PDA

View Full Version : How did the Fiesta Bowl become a BCS Bowl??

yell4ou
1/2/2011, 10:15 AM
This was my first Fiesta Bowl experience and I must say I was disappointed.

The stadium is very ordinary in my opinion, just huge blocks of concrete on the inside, the outside is cool looking. Even though we were inside, it felt "temperature" like we were outside. Our own Memorial Stadium has better/bigger video screens and they never showed any stats of the game at all. The only time I saw and learned of L. Jones 400+ bowl passing record was when they simulcasted ESPN during the trophy presentation. There was a Bald Eagle that flew across the field during the National Anthem, which was very, very cool, but you'd expect to see and hear a top entertainer/performer at the game. There was no pre-game entertainment or what I'd expect as hyping up the game for this "Top-notch" bowl. The Big XII did a way far better job in its trophy celebration after it's Championship game than this BCS Fiesta Bowl did which was very lack luster and anti-climatic.

They marched out these nazi looking police in their riot gear right before the game ended, which was funny because the stadium was pretty much empty by then. Where we were sitting, they pushed the section back a couple of rows so you could not be on the railing to greet the players after the game. Could never understand this since the majority of the players parents were in the section and ended up having to fight their way through stadium security to talk/hug their sons from the stands after the game was over. They should make the Cotton Bowl a BCS bowl in the near, near future instead.

OU Win *****
American Bald Eagle ****
Beer at OU Game ***
Fan Experience **
Fiesta Bowl *

winout
1/2/2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the info. How would you say the crowd was, percentage-wise, in regards to OU vs. UConn vs. Neutral?

yell4ou
1/2/2011, 10:29 AM
Before the game I spent most of my time at McFadden's Bar in Westgate and I was thinking... There are a ton of UConn fans that made the trip. They were loud, friendly, but not engaging(must be a East Coast thing), and they all like their booze and can drink!! But once we got to the game OU fans far more out numbered UConn's in the stands, it wasn't even close.

Lawton4Life
1/2/2011, 10:39 AM
The Boise Game was the first Fiesta to be played at the new Cardinals stadium. Before that it was held in the ASU stadium. They even had a Super Bowl there, which blows my mind.

I went in 07 and they really did a good job with the Stats, sorry to hear that has changed.

Scott D
1/2/2011, 10:41 AM
Simple answer, they paid more money than the Cotton Bowl was willing to pay.

pphilfran
1/2/2011, 10:49 AM
It made it to the big time when in the mid 80's Penn State and Miami, both independents, agreed to play their MNC game at the Fiesta...the Fiesta outbid some other bowl for the rights to the MNC game...

In the early 90's the Fiesta was invited to play in the Bowl Coalition (pre BCS, the Rose refused to participate)...

Then this morphed into the BCS with the Rose jumping on board and an old and tired Cotton Bowl (and possible cold weather) being booted to second class status...

Pricetag
1/2/2011, 11:22 AM
you'd expect to see and hear a top entertainer/performer at the game.
The last time I even remember seeing a "singer" at a BCS game was when Ashlee Simpson got booed off the stage at one or another of them. It's been several years.

When did Fox get the BCS? I thought I remembered when they got it, one of their plans was to cut out stuff like pop superstars performing.

yermom
1/2/2011, 11:41 AM
it seems like ESPN/abc is where it should be. the other crews are small time.

i guess we get spoiled with the new facilities we are used to seeing... the screens there are pretty average, but that stadium is only 4 years old, basically. i remember driving by it on my way to the Holiday Bowl in 2005 before it was done

going from Jerry World to there was pretty interesting. i still think the bad seats in Glendale are better than they are in Arlington though.

Leroy Lizard
1/2/2011, 11:52 AM
The last time I even remember seeing a "singer" at a BCS game was when Ashlee Simpson got booed off the stage at one or another of them. It's been several years.

When did Fox get the BCS? I thought I remembered when they got it, one of their plans was to cut out stuff like pop superstars performing.

I consider that a good thing.

jumperstop
1/2/2011, 12:06 PM
Noise was is at least better than Jerry World. I've always thought it was a nice stadium, could have been heated though, kinda chilly. Indoor stadiums should be warmer than outside...I would rather see the school bands than a c-list singer, that's normally an orange bowl thing anyways.

opksooner
1/2/2011, 12:06 PM
I consider that a good thing.

+ 1

The National Anthem should be about the National Anthem, not some wanna be pop person/whoever yodelling their version of something to bring attention to themselves.

/rant

TUSooner
1/2/2011, 12:16 PM
The stadium is very ordinary in my opinion.

Well, I've never been there, it's true. But judging from what I've seen and read about it, you must have a very different definition of "ordinary" than most observers.

TUSooner
1/2/2011, 12:21 PM
+ 1

The National Anthem should be about the National Anthem, not some wanna be pop person/whoever yodelling their version of something to bring attention to themselves.

/rant

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000.00

delhalew
1/2/2011, 01:20 PM
it seems like ESPN/abc is where it should be. the other crews are small time.

i guess we get spoiled with the new facilities we are used to seeing... the screens there are pretty average, but that stadium is only 4 years old, basically. i remember driving by it on my way to the Holiday Bowl in 2005 before it was done

going from Jerry World to there was pretty interesting. i still think the bad seats in Glendale are better than they are in Arlington though.

I like the way CBS does the SEC games. Quality broadcast.

OUthunder
1/2/2011, 01:26 PM
I'll post a similar review when I get home. My experience was a lot like yours. It was good but not great, the crowd was really dead last night. Felt like I was at a big high school state basketball tournament instead of a BCS bowl.

cvsooner
1/2/2011, 01:28 PM
ESPN was way better than the Fox broadcasts, though.

Soonerfan88
1/2/2011, 01:39 PM
I'm just glad the Fiesta bowl doesn't spend lots of money on fancy pre-game and halftime shows so they can keep ticket costs down.

On a sincere note, I do like having the school bands at halftime rather than some overdone extravaganza trying to be the Super Bowl.

OUmillenium
1/2/2011, 01:51 PM
I'll post a similar review when I get home. My experience was a lot like yours. It was good but not great, the crowd was really dead last night. Felt like I was at a big high school state basketball tournament instead of a BCS bowl.

Nice! Large school basketball crowds suck. even in their rivalry matchups, only the current students get juiced. Yes, the Jenks crowd is being called out. Jenks basketball crowd for the past 10 years = SuperFail

salth2o
1/2/2011, 02:31 PM
ESPN was way better than the Fox broadcasts, though.

I really miss how the Fox broadcasters kept reminding us viewers, "remember that in college football only one foot needs to be in bounds, etc..." :rolleyes:

They were teh succ

cccasooner2
1/2/2011, 09:43 PM
I'm just glad the Fiesta bowl doesn't spend lots of money on fancy pre-game and halftime shows so they can keep ticket costs down.

On a sincere note, I do like having the school bands at halftime rather than some overdone extravaganza trying to be the Super Bowl.

Agree. Why spend money on a bunch of a$$ clowns when "everyone" is interested in the football? Would you want a Rolling Stones concert if they put in a 5-play NY Giants/KC Chiefs "game"?

yell4ou
1/2/2011, 11:25 PM
What I was trying to point out is this was a BCS Bowl game......That you might expect a little more effort and glamour to the event for being a top tier bowl. There was nothing quote, unquote "special" about the event other than the name and cost. As far as the stadium being ordinary, there was just not anything about the place that was gave out the "wow" factor. It was nice, but really nothing stood out to talk about, other my seat was really roomy and never felt crowed.

I'm more of a basics, just play the game...but with all the talk about how much money a team gets paid out for going and tickets prices sky high. I guess my expectations were set too high. Maybe I could have gotten to hear Carrie Underwood sing the Anthem as a bonus. But really don't care.

Just driving back to the hotel after the game we just weren't that impressed with the event. All I'm saying is our OU Home games are better and the Big XII Championship did it much better than the Fiesta Bowl.

jumperstop
1/2/2011, 11:37 PM
It probably didn't help we were playing uconn. Have you ever been to bcs bowl, or any other bowl for that matter. Seems better than a lot of the other bowls out there, at least the ones I've been to.

SoonerBread
1/3/2011, 04:58 AM
What I was trying to point out is this was a BCS Bowl game......That you might expect a little more effort and glamour to the event for being a top tier bowl. There was nothing quote, unquote "special" about the event other than the name and cost. As far as the stadium being ordinary, there was just not anything about the place that was gave out the "wow" factor. It was nice, but really nothing stood out to talk about, other my seat was really roomy and never felt crowed.

I'm more of a basics, just play the game...but with all the talk about how much money a team gets paid out for going and tickets prices sky high. I guess my expectations were set too high. Maybe I could have gotten to hear Carrie Underwood sing the Anthem as a bonus. But really don't care.

Just driving back to the hotel after the game we just weren't that impressed with the event. All I'm saying is our OU Home games are better and the Big XII Championship did it much better than the Fiesta Bowl.

This, and your OP. I felt the same way about the two prior Fiesta Bowl games. I felt like saying, "big deal." Main reason I stayed home for this one.

budbarrybob
1/3/2011, 07:25 AM
Well... glad you at least went and represented! :)

Soonermagik
1/3/2011, 07:57 AM
I would think that the +1 game could work its way to Jerry World in the near future.

King Barry's Back
1/3/2011, 09:59 AM
Noise was is at least better than Jerry World. I've always thought it was a nice stadium, could have been heated though, kinda chilly. Indoor stadiums should be warmer than outside...I would rather see the school bands than a c-list singer, that's normally an orange bowl thing anyways.

I am guessing that this year, the Fiesta Bowl Committee is saving any b-list or better "celebrities" for the BCS National Championship game next week.

King Barry's Back
1/3/2011, 10:04 AM
All I'm saying is our OU Home games are better and the Big XII Championship did it much better than the Fiesta Bowl.

This doesn't shock me.

College football home games = the bomb.

College football neutral site games at NFL stadiums = sanitized experience.

That's just the way its.

Somebody mentioned Nazi like cops on the field after the game. That's the way it was in all four 80s era Orange Bowls I attended. Cops would surround the field at about 5-yd intervals, and each one was equiped with a huge, police-trained German Shephard.

I didn't f-with them, for sure.

OKLA21FAN
1/3/2011, 10:14 AM
+ 1

/rant

why do you hate jose feliciano? :pop:

OUthunder
1/3/2011, 01:26 PM

My wife and I were talking about this during the game. We have a much better time at OU home games than we did at the Fiesta, for less money. The Fiesta did not make me feel like this was a "special" BCS bowl game. As a matter of fact, road games in Boulder were more exciting. At least I get a snow ball thrown at me or a beer poured on me. This game was pedestrian in every way.

For the money we spent and injected into the local economy, a nice pregame and halftime show would have been appreciated.

By the way, the riot police were not necessary. The only people left in the stadium were OU fans, and there were only probably 10,000 of us during the trophy presentation. The cops on horses with riot gear was funny.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2011, 01:36 PM
We have really become spoiled. Did they need all this for Super Bowl I? All they had was some trumpeter dude and a couple of college marching bands.

Can you picture this guy demanding fireworks, big screens, and special effects?

http://www.tvsquad.com/media/2006/04/keithjackson.jpg

KantoSooner
1/3/2011, 05:28 PM
Wow, they had riot cops? Well, we know who those were for; somehow "Hooligans from Connecticut!" is a line I can't quite concieve of hearing. ("Look, blond college girls on quaaludes!" is much closer to the mark; and they only need a fuzzy blanket, cup of hot tea and some slow, trippy music to be kept under control, not riot cops.)

Be proud, ye sons and daughters of Oklahoma! Your reputation preceeds you.

yermom
1/3/2011, 06:07 PM
the riot cops were pretty funny

we are going after the goalposts after beating UConn, who by most accounts didn't really belong there?

i will say they ran a better gameday experience than Jerry World. waiting for security at the CCG was awful. it's like they had never hosted a football game before.

ELP Sooner
1/3/2011, 06:29 PM
No comparision between a game in Norman and Glendale. One thing that Glendale has on OU from my perspective is the roominess of the seats. Granted at OU I have never been in a section with "seats" rather the benches and being a fattie makes that rather unpleasant, but that is on me not OU. I had lost 25 lbs from the OU CU game I attended in Norman to this game so maybe that helped? The OU folks I met, as usual, were incredibly nice. That is the thing I love most about the OU football program...the fans.

soonergirlNeugene
1/3/2011, 06:41 PM
The Fiesta is the only BCS bowl I haven't gone to watch the Sooners play in. I have to say they are all pretty similar, but it sure is nice to be able to have a beer at the game.

Rose (vs WSU) was probably the best atmosphere but the parade played the biggest contributor there. Inside, the stadium was nothing fancy really. Old school concrete benches. Open air venue, got a little chilly after sundown.

Old orange (vs FSU) was my next favorite, purely for nostalgia. Stadium was comfortable, and the stadium service was good. We never had to get in line for beer or anything, seemed like there was always a vendor nearby in the stands. Of course, watching Bob and the team hoist the crystal ball at the end probably gave that memory a nicer color.

New orange (vs USC) stadium was a lot more modern, was easier to get in than the old orange bowl, though I kinda enjoyed hanging around outside before the Florida State game. Prices inside the stadium were ridiculous. Halftime, booing Ashley Simpson, only bright spot in that particular experience.

Sugar (vs LSU) Leaving out the huge negative of dealing with the LSU fans, the stadium itself is a dump. Crumbling walls, horrifying bathrooms, was garbage everywhere even before kickoff. Also way too small for a major bowl, definitely could never accommodate even half the regular attending fanbases from 2 major schools. Took forever to get into the stadium, had to deal with long snaking lines. Stadium parking and street access was the worst I've experienced.

SoonerMom2
1/3/2011, 10:28 PM
Sat in the heart of the OU section on the lower level and it was loud all around us including with some military types yelling for the Sooners. Not quiet at all where we were at. My complaint was the extremely small scoreboards and replay that did not take in the whole field. No stats only downs, yards to go, timeouts and score. We had no clue how much yardage was being racked up by Landry Jones or the receivers or DeMarco Murray. Also it was really cold in the stadium. Thought all the riot cops including on horseback and bikes was hilarious. What I did like was how fast they got us through security and the parking right around the stadium. We got there early and was parked near the entrance to the stadium on the Sooner side. Loved the concession stands as well as the seats with plenty of room between you and the seat in front. In our section we were talking about getting seats like that for the whole stadium which will never happen.

We had a great time even though it was really cold. Enjoyed watching the bands instead of crappy entertainment some bowls have. Thought the US Military Academy Glee Club gave a great rendition of the National Anthem and the eagle was awesome.

Most CT fans we met were standoffish and not friendly at all. Last night we stayed in Albuquerque at the Hampton Inn -- parking lot was mostly Oklahoma license plates. As soon as we walked in the door, the lady at the desk said more Fiesta Bowl Sooners. Same thing at the hotel we stayed at in Glendale -- at the breakfast it was all Sooner fans. First people we met at the hotel were from Texhoma.

I would go back to the Fiesta Bowl again if the Sooners played. We had a great time and food was really good in the area once we found the eating places. Thought it was well worth the trip. We even went to what I would call fanfest before the game -- the plate lunch I thought was good. Our band was very good there and got the crowd going before we went over to the stadium. Most of the vendors were pro-Oklahoma -- same with everyone we met in the area from the Phoenix area.

My brother and I had a very positive experience. Soonerfans we met the entire time were AWESOME! Very happy to be there to cheer on the Sooners to victory and get that BCS money off our back. Bet we outnumbered the Conn fans at least 10-1 in the stadium.

PrideTrombone
1/4/2011, 12:06 AM
Old orange (vs FSU) was my next favorite, purely for nostalgia. Stadium was comfortable, and the stadium service was good. We never had to get in line for beer or anything, seemed like there was always a vendor nearby in the stands. Of course, watching Bob and the team hoist the crystal ball at the end probably gave that memory a nicer color.

New orange (vs USC) stadium was a lot more modern, was easier to get in than the old orange bowl, though I kinda enjoyed hanging around outside before the Florida State game. Prices inside the stadium were ridiculous. Halftime, booing Ashley Simpson, only bright spot in that particular experience.

Both of these were in the same stadium.

bluedogok
1/4/2011, 12:12 AM
the riot cops were pretty funny

we are going after the goalposts after beating UConn, who by most accounts didn't really belong there?
Well, they may have worked ASU games in the past......

soonergirlNeugene
1/4/2011, 03:58 PM
Both of these were in the same stadium.

That stadium underwent major renovations from its previous state. Access, seating, everything looks completely different.

SoonerMarkVA
1/4/2011, 05:12 PM
Simple answer, they paid more money than the Cotton Bowl was willing to pay.

Yup. They bought their way into the gold club. They are the lottery-winner-riche of the BCS compared to the Sugar, Orange, and Rose bowls. The Cotton was the natural choice for 4th, but they blew it.

Naturally, we get tied to the Fiesta, too. I was very upset when the Orange wasn't our "home bowl" anymore.

bluedogok
1/4/2011, 07:25 PM
The Cotton blew it because there had been too many cold weather Cotton Bowl games and they didn't have a domed stadium yet. Phoenix didn't have the same kind of weather issues even though Sun Devil Stadium wasn't much better than the old Cotton Bowl Stadium.

OKLA21FAN
1/4/2011, 07:31 PM
The Cotton blew it because there had been too many cold weather Cotton Bowl games and they didn't have a domed stadium yet. Phoenix didn't have the same kind of weather issues even though Sun Devil Stadium wasn't much better than the old Cotton Bowl Stadium.

I always thought thew CB 'chose' not to join the BCS citing that they could get 'better' match-ups being independent. (of course, early on, the BCS only had four bowls)

stoopified
1/5/2011, 07:55 AM
Fiesta experience is a lot better with a win.

prrriiide
1/5/2011, 09:36 AM
+ 1

/rant

I totally agree with your sentiment. However, the group that sang the SSB @ the Fiesta Bowl did an outstanding job. That's a really difficult song to sing and sound like something besides mating alley cats.