PDA

View Full Version : TCU's last 3 losses.....

SteelClip49
1/3/2011, 01:38 AM

Oklahoma (XII Champs, BCSNCG participant)

Utah (MWC Champion, Sugar Bowl Champs, AP #2 finish)

Boise (WAC Champ, Fiesta Bowl win over TCU)

They sure have come a long way and have lost to the very best in the process so winning, of all games, the ROSE BOWL over Wisky is quite a major accomplishment.

And I doubt TCU is going to be the media darling like Boise has been. TCU and Utah have done it with class and they don't bring attention to themselves.

Oh, and the Rose Bowl Champs and Fiesta Bowl Champs are only 3 hours apart from each other. Rather nice to think about.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/3/2011, 01:57 AM
I wonder how the frogs will do if Gary Patterson takes another job? Maybe we will see pretty soon.

TheLadiesMike
1/3/2011, 02:00 AM
Even more impressive - look at the margins of victory in those games, and we took our foot off the gas.

sperry
1/3/2011, 02:02 AM

Oklahoma (XII Champs, BCSNCG participant)

Utah (MWC Champion, Sugar Bowl Champs, AP #2 finish)

Boise (WAC Champ, Fiesta Bowl win over TCU)

They sure have come a long way and have lost to the very best in the process so winning, of all games, the ROSE BOWL over Wisky is quite a major accomplishment.

And I doubt TCU is going to be the media darling like Boise has been. TCU and Utah have done it with class and they don't bring attention to themselves.

Oh, and the Rose Bowl Champs and Fiesta Bowl Champs are only 3 hours apart from each other. Rather nice to think about.

How has Boise brought attention to themselves? It's really not their fault that ESPN market research determined it was a good idea to pimp BSU. I still can't get over the bitterness Sooner fans show towards Boise St. They beat us a 5 years ago, and it was a really good game.

sooner59
1/3/2011, 02:12 AM
I thought it was weak that their kicker basically lost the Nevada game for them, then promptly appeared on ESPN outside the lines to whine about facebook threats. Dude isn't the first, nor the last, to ever get threats for poor play....especially kickers shanking games away. We know, its bad, your fans are psychotic. You still don't need to be telling sob stories on tv. Just go out and do your best and redeem yourself. What would Cam Kenney do? Exactly.

batonrougesooner
1/3/2011, 02:21 AM
I wonder how TCU would be if they were in the B12? Not the TCU of today but rather could they ever have built the TCU of today playing in the B12? Because if TCU can be this good there's no reason Baylor can't either.

SouthFortySooner
1/3/2011, 02:22 AM
How has Boise brought attention to themselves? It's really not their fault that ESPN market research determined it was a good idea to pimp BSU. I still can't get over the bitterness Sooner fans show towards Boise St. They beat us a 5 years ago, and it was a really good game.

Your telling us they beat us 5 years ago? It was mentioned 3 times in the first 15 seconds of the Fiesta Bowl, LAST NIGHT!

It is GUARANTEED no other bowl preview mentioned a loss by either team from 5 YEARS AGO!

Okie35

Thats true and Chris Peterson never lobbies for anything.

I thought it was weak that their kicker basically lost the Nevada game for them, then promptly appeared on ESPN outside the lines to whine about facebook threats. Dude isn't the first, nor the last, to ever get threats for poor play....especially kickers shanking games away. We know, its bad, your fans are psychotic. You still don't need to be telling sob stories on tv. Just go out and do your best and redeem yourself. What would Cam Kenney do? Exactly.

Espn probably brought him on once they heard about it.

What would Cam Kenney do? Exactly.I like that. T'would be a great sig for someone.

sooner59
1/3/2011, 02:25 AM
Heh. Didn't think about that when I typed it, but yeah, would be good advice for a young guy who was having a tough time getting things going.

Sooner_Tuf
1/3/2011, 02:27 AM

You're not serious. Boise has screamed and held their heads for pity, claimed they would play anyone anywhere (when they wouldn't), going as far (along with Utah) to scream for Government Intervention.

The blue field, good or bad, is an attempt to bring attention to themselves. The frozen north bowl game is an attempt to bring attention to themselves. Now to a certain extent some of that might be wise. They created a bowl game much like Hawaii did. So they would always have a place to play. But even they don't want to play in their own bowl.

SGA
1/3/2011, 02:42 AM
I don't think tcu ever hired a PR firm. Boise did.

Collier11
1/3/2011, 02:47 AM
Your telling us they beat us 5 years ago? It was mentioned 3 times in the first 15 seconds of the Fiesta Bowl, LAST NIGHT!

It is GUARANTEED no other bowl preview mentioned a loss by either team from 5 YEARS AGO!

Unfortunately, when you play in one of the All Time Great bowl games and lose, it will be brought up alot.

Now, the cindarella angle gets old considering we had 2 losses, they were undefeated, and they were ranked higher

SteelClip49
1/3/2011, 02:51 AM
What are the chances of a split poll? I say, percentage wise, it's rather decent considering the winner of the BCSNCG will win its first national title or its second national title (first outright).

TCU has an outright national title (1938) and deserves a little respect for what they did in beating a high-powered offense in the ROSE BOWL and having an impressive defense all year.

Collier11
1/3/2011, 02:56 AM
In this particular year I would have no issue with TCU being the AP Natl title, but, just like in 03 with u$c, it wouldnt really matter cus no one really cares about the AP anymore

SteelClip49
1/3/2011, 03:03 AM
yes, no one really does care for the AP anymore, but it's still just as powerful as the BCS (Coaches Poll) champion. I hope they get it. It would be a little extra spice for them recruiting wise and later going into the Big East.

1/3/2011, 03:12 AM
yes, no one really does care for the AP anymore, but it's still just as powerful as the BCS (Coaches Poll) champion. I hope they get it. It would be a little extra spice for them recruiting wise and later going into the Big East.Are you a TCU fan?

SteelClip49
1/3/2011, 03:30 AM
no, I am an OU fan. I just happen to respect legitimacy and Texas Christian University is just that.

Sooner_Tuf
1/3/2011, 05:17 AM
I respect TCU as well. Great program that seems to deserve all the accolades they are getting.

Split title? There really is no such thing anymore. We all play in the BCS System and only the winner of the BCS Title Game is the National Champion.

The AP can award one but like has been said it really doesn't mean anything anymore since the press doesn't pick the champion like they once did. Which is probably one reason they hate the BCS. The other being their poll doesn't factor in anymore as well. That is of course by their decision but it was spurred on by their own temper tantrum.

The Oklahoman or the Dallas Morning News (or anyone else) could award one as well.

oudavid1
1/3/2011, 05:19 AM

....for Boise.

Oklahoma didnt want to be there and couldnt defend a 40 yard td pass with 7 seconds left.

sooner518
1/3/2011, 09:59 AM
I go to TCU right now for grad school and i dont hear alot of fans clamoring to be in the title discussion. They all mostly seem happy to have won a big game in a great game and to have had a great season. Im sure they would like a shot at the national title, but they seem to have accepted their fate that they will be ranked no higher than #2 at the end of the season.

Im interested to see how they will do next year without a 4 year starter at QB.....

Soonerite
1/3/2011, 10:09 AM
I wasnt alive for the whole SMU rise to legitimacy, but after watching the recent 30 for 30 about how they were consistently beating the big names, do the recent TCU teams draw any comparison to those old SMU teams? And will they will eventually fall off like SMU (though not due to cheating), or will they sustain their winning nature?

King Barry's Back
1/3/2011, 10:10 AM

If a network is pimping something or someone, it's usually because behind the scenes the pimped entity is pleading and lobbying like crazy to be pimped.

That's why guy's like Teblow don't get a pass.

King Barry's Back
1/3/2011, 10:13 AM
In this particular year I would have no issue with TCU being the AP Natl title, but, just like in 03 with u$c, it wouldnt really matter cus no one really cares about the AP anymore

+1

King Barry's Back
1/3/2011, 10:14 AM
no, I am an OU fan. I just happen to respect legitimacy and Texas Christian University is just that.

When do they begin Big East play? Guess we'll see how legitimate, then, won't we?

If the Big East is legitimate, but that's another topic for another thread.

Jason
1/3/2011, 10:15 AM

Here you go:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4623676

Jason
1/3/2011, 10:18 AM
I don't think tcu ever hired a PR firm. Boise did.
Technically, it was the WAC who hired the PR firm. (See my post above). But, your point is well taken.

My Opinion Matters
1/3/2011, 10:18 AM
I wonder how TCU would be if they were in the B12? Not the TCU of today but rather could they ever have built the TCU of today playing in the B12? Because if TCU can be this good there's no reason Baylor can't either.

I've had this same thought. Really, the only difference between TCU and someplace like Baylor is that TCU has been allowed to flourish in a weak conference. I've never thought that adding TCU to the big XII-II made much sense for either side.

bluedogok
1/3/2011, 10:36 AM
I wonder how the frogs will do if Gary Patterson takes another job? Maybe we will see pretty soon.
I get the feeling that he may not jump somewhere else, I think he has had interest from others and seems to have rebuffed them early every time, there may be many more back channel "no thanks" responses than we know about. I think he may have learned from the Franchione debacle moving onto higher profile jobs and realized that he may have it pretty good where is at. TCU is a pretty wealthy school in fertile recruiting territory and a winnable conference that puts him in a position near the top. I think Franchione proved that some coaches are better at a TCU than a Bama or A&M, the glare and pressure of the high profile program may be more than they care to deal with.

I think TCU would be about the same level as Tech, OSU and A&M this season, in the mix some years but still fighting against OU and UT yearly. They made some good hires when Baylor didn't for many years, there is no reason why Baylor can't be better than they have been and I think Briles has them headed in the right direction and he could be able to maintain them as a mid pack Big 12 team now that the divisions are gone.

When do they begin Big East play? Guess we'll see how legitimate, then, won't we?

If the Big East is legitimate, but that's another topic for another thread.They have one more year of MWC play and head to the Big East for the 2012 season.

picasso
1/3/2011, 10:50 AM

Or any other BCS conference.

SoonerNutt
1/3/2011, 04:06 PM
Unfortunately, when you play in one of the All Time Great bowl games and lose, it will be brought up alot.

Now, the cindarella angle gets old considering we had 2 losses, they were undefeated, and they were ranked higher

The problem is, if we had won it, it wouldn't have ever been considered one of the all-time great bla bla bla.

SoonerNutt
1/3/2011, 04:11 PM
I wasnt alive for the whole SMU rise to legitimacy, but after watching the recent 30 for 30 about how they were consistently beating the big names, do the recent TCU teams draw any comparison to those old SMU teams? And will they will eventually fall off like SMU (though not due to cheating), or will they sustain their winning nature?

I think with the conference move, facilities upgrades, and the TV market they have, they could very well sustain an elite status.

I don't know for a fact, but I feel like TCU has done it the "right" way, as opposed to the way SMU did it. Easier to sustain something that is built upon a solid foundation.

GrapevineSooner
1/3/2011, 04:18 PM

Hard to say, really. I think from a competition standpoint, the SWC was still tougher than the Mountain West Conference because SMU still had to go through Texas, Arkie, and A&M back then.

And I don't see them falling off anytime soon. The Big East is arguably the weakest of the BCS conferences. But it's still a BCS conference.

Getting unshackled from that non-AQ status is the best thing that Athletic Director Chris Del Conte could have ever done for that program.

Sooner_Bob
1/3/2011, 04:29 PM

Yep.

yermom
1/3/2011, 05:55 PM
TCU winning the AP would be amazing.

then, when if Auburn does finally get nailed by the NCAA, they won't get to keep the AP trophy

and yeah, kids, USC still has the 2003 and 2004 titles. 20 years from now, they will still have those titles and no one will care about Reggie Bush, except that he lost his Heisman.

SoonerDood
1/3/2011, 06:05 PM
I've had this same thought. Really, the only difference between TCU and someplace like Baylor is that TCU has been allowed to flourish in a weak conference. I've never thought that adding TCU to the big XII-II made much sense for either side.

THIS. What did TCU do of significance in the last 30+ plus years of the SWC? Nothing. They couldn't compete with the Horns, Aggies, or even Razorbacks and eventually ended up in C-USA where they were the big dog.

yermom
1/3/2011, 06:09 PM
their record against the Big 12 is pretty good though

we'll see how the Big East goes. i think they probably would be somewhere in the aTm-Tech range in the South

meandmybutt
1/3/2011, 10:16 PM
Maybe TCU should paint their field purple....

salth2o
1/3/2011, 10:24 PM
Boise is a dirty, gimmicky attention whore.

TCU will kill teh Big Least.

Collier11
1/3/2011, 10:50 PM

If the Big East is legitimate, but that's another topic for another thread.

This years TCU beat a ranked (at the time) Oregon st team
Beat the dog snot out of bowl team Baylor
Beat bowl the crap out of bowl teams Air Force, BYU, and SMU
Butt raped #6 Utah on the road
Beat a very good San Diego St team
and Beat #4 Wisconsin

Eielson
1/3/2011, 10:57 PM
yes, no one really does care for the AP anymore, but it's still just as powerful as the BCS (Coaches Poll) champion. I hope they get it. It would be a little extra spice for them recruiting wise and later going into the Big East.

No way in hell does TCU deserve a national championship for beating a team from the Big 10. Alabama beat one of the other Big 10 Co-champs 49-7, and it could've easily been worse. TCU may be a top 10 team, but they would get rolled over by about 4-5 SEC teams.

Eielson
1/3/2011, 11:09 PM
This years TCU beat a ranked (at the time) Oregon st team

Well it doesn't matter what they were at the time. We know better now than to have them ranked. TCU won a close game to a team with a losing record. That's actually more of a mark against them.

Beat the dog snot out of bowl team Baylor

Who hasn't?

Beat bowl the crap out of bowl teams Air Force, BYU, and SMU

Everybody goes to a bowl game anymore. That's nice, though, I guess.

Butt raped #6 Utah on the road

Utah is not the #6 team. They will be lucky to be ranked at the end of the year. I don't believe they beat a ranked team all year, and they were dominated by Notre Dame.

Beat a very good San Diego St team

They're solid, but it was a very close game.

and Beat #4 Wisconsin

Big 10 team. Need I say more?

Collier11
1/3/2011, 11:14 PM
Just sayin, not like they played a pathetic schedule and with that defense they could hang with most of the Top 10 teams IMO

ouwasp
1/3/2011, 11:18 PM

I'll hate Boise like I did Arkansas after the '78 OB. When "they" quit mentioning the fluky fiesta fiasco, I'll stop hatin'...

Won't be anytime soon.:mad:

Eielson
1/3/2011, 11:25 PM
Just sayin, not like they played a pathetic schedule and with that defense they could hang with most of the Top 10 teams IMO

All in all, it's a pretty solid schedule for a non-BCS conference, and I'm confident they would've won the Big East, and could've even won the Big 10. I'm just amazed that people could be talking National Champs.

bluedogok
1/3/2011, 11:27 PM
THIS. What did TCU do of significance in the last 30+ plus years of the SWC? Nothing. They couldn't compete with the Horns, Aggies, or even Razorbacks and eventually ended up in C-USA where they were the big dog.
What did OU do in the final days of the Big 8? Bad hires can set any program back, TCU had a stretch of marginal to bad hires during that period.

They won a bunch in the SWC until 1959, and every coach from 1967 until Coach Fran had a losing record, some of them bad, bad records. They evidently didn't do it the same way that many teams did in the 70-80's like SMU, if they did they sucked at it. A string of poor admins making bad hires has more to do with it than just being TCU.