PDA

View Full Version : Who replaces Q. Carter & Nelson??

Soonermagik
1/3/2011, 11:44 AM
My only concern for next season is the safety position. These guys have both been really good. So, who do you think replaces them?

ultimatesooner1
1/3/2011, 11:48 AM
Jefferson and someone

josh09
1/3/2011, 11:52 AM
I have the same concern as well, I hope it doesnt end up being our kryptonite, like it was 6 and 7 years ago.

rekamrettuB
1/3/2011, 12:00 PM
Jefferson will take over one spot and possibly still be Nickle. Ibiloye got a lot of playing time this year as well. I think OU will be more than fine back there. Then there's #30 Javon Harris who played a lot and very well. Heck a person almost forgotten about is Sam Proctor

sooner518
1/3/2011, 12:03 PM
Javon Harris seemed to play pretty well in the Big 12 CCG him and Ibiloye?

JLEW1818
1/3/2011, 12:07 PM
Jefferson is the man!

hint hint

soonerboy_odanorth
1/3/2011, 12:09 PM
Don't assume Jefferson takes over. He will have to beat out Javon Harris who played very well when each of Q and Nelson were nicked up, and/or Sam Proctor who has also performed well rotating in and will have the experience factor in his favor.

But the good news here is that with Jefferson, Harris, Proctor, Hurst, Flemming and Colvin we have six talented and experienced dbs to patrol the secondary.

Make that GREAT news.

We are so loaded on both sides of the ball next year it is just ridiculous. I haven't been this excited about an upcoming season in a long time...

SoonerNutt
1/3/2011, 12:12 PM
Jefferson will take over one spot and possibly still be Nickle. Ibiloye got a lot of playing time this year as well. I think OU will be more than fine back there.

Agreed, but it's still an interesting discussion. This defense, especially if Lewis comes back, doesn't have many question marks. Lots of upper classmen with experience coming back it most positions. We need something to talk about.

soonergolfer
1/3/2011, 12:49 PM
Jefferson is a star in the making & Javon Harris played as well as anyone when in the game.

Harris & Jefferson is the easy answer. That said Jefferson will play the nickel a lot & that stills leaves an opening.

Nelson is a terrible tackler although very good ball skills. I think Harris will hit (not as big as Carter) & has range much better than Carter.

Brent & Proctor probably will get the most opportunities to win time.

We also should see some more of Colvin. He, Hurst & Flemming are all very good corners.

Mark_in_Tulsa
1/3/2011, 01:02 PM
I think Jefferson is moving to the East side.

Dwight
1/3/2011, 01:12 PM
Don't assume Jefferson takes over. He will have to beat out Javon Harris who played very well when each of Q and Nelson were nicked up, and/or Sam Proctor who has also performed well rotating in and will have the experience factor in his favor.

But the good news here is that with Jefferson, Harris, Proctor, Hurst, Flemming and Colvin we have six talented and experienced dbs to patrol the secondary.

Make that GREAT news.

We are so loaded on both sides of the ball next year it is just ridiculous. I haven't been this excited about an upcoming season in a long time...

lol wut? he's one of the best players on the team.

OK2U
1/3/2011, 01:36 PM
The coaches are going to move Lane Johnson to safety because they're tired of opposing receivers winning jump ball contests in the secondary.
duh

humblesooner
1/3/2011, 02:41 PM
Still concerned about DT. We rarely had a push to put pressure on QB's this year. The current guys will have another year's experience, but they still were not putting much pressure on the QB's - even in Saturday's game.

Breadburner
1/3/2011, 03:15 PM
Still concerned about DT. We rarely had a push to put pressure on QB's this year. The current guys will have another year's experience, but they still were not putting much pressure on the QB's - even in Saturday's game.

You are kidding right....

2121Sooner
1/3/2011, 03:16 PM
I love how Millen called him Quincy Carter.

What an idiot.

bigfatjerk
1/3/2011, 03:21 PM
Tony Jefferson is a star. Javon Harris has played well the last few games.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/3/2011, 04:13 PM
lol wut? he's one of the best players on the team.

He's one of the best playmakers on the team. But as good as he is I think it important to call out that as a freshman he probably didn't have a ton thrown onto his plate to digest. He was spoon fed, brought along piece by piece, and put in a position to use his considerable talents in certain situations.

That is a far cry from being annointed the full time guy, especially over a senior veteran guy like Proctor who has already landed starts in the past, probably has more developed recognition, and who probably can make a lot of the on-field adjustment calls. He's not without talent either.

Having said that, does it look like Jefferson has a great opportunity to win one of the spots? Yes. I'm just saying not to assume at this point. The staff isn't just going to give him the job. He'll have to earn it.

Okie35
1/3/2011, 04:17 PM
Harris will replace Nelson.

Okie35
1/3/2011, 04:18 PM
Tony Jefferson is a star. Javon Harris has played well the last few games.

They'll both be stars. I can see them both starting next year.

fwsooner22
1/3/2011, 04:28 PM
Jefferson will be a star...heck he may be already. He won't be watching.

IronHorseSooner
1/3/2011, 04:37 PM
SS: J. Harris
FS: Proctor
NB: Jefferson

However, as we always do, we will plug-and-play as needed. Proctor has the experience, Harris played well down the stretch, and Jefferson is a budding superstar. This is a good problem to have!

UTisLousy
1/3/2011, 07:46 PM
Don't be surprised if you see Kevin Brent at Carter's safety spot next year. I think the only reason he didn't see the field this year was because he hurt his shoulder in the fall. Hopefully he comes back from the injury well. He's a hitter too, which should be fun to watch.

PLaw
1/3/2011, 08:17 PM
Jefferson is the man!

hint hint

Is he going to be your man crush next season???:eek:

Boomer

Ping
1/4/2011, 12:24 AM
Jefferson for sure! And what about Marcus Trice? I did hear he was working out with WR's too, but he has been a force on special teams the last two years.

Soonermagik
1/4/2011, 07:52 AM
SS: J. Harris
FS: Proctor
NB: Jefferson

However, as we always do, we will plug-and-play as needed. Proctor has the experience, Harris played well down the stretch, and Jefferson is a budding superstar. This is a good problem to have!

Probably right on the $.

oudavid1
1/4/2011, 08:32 AM
Javon Harris - SS
Sam Proctor - FS
Tony Jefferson - Nickle

Boom

gaylordfan1
1/4/2011, 10:39 AM
Hmmm, something to ponder. Jefferson will be missed at his nkl position, if coach V decides to even move him. I feel confident Martinez will make a wise choice.

rekamrettuB
1/4/2011, 10:53 AM
Javon Harris - SS
Sam Proctor - FS
Tony Jefferson - Nickle

Boom

So you only like Jefferson on the field in the Nickle? I think he needs to be on the field more than that. Maybe his coverage skills aren't all that great but I doubt it. If he couldn't cover he wouldn't be a safety.

MojoRisen
1/4/2011, 11:37 AM
Kevin Brent was a big time recruit - he was hurt this year.

blaine4oh5
1/4/2011, 02:01 PM
Nelson and Carter couldn't form takle some to save there lifes. And Carter got beat on every deep ball. We will be better off next year with jefferson, harris, and proctor at the safteys.

SoonerNutt
1/4/2011, 02:08 PM
So you only like Jefferson on the field in the Nickle? I think he needs to be on the field more than that. Maybe his coverage skills aren't all that great but I doubt it. If he couldn't cover he wouldn't be a safety.

Agree 100%. Unless Nickel is our base D next season, Jefferson will be starting at one of the other Safety spots. He needs to be on the field as much as possible.

oudavid1
1/4/2011, 05:43 PM

I see what you mean. But Oklahoma runs the nickle more than any other defensive set. I think the Nickle back is very important in OUr defense. We need Jefferson there.

Kevin Brent was a big time recruit - he was hurt this year.

I am really excited about this guy and Gabe Lynn.

Agree 100%. Unless Nickel is our base D next season, Jefferson will be starting at one of the other Safety spots. He needs to be on the field as much as possible.

I believe it will be. As many teams that try and throw against Oklahoma, i feel that the nickel is the best option and Jefferson is a great Nickleback.

And i dont think Jefferson will be on the field if we are in the 4-3.