning expression is bad. Just because they make fun of something doesn't justify censorship. Maybe some people are too insecure to tolerate free speech.

I Am Right
1/5/2011, 09:11 PM
Band?

CincySooner
1/6/2011, 08:37 AM
I don't remember who the top billed entertainment was in '76, but the Pride and Michigan band did perform in a diminished role. I believe in '78 (vs. Neb I think), I believe KC and the Sunshine Band was the top performer. Again, the Pride did perform. Same vs. Arkansas. There was some big time production with a top name and both university bands performed. I don't know if you meant watching live or on TV, but TV does cut out a lot (although I did make it on TV during the '76 OB half time show).

The half time shows lasted almost 1/2 hour and were just lame, IMO. I do remember in the '76 OB, flashlights and colored transparent cards were passed out to all and were given cues for lighting up various colors of the transparent cards at the same time. It was kind of cool for the period of time when technology was not like it is today......

A-Ha!! that must be it then. I was only born in 1980 and watched all the "big" bowls since I was about 10 or so. In 2000, I was in Pride and we didn't get on the field at halftime and when I attended the 04 game as a fan the bands didn't either.

I guess it was another classic case of CincySooner brain-logic "it happened this way that one time therefore it always happens this way"