PDA

View Full Version : Any news on Ronnell Lewis?

jadubya
1/2/2011, 12:34 AM
I am stuck in enemy territory.....any info is appreciated from the Animal, etc.

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 12:35 AM
Etown said it was a mild concussion in the Game Thread but I have no link on it....

bigfatjerk
1/2/2011, 12:35 AM
Mild concussion. This is from Toby Rowland from the sidelines of the game broadcast.

Okie35
1/2/2011, 12:36 AM
Mild concussion.

That^^^ and thank goodness.

delhalew
1/2/2011, 12:39 AM
I want to believe this, but why get him on an ambulance and rush him off to the hospital?

Okie35
1/2/2011, 12:40 AM
I want to believe this, but why get him on an ambulance and rush him off to the hospital?

Because he's always had that back problem and he got a stinger as well. He ran off the field on his own will. Then got put on the stretcher.

SunnySooner
1/2/2011, 12:41 AM
soonersports blog is reporting mild concussion as well, whew! Get well quick, Hammer!!!

SpankyNek
1/2/2011, 12:42 AM
Because he's always had that back problem and he got a stinger as well. He ran off the field on his own will. Then got put on the stretcher.

Being an NFL stadium, I bet that they have a set protocol for athletic events that take place in their building. My guess is that XRays were negative and they were following up with CT/MRIs.

gaylordfan1
1/2/2011, 12:43 AM
Since when do they cart off a concussion? I see being cautious ... But they were stabilizing his C-Spine.

SpankyNek
1/2/2011, 12:45 AM
Since when do they cart off a concussion? I see being cautious ... But they were stabilizing his C-Spine.

They do this for all severe concussions as far as I can recollect.

Remember Brennan Clay early in the season?

Sooner_Tuf
1/2/2011, 12:46 AM
Get Well Soon Ronnell!

delhalew
1/2/2011, 12:48 AM
I was relieved to see him walk off, but confused by the ambulance.

stoopified
1/2/2011, 12:51 AM
I think it best to keep THE HAMMER in your prayers

jadubya
The cart didn't bother me as much as the mouthbreathing nimrod sideline reporter, Heather Cox, sounding like she was really shaken up when relaying the news to the crew up in the booth @ ESPN. Good news though.....man it is a great time to be a Sooner in Austin, Texas.

Okie35
They do this for all severe concussions as far as I can recollect.

Remember Brennan Clay early in the season?

Yup its standard procedures now.

VA Sooner
1/2/2011, 12:54 AM
He was having problems walking a straight line off the field while he was holding his neck and stretching it or shaking out the cobwebs. Best to tape him to a board and get him checked out neurologically to make sure no permanent damage.

Missed him in the game though... see how soft the middle was in the second half. Reminded me of the Mizzou and A&M game... briefly. Wort played better and better as the half went on. Saved that near TD run at the end.

Section 9
1/2/2011, 01:21 AM
They said on the radio broadcast that they took him to the hospital because they didn't have the machine they needed at the stadium.

SoTxSooner85
1/2/2011, 01:54 AM
The diagnostic machines at the stadium will expode if you put steel in them.

Thus the Hammer was taken to a secret location not far from Area 51 where they have special kryptonite free MRI's and can be used with any known metal.

sOUnder
1/2/2011, 03:47 AM
From the Norman Transcript:

http://normantranscript.com/sports/x879866503/OU-Notepad-Lewis-concussion-not-severe

January 2, 2011

OU Notepad: Lewis’ concussion not severe
Anonymous The Norman Transcript The Norman Transcript Sun Jan 02, 2011, 01:34 AM CST

GLENDALE, Ariz. — Oklahoma defensive end Ronnell Lewis suffered a “mild concussion” Saturday night, but the injury looked much scarier than it turned out to be.

Lewis was taken to the locker room on a cart midway through the third quarter after suffering a neck injury while blocking when OU was returning a kickoff with about 9 minutes left in the third quarter. Lewis walked off the field after the play, but immediately began talking to members of the Sooners’ medical staff.

After several minutes, Lewis was immobilized on a board before being taken to the locker room. Before the end of the third quarter, Lewis was taken to a local hospital in Glendale, Ariz., before the third quarter had ended.

It wasn’t until Lewis got to the hospital that it was revealed to be less severe.

Lewis, a sophomore, had two tackles, including a sack, Saturday night.

Jones starts hot

One of the biggest reasons Oklahoma got off to such a hot start in the Fiesta Bowl was quarterback Landry Jones. The sophomore completed his first 12 passes with the sixth going for an 8-yard touchdown to tight end James Hanna.

Jones, who has had several double-digit completion streaks throughout the season, hasn’t been known for his hot starts. He was sluggish in the first quarter in the previous three games.

The completion streak reached 12 before Jones’ 13th pass went right into the hands of Connecticut cornerback Dwayne Gratz and returned 46 yards for a touchdown.

No changes

Josh Heupel’s first game as offensive coordinator looked a lot like Kevin Wilson’s last one. The Sooners relied heavily on Jones, but mixed the running game in effectively. DeMarco Murray rushed for 93 yards and a touchdown.

OU also maintained a season-long trend of starting fast. OU scored touchdowns on its first two possessions. It marked the seventh time this season OU scored on its first drive. The Fiesta Bowl, however, was the first time it had happened since Nov. 13 against Texas Tech.

Kenney closes

OU wide receiver Cameron Kenney, who closed the regular season with big games against Oklahoma State and Nebraska, picked right up where he left off in the Fiesta Bowl.

The senior had seven catches for 154 yards in the game. It was the third-straight game Kenney had at least six catches and at least one touchdown.

Honoring Howard

Connecticut receiver Kashif Moore switched from No. 82 to No. 6 in honor of former Connecticut teammate Jasper Howard. Howard was murdered in October of 2009. Moore was with Howard when he was stabbed, holding him until paramedics arrived.

Connecticut coach Randy Edsall said the number will be reserved for a future player who shows the character and spirit embodied by Howard.

Clean game

After five-week breaks, most bowl teams are sloppy when they return to the field and the games are usually plagued by penalties. That wasn’t the case in the Fiesta Bowl.

OU had just one penalty for 3 yards in the game. The Huskies were flagged three times for 25 yards.

Returns keep hurting

The 95-yard kickoff return OU gave up to Connecticut’s Robbie Frey early in the third quarter marked the fourth kickoff return the Sooners have allowed this season and the ninth they’ve allowed in the last three seasons.

Warm in, cold out

The temperature at kickoff was 44 degrees. It was the lowest temperature at kickoff for a Fiesta Bowl since Jan. 2, 2000 when the game was played at Sun Devil Stadium. That is an outdoor stadium.

The inside temperature at University of Phoenix Stadium was 60 degrees.

Bad hands

The Sooners dropped two potential interceptions that could have resulted in touchdowns. Linebacker Travis Lewis let one slip through his hands late in the second quarter. Early in the third quarter, Demontre Hurst dropped one.

OU made up for it later when Jamell Fleming snagged a pass off of Connecticut receiver Michael Smith’s shoulder pads and returned it 55 yards for a touchdown, and Tony Jefferson returned another 22 yards for a touchdown late in the game.

John Shinn 366-3536 [email protected]

Sooner_Tuf
1/2/2011, 04:18 AM
Thanks sOUnder, lots of good info in that report.

zeke
1/2/2011, 07:59 AM
Hope that it is just a mild concussion!

Get well Hammer!

tulsaoilerfan
1/2/2011, 12:20 PM
Thank god he's got 9 months till we need him again