PDA

View Full Version : Getting to NCG Vs Winning BCS Bowls

5thYearSooner
1/2/2011, 12:14 PM
Going to NCG gives us a shot at what we set out for every year. Winning BCS bowl is good but its just another win. I dont see why some people are making a big deal about Bob's 5 straight BCS losses vs 3 NCG + 2 Bowl Losses comments.

tulsaoilerfan
1/2/2011, 12:22 PM
I don't understand why the media is all over OU's asses but Ohio State gets a free pass;how many BCS games has Tressel lost? I know they lost 2 title games under him

MI Sooner
1/2/2011, 12:38 PM
Think tressel is 5-3 in bcs games. Lost to Texas in fiesta and 2 title games. Beat Miami, KSU, ND, oregon, and one other I'm missing.

slh1234
1/2/2011, 12:41 PM
This next year, the way it's going to be said over and over is that OU finally broke its 5 game BCS skid, or finally won a BCS bowl game. That's the way it sounds like the bigger story if you're on the side of a media outlet. I think it's going to be another very long year (even coming off a win) for the people who let that sort of thing irritate them.

Okie35
1/2/2011, 01:04 PM
I don't understand why the media is all over OU's asses but Ohio State gets a free pass;how many BCS games has Tressel lost? I know they lost 2 title games under him

They've actually been worse than us in BCS title games. The thing is that we've only went to more. They've gotten blown out 2 years in a row in title games.

soonervegas
1/2/2011, 01:06 PM
Win about 3 or 4 in a row to shut them up.

delhalew
1/2/2011, 01:08 PM
I prefer to play for it all, but a win is nice.

People like to say that it doesn't matter what the rest of the country thinks of us. Unfortunately, that's not true. So I'm glad we got a win to help quiet the peanut gallery.

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 01:31 PM
You're gonna get a lot of attention when you're there in the hunt every year. Just look at how outraged the National Media was when we appeared as BCS#1 this year. Folks were ****ting themselves over it and rooting for Mizzou to knock us off. It would have been nice to win that one and IMO we should have....but it didn't happen. I'm more upset about losing that one and tamu than I am our BCS record. The losses took us out of the limelight and the cockroach fans who don't come close to having a historical record such as ours started piling on about how they were gonna put us where we belong. Many of them went to lesser bowls and one of them sat at Home this year wondering WTH happened to their Team. We've won two bowl games in a row with Landry Jones at the helm and we're gonna get a nice beginning spot in the polls next year I'm sure. Winning next year and gettin it done on the Road...protecting the Home Streak should be expected by all of us Fans. This is the one we've been waiting on since the last three attempts at a MNC. Hold on tight and get ready for a ride. This lull between Seasons this year will be one I'll be excited about until we stick our fingers in the air and yell "Oooooooooooo" and watch the first football of the year take off...

Congrats to our 2011 Team....just an awesome ending to a year of struggles and controversy. They should hold this one high in the air....8-5 to 12-2....we're on our way again...

BOOMER SOONER ! ! !

GDC
1/2/2011, 05:47 PM
Stoops is now 6-6 overall in bowls. Just for comparison, Switzer was 8-5 and had a couple of seasons in which his teams didn't go to a bowl game. Those numbers are not that different. If I were not so lazy I would look up the bowl records of some other great coaches.

slh1234
1/2/2011, 06:07 PM
Stoops is now 6-6 overall in bowls. Just for comparison, Switzer was 8-5 and had a couple of seasons in which his teams didn't go to a bowl game. Those numbers are not that different. If I were not so lazy I would look up the bowl records of some other great coaches.

Add one thing to that: Switzer was pre-BCS, so when the Sooners won the Big 8 in those days, it was just a trip to the Orange Bowl against an at-large opponent. If they were ranked #1 or #2, there was no paring for an NC game. And if there really wasn't anything in place to ensure they were playing against another quality opponent. In fact, they could be pretty sure their opponent would not be a team that had won their conference championship. One case in point was the year he won his second NC game, he played a Michigan team that had just lost to Ohio State. The Sooners NC depended on UCLA beating Ohio State in the Rose Bowl.

My point is that I think it is a little harder for a top tier team to have the kind of bowl record in the BCS era as Switzer was able to have prior to the BCS system.

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 06:30 PM
Add one thing to that: Switzer was pre-BCS, so when the Sooners won the Big 8 in those days, it was just a trip to the Orange Bowl against an at-large opponent. If they were ranked #1 or #2, there was no paring for an NC game. And if there really wasn't anything in place to ensure they were playing against another quality opponent. In fact, they could be pretty sure their opponent would not be a team that had won their conference championship. One case in point was the year he won his second NC game, he played a Michigan team that had just lost to Ohio State. The Sooners NC depended on UCLA beating Ohio State in the Rose Bowl.

My point is that I think it is a little harder for a top tier team to have the kind of bowl record in the BCS era as Switzer was able to have prior to the BCS system.

Sounds like a playoff off system...lol

SunnySooner
1/2/2011, 06:38 PM
I think Tom Osborne AND Bear Bryant had 8 or 9 game bowl losing streaks. I'm 98% sure I read that somewhere.

ouwasp
1/2/2011, 06:39 PM
Time and winning will take care of any BCS perception, esp winning. Next yr the media will be saying 1-5 in OUr last 6 BCS games...

Kinda like the poke fans (and media) were some yrs ago when they won in 01-02, then hooked those wins to their few in the Dark 90s and made it sound like a trend...you don't hear that anymore, right? Time and winning...

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 06:45 PM
I think Tom Osborne AND Bear Bryant had 8 or 9 game bowl losing streaks. I'm 98% sure I read that somewhere.

We have Fans that would tried to run Bob out of Town if he'd gotten us to the Sun Bowl this year. It's amazing :mack: still has an office

Leroy Lizard
1/2/2011, 06:57 PM

Check out Switzer's competition in his bowl games sometime.

CU Sooner
1/2/2011, 10:09 PM

Not really a good point as Michigan was ranked #4 at that time.

Soonermagik
1/2/2011, 10:13 PM
Winning a BCS game is huge. For starters, you had to be the champion of your conference to get there. Then if you win, you had to beat the champion of another conference... that's pretty special.

Remember, there will only be 5 teams in one season who can win a BCS game. Getting to and winning a BCS game is not easy.

pappy
1/2/2011, 11:35 PM
Winning a BCS game is huge. For starters, you had to be the champion of your conference to get there. Then if you win, you had to beat the champion of another conference... that's pretty special.

Remember, there will only be 5 teams in one season who can win a BCS game. Getting to and winning a BCS game is not easy.

the part in bold isn't necessarily true. feel free to see that stanford, arkansas, ohio state this year didn't win their conference...arkansas didn't even win their division in their conference.

pappy
1/2/2011, 11:36 PM
Going to NCG gives us a shot at what we set out for every year. Winning BCS bowl is good but its just another win. I dont see why some people are making a big deal about Bob's 5 straight BCS losses vs 3 NCG + 2 Bowl Losses comments.

Losses are losses no matter how you word it.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2011, 12:06 AM
Losses are losses no matter how you word it.

And wins are wins. So why isn't OU being credited for its BCS bowl win?

It seems that OU detractors (such as you, for example) want to have it both ways: If OU loses, the quality of its opponent makes no difference. If it wins, however, the win doesn't count because it was UConn.

Not really a good point as Michigan was ranked #4 at that time.

Switzer's opponents were almost all highly ranked. Not only that Michigan team, but consider that the Florida State teams, Nebraska, Miami, Penn State, Washington, even Arkansas, were all Top-10 teams.

Okie35
1/3/2011, 12:35 AM

Saban is 6-6 in bowls.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/3/2011, 12:56 AM
This next year, the way it's going to be said over and over is that OU finally broke its 5 game BCS skid, or finally won a BCS bowl game. That's the way it sounds like the bigger story if you're on the side of a media outlet. I think it's going to be another very long year (even coming off a win) for the people who let that sort of thing irritate them.College football has basically 2 types of fans: Sooner Fans, and Sooner Haters. The number of Sooner Neutral fans appears pretty slim, to me.

SC Sooner
1/3/2011, 09:17 AM

It's because they (read ESPN mostly) "made" Big Game Bob, and then when he didn't kiss their posteriors, they began to distance themselves from him. After losing games they "should have" won, the snowball began to gather momentum. Even now, read the articles from some of those "in the know" a$$hats and this wasn't really so much of a win as it was a mismatch. As I and many others said when the matchup was announced, this was a NO WIN BCS game for us, no matter how we played, it wouldn't be good enough for some of the national media, based on our opponent.

King Barry's Back
1/3/2011, 10:33 AM
Think tressel is 5-3 in bcs games. Lost to Texas in fiesta and 2 title games. Beat Miami, KSU, ND, oregon, and one other I'm missing.

No game against KSU should count as a major victory.

King Barry's Back
1/3/2011, 10:37 AM
This next year, the way it's going to be said over and over is that OU finally broke its 5 game BCS skid, or finally won a BCS bowl game. That's the way it sounds like the bigger story if you're on the side of a media outlet. I think it's going to be another very long year (even coming off a win) for the people who let that sort of thing irritate them.

Yeah, I don't think the media's monkey is really off of our backs yet.

Next year, the story will be "OU is only 1-5 in it's last six BCS bowls."

Assuming we go to a BCS Bowl next year, and assuming we win it, thought, we'll see a new situation.

We'll be riding a three-straight streak in bowl games, a two-straight streak in BCS Bowl games, and Stoops will have a winning record (7-6) in bowl games overall.

Also, we'll be a respectable 4-5 in BCS bowl games all time.

That would go a long way to putting our ghosts to bed. Hope it happens.

King Barry's Back
1/3/2011, 10:41 AM

Good observation. Plus, with scholarship limitations, the talent differential between the true big dogs (like OU) and the rest of the also-rans is much closer today.

King Barry's Back
1/3/2011, 10:43 AM
It's because they (read ESPN mostly) "made" Big Game Bob, and then when he didn't kiss their posteriors, they began to distance themselves from him. After losing games they "should have" won, the snowball began to gather momentum. Even now, read the articles from some of those "in the know" a$$hats and this wasn't really so much of a win as it was a mismatch. As I and many others said when the matchup was announced, this was a NO WIN BCS game for us, no matter how we played, it wouldn't be good enough for some of the national media, based on our opponent.

Much better to WIN a no-win game than to lose it. I am in a much better mood now than I was after the Boise catastrophe.

In the end, you can whine about the opponent, or you can beat them. You can't always do both. (I am talking to you Nebraska Cornhuskers.)

yermom
1/4/2011, 12:23 PM
it was nice to win the Fiesta Bowl finally, but i enjoyed the Sun Bowl and the Holiday Bowl more...

and i didn't really feel cheated leaving the LSU, Florida or Boise games (the other two though, ugh)

so now, we have gone .500 in non-championship BCS games and .250 in championship games

as the title of the thread mentions, i'd still rather have a title run season with a 1/4 chance to win, than just winning the conference and playing in a BCS game with a higher chance to win, even if we were 1.000 in those games

i don't want to downplay what the team did this season, but playing in the national championship game is special, win or lose, it's very tough to get there

SoonerFaninAZ
1/4/2011, 12:25 PM
i don't want to downplay what the team did this season, but playing in the national championship game is special, win or lose, it's very tough to get there

Yep. I'd rather be 1-3 in BCSNC games than 1-0.