PDA

View Full Version : Heupel game-calling analysis

LostCreekSooner
1/2/2011, 12:50 AM
I have already seen some whining. Too vanilla, not enough Millard, no diamond formation, etc. ...

Well, I think he evaluated the strengths of UCONN's defense and attacked their weakness. We were better off spreading them out and slinging the ball around, and taking shots down the field when they continued to press. Personally, it was the first time in years that I wasn't screaming at Wilson and his pig-headed shove-the-ball down your throat mentality. My vote... thumbs up!

WestLakeHillsSooner
1/2/2011, 12:52 AM
"W". That is all that matters. The future is blindingly bright for OU fans!

FirstandGoal
1/2/2011, 12:53 AM
I have already seen some whining. Too vanilla, not enough Millard, no diamond formation, etc. ...

Well, I think he evaluated the strengths of UCONN's defense and attacked their weakness. We were better off spreading them out and slinging the ball around, and taking shots down the field when they continued to press. Personally, it was the first time in years that I wasn't screaming at Wilson and his pig-headed shove-the-ball down your throat mentality. My vote... thumbs up!

Yeah, but what about that one time we fumbled the snap?

That call sucked balls IMO

tcrb
1/2/2011, 12:53 AM
Yeah, I'll give him a thumbs up too.

pb4ou
1/2/2011, 12:54 AM
I don't think the diamond formation would not have worked to well with Finch out anyway.

MR2-Sooner86
1/2/2011, 12:55 AM
I think he needs to be fired.

VA Sooner
1/2/2011, 12:55 AM
I don't think the diamond formation would not have worked to well with Finch out anyway.

True. Best to go with taking advantages of weaknesses and exploiting them.

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 12:56 AM
He did exactly what the Offense was capable of and didn't confuse them and try to make a bunch of changes. He had our guys ready to play and they seemed to really make plays when we needed them.

I think this was a test for him and the thumbs up that count are the ones from Bob when he gives the entire OC job to Josh. I think it's a for sure deal. There won't be Co-OCs after this game.

recemp
1/2/2011, 12:58 AM
I think Landry could have used Josh on the sidelines.
It wasn't the plan, but the execution.
Eliminate the glaring mistakes - we win the NC

nisakat2
1/2/2011, 12:58 AM
concerned a little about the non use of millard

SoonerObsession
1/2/2011, 12:59 AM
You know UConn was ticked that they probably spent hours upon hours preparing for the diamond and we didn't run it one time.

hawaii 5-0
1/2/2011, 01:07 AM
I still saw a lot of the 1st down incomplete pass. 2nd down hand it to DeMarco in the I formation for a yard loss. Defenses have seen that coming all season.

The bubble screens weren't working. I would have liked to seen more inside screens with the TEs doing the screening or Demarco lined up in the slot.

Something I've noticed with predictability since Heupel was QB was OU getting a nice 1st down around midfield, then immediately throwing it deep. We did it with White and Bradford. We still do it with Landry. Nice that sometimes it works.

Josh has some good talent to work with. I hope he's successful in developing a good red zone offense. We shouldn't be forced into iffy Stevens FGs. Did you see that 2nd one? Scar-ey.

Tho this isn't on Josh, it's disgraceful we don't have a kicker that can put the KO 5 yards deep and at least make the returner think about whether to return it or not. Having the returner line up at the goalline and then receive the ball at the 5 or 10 with a full head of steam is killing the coverage. Please, Bob, go hire a quality Special Teams coach.

5-0

SoonerGrant
1/2/2011, 01:12 AM

We didn't use Millard and we won. You must get a lot of stomach ulcers :(

SoonerGrant
1/2/2011, 01:14 AM
Something I've noticed with predictability since Heupel was QB was OU getting a nice 1st down around midfield, then immediately throwing it deep. We did it with White and Bradford. We still do it with Landry. Nice that sometimes it works.

Most teams do this, even in the NFL. Its not just OU. Its a smart play call imo, because you have the defense down on themselves for just giving up a first down.

soonerbub
1/2/2011, 01:14 AM
http://cdn1.trojanwire.com/heritage/images/fiesta-trophy.jpg

2121Sooner
1/2/2011, 01:15 AM
Heupel to Pittsburgh!!!!

I would have liked to see a few more runs on 2nd down but I aint complaining. Great game by the Sooners and the comment about a bright future for the Sooners is spot on.

MeMyself&Me
1/2/2011, 01:17 AM

I didn't expect to see diamond tonight at all with Finch out. I thought all along that was simply a means to get Murray, Finch, and Millard in the backfield at the same time.

This was the only thing I was questioning. I think Millard is going to be to the fullback position what Gresham was to the tight end position for OU's offense. BUT, the offense put up a lot of points so it's not like I'm complaining, more like wondering.

hawaii 5-0
1/2/2011, 01:20 AM

I was thinking the same thing when Landry was overthrowing the WRs on the deep routes. Where's Josh to settle him down?

Still Landry had a great game. He threw some beautiful balls. It's also nice to have such a good stable of receivers.

5-0

SoonerGrant
1/2/2011, 01:20 AM
This was the only thing I was questioning. I think Millard is going to be to the fullback position what Gresham was to the tight end position for OU's offense. BUT, the offense put up a lot of points so it's not like I'm complaining, more like wondering.

He was really only used for 2nd or 3rd and 1 to go. I don't recall any of those really. And if there were those situations, they never really proved that they could handle our pass game, hints 430 yards passing.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2011, 01:21 AM

Er? I don't doubt Landry would be more comfortable with Josh on the sidelines, but 70% completion rate and 430yds is poor execution? I only saw a few mistakes and
the only glaring one was the over-throw to Kenney. Things are not going to be perfect for 50 attempts. The one pick was forced by good defensive play and not a glaring error on LJ, IMO.

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 01:21 AM
Maybe we should text them a pic of our trophy....

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/793009/55896_fiesta_bowl_connecticut_football.jpg

SoonerFan918
1/2/2011, 01:25 AM
I would've liked to seen more Millard, but we still won. Overall, Heupel did a good job.

tulsaoilerfan
1/2/2011, 01:31 AM
Damn we won and scored 34 and could have had 50 and people are complaining?

2121Sooner
1/2/2011, 01:32 AM
Not complaining at all.

Heupel did a nice job. Glad to get that goddamn 5 BCS loss in a row streak over though..

Sooner-N-KS
1/2/2011, 01:35 AM
I thought Heupel did a great job. My problem is with Stoops (but don't misinterpret me as saying we should get rid of him).

It worked out in the end, but Stoops has had a tendency to tell the coordinators to play it conservative after we get a decent lead.....sit on the ball and milk the clock.

I think that leads to an attitude change among the players. They lose the killer attitude to put them away. We tend to get more 3 & outs on offense and give up more big plays on defense.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2011, 01:37 AM
I think folks forget that Uconn has a pretty decent defense - they won their games by keeping the scores low. We were not playing against air out there.

goingoneight
1/2/2011, 01:43 AM
OSU fans will be on suicide watch til spring football now.

pappy
1/2/2011, 09:00 AM
I thought Josh called a pretty good game...went down field more, took advantage of the fact that our wr's for better and faster than their db's, didn't try to force the run, ran when it was good for us. I don't think he called a perfect game but nobody does...I will say this (since I'm in the red anyway) I've been blaming KW for losses and guess what...KW wasn't calling plays and wouldn't you know it we actually won a BCS bowl game. Shocker, I know.

I'm looking forward to Landry running Josh's offense next season. I think we have a real shot at being preseason #1 or #2...preseason #1 would almost be a lock if all our underclassmen stay in school.

Here's to #8 in 2011!! BOOMER!!

stoopified
1/2/2011, 11:03 AM
Rolled up 524 offensive yards and 34 points(offensively),I'm a happy camper.

delhalew
1/2/2011, 11:11 AM
My favorite thing was a couple more long TD strikes over the top were attempted. Don't know why Wilson wouldn't do that more than once a game.

bigfatjerk
1/2/2011, 11:14 AM
I like how we threw the ball down the field a little more. At least that's what it seemed like to me. We still used the short passing game a lot but we were really able to throw the ball deep more than we did a lot of this year.

JLEW1818
1/2/2011, 11:14 AM
well, looks like Josh is the man for next year.

OUTrumpet
1/2/2011, 11:32 AM
concerned a little about the non use of run game in general

FIFY

btk108
1/2/2011, 11:34 AM
well, looks like JOSH IS THE MAN!

FIFY ;)

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2011, 11:36 AM
Josh used the run about as much as could be effective. We don't run block well and Uconn defends it pretty well. A new person calling plays ain't going to fix it - improving the run game is a next season task.

btb916
1/2/2011, 11:40 AM
These jokes about firing Heupel are as lame as people complaining about Wilson. Get a new schtick people.

MR2-Sooner86
1/2/2011, 11:43 AM
Fire btb916.

btk108
1/2/2011, 11:44 AM
Fire btb916.

hehehehheheh.....I'm in

btb916
1/2/2011, 11:54 AM
You can't fire me...I'm the boss. :D

Jacie
1/2/2011, 12:05 PM

In the history of trophies, that has to be the gaudiest-looking ever!

And I missed hearing what award was that little gold football for?

As for Josh, he got the perfect game to do his first OC play-calling job. UConn 2010 is about on par with Baylor. They probably could have beaten the 2010 whorns but would have struggled to hang with the rest of the South Division. Josh will do as he always does, improve . . .

TUSooner
1/2/2011, 12:12 PM
But he called too many flanker screens (even 1 is too many). :mad: :D

MR2-Sooner86
1/2/2011, 12:37 PM
Don't forget that fumble to Jones. I don't know why he called that.

boomermagic
1/2/2011, 12:43 PM
These jokes about firing Heupel are as lame as people complaining about Wilson. Get a new schtick people.

I think Josh did fine especially for his first time calling plays as an OC.. Do I think he knows more and is better than Wilson ? No, not at this point and I don't think Bob thinks that or Josh would have been doing Wilson's job a long time ago.. The only call I questioned was a third and one pass play call I thought why not run it and get a FD but hell if it had went for a touchdown myself or no one else would question that play.. Wilson was NEVER Our national Championship qb so that's why so many Sooner fans think and hope Josh will be a success.. As a Sooner fan i hope so too but I think Wilson is a very VERY good offensive coach and Josh is a guy who has done well as a qb's coach and we all hope and EXPECT big things from.. GO JOSH..

slh1234
1/2/2011, 12:50 PM
I don't see a coordinator's job as play by play success, but rather overall success in the game. It seems that some play aren't successful if you count yards gained on that particular play, but they set up something else, or give the D something else they have to consider, thus opening up another angle.

Overall, it was a very successful game for Josh. The plan didn't use Millard, but I can't argue with the success on the game level. Good job.

OUmillenium
1/2/2011, 02:10 PM
Yes, I thought Josh used the run just enought to "keep em honest" on D. And didnt throw out the passing playbook inside the 10 yd line. He will be the man.

Adios KW.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2011, 02:15 PM
I saw this game as Josh calling plays on KW's offense. I was very impressed with Josh because the plays seemed to flow and it didn't seem too predictable. It was a tough test - our offense is probably one of the toughest for play calling of all teams. Just imagine the pace and having to come up with something in about 5 seconds and it's your first time and it's a BCS bowl game - no pressure.

Next year will be Josh's offense or the Josh/Jay offense with Josh doing the play calling. It's going to be interesting (and exciting, IMO).

Soonermagik
1/2/2011, 02:17 PM
He did an amazing job. Haters can **** off.

OUTrumpet
1/2/2011, 02:48 PM
In the history of trophies, that has to be the gaudiest-looking ever!

And I missed hearing what award was that little gold football for?

As for Josh, he got the perfect game to do his first OC play-calling job. UConn 2010 is about on par with Baylor. They probably could have beaten the 2010 whorns but would have struggled to hang with the rest of the South Division. Josh will do as he always does, improve . . .

Little gold football was for Fiesta Bowl MVP - Landry Jones.

Leroy Lizard
1/2/2011, 03:05 PM
I think Josh did fine especially for his first time calling plays as an OC.. Do I think he knows more and is better than Wilson ? No, not at this point and I don't think Bob thinks that or Josh would have been doing Wilson's job a long time ago.. The only call I questioned was a third and one pass play call I thought why not run it and get a FD but hell if it had went for a touchdown myself or no one else would question that play.. Wilson was NEVER Our national Championship qb so that's why so many Sooner fans think and hope Josh will be a success.. As a Sooner fan i hope so too but I think Wilson is a very VERY good offensive coach and Josh is a guy who has done well as a qb's coach and we all hope and EXPECT big things from.. GO JOSH..

On target.

northspeter
1/2/2011, 08:40 PM
i read on one of the tulsa world game notes that millard was either sick or had a slight injury that kept him out of the gameplan...

wishbonesooner
1/2/2011, 08:49 PM
I liked not seeing a lot of 3rd and 8's, from Wilson's customary runs up the middle on 1st and 2nd down.

soonerbub
1/2/2011, 09:13 PM
Most points in a bowl game since Cale lit up Virginia

OU_Sooners75
1/2/2011, 09:23 PM
We didn't use Millard and we won. You must get a lot of stomach ulcers :(

Yes we won and it was nice.

What wasnt nice to see was a very good talent not utilized at all.

Did we need him, obviously not, but why keep that option at bay? Why not use your entire arsenal?

silverwheels
1/2/2011, 09:24 PM
Most points in a bowl game since Cale lit up Virginia

Although 14 of those came from the defense.

I thought he did a good job. Wasn't too dissimilar from Wilson, but it wasn't bad for his first game.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2011, 09:25 PM
Yes we won and it was nice.

What wasnt nice to see was a very good talent not utilized at all.

Did we need him, obviously not, but why keep that option at bay? Why not use your entire arsenal?

Because that is exactly what you were expecting - gotta keep you on your toes.

OU_Sooners75
1/2/2011, 09:35 PM
Because that is exactly what you were expecting - gotta keep you on your toes.

I know u are being sarcastic, but unless there was a very good reason keeping him on the sidelines, it would be pretty stupid to not use him.

That would be like Chuck Long forgetting about NFL caliber FB JD Runnels was on his team!

King Barry's Back
1/3/2011, 10:52 AM
Damn we won and scored 34 and could have had 50 and people are complaining?

Of course we're complaining. "Could have had 50" and only got "34" does not a happy camper make. :rolleyes:

stoops the eternal pimp
1/3/2011, 10:55 AM
people make too much out of the Diamond formation....its very limited and its just a formation.....

TXBOOMER
1/3/2011, 10:57 AM
Hard to evaluate against UCONN. They are average at best. We shall see next year. Barring injuries we will have more talent on the field than anyone we face.

OUmillenium
1/3/2011, 10:58 AM
Yes(people make too much out of the Diamond formation....its very limited and its just a formation.....), and probably not as effective without Finch as a part of it. Madu can do some things but major fumble risk.

FirstandGoal
1/3/2011, 11:05 AM
people make too much out of the Diamond formation....its very limited and its just a formation.....

Agree. Diamond only good with both Finch/Murray on the field. Since Finch was out, it made so sense to use it.

SoonerNutt
1/3/2011, 11:25 AM

That was my thought when I heard Finch was hurt. Good-bye Diamond!

You could run it with Murray and Madu, but why would you put your only two good RBs on the field at the same time? What if they both got hurt?

Plus, we didn't need gimmick's to beat UConn. We played them straight up, and dominated. Our WR's were too good for them to cover, and Landry put up a record performance against them.

Why get cute, just execute?

texaspokieokie
1/3/2011, 11:28 AM
i didn't like all plays called,but i know enuff to know that i'm not qualified to
criticize.

Okie35
1/3/2011, 11:33 AM
i didn't like all plays called,but i know enuff to know that i'm not qualified to
criticize.

I like how we kept it simple we really didn't need to do more than just line up against Uconn.

ouleaf
1/3/2011, 11:48 AM
Thought Josh did a commendable job his first time out. Liked that we seemed to take a few more deep shots down the field. Didn't seem to do that as much under Wilson with Landry at QB. Hell of a game by the WR corp. Landy's accuracy was a little bit off at times, but other than that I thought it was a pretty well called game.

boomermagic
1/3/2011, 11:58 AM

Bingo !

Jello Biafra
1/3/2011, 12:12 PM
anyone ever heard of a kid named brennan clay?

Sooner91ATL
1/3/2011, 12:35 PM
Madu was hurt and may have been why we didn't go diamond. Clay not ready yet, reading between the lines last few weeks - he has been fourth back behind Madu.

Millard is a stud, but has had the dropsies lately. Gameplan clearly didn't call for passes to the FB or short handoffs goalline.

I think Heupel was hamstrung a little in this game. First game out of the chute is a BCS bowl. Bob likely told him to keep it vanilla, stick with the basic offense.

Next year I bet we see more wide-open downfield passing, because this is what Josh loves. Read the stories about his recruitment by Leach - he wanted to be in his offense. We will have the personnel to do this. Good receivers and a good QB. OLine will never be a big power blocking force with this lineup, but they are pretty good at pass pro. And one super quick scatback in the style of Q for all those screens, Utah passes, and delays.

It's gonna be sweet. More finesse I bet than we are used to, but sweet nonetheless. Landy may pass for 5,500 yards next season.

boomermagic
1/3/2011, 12:43 PM
Madu was hurt and may have been why we didn't go diamond. Clay not ready yet, reading between the lines last few weeks - he has been fourth back behind Madu.

Millard is a stud, but has had the dropsies lately. Gameplan clearly didn't call for passes to the FB or short handoffs goalline.

I think Heupel was hamstrung a little in this game. First game out of the chute is a BCS bowl. Bob likely told him to keep it vanilla, stick with the basic offense.

Next year I bet we see more wide-open downfield passing, because this is what Josh loves. Read the stories about his recruitment by Leach - he wanted to be in his offense. We will have the personnel to do this. Good receivers and a good QB. OLine will never be a big power blocking force with this lineup, but they are pretty good at pass pro. And one super quick scatback in the style of Q for all those screens, Utah passes, and delays.

It's gonna be sweet. More finesse I bet than we are used to, but sweet nonetheless. Landy may pass for 5,500 yards next season.

Not sure we will see very much change at all because Long and Wilson both ran Bob Stoops' offense {What Bob wants} so I don't expect much change and I don't think we need a big change at all. Stoops will dictate what changes he wants if any.. I don't think Bob had a problem with Wilson's play calling..

sooner518
1/3/2011, 12:44 PM
I like how we kept it simple we really didn't need to do more than just line up against Uconn.

seems like people have killed KW for that very attitude (some call it arrogance, others call it vanilla, generally when we lose) the past few years.

Jello Biafra
1/3/2011, 12:44 PM
OLine will never be a big power blocking force with this lineup, but they are pretty good at pass pro.

totally disagree with this statement.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2011, 01:45 PM
Thought Josh did a commendable job his first time out. Liked that we seemed to take a few more deep shots down the field. Didn't seem to do that as much under Wilson with Landry at QB.

Gee, I wonder if UConn's slower secondary had anything to do with that.

PalmBeachSooner
1/3/2011, 01:51 PM

Did we win the Cirque Du Soleil Bowl?

TheHumanAlphabet
1/3/2011, 01:52 PM
Heupel looked quite methodical in his charting of plays, seemed even tempered when on TV shots. Like the play calling and he seemed to have Uconn dialed in.

Didn't know Madu was hurt until Sunday reading the paper, great work Espin. I would have liked to see more fullback, but then I am partial to fullback's involvement in the game... Uconn seemed to stack the box and prevented some plays from working, so we find a weakness and exploited.

Congrats to Heupel for a good game calling plays.

Aldebaran
1/3/2011, 01:55 PM
:gary:

Midtowner
1/3/2011, 02:01 PM
OU won. 48-20. Hard to criticize any coaching job in a win like that.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2011, 02:43 PM
OU won. 48-20. Hard to criticize any coaching job in a win like that.

You must be new around here.

bigfatjerk
1/3/2011, 03:20 PM
The only thing we have to be critical of with anyone right now is kick off coverage and kickoff returns. We stunk in both of those areas this year.

MeMyself&Me
1/3/2011, 03:28 PM
If people are bringing up Clay and Madu in a complaint that we could have still run the diamond formation, you're missing the point. That formation was to get Murray, Millard, and Finch in the backfield at the same time, not to get just any people in the backfield at one time. It's just a formation that didn't suit what we had available that night.

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2011, 03:59 PM
Do we run it next year?

Jello Biafra
1/3/2011, 04:05 PM
Do we run it next year?

why not? plug n play sytem.

KantoSooner
1/3/2011, 04:26 PM
We'll have Finch, and Millard....and then Clay? Calhoun? Depends on how folks look over the summer, but yeah, They'll probably run it some.

bigfatjerk
1/3/2011, 04:27 PM
We'll have Finch, and Millard....and then Clay? Calhoun? Depends on how folks look over the summer, but yeah, They'll probably run it some.

How about Jonathan Miller. I liked what I saw from him in the few late game snaps he got.

jmillerfan
1/3/2011, 10:10 PM
How about Jonathan Miller. I liked what I saw from him in the few late game snaps he got.

I liked what I saw too

MeMyself&Me
1/3/2011, 10:23 PM
Oh yeah, I don't think the diamond formation is dead. I think we're more likely to see it again than ninja for instance (despite what some have said lately). But Clay, Calhoun, and Miller didn't see meaningful playing time before Finch was hurt so I didn't expect to see them fill out the diamond formation on Saturday night either.

Next year is a new year. Someone, probably Finch, is going to be the feature guy and one of those three is going to be the 'other guy'. If it is beneficial to have one of those in the backfield with Finch and Millard at the same time then we'll see the diamond again. Heupel will do what fits our personnel I'm sure. That's been the OU offense since Stoops got here.

OK2U
1/11/2011, 12:32 PM
from Kenny Stills' twitter last night(twitter.com/kstills4):
"hahahah check this out.....http://yfrog.com/h2koxdmj"

mainline13
1/11/2011, 03:49 PM
Tho this isn't on Josh, it's disgraceful we don't have a kicker that can put the KO 5 yards deep and at least make the returner think about whether to return it or not. Having the returner line up at the goalline and then receive the ball at the 5 or 10 with a full head of steam is killing the coverage. Please, Bob, go hire a quality Special Teams coach.

If there were so many guys who could do that, to actually be disgraceful to not have one of them, then we'd be kicking from the 20. NCAA (i.e., TV) wants excitement, and returns are exciting.

I am not going to say that our kickoff coverage has been great, but even after you include the yardage from the TDs, the average post kickoff field position of our opponents, for the season, was inside their 30. Plus, in addition to 17 touchbacks, there were 19 runbacks that didn't go past their own 20.

Again, I'm not trying to make a case for great, or even good. But it wasn't as bad as some people seem to think, IMO. And there are damn few kickers who can consistently put it 5 yards deep from the 30. Without a tailwind, anyway.