PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones Appreciation Thread

bigfatjerk
1/2/2011, 12:56 AM
Here's a look at his stats

He's thrown for 400+ yards in 2 bowl games. 429 this year, 418 last year. 6 TDs and 2 INTs in those games also.

He has now thrown for more than 400 yards 4 times. Which is a school record.

He threw for 4718 yards this year. The school record is Bradford's Heisman Trophy season of 4720.

He's got 64 TDs, only needs 15 more to pass Bradford.

He needs about 500 yards to pass Bradford for the career passing yards.

He's going to destroy the Sooner record book after next year. You can't complain about this guy. He's going down as an all time great. Really the only thing bad about him is that Sam was better. But it's not by as much as you think.

SoTxSooner85
1/2/2011, 01:57 AM
Great post and Thanks Landry

SoonerGrant
1/2/2011, 01:59 AM
His only downfall is that he came after Bradford. But at the end of his career, stat wise, he will be better than Bradford.

SoonerBacker
1/2/2011, 02:00 AM
Good to see this thread. LJones is a great QB and is only going to get better.

MR2-Sooner86
1/2/2011, 02:04 AM
They're nice stats and all but still doesn't change the fact he sucks. ;)

SoonerGrant
1/2/2011, 02:05 AM
They're nice stats and all but still doesn't change the fact he sucks. ;)

Yes, horrid!

:D

bigfatjerk
1/2/2011, 11:13 AM
His only downfall is that he came after Bradford. But at the end of his career, stat wise, he will be better than Bradford.

Whoever the next guy is will also have big shoes to fill.

btb916
1/2/2011, 11:55 AM
Congrats to Landry on a great season and a great win!!

bigfatjerk
1/2/2011, 11:56 AM
One more thing about Landry. He has more bowl wins than Jason White, Sam Bradford, Josh Heupel, and Paul Thompson COMBINED

MR2-Sooner86
1/2/2011, 12:33 PM
One more thing about Landry. He has more bowl wins than Jason White, Sam Bradford, Josh Heupel, and Paul Thompson COMBINED

Well, White was on the team for '00, '01, and '02 so....but I get what you're saying.

slh1234
1/2/2011, 01:25 PM
Landry has done a great job this season. I'm excited to see what he does next season.

zeke
1/2/2011, 01:36 PM
Looking forward to seeing him play next year! Great Job L Jones!

tcrb
1/2/2011, 01:39 PM
You don't set records at a school like The University of Oklahoma unless you're pretty damned good.

Soonerfan88
1/2/2011, 01:46 PM
I've won a couple of lunch bets from doubters who said we would never win any kind of championship with Landry Jones as QB. I have never understood all the negativity thrown at him.

deweydw
1/2/2011, 01:47 PM
Some say, he likes to put ground Naga Viper peppers on his eggs for breakfast. And that he shaves with a Bowie knife. All we know is... He's called the Stache!!!

Congrats LJ on a great season.

Did he shave the stache?

slh1234
1/2/2011, 01:50 PM
I've won a couple of lunch bets from doubters who said we would never win any kind of championship with Landry Jones as QB. I have never understood all the negativity thrown at him.

That's something I've always been amazed about when it comes to people. You can be sure every human performer is going to have mistakes/fails. Some people seem to get their jollies by "calling" the failure. Ironically, they don't recognize their own history of failure in calling those failures, and seem to find themselves sophisticated when they finally get one right.

Jones has done a great job at QB the last couple of years, but you can be sure there will be the ones who want to "call" his failure.

stoopified
1/2/2011, 01:50 PM
Here's a look at his stats

He's thrown for 400+ yards in 2 bowl games. 429 this year, 418 last year. 6 TDs and 2 INTs in those games also.

He has now thrown for more than 400 yards 4 times. Which is a school record.

He threw for 4718 yards this year. The school record is Bradford's Heisman Trophy season of 4720.

He's got 64 TDs, only needs 25 more to pass Bradford.

He needs about 500 yards to pass Bradford for the career passing yards.

He's going to destroy the Sooner record book after next year. You can't complain about this guy. He's going down as an all time great. Really the only thing bad about him is that Sam was better. But it's not by as much as you think.Fixed it for yas,Sam had 88 career TDs

Okie35
1/2/2011, 02:14 PM
Landry's records within his stay at OU will be hard to top from any following QBs we'll have. Ppl can gripe about him but all he does is shatter records. He's special and I'm proud of him.

goingoneight
1/2/2011, 03:30 PM
Landry's road to success as OU's starter was admittedly a lot tougher than Sam's was. Sam's proving it in the NFL while Landry still has a few things to sharpen up on, but he's still an incredible QB. Sam had the accuracy and the whole home-town QB thing going for him like Jason White did, and his surrounding cast made him go from great to incredible. This year, Landry's surrounding cast was better than last, but still not what Sam had in either 2007 or 2008.
They're both great, but still the edge goes hands down to Sam. I still can't believe there are Landry doubters out there. The fact that he's not All-BIG 12 is the biggest joke of the entire 2010 CFB season.

btb916
1/2/2011, 03:44 PM

Well, what's strange is that neither Sam nor Jason won a (nat'l) championship either. So even with *the best* QB, you need more (unless your QB is a running back like Newton, Tebow, or Young, apparently) to win the big game.

bigfatjerk
1/2/2011, 03:46 PM
You have to be extremely lucky to win a national title.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2011, 03:48 PM
You have to be extremely lucky to win a national title.

^This. You'd like to think you can pull it off with a great team and great coaching, but that just puts you in contention. Good fortune is also needed.

goingoneight
1/2/2011, 03:52 PM
Yep... even OUr 2000 team got lucky against FSU. FSU's kicker sucked. If we thought Stevens is bad, look back on the 2000 Seminoles. Also, an AA receiver was suspended in that game. While OU was dominant defensively in that game, look no further than Percy Harvin, Vince Young or Torrance Marshall to realize how big a difference an AA can make in a big game.

Leroy Lizard
1/2/2011, 03:58 PM
Yep... even OUr 2000 team got lucky against FSU. FSU's kicker sucked. If we thought Stevens is bad, look back on the 2000 Seminoles. Also, an AA receiver was suspended in that game.

But this just goes to show how luck works. Was OU lucky that Minnis was suspended, or was FSU just lucky that Minnis was allowed to step on a college campus in the first place?

IMO, Minnis had no business playing on a college football team and so for FSU to lose him was not unlucky at all. You create your own luck, and recruiting dimwits just places your program at the mercy of fortune.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2011, 04:02 PM
Then I guess we created our own bad luck by having DM return kick-offs in the CCG in '08.

btb916
1/2/2011, 04:02 PM
But this just goes to show how luck works. Was OU lucky that Minnis was suspended, or was FSU just lucky that Minnis was allowed to step on a college campus in the first place?

IMO, Minnis had no business playing on a college football team and so for FSU to lose him was not unlucky at all. You create your own luck, and recruiting dimwits just places your program at the mercy of fortune.

I agree with you. Sometimes I like to play the what if so-and-so wasn't injured game, but I get tired of it real quick. Gotta win with what ya got.

btb916
1/2/2011, 04:05 PM
Then I guess we created our own bad luck by having DM return kick-offs in the CCG in '08.

Kind of :D How often do you see Murray return kick offs now?

The first time it happens, you can't really predict that. But once you know your guy is injury prone, you do everything you can to take him out of danger while still putting him in the best position to have the most impact.

With players that are problem-children, so to speak, sometimes you take your chance. See Ryan Broyles. What if he wouldn't have turned out as he did? So I guess I don't fully agree with Leroy, because sometimes you do need to take a chance on a guy that has a troubled past. But if he keeps burning you...time to let him go.

Leroy Lizard
1/2/2011, 04:06 PM

:confused: (Comparing an injury with academic ineptitude?)

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2011, 04:08 PM
I agree with you. Sometimes I like to play the what if so-and-so wasn't injured game, but I get tired of it real quick. Gotta win with what ya got.

That's still a matter of chance and there is no way around it. The only way to factor out chance is to have a great program and a strong team year in and year out so that you get a lot of chances. Stoops has certainly done that and gotten 4 title games in 12 years. We should probably be 2-2 in those games as we were slightly better than the other guy in '00 and '03 and slightly inferior in '08. But 4 games is not a big sample and dropping from 2-2 to 1-3 is a razor thin margin.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2011, 04:10 PM
:confused: (Comparing an injury with academic ineptitude?)

No, just saying there are many factors in the luck column. Injuries are the biggest and most frustrating, IMO. But it's part of the game as they say.

Leroy Lizard
1/2/2011, 04:13 PM
With players that are problem-children, so to speak, sometimes you take your chance. See Ryan Broyles. What if he wouldn't have turned out as he did? So I guess I don't fully agree with Leroy, because sometimes you do need to take a chance on a guy that has a troubled past. But if he keeps burning you...time to let him go.

If Ryan had been later caught shoplifting and, therefore, ruled ineligible for a game you couldn't call it "bad luck."

Rolling the dice is one thing. Blaming your problems on misfortune is another.

goingoneight
1/2/2011, 04:14 PM
Minnis is only one of a million instances of guys who "don't belong." I doubt he was the only one even on his own team, let alone on the field that night. "It's DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL!!!" ;)

It changed the gameplan and inevitably the game, just as we've seen a few of OUr star players being out of certain games changed things. You get to completely throw out certain elements of an opponent's game film when star players are out.

Starting with that example, we could also add that OU was 100% going into that game and was for nearly all of that season, too. Miami played a team who quit in the Rose Bowl the next year. Ohio State got a bogus call to go their way in the Fiesta Bowl. LSU feated on an injured Jason White, Texas feasted on a ****-poor USC defense after running through a down version of the BIG 12, Florida barely got the vote to play in the BCSMNCG, LSU got in with two losses, I could go on...

Luck plays a big part in things.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2011, 04:16 PM
Kind of :D How often do you see Murray return kick offs now? ..

You put in the smiley, but it's a silly example. Every player has less chance to get hurt the less they play obviously. And coaches can control that a bit by when they use reserves (someone still gets hurt, just a matter of who). But DM could have gotten dinged on his first carry too. And how about Sam or Finch for this year's bowl - happened in practice. Other luck factors are records of other teams or who you play. Miami was coming on strong at the end of '00 and became the '01 team that is always high on the best ever list. I'm not saying they would have beat us, but I think they were better than FSU at the end of the year. A totally random luck factor from an OU perspective.

NMSooner'80
1/2/2011, 04:27 PM
Glad to see some positive comments on the kid from the state in which I live. It's been tough at times to convince some New Mexicans that not all of our fans are vicious critics.

I could almost understand it if he were of shaky character, but he's anything but that. He has almost 8,000 career passing yards already and has really improved since his debut.

New Mexico doesn't have much to root for in terms of college football since the '07 Lobos won nine games. Jones is giving this state something that even the Lobo-hoops-crazy media can rally behind lately.

PLaw
1/2/2011, 05:11 PM
Glad to see some positive comments on the kid from the state in which I live. It's been tough at times to convince some New Mexicans that not all of our fans are vicious critics.

I could almost understand it if he were of shaky character, but he's anything but that. He has almost 8,000 career passing yards already and has really improved since his debut.

New Mexico doesn't have much to root for in terms of college football since the '07 Lobos won nine games. Jones is giving this state something that even the Lobo-hoops-crazy media can rally behind lately.

As much as it pains this former Lovington Wildcat to say, I'm darn proud of the Artesia Bulldog on so many levels. He has demonstrated a maturity and approach to the game that despite his success he continues to strive to improve.

Boomer

SoonerKnight
1/2/2011, 05:26 PM
I watched in 3D and while the guys calling the game sucked it was fun to watch in 3D. When they interviewed Jones after the game I was suprised by his accent. He sounded like he had been in Oklahoma all his life. First, he decides to be a minister and second he starts talking like an Oklahoman. Then he wins a BCS game. This guy could very well bring us #8.

MyT Oklahoma
1/2/2011, 06:36 PM
Congratulations Landry on an exciting season and I am looking forward to seeing you still yet once again next fall.

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 06:48 PM

He's a Sooner Now. You lost your claim on him. :D ;)

Leroy Lizard
1/2/2011, 06:54 PM
Minnis is only one of a million instances of guys who "don't belong." I doubt he was the only one even on his own team, let alone on the field that night. "It's DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL!!!" ;)

Sure. But if you bring in a marginal player and he is ruled ineligible, don't blame the stars. You took your chances; you pay the price.

bigfatjerk
1/2/2011, 07:53 PM

He's probably the best player at OU from that state since Tommy McDonald. Which says a lot because Leon Cross was from Hobbs.

badger
1/2/2011, 08:52 PM
Landry returns OU to BCS glory on Saturday, his girlfriend returns to get her first double-double for OU on Sunday. Not a bad weekend

SoonerOX
1/2/2011, 09:57 PM
Nice Job Landry! Glad to have ya!