PDA

View Full Version : If I'm not mistaken...

Eielson
1/2/2011, 12:30 AM
Landry Jones just threw for 4722 yards this season. Sam Bradford threw for 4720 yards his Sophomore season.

Eielson
1/2/2011, 12:31 AM
That would give him the single-season passing record, correct?

gaylordfan1
1/2/2011, 12:33 AM
Sports Animal said no.

Okie35
1/2/2011, 12:33 AM
LJ has been breaking records the past two years.

Eielson
1/2/2011, 12:36 AM
Sports Animal said no.

I've been looking into this, and I'm fairly confident that he did.

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/recordbook/player/pass_season.cfm

That shows the record at 4,720 yards by Sam Bradford. Landry Jones came into the game with 4,289 yards and then threw for 433 yards tonight.

4,289+433=4,722

4,722>4,720

Collier11
1/2/2011, 12:37 AM
Landry had 429 tonight

SoonerGrant
1/2/2011, 12:38 AM
ESPN has Landry at 429 yards.

Eielson
1/2/2011, 12:39 AM
Oh, ESPN just corrected it. They had him at 50 pass attempts and 433 yards. Now they have him at 49 pass attempts and 429 yards.

ocsooner
1/2/2011, 12:41 AM
Still, to come that close to King Sam. I'm betting we have Landry for 2 more years.

He actually looked really good tonight - going through progressions, not staring down his receiver... There were some bad throws, but the rest of them were dead on.

gaylordfan1
1/2/2011, 12:41 AM
Its close enough for me!

SoonerGrant
1/2/2011, 12:42 AM
Yea, so close Landry! But got the WIN!

Collier11
1/2/2011, 12:43 AM
Landry now 19-5 as the starter, 2-0 in Bowls, a BCS game MVP and win, and a Conf Title

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 12:44 AM
ANYONE LISTENING TO WHAT THE ANIMAL HAS TO SAY NEEDS TO GET A CROWBAR AND TAKE TO THEIR RADIO LIKE YOU'D GO AFTER A KING COBRA IN A BARREL WITH YOU IN IT.

ocsooner
1/2/2011, 12:47 AM
ANYONE LISTENING TO WHAT THE ANIMAL HAS TO SAY NEEDS TO GET A CROWBAR AND TAKE TO THEIR RADIO LIKE YOU'D GO AFTER A KING COBRA IN A BARREL WITH YOU IN IT.

I have stopped listening to them a long time ago. Sounds like I don't want to know what they were saying either...

gaylordfan1
1/2/2011, 12:47 AM

Solution to this problem... No Crowbar needed. Just turn off the radio! :D

Eielson
1/2/2011, 12:49 AM
If Landry doesn't get injured like Sam did, I expect him to run away with just about every career passing record at OU. It's incredible how much hate he gets. He's had 5 or 6 awful, inexcusable plays this year, but other than that he's been the best passer in the country.

VA Sooner
1/2/2011, 12:58 AM
Within two yards of King Sam. Not bad...

3rdgensooner
1/2/2011, 01:49 AM
I have to catch myself sometimes while watching Landry. I get agitated with him but I'm not sure why. He has put up ridiculous numbers.

Good job Mr. Jones. Thanks for bringing home the win.

Collier11
1/2/2011, 01:56 AM
I think a lot of fans (not necessarily you) take Jones docile manner as him not caring and thats what agitates them

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 01:57 AM
KILL YOUR RADIOS! DO NOT BE FOOLED ! :D

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2011, 02:03 AM
LJ is not Sam, but Sam was a generational player - surpassing Peyton Manning's rookie numbers is confirming that. But how many teams in all of CFB would not happily trade their QB for LJ?

Eielson
1/2/2011, 02:10 AM
But how many teams in all of CFB would not happily trade their QB for LJ?

Well, LJ's pretty good, but he's no Brandon Weeden. :P

Seamus
1/2/2011, 02:58 AM
If Landry doesn't get injured like Sam did, I expect him to run away with just about every career passing record at OU. It's incredible how much hate he gets. He's had 5 or 6 awful, inexcusable plays this year, but other than that he's been the best passer in the country.

I call it the Hybl Syndrome.

OU fans are unreasonable, and if you are the quarterback that follows a Sooner legend, you are screwed. Being good or even great -- like Landry -- just isn't good enough. He will have to exceed Sam's legacy in some way to make OU fans forgive him for not being Sam.

I'm guessing that can only be achieved by winning the Heisman, or national title, or both.

sooner59
1/2/2011, 03:17 AM
Landry is very good QB. Some Sooner fans want perfection. Jason White progressed, but his career ended badly in a game that never happened. Sam was probably as close to perfect as a QB can be, in all honesty. But his career didn't end like he would have wanted. But we are all glad he healed up and is at the point that he is in the NFL now. Landry...even with all of his bone-headed plays over the past 2 years, may re-write the record books at OU, especially if he comes back for a 4th year. With the guys we have coming back, we have a chance at the next 2 MNCs. Landry has a chance to become OU's greatest QB of all time. He sure as hell isn't there yet, but I'll be damned if I ain't rooting for him. Boomer!

Sooner_Tuf
1/2/2011, 03:57 AM

Because you can get such a big swing inside a barrel?

Makes for an interesting picture though :P

biscuitralph
1/2/2011, 07:09 AM
It's hard as a Sam-sonite to like Landry, but I have to admit as the season unwound he along with others grew in big ways. Now it's his team not Sam's after lst nights performance I say "Go Landry shore up a few bad spots and kick some tails" (mainly whorns tail)

pappy
1/2/2011, 08:54 AM
Landry is a lot better than people want to give him credit for...he played a great game and had a great season and he's 2-0 in bowl games. that pass he threw to broyles on that ridiculous td catch was perfection. If his pass is off by an inch or 2 its incomplete, if he doesn't put the heat on it that he did its incomplete.

I'm looking forward to him running Josh's offense next season.

SunnySooner
1/2/2011, 09:08 AM
We are beyond lucky to have Landry, and as long as we keep Bob and Joshie on staff, I think we'll continue to recruit and develop great QBs. It's no accident that Bob has won the Big 12 with 197 different QBs, all of differing skills and abilities.

Just face it, we're a quarterback school now. ;) :D

One4OU
1/2/2011, 11:09 AM
I don't think that anyone questions that Landry has a canon for an arm and that at times he can throw a laser beam of perfection. While he is still young which is forgotten a lot of the time, he makes some silly mistakes with bad interceptions and both bad throws and From time to time it seems we can't get into a rythem. He is good and is going to get a lot better.

1890MilesToNorman
1/2/2011, 11:15 AM
Landry is good, he just doesn't get the same respect following in the shoes of Sam Bradford!!

OUChampsBig12
1/2/2011, 11:23 AM
Landry will play on Sunday's - the kid is really good too!

waynepayne
1/2/2011, 12:09 PM
I have to catch myself sometimes while watching Landry. I get agitated with him but I'm not sure why. He has put up ridiculous numbers.

Good job Mr. Jones. Thanks for bringing home the win.

I totally agree with you 3g. I find myself reacting to an errant throw of Landry's with $#@&^% when with Sam I would have just been like eh.

I guess in 08 we were so dominant I knew a couple of bad plays and such wouldnt kill us when this season I wasnt so sure.