PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice regarding Univ of Phoenix Stadium

NewAZTiger
1/2/2011, 05:39 PM
Hey guys, congrats on your win...

I'm going to the BCS MNC game next week and was wondering if I could get any advice regarding your experiences pre/post game for Univ of Phoenix stadium.

Soonerfan88
1/2/2011, 07:09 PM
Take a jacket or wear layers. It can be cool even inside. North of the stadium is the Westgate City Center with a Fox Sports Grill and other places if you aren't able to tailgate. I definitely don't recommend the Fiesta Tailgate Party.

For the NCG, I would try to arrive somewhat early to be safe on parking. Yes, they sell passes but I wouldn't be surprised if they oversold. Don't expect to leave right away. Although they have good traffic control, their will be a lot of folks all trying to leave at one time.

bluesmagoo
1/2/2011, 07:19 PM
I agree with the above. Try and get a parking pass. I had green, and it was beside the stadium. It was cold in Phoenix, about 45 degrees, and the air conditioner was on in the stadium, so dress warm. They have the parking and driving in and out down pat. Go west on Glendale, turn left (south) on 91st street and that takes you right to the parking. Yeah, leave early. I got there 2 hours early and parking was good, and entering the stadium was easy. I stayed at the Sheraton on Dunlap street, easy to get to the stadium. Avoided the interstate which will be packed; went west on Dunlap which becomes Olive, turn left (south) on 67th, go down 67th to Glendale and turn right onto Glendale, and as above. The desk clerk told me to avoid going to Glendale from the interstate as there is construction on Glendale before the 67th st. intersection. Easy.

rekamrettuB
1/2/2011, 07:31 PM
I'm still waiting for the University of Phoenix to actually play there.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/2/2011, 09:03 PM
Hey guys, congrats on your win...

I'm going to the BCS MNC game next week and was wondering if I could get any advice regarding your experiences pre/post game for Univ of Phoenix stadium.

Get as much of your money converted to $1 bills as you can.

'Cause if Aubie wins your QB is going to expect all of you fans to "make it rain."

:D

jumperstop
1/2/2011, 09:28 PM
I don't think they had the air conditioning on but they don't have a heater. I guess no need, but it felt dumb wearing my hoodie and stocking cap inside.

Soonermagik
1/2/2011, 10:07 PM
Just take a hoodie, because it gets a little cool inside. Plus, you're in a desert and it will be cold when you walk back to your car.

Sooner_Tuf
1/2/2011, 10:12 PM
I thought it was something like 62° on the field at kickoff during the Fiesta Bowl.

fadada1
1/2/2011, 10:13 PM
I'm still waiting for the University of Phoenix to actually play there.
k-state is playing them next year as part of their rebuilt non-conference schedule. alabama will claim their 412th national championship after they meet them later in the season.

SoonerMom2
1/2/2011, 11:57 PM
That stadium with the extremely small video scoreboard was really cold last night as we sat in Section 135 and the draft was cold. Restrooms were even colder. Walking back to the SUV was even colder than that. Westgate is a great place to eat except some of the places thought it was summer and kept their doors open. Movie theater was warm. Don't know when I have been that cold. Should have brought a warmer coat to the game.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/3/2011, 02:30 AM
I'm still waiting for the University of Phoenix to actually play there.I heard they spent beaucoup bucks to get their name on the stadium.

cmoneyou
1/3/2011, 05:35 AM
We got to the stadium about 2.5 hours before kick off and we came up on the interstate from the south side with no problems, no traffic at all. We called about a parking pass and they told us we could just pay the same amount for cash parking as what we could buy and the only time they have filled up was the national championship, so try to buy a pass. We parked in blue lot east of the hockey arena and we got out without much waiting, but we did stay through the post game ceremony.

SC Sooner
1/3/2011, 09:01 AM
I heard they spent beaucoup bucks to get their name on the stadium.

Yes, it was a close fight for naming rights, Pink Taco actually offered more money, but the City of Glendale just couldn't/wouldn't pull the trigger on them.

As far as pregame activities - I'd suggest the Westgate Center which is very close to the stadium, many bars/restaurants located there. Easy walking distance. As everyone else said, you should really try to get a parking pass, but there should be plenty of parking you can pay when you get there, but it will be much slower. If you try to use Westgate parking to get out of paying, be careful, they will tow you if you get in the wrong areas.

sooner518
1/3/2011, 09:34 AM
there arent many ATMs in and around the stadium, so be sure to stop by a bank branch on the way to the player's entrance. or better yet, just stop by the team hotel the night before and slip a cashier's check under the door. Cecil stays under the name "Slappy White". Call the hotel and they'll tell you the room number

Jason
1/3/2011, 09:37 AM
Make sure Scam Newton gets his bonus money before kickoff.

rekamrettuB
1/3/2011, 09:54 AM
there arent many ATMs in and around the stadium, so be sure to stop by a bank branch on the way to the player's entrance. or better yet, just stop by the team hotel the night before and slip a cashier's check under the door. Cecil stays under the name "Slappy White". Call the hotel and they'll tell you the room number

Nice Sein reference.

yermom
1/3/2011, 10:07 AM
Green parking was awesome. Traffic will be worse, I'd guess, it was very light about 3 hours before the game from Tempe to the stadium.

In the past, I've parked at that school on 91st, I don't remember having to pay, but it was a bit of a hike.

It was pretty drafty and cold in there, but I'd guess it will be warmer in a week. It was abnormally cold this time.

OUthunder
1/3/2011, 01:08 PM
Green parking was awesome. Traffic will be worse, I'd guess, it was very light about 3 hours before the game from Tempe to the stadium.

In the past, I've parked at that school on 91st, I don't remember having to pay, but it was a bit of a hike.

It was pretty drafty and cold in there, but I'd guess it will be warmer in a week. It was abnormally cold this time.

You're welcome!

OUthunder
1/3/2011, 01:17 PM
1st off the Stadium is nice, but definitely not as nice as Owen Field. No stats, no heat, and I never did see anyone selling a program inside the building. Saw a guy selling em outside the gates but passed because I was freezing my *** off in shorts. Then when we go inside, froze my *** off while watching the game.

Bring pants or sweats! If you don't rent a car, be prepared to get a cab. If you hotel is within a few miles of the stadium a cab ride will cost you around $11 with tip.

Expect to pay $40 for a ****ing t-shirt in the stadium!!!! I said no way and saw the exact same shirt at the airport in Phoenix for $15!!!

Beer and wine will cost you about $8 per. I walked a little further and found a better selection of beers than Bud and Coors for the same price. I found a concession that sold Flat Tire on tap and enjoyed it, even though it was pricey.

The best thing about the stadium IMHO was the escalators!!! I wish that Owen Field would incorporate these some day soon. Easy to get to your seat where ever you sit.

The scoreboards suck and expect a small pack of new Artisian Tostitos chips taped to your cold *** seat when you arrive.

Personally, Glendale is nice, but we spent the day in Scottsdale and it was sweeeeeet! The Fiesta tailgate sucked major assage. This place does not deserve a BCS bowl IMHO, because the stadium is decent at best. I hope that your halftime show is better than ours was. You'll probably get the Eagle flying pregame. Hope for temps in the 60's, cuz it was frigid walking a mile to get a cab.

SoonerFaninAZ
1/3/2011, 02:16 PM
Don't pay a penny for parking. Park in one of the restaurant lots NW of the stadium near the theater for free. Of course, they'll ask that you eat there, but Gordon Biersch is decent enough pregame fare. There's a Mexican restaurant next door that I can't vouch for.

OUthunder
1/3/2011, 03:19 PM
Don't eat at the Yard House...the food there was terrible. The 150 beers on tap though, were good. Ruining nachos is hard, but this place found a way to do it, and do it very well, lol.

I recommend Fox Sports Grille. Food was excellent and the surroundings very nice for a sports bar.