PDA

View Full Version : season roundup with Stoops

cantwait48
1/2/2011, 04:29 PM
Season roundup with Bob Stoops
Posted by Jake Trotter
on January 2, 2011M at 11:41 am

OU coach Bob Stoops met with a small group of reporters Sunday morning to recap the Fiesta Bowl, tie a bow on the the 2010 season and look ahead to 2011.

Here’s a summary of what was discussed:

* The odd-man, 50-front defense is something the Sooners will consider using a lot next season. Stoops reminded everyone what a “gamble” that was to go to the 50 the week of Oklahoma State. The first day, he said, it looked good. Then the second, it looked even better. But because that was in practice, Stoops and Brent Venables weren’t quite sure how well it would work in a game. Suffice to say, it worked wonderfully.

* Stoops couldn’t say enough about Cameron Kenney, noting he’s never had a player “emerge” like that in the final weeks of the season. Kenney entered the regular season finale with 14 catches on the year, and finished with 33. Kenney was big again in the Fiesta Bowl, with seven catches, 154 yards and a 59-yard TD, which was the third longest catch in OU bowl history.

* Defensive end Ronnell Lewis remains in a Phoenix area hospital this morning. Lewis, who was carted off the field on a stretcher, suffered a similar neck injury to what Brody Eldridge did last year. “He should be able to recover,” Stoops said, “but it’s going to take some time.”

* The issue that’s been plaguing defensive tackle Daniel Noble has been a concussion he suffered early on in the season. Noble has had lingering issues, which has alarmed the OU medical staff. “I think he’ll be OK,” Stoops said, “but I don’t know.” If Noble is able to continue with football, Stoops said he didn’t think Noble would qualify for a medical redshirt this season.

* Fullback Trey Millard was not used much against UConn, but Stoops said that won’t be a sign of things to come in 2011 with Josh Heupel calling plays. “It better not be,” Stoops said.

* Stoops is advising Ryan Broyles to return for his senior season. His reasons: the uncertainty with the collective bargaining agreement, the fact WRs rarely get taken in the first round, and what OU could accomplish in 2011. Stoops hasn’t gotten back Broyles’ grade from the NFL Draft advisory committee, but a former member of that committee told me this week that Broyles would probably grade out as a “late second round pick.” Stoops said Broyles has always done well academically, and is close to getting his degree. “It’s got to be his choice,” Stoops said. “But he’ll be smart about it.”

* Running back Mossis Madu suffered a slight knee sprain, and will miss a few weeks of training for the NFL Draft, if he tries to go that route.

* Both wideout Dejuan Miller and running back Roy Finch are doing well in their recoveries. Miller, who tore his ACL, could be back for spring drills.

* The Sooners are expecting some attrition, but Stoops wouldn’t say from where. On paper, OU has more than 85 scholarships accounted for, but Stoops said attrition will make the numbers work out.

Check out tomorrow’s Oklahoman for more from Stoops.

http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2011/01/02/season-roundup-with-bob-stoops/

swardboy
1/2/2011, 04:34 PM
Whoa Josh, Coach wants more Millard.

I pray that RB listens to Stoops.

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 04:44 PM
So Ronnell's injury has a bit worse than we thought.

God Speed Ronnell

goingoneight
1/2/2011, 04:50 PM
DeJuan Miller's injury was supposedly a meniscus before, now it's an ACL? At least recovery's going well, whatever the case.

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 04:55 PM
DeJuan Miller's injury was supposedly a meniscus before, now it's an ACL? At least recovery's going well, whatever the case.

I'm still not sure what all they fixed in mine a few years ago....but one thing is for sure....I remember it being a bigger deal than what the doctor said it would be. It didn't suck like my rotator did but it damn sure was memorable.

goingoneight
1/2/2011, 05:01 PM
There is a difference between the two. A meniscus can be fixed and you can return quickly like Blake Griffin did. Not always, but you can. An ACL is usually game over, season over. Like, play again and your knee could bend the wrong way-over.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2011, 05:07 PM
I figured something the med staff saw with R. Lewis triggered more concern than a mild concussion. Fingers crossed he comes back 100%.

FirstandGoal
1/2/2011, 08:39 PM
Nice recap on the injury situations. God speed Ronnell, on your recovery