PDA

View Full Version : heupel

lasooner123
1/1/2011, 10:24 PM
im very impressed with his first half. i think we look well prepared. i like the new fast tempo. i know we always get to the line fast but we are actually hiking the ball quickly. i think getting to the line of scrimmage and looking at the sideline allows the defense to regroup. i like this new wrinkle that we havent run much. it looks more like leaches offense. more slants. more middle of the field. i like it beter than lateral offense only.

good job josh!

cant wait to see next year

landry also looks more comfortable. dont know if that has to with josh at o-coord.

Collier11
1/2/2011, 12:39 AM
Looked a lot like a Kevin Wilson called game to me, but im sure many of you will talk about how Heupel called a perfect game :D

nisakat2
1/2/2011, 12:46 AM
new fast tempo?????

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2011, 12:50 AM
I thought Heupel threw down field more than I would have expected KW to. The other big difference I saw was very few pass attempts to DM. I don't know if that was Josh or just the game plan due to Uconn's scheme. I was a bit bummed about that for selfish reasons - I wanted to see DeMarco get a couple chances in space one last time. I think the Uconn D staff did a better job on halftime adjustments than Josh/Jay did on offense and the O didn't move the ball that well in the 3rd. We looked better in the 4th. Overall, I thought a great start for the Josh & Jay show.

tcrb
1/2/2011, 12:51 AM
Looked a lot like a Kevin Wilson called game to me, but im sure many of you will talk about how Heupel called a perfect game :D

Josh called a perfect game! ;)

VA Sooner
1/2/2011, 12:52 AM
UConnn defense made a lot of halftime adjustments, I give them credit.

But our defense rose to the occasion... did not allow a single offensive TD the entire game and held them on all three fourth and goals, including two goalline stands.

Great team effort, great game called by Heupel. Will be enjoying this off-season.

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 12:53 AM

No reason to think Josh would have changed up to much. He's from Good Solid Coaching Stock and has been the QB Coach. He know's what the Offense is capable of. I think he really had Landry ready and comfortable for the start of this game. As the game went on...Landry really seemed to take the leadership role over.

I don't think Bob will replace Josh and Josh will be our new OC.

MR2-Sooner86
1/2/2011, 12:53 AM
I think his *** needs to be fired.

ocsooner
1/2/2011, 12:55 AM
I hope we get the chance to call for his job for many years before he gets snatched up by some other school as a Head Coach.

Joe
1/2/2011, 12:56 AM
Tons of Shotgun/Pistol 1 back sets tonight. That was the main difference I saw tonight. Made for a lot less Millard. That we would run out of it took UConn by surprise in the 1st Q and DM had a 6+ average. Then they adjusted to it and it slowed us up a lot in the 2nd Q.

Collier11
1/2/2011, 12:57 AM
I hope we get the chance to call for his job for many years before he gets snatched up by some other school as a Head Coach.

Already talk that he might follow Stoops, hopefully its a long way down the road though

Collier11
1/2/2011, 01:18 AM
seemed to be a lot less of the meerkat which I liked

Sooner-N-KS
1/2/2011, 01:40 AM
im very impressed with his first half.

2nd half he was playing conservative per Stoops orders to milk the clock. He has done that with all of his OC's.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2011, 01:45 AM
2nd half he was playing conservative per Stoops orders to milk the clock. He has done that with all of his OC's.

I can't believe that was the case coming out of halftime with only a 10 point lead. I think Uconn made some nice adjustments at half and gave us some real problems for a few series. We seemed to counter adjust and start moving the ball better after that.

goingoneight
1/2/2011, 01:50 AM
seemed to be a lot less of the meerkat which I liked

UCONN didn't really change their coverages or blitz packages much, so there isn't gonna be much confusion (aka "meerkat"/changing the play). And it's not like they were rattling OUr OL or QB either.

btb916
1/2/2011, 02:28 AM
I thought Heupel threw down field more than I would have expected KW to. The other big difference I saw was very few pass attempts to DM. I don't know if that was Josh or just the game plan due to Uconn's scheme. I was a bit bummed about that for selfish reasons - I wanted to see DeMarco get a couple chances in space one last time. I think the Uconn D staff did a better job on halftime adjustments than Josh/Jay did on offense and the O didn't move the ball that well in the 3rd. We looked better in the 4th. Overall, I thought a great start for the Josh & Jay show.

Millard was also used less. But w/r/t Murray--he went out doing what he's supposed to, running like a champ!

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2011, 02:34 AM
Millard was also used less. But w/r/t Murray--he went out doing what he's supposed to, running like a champ!

Agreed, DM ran hard tonight. I just wanted to see one more of those plays where he catches the ball in space and starts lining up the defenders like chess pieces as he dodges them downfield. He had one chance in the flat tonight where the defense lost track of him, but unfortunately, LJ made one of his few poor passes and missed him. Like I said, it's not a gripe on the play calling, i just wanted to see it one more time. I don't see us replacing that part of DM's game very easily.

85sooners
1/2/2011, 02:52 AM
Dm is good

MR2-Sooner86
1/2/2011, 02:52 AM
Dm is god

Yup.

Leroy Lizard
1/2/2011, 03:33 AM
If KW had called this game we would be nitpicking the ever-loving **** out of his playcalling. "Where's Millard!?!? Why no throws to Murray?!?! What happened to the diamond?!?!? Why do we have to kick FGs?!?!"

Having said that, Heupel did a nice job.

UHS-SoonerFan
1/2/2011, 06:22 AM
I was sad to see less of the diamond, but I think that mostly had to do with Finch being out. He seems to complete the set. They seemed to have good protection on Murray the one or two times we threw to him, so maybe thats why we chose to avoid that. Other than that, it seemed like the same old offense. Except that they had 0 penalties! :D

ouwino
1/2/2011, 07:06 AM
seems to me that we slowed our pace down on offense??? not that i object or anything. slowing it down allows us to do a better job of clock management. all in all, i thought Josh did a good job. got a win in his first time at calling plays. it will be interesting to see what kind of "stamp" josh puts on this offense next year.

josh is gonna do a good job.

East Coast Bias
1/2/2011, 08:37 AM
I thought we threw the ball more on third and one and third and two than we normally do, maybe that was part of the game plan? You see that more in the Pro's. KW obviously had good results with that approach..

ARCO IRIS
1/2/2011, 09:04 AM

Not to defend Sooner coaches who often do not make good half-time adjustments, I have noticed that as a rule the best half-time adjustments come from teams that have struggled in the first half. IOW if it ain't broke don't fix it just keep doing it.

Sooner-N-KS
1/2/2011, 09:53 AM
I can't believe that was the case coming out of halftime with only a 10 point lead. I think Uconn made some nice adjustments at half and gave us some real problems for a few series. We seemed to counter adjust and start moving the ball better after that.

It happens to us all the time! There's a pattern there.

swardboy
1/2/2011, 10:22 AM
I'm going to be very happy with Josh in the OC saddle I think. Must have been a reason for no Millard. My only gripe is too.much.lateral. passing.