PDA

View Full Version : Fiesta Bowl announcers

TUSooner
1/2/2011, 12:55 PM
I guess we've touched on everything else.
Sean McDonough and Matt Millen are a good team. I like them both. They called a good game -- not too much hyperbole, not a lot of obvious hoping for another big upset.
My only regret was that Thom Brennaman -- butt kisser of St Timmy and shameless tout of underdogs -- wasn't there to call r this convincing OU victory. Of course, if Thom were there, he probably would have made it sound like Bob Stoops and a gang of demon bullies were beating up on the last 11 Apostles, that noble and gritty bunch of UConn saints. On second thought, maybe I'm glad Brennaman wasn't there; I might have thrown something at my TV.

delhalew
1/2/2011, 01:03 PM
Were absolute **** tards for a 1000 Alex!

They really weren't THAT bad I guess.

Therealsouthsider
1/2/2011, 01:07 PM
....they were much, much better than the idiots calling the Penn St., Florida game who spent that entire broadcast rooting for Florida....they spent as much time talking about Tebow than they did the game in front of them. I don't recall our broadcast crew even mentioning Bradford

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 01:12 PM
I don't think we get much love from any of them anymore...but these guys were better than some we've had this year. I'm sure a lot of those 5 bowl comments keep coming over their teleprompters as Sean McDonough at least said "I know the Sooner Fans get tired of hearing about these 5 losses....but..."

I guess if the writers of their BS keep pounding it over the screen they have to keep throwing it out but at that point I was ready to take at least that as an apology from him. Millen grunted a bit in agreement I think.

Hopefully Wisconsin will get a bit of our steam regarding losing a game they should have won....I'm guessing since they don't get there as often as we do...that we'll still continue to hear this for some years to come when we go into these bowl....but hopefully it will be more of a "Stoops has really turned things around since that bad BCS run he had...3 straight MNCs is impressive....that's four now he's got and I guess we should have seen this coming....the guy seems to have everyone's number"

:D

Leroy Lizard
1/2/2011, 01:25 PM
I thought they did pretty well. At least they described the action on the field, unlike the announcers of the Penn State/Florida game who carried on full-blown, off-topic conversations while the game played out.

And none of them were Pam Ward.

zeke
1/2/2011, 01:34 PM
They did well.
The Fla vs Penn St announcing was a joke.

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 01:34 PM
Their coverage lacked as they got caught either not chopping down replays or running them past the snaps a lot last night. It really makes the Fans at Home experience a very frustrating thing. The hurry up offenses are to blame a bit for this but as professionals I expect the folks covering these games to do better and I'm betting Sponsors do too.

ouwasp
1/2/2011, 01:45 PM
I thought the announcers did fine...of course I watched 90% of the game on "Mute"...:)

yankee
1/2/2011, 01:49 PM
When I saw that Sean McDonough was going to announce the game, I was happy. He's definitely my favorite TV play-by-play guy ESPN has. He gets so excited when big plays happen, it's pretty funny. Mushberger puts me to sleep whenever I'm not throwing up from his crappy announcing.

Could have done without Matt Millen, but oh well...

Bourbon St Sooner
1/2/2011, 02:47 PM
Was every UCONN player a great pro prospect according to Matt Millen? I can't understand why that guy didn't succeed as a GM.

Piware
1/2/2011, 02:58 PM
I was glad we got the B Team last night. Mush Brentberger and little Herbie covered the Rose Bowl and didn't have the opportunity to screw our game up.

fadada1
1/2/2011, 03:03 PM
as soon as the rose bowl came on, i thanked tim tebow for the promise of a decent game to watch in the fiesta bowl. listening to musburger makes me want to pull my nuts over a cheese grater in hopes of catching skin in those sharp little openings.

Crucifax Autumn
1/2/2011, 03:11 PM
Millen was drunk.

2121Sooner
1/2/2011, 03:14 PM
The only thing Millen sucks at more than being an announcer is being an NFL GM

Seamus
1/2/2011, 03:28 PM
And none of them were Pam Ward.

Turnip >>> Pam Ward.

delhalew
1/2/2011, 03:30 PM
Millen was drunk.

lmao. I believe this.

Scott D
1/2/2011, 03:35 PM
Seriously, don't forget Heather Cox and her nice tight stretchy pants ;)

and TU, Brennaman would have filled the space between plays wistfully reminiscing on the days that he was trying to get St. Timothy to place his penis in his mouth.

Leroy Lizard
1/2/2011, 04:04 PM
Turnip >>> Pam Ward.

Someone out there besides Donna Shalala likes Pam Ward. Not sure who, but it make for a fascinating search. Is Ellery Queen available?

rekamrettuB
1/2/2011, 04:35 PM
I thought they did decent...until the injury to Fleming (?) and they never broke away from Todman's guardians. And then at the same time Lewis is being strapped to a stretcher and they have zero clue of why. Now the Lewis injury upon review some 20 minutes later would have been pretty difficult to see anyway.

goingoneight
1/2/2011, 04:52 PM
How does Sean McDonough have a job calling a game? His voice could put you to sleep in a 50-point shootout for the National Championship. I could see him on sportscenter or as an anchor, but calling a game? Snoooooooooze.

soonerinkaty
1/2/2011, 05:09 PM
I thought they were turrible.

My Opinion Matters
1/2/2011, 05:41 PM
I thought they were turrible.

Agreed. Matt Millen is terrible at everything except finding jobs.

SoonerKnight
1/2/2011, 05:57 PM
The #D play by play guys sucked. The game was really cool in 3D.

sooner518
1/2/2011, 06:07 PM
i thought it was fine. i thought Millen was actually brutally honest in basically calling the UConn receivers terrible and praising the talent of our guys.

Leroyt
1/2/2011, 07:36 PM
Every time I see Millen calling a game, I can't stop thinking "this guy has proven that he doesn't know football." No question he was a decent player, but his gm career was such an abysmal failure...

Leroy Lizard
1/2/2011, 07:47 PM
Every time I see Millen calling a game, I can't stop thinking "this guy has proven that he doesn't know football."

But we do, right?

Sabanball
1/2/2011, 08:12 PM
I really seem to enjoy McDonough better calling NFL games, he just sounds like he's out of his element to me when he's doing college contests. He's too professorial-sounding and unemotional.

ouwasp
1/2/2011, 08:16 PM
But we do, right?

heh.....I kmow what you're saying....but it's prolly arguable many of us couldn't do worse as a GM... :eek:

soonerboy_odanorth
1/2/2011, 09:21 PM
I guess we've touched on everything else.
Sean McDonough and Matt Millen are a good team. I like them both. They called a good game -- not too much hyperbole, not a lot of obvious hoping for another big upset.

I like them for NFL games. But the hyper-critical or acerbic bent (as noted in the Oklahoman) that serves them well in NFL broadcasts I think was a bad fit for this game. They were getting under my skin a bit. I wanted to shout through the TV in their ears "college kids!" a couple of times.

But for Millen, it is too bad he wasted those years with the Lions. He is very good in the booth. Knowing what he went through, I wonder if he had it to do over again if he would take that job or stay in what clearly is his comfort zone.

Leroyt
1/2/2011, 09:35 PM
But we do, right?

Not a chance, but at least we haven't proven it in a tangible way.