PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the game

Widescreen
1/2/2011, 11:33 AM
My admittedly amateurish analysis:

Pros:
1) Landry Jones - fantastic game. Not perfect but pretty close. That pick-6 would've put him in a funk even earlier this year.
2) I guess we can win away from Norman. :D
3) Oh Cameron Kenney. Why couldn't you have played like an all-american all year?
4) Ryan Broyles catches anything within reach. I sure hope he comes back next year (for obviously selfish reasons). If he doesn't, good luck in the NFL and thanks for the memories.
5) Only 1 penalty for 3 yards? Compare that to last year's OL that couldn't get through a series without a hold/false start. Very impressive improvement. Yes, I know other stuff could've been called but that's true every game.
6) Our freshman class is remarkable.
7) Solid rookie outing by Heupel. For the most part, he mixed it up pretty well.
8) Two pick-6's? Greatness. And we could've had one more.

Cons:
1) Pass rush? It's a good thing their passing game isn't worth much because Frazer had a ton of time to throw.
2) Red zone problems continue although maybe not as severe as in some games this season.
3) Running game still fairly anemic. Not sure why this continues to be a problem but I hope we can get it fixed before next season.
4) Special teams. Ugh. We are giving up a bunch of TD's on kickoffs and rarely get one of our own. I thought we had corrected this in 2009 after a bad 2008. I guess not.

It was a fun game to watch. Now comes the long 9 month wait. :(

bigfatjerk
1/2/2011, 11:54 AM
It's about a 4 month wait first. We have a spring game coming up first.

OhU1
1/2/2011, 11:58 AM
Uneven game for sure. OU was like a cat playing with a mouse and holding off on the kill to prolong the play. A recurring trend is we have to spot the opponent an early game pick 6 and a kick off return for a TD sometime during the game. I don't even get upset at these anymore because it just seems like part of our game. We have to keep it interesting.

Leroy Lizard
1/2/2011, 12:01 PM
Uneven game for sure. OU was like a cat playing with a mouse and holding off on the kill to prolong the play.

I think the cat was trying to kill the mouse but the mouse just wasn't dying.

oumartin
1/2/2011, 12:05 PM
like anyone cares what Widescreen has to say. ;)

OUmillenium
1/2/2011, 12:08 PM
Uneven game for sure. OU was like a cat playing with a mouse and holding off on the kill to prolong the play. A recurring trend is we have to spot the opponent an early game pick 6 and a kick off return for a TD sometime during the game. I don't even get upset at these anymore because it just seems like part of our game. We have to keep it interesting.

Same here. It was like every kickoff, we were saying well still waiting for the big one...then there it was.

After LJ pick 6, we were saying "Ok, got that out of the way" just like it was a routine.

cantwait48
1/2/2011, 12:11 PM
"Two pick-6's? Greatness. And we could've had one more."

I saw three others we dropped that hit us right in the hands, I am not sure but it looked like all had a chance of being returned. Their qb threw well over the middle at times but we helped him out by not picking off a couple of easy ones.

picasso
1/2/2011, 12:18 PM
I got sick of Millen talking about Broyles lack of speed. No, he's not a burner but last night he obviously didn't have his legs in the 2nd half.
It looked to me like UC wanted to hit him as often as possible.

jadubya
1/2/2011, 12:41 PM
Opportunities for improvement:

1. Landry had great numbers. I was concerned about ~5 of the passes he didn't complete to open receivers. Against a better team, those become game changers. Luckily, that was not the case this evening.

2. Lot of missed tackles although there back was pretty salty.

3. Still think we are soft over the middle / underneath defending the pass.

4. Kickoff. We just suck. Can't kick it out of the endzone....so we give up 15 yards of field position trying to pooch....and then can't tackle the noseguard who rumbles up the field like a coke machine.

5. Was Quinton sporting a weave last night? wow. Blonde highlights. nice.

The Good Stuff:

1. Good win. I don't care about UConn's stature...we needed a win...and a 4 TD butt whippin' will do.

2. Broyles is a stud.

3. Landry did make some amazing passes to offset the few he missed.

4. Frodo Baggins made all his FG/PAT's. Off to the Shire to celebrate!

5. Fiesta Bowl monkey is gone. We need a few more Bowl wins to move the Boise State highlights into the back corner of the replay closet.

Memtig14
1/2/2011, 12:47 PM
Will Bob consider hiring a coach with a deep special teams background?

I think it has to be something he will take into consideration.

bigfatjerk
1/2/2011, 02:52 PM
Will Bob consider hiring a coach with a deep special teams background?

I think it has to be something he will take into consideration.

I hope we get Jonathan Hayes back. He'll probably be fired from Cincy this week.