PDA

View Full Version : Stoops advice to Lewis and Broyles

w0lfe
1/3/2011, 10:43 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/24005/stoops-offers-broyles-and-lewis-nfl-advice

sooneron
1/3/2011, 10:45 AM
After the way that Ryan was getting hammered, I wouldn't blame him one bit for taking the $ and leaving.

picasso
1/3/2011, 10:48 AM
"Keep playing in a great way."

OUmillenium
1/3/2011, 10:51 AM
Certainly

jumperstop
1/3/2011, 11:13 AM
Of course he's going to say stay. At least he didn't do it publicly on the field during the post game interview like Gundy. Basically begging Blackmon and weeden to come back.

limey_sooner
1/3/2011, 11:37 AM
"It doesn't matter if you leave because I will be taking the head coaching position at <fill in next major coaching vacancy here>"

jumperstop
1/3/2011, 11:39 AM
"It doesn't matter if you leave because I will be taking the head coaching position at <fill in next major coaching vacancy here>"

:confused: :confused:

SoonerJack
1/3/2011, 12:23 PM
Of course he's going to say stay. At least he didn't do it publicly on the field during the post game interview like Gundy. Basically begging Blackmon and weeden to come back.
^ this

badger
1/3/2011, 12:29 PM
I would love more insight into whether it's better for players to stay or go this year, regardless of projection. Obviously you always stay if your projection is low and you always lean toward going if your projection is insanely high (like four of our guys last year, hehe).

What I'm curious about is who's advice is best this year. Stoops and other coaches are saying STAY, not only because they'd love to have their best players back for more college success, but also because of the imminent NFL lockdown/strike/etc etc.

But, by the same token, scouts are saying GO because after the NFL lockout/strike/etc etc rookies will likely no longer have their big payday, with the big checks going to established stars instead. A rookie scale would likely take away contracts like Sammie's $50 million, with a lot of guaranteed money.

I love Stoops and all, but this time around with these unique circumstances, I wonder if the scouts' logic is more sound. I know many coaches and scouts look out for their own best interests, but one side might be right more than the other here.

Thoughts?

MI Sooner
1/3/2011, 01:01 PM
I would love more insight into whether it's better for players to stay or go this year, regardless of projection. Obviously you always stay if your projection is low and you always lean toward going if your projection is insanely high (like four of our guys last year, hehe).

What I'm curious about is who's advice is best this year. Stoops and other coaches are saying STAY, not only because they'd love to have their best players back for more college success, but also because of the imminent NFL lockdown/strike/etc etc.

But, by the same token, scouts are saying GO because after the NFL lockout/strike/etc etc rookies will likely no longer have their big payday, with the big checks going to established stars instead. A rookie scale would likely take away contracts like Sammie's $50 million, with a lot of guaranteed money.

I love Stoops and all, but this time around with these unique circumstances, I wonder if the scouts' logic is more sound. I know many coaches and scouts look out for their own best interests, but one side might be right more than the other here.

Thoughts?

The new labor deal will apply to people whether they stay or go. The time to leave to avoid the new deal was last year. Nothing they can do now.

Salt City Sooner
1/3/2011, 02:49 PM
He tells the kid what he genuinely feels is the right thing to do. Sometimes he tells them to stay (Lewis, RB), sometimes he pushes them out the front door with his blessings (TRRW, AD).

lexsooner
1/3/2011, 02:58 PM
At least Stoops isn't like Mike Gundy who told the press his qb Weeden still needs a year to be ready for the NFL (that really helps Weeden out if he does go, right?). Yes, stay another year, and then be pushing 30 years of age if or when he finally does make an NFL team, that's great advice, coach.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/3/2011, 03:09 PM

Thoughts?

This is not necessarily true....In many cases(MK for instance) the guy made a good decision by leaving..His knees weren't gonna get better, he had maxed out as a receiver in college...it was a great call...

Curtis Lofton...another great move...he wasn't gonna get taller or all of a sudden get all the measurables to move up, so he got drafted, saved a year of wear and tear of the college football season and is on his way to bigger and better things...

Broyles is probably the same way..he is going to be a late 2nd round pick at best this year, probably the same the next...

badger
1/3/2011, 03:14 PM
STEP correctly called me on my broad generalization. There are definitely exceptions to this widely accepted myth :D

That "little" detail aside, is it a year to listen to the scouts or the coaches?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/3/2011, 03:24 PM
If I was a player with a decision to make, I would not play it any differently this year...In fact if I had probably maxed out my draft potential I would leave....Because not as many players are going to leave early this year...

For instance, Franks gets a 2nd round grade last year...But so did 60-70 other guys at least...so it doesn't matter what grade you received, your competing with a lot of guys for those 32 spots...

This year, you'll probably get picked up wherever your grade is...And right now, I'm betting the deal will get done before season starts

soonerboy_odanorth
1/3/2011, 03:56 PM
I think the CBA is a great reason to wait this year. They may get it done before the season, but maybe not before the draft. Draftees (if there is a draft at all) could be left to twist in the wind for a bit both by agents who have their hands full and the respective organizations that draft them. And delayed or cancelled rookie and mini camps, etc., could hurt their development in the league.

Don't agree at all on Kelly, btw. He could have spent more time in the shop w/ Schmitty working on his speed and definitely needed to improve his route-running anyway. I don't know if his lack of development in those areas was work ethic related or not, but improvement in either would have moved him up the draft boards.

Soonermagik
1/3/2011, 03:59 PM
At least Stoops isn't like Mike Gundy who told the press his qb Weeden still needs a year to be ready for the NFL (that really helps Weeden out if he does go, right?). Yes, stay another year, and then be pushing 30 years of age if or when he finally does make an NFL team, that's great advice, coach.

A selfish move for sure. He knows if he loses Blackmon and Weeden he's screwed. Plus, he's already lost Hunter and Holgersen. Trust me, OSU is going to have a down year next season.

NormanPride
1/3/2011, 04:04 PM
You really think Broyles is a second rounder with all the talent coming out at WR this year? I know he's a great WR, but that has never really mattered to the NFL. Measurables, all the way. Look at all the Rams WRs. Those guys shouldn't be anywhere near an NFL roster.

KantoSooner
1/3/2011, 04:20 PM
It was my understanding that Stoops and the rest of the OU staff did a very credible job of counseling players on this point. To the extent of having player development people (retired) from several pro-teams come in and talk with the group about what they should do to maximize their draft potential.
Does anyone have first hand knowledge to share on this? It sounded to me, at any rate, like the players were being given the best advise possible.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/3/2011, 04:30 PM
Don't agree at all on Kelly, btw. He could have spent more time in the shop w/ Schmitty working on his speed and definitely needed to improve his route-running anyway. I don't know if his lack of development in those areas was work ethic related or not, but improvement in either would have moved him up the draft boards.

Really? How much faster was he going to get? was Schmitty going to give him robocop knees to make him faster?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/3/2011, 04:31 PM
You really think Broyles is a second rounder with all the talent coming out at WR this year? I know he's a great WR, but that has never really mattered to the NFL. Measurables, all the way. Look at all the Rams WRs. Those guys shouldn't be anywhere near an NFL roster.

He is a 2nd round grade...The earliest I would take him is the 3rd

kevpks
1/3/2011, 04:32 PM
A selfish move for sure. He knows if he loses Blackmon and Weeden he's screwed. Plus, he's already lost Hunter and Holgersen. Trust me, OSU is going to have a normal year next season.

FIFY

badger
1/3/2011, 04:33 PM
A selfish move for sure. He knows if he loses Blackmon and Weeden he's screwed. Plus, he's already lost Hunter and Holgersen. Trust me, OSU is going to have a down year next season.

Meh, he was supposed to be screwed THIS season when Zac and Dez left (and that Okung guy too) so losing a QB and WR combo is not a program ender, not even at Poke State.

And losing Dana won't matter because the offense has never been the thing holding the Pokes back.

Soooo... perhaps Pokes are just mush at this point. You can beat them repeatedly, but they won't ever get completely destroyed, because mush will always stay mush, no matter what.

(till T-Bone buys up their water rights... then mush will dry up and break, hehe)

Is it selfish for Gundy to want Blackmon and Weeden to stay? Dunno. It was definitely selfish for Petey to want Mark Sanchez to stay a few years back.

Dwight
1/3/2011, 04:43 PM
simple

stay=#8

Soonermagik
1/3/2011, 06:17 PM
Meh, he was supposed to be screwed THIS season when Zac and Dez left (and that Okung guy too) so losing a QB and WR combo is not a program ender, not even at Poke State.

And losing Dana won't matter because the offense has never been the thing holding the Pokes back.

Soooo... perhaps Pokes are just mush at this point. You can beat them repeatedly, but they won't ever get completely destroyed, because mush will always stay mush, no matter what.

(till T-Bone buys up their water rights... then mush will dry up and break, hehe)

Is it selfish for Gundy to want Blackmon and Weeden to stay? Dunno. It was definitely selfish for Petey to want Mark Sanchez to stay a few years back.

According to some they would be screwed. However, no one knew how good Holgersen's system was. No one knew how good Blackmon was. You can't lose Hunter & Holgersen and get better. I really think Blackmon leaves too.

I'm betting the pukes go back to their suckness starting next season.