PDA

View Full Version : Uconn's Randy Edsall Is Gone To Maryland

Okie35
1/2/2011, 02:20 PM
http://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/21642182238666752

http://i51.tinypic.com/t8b81z.png

Randy Edsall, who built a fledgling Connecticut program into a Big East champion and BCS bowl team, has been hired by Maryland to succeed Ralph Friedgen, sources told ESPN's Joe Schad on Sunday.

Edsall, whose team lost to Oklahoma in Saturday night's Tostistos Fiesta Bowl, did not return Sunday to Connecticut on the UConn charter flight.

Instead, said ESPN.com sources, he and his family were to fly from Phoenix to Maryland to meet with Terrapin school officials.

Meanwhile, an ESPN.com source also said there is a possibility of a 6 p.m. team meeting at Maryland.

Former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach had been considered a leading candidate for the Maryland opening.

Instead, Maryland targeted the well-regarded Edsall, who in his 12 seasons at Storrs led UConn from Football Bowl Subdivision infancy in 2002 to a league championship and a BCS bowl in 2010.

Friedgen was forced out of Maryland in December after being named ACC coach of the year.

The final game of Friedgen's 10-year head coaching career at his alma mater was a Dec. 29 victory in the Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman against East Carolina.

Earlier Sunday, when contacted by text message by ESPN.com, Edsall indicated that an agreement had not yet been finalized with Maryland. Asked if it were "a done deal," Edsall texted, "That is not the case."

UConn athletic director Jeff Hathaway was asked Saturday night about the likelihood of Edsall leaving Connecticut for Maryland.

"I think Randy is going to be at the University of Connecticut," he told ESPN.com's Ted Miller. "I think he's here and this is his focus."

Hathaway wouldn't elaborate when asked if Maryland talked with Edsall.

"I focus on who's at our place," Hathaway said. "Randy is at our place. I think that's where we are."

Asked if Edsall would remain at UConn rather than become Maryland's next coach, Hathaway paused and said, "I think Randy Edsall is at the University of Connecticut."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5981463

WOW he went straight to Maryland lol

Jacie
1/2/2011, 02:23 PM

Bam! Women's BBall team winning streak comes to an end.

Bam! Drubbed in the Fiesta Bowl.

Bam! Lose coach the next day.

What week for the panting canine fans!

sooner59
1/2/2011, 02:23 PM
Well, so much for that program. He was their only constant and he brought them to where they are. They will struggle to be bowl eligible next year, IMO.

MsProudSooner2
1/2/2011, 02:24 PM

Had his name even been brought up? If not, good job by him and Maryland keeping it close to the vest.

sooner59
1/2/2011, 02:24 PM
Leach to Pitt now?

Okie35
1/2/2011, 02:27 PM
Well, so much for that program. He was their only constant and he brought them to where they are. They will struggle to be bowl eligible next year, IMO.

True their "all world" RB Todman is going to the NFL too.

stoopified
1/2/2011, 02:29 PM
True their "all world RB Todman is going to the NFL too.If he wasn't before,he sure as hell will now.

Okie35
1/2/2011, 02:31 PM
Had his name even been brought up? If not, good job by him and Maryland keeping it close to the vest.

Nope not to Maryland it was brought up a lot for the Miami job when it was vacant.

Okie35
1/2/2011, 02:31 PM
If he wasn't before,he sure as hell will now.

He said immediately after the game he'll go into the draft.

SoonerNutt
1/2/2011, 02:32 PM
Not to pile on, but it struck me last night when one of the commentators said something to the effect that this game was a "step" forward for UConn, as if to say they were going on to even greater heights in the future based on this amazing accomplishment.

Give them credit. They won their conference.

But be serious. This was a high as they'll ever get. They were 8-4 with an incredibly weak schedule, and all of their losses vs. unranked teams. The 2nd place team in their conference was so embarrassed to be behind them that they are replacing their coach.

Plus, they are not a young team, as the TV guys were saying last night. Their superstar RB will leave early. Their QB is a Sr.. Their lineup is loaded with Seniors. And their coach is gone, which means they will likely take a huge hit to this year's recuiting class.

And the biggie. In 2 years, TCU is going to show up in their conference. With TCU and WV, how can anyone expect UConn to ever win that conference again. There won't likely be another BCS bowl for these guys for a long, long time.

Okie35
1/2/2011, 02:34 PM
Not to pile on, but it struck me last night when one of the commentators said something to the effect that this game was a "step" forward for UConn, as if to say they were going on to even greater heights in the future based on this amazing accomplishment.

Give them credit. They won their conference.

But be serious. This was a high as they'll ever get. They were 8-4 with an incredibly weak schedule, and all of their losses vs. unranked teams. The 2nd place team in their conference was so embarrassed to be behind them that they are replacing their coach.

Plus, they are not a young team, as the TV guys were saying last night. Their superstar RB will leave early. Their QB is a Sr.. Their lineup is loaded with Seniors. And their coach is gone, which means they will likely take a huge hit to this year's recuiting class.

And the biggie. In 2 years, TCU is going to show up in their conference. With TCU and WV, how can anyone expect UConn to ever win that conference again. There won't likely be another BCS bowl for these guys for a long, long time.

Good points, I agree w/ all of it.

BulverdeSooner
1/2/2011, 02:35 PM
Hope UCONN can find someone half as good...Edsall is a class act & damn good coach.

instigator
1/2/2011, 02:36 PM
That is surprising. Who did he turn down last year or the year before? Seems like it was a bigger school that Maryland. I thought if he was going to leave it would have been then.

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 02:37 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/9/9/c820b48a-5fc5-4361-898c-59775ea41ba6.jpg

bigfatjerk
1/2/2011, 02:40 PM
Mike Leach to UConn

Okie35
1/2/2011, 02:40 PM
That is surprising. Who did he turn down last year or the year before? Seems like it was a bigger school that Maryland. I thought if he was going to leave it would have been then.

I just posted the article from ESPN him and his family flew from straight from Phoenix to Maryland. He already had it planned it seems.

sooner59
1/2/2011, 02:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5981463

Randy Edsall, who built a fledgling Connecticut program into a Big East champion and BCS bowl team, has been hired by Maryland to succeed Ralph Friedgen, sources told ESPN's Joe Schad on Sunday.

Edsall, whose team lost to Oklahoma in Saturday night's Tostistos Fiesta Bowl, did not return Sunday to Connecticut on the UConn charter flight.

Instead, said ESPN.com sources, he and his family were to fly from Phoenix to Maryland to meet with Terrapin school officials.

Meanwhile, an ESPN.com source also said there is a possibility of a 6 p.m. team meeting at Maryland.

Former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach had been considered a leading candidate for the Maryland opening.

Instead, Maryland targeted the well-regarded Edsall, who in his 12 seasons at Storrs led UConn from Football Bowl Subdivision infancy in 2002 to a league championship and a BCS bowl in 2010.

Friedgen was forced out of Maryland in December after being named ACC coach of the year.

The final game of Friedgen's 10-year head coaching career at his alma mater was a Dec. 29 victory in the Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman against East Carolina.

Earlier Sunday, when contacted by text message by ESPN.com, Edsall indicated that an agreement had not yet been finalized with Maryland. Asked if it were "a done deal," Edsall texted, "That is not the case."

UConn athletic director Jeff Hathaway was asked Saturday night about the likelihood of Edsall leaving Connecticut for Maryland.

"I think Randy is going to be at the University of Connecticut," he told ESPN.com's Ted Miller. "I think he's here and this is his focus."

Hathaway wouldn't elaborate when asked if Maryland talked with Edsall.

"I focus on who's at our place," Hathaway said. "Randy is at our place. I think that's where we are."

Asked if Edsall would remain at UConn rather than become Maryland's next coach, Hathaway paused and said, "I think Randy Edsall is at the University of Connecticut."

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 02:49 PM
I hope that's the case. He built up an impressive program that he can call his own. Leaving for MD isn't a great improvement IMO

sooner59
1/2/2011, 02:52 PM
True, but he will have some better talent to work with at an ACC program like Maryland most likely. If he does well there, he will have bigger programs knocking on his door.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2011, 02:53 PM
Edall will have some big pants to fill at Maryland.

sooner59
1/2/2011, 02:53 PM

I see what you did there. :cool:

No1Better
1/2/2011, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't work for that AD if it was the last job on earth. Same is true for the AD at Pitt - the notorious Steve Pedersen (genius who had the helm at Nebraska and hired Bill Callahan).

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 03:05 PM
True, but he will have some better talent to work with at an ACC program like Maryland most likely. If he does well there, he will have bigger programs knocking on his door.

He's been doing this for 12 years or so and still looks relatively young. I guess it might be time for him to move on and give your scenario a try. Using Maryland could help or hurt. I'd speculate that he'll not do well there and that he might have wanted to wait for a better offer and take his Dream Job if he has one. If Maryland is his dream....he sure hasn't seemed to jump all over it yet.

Bruiser53
1/2/2011, 03:09 PM
I see what you did there. :cool:

Link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/08/AR2009050802879.html)

But he worked so hard to lose those pounds!!!

Judge Smails
1/2/2011, 03:15 PM
I just posted the article from ESPN him and his family flew from straight from Phoenix to Maryland. He already had it planned it seems.

In fact, he bought supersaver tickets weeks ago.

btb916
1/2/2011, 03:29 PM
This seems like a strange move. They must be offering a lot more money?

Okie35
1/2/2011, 03:36 PM
This seems like a strange move. They must be offering a lot more money?

That and the ACC is a perceived better conference than the Big East. Also, he'll get better athletes.

Section 9
1/2/2011, 03:38 PM
What a downer for UConn players. They lose the game and their coach!

btb916
1/2/2011, 03:41 PM
That and the ACC is a perceived better conference than the Big East. Also, he'll get better athletes.

If he want to VaTech or Fla State, sure. But Maryland? I certainly don't perceive them as any different than UCONN. Guess that's just me.:cool:

Memtig14
1/2/2011, 03:47 PM

Cute!

:)

My Opinion Matters
1/2/2011, 04:04 PM
Stoops to UConn!

EstablishedSooner1967
1/2/2011, 04:58 PM
WTF.... does no one want Leach.. has he been black balled?

cleller
1/2/2011, 05:11 PM
Would be interesting to compare the facilities, etc at both schools. It was before my time, but I know we played Maryland in a couple of Orange Bowls back in the 50's. So, they've got tradition, etc.

Probably better booster support at Maryland, too. Hard to be always in the shadow of a b-ball program.

bluedogok
1/2/2011, 05:23 PM
Which conference will TCU be located in 5 years? They change conferences like people change underwear.

His personality makes him a difficult hire for most top level schools, he is better off at a program trying to make a name for themselves and with less alumni scrutiny and expectations. He just needs to learn to play politics some which he evidently didn't do at Tech. That means he probably needs to stay out of Texas because every position here is full of its own politics.

Soonerson1975
1/2/2011, 05:45 PM

He's never finished above 3rd in a division, plus he's a bit weird and has no desire to get serious about hiring coaches who can coach defense.

cvsooner
1/2/2011, 06:05 PM
And nobody wants somebody who has proven he will sue the school.

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 06:23 PM

It might be that Mike for one doesn't need the money and if he's gonna whore hisself out to some School he has no interest in....he's gonna get paid very well. I'm betting they don't like his attitude or what he's asking in a contract. He just got fired at Tech and is suing his ex-employer and ESPN. I think if you were in their shoes and you hired him and he didn't make the folks who hired you happy....you'd probably pass on giving in to his demands.

Not every School has the same thought patterns we do when it comes to Football. They might want a good team and they might want to win but we've built a Legendary Tradition with 7 National Championships and the Schools we think should hire Mike either don't have the same drive or expectations. There's no way to really tell why someone wouldn't want him as we've had him as a Coach and competed against him as Coach of another School. We think it's a no-brainer and that they are passing on an opportunity to really put their Football Team at the top of their Conference. They might not see what we see.

Okie35
1/2/2011, 06:25 PM
If he want to VaTech or Fla State, sure. But Maryland? I certainly don't perceive them as any different than UCONN. Guess that's just me.:cool:

Maryland as a football program is better than Uconn and its not even close.