PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Urban Meyer on what he did...

StoopTroup
1/1/2011, 05:23 PM
The Game Ball Ahmad Black and him gave to the guy at the end of the Press Conference was pretty cool.

Sooner_Tuf
1/1/2011, 05:30 PM
I was sure you were going to say for bringing mental illness out into the light. Dude is so dramatic I will actually be surprised if I don't see a new Urban Meyer Barbie next time I'm in Wal Mart.

StoopTroup
1/1/2011, 05:33 PM
I was sure you were going to say for bringing mental illness out into the light. Dude is so dramatic I will actually be surprised if I don't see a new Urban Meyer Barbie next time I'm in Wal Mart.

lol....Yeah...he seems to go overboard sometimes but they pulled off one of those "Do it for Little Johnny" Moments and it was cool to see them give the guy some time at the mic. Guy looked really touched that they did that for him.

Leroy Lizard
1/1/2011, 06:26 PM
I never understood the Urban hate. Seems like a pretty good guy, with cute daughters and a hot wife.

StoopTroup
1/1/2011, 06:28 PM
I don't care for the guy at all....but what happened in this case was a really cool thing to do....

Piware
1/1/2011, 06:32 PM
I also appreciate the shout out to OUr Sooners.

3rdgensooner
1/1/2011, 06:35 PM
For those of us that missed it, what happened?

XingTheRubicon
1/1/2011, 06:37 PM
I never understood the Urban hate. Seems like a pretty good guy, with cute daughters and a hot wife.

He beat OU.

I kind of like him, and Saban. Winners are interesting.

sperry
1/1/2011, 06:37 PM
Yeah, the original post didn't exactly explain it.

I also don't understand the Urban hate. I guess every coach/ team that has beat us will be reviled by the fans, but teams that we've owned, like Nebrasky, will get lauded as a "classy" program.

Okie35
1/1/2011, 06:39 PM
I also appreciate the shout out to OUr Sooners.

When?

Sooner-N-KS
1/1/2011, 06:42 PM

I respected him until he undid his resignation.

He went out and told everyone that he did it for his family. His family decided it. Then he went to practice and changed his mind while leaving his family in the dark.

StoopTroup
1/1/2011, 06:56 PM
For those of us that missed it, what happened?

There was a Football Player from Florida that had had Brain Surgery and it appeared his head and right side of his face had gone under some tremendous surgical trauma. Evidently Meyer and Black had spoken with him prior to the game and told him they were gonna do everything they could to win in honor of him. At the Post Game Presser Meyer asked Ahmad Black to present the guy with the Game Played Ball that Ahmad had taken 80 yards for a TD. Ahmad spoke for a few seconds about it and then they let the guy talk for a bit about how much he appreciated them for their gift to him.

Just thought it was a cool thing to do.

pappy
1/1/2011, 06:59 PM
That's classy...gotta respect that.

soonervegas
1/1/2011, 07:03 PM
I am just curious as to what team he will be coaching for in 2012.

OUinFLA
1/1/2011, 07:07 PM
Michigan might have an opening

47Wins
1/1/2011, 07:33 PM
What was the shout out to OU?

jthomasou78
1/2/2011, 12:21 AM
The kid lives here in NW Florida in Navarre, not far from where Roy Finch played ball. He had a tumor in the brain several years ago, and rehabed to the point he could play football as a Senior this year. A few weeks into the season he had some tests done and the tumor came back. On his last game he could play before the surgery he had a long touchdown reception to put his team into the playoffs for the first time in a long time. The team is not traditionally very strong. the kid was pretty special. Good for Meyer to recognize the kid during his last moments as a coach.

TUSooner
1/2/2011, 12:35 AM

We're still waiting...... Somebody 'splain please!

boomersooner28
1/2/2011, 01:39 AM
I'm SO confused. Urban resigns from Florida stating he wants to spend time with family...fine. But ESPN is saying he might join them as a commentator and now I just saw a Bruce Feldman quote "Urban Meyer might land at Ohio State". Is Florida gonna get hammered by the NCAA and he knows it or what? Why leave that job?

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 01:41 AM
The kid lives here in NW Florida in Navarre, not far from where Roy Finch played ball. He had a tumor in the brain several years ago, and rehabed to the point he could play football as a Senior this year. A few weeks into the season he had some tests done and the tumor came back. On his last game he could play before the surgery he had a long touchdown reception to put his team into the playoffs for the first time in a long time. The team is not traditionally very strong. the kid was pretty special. Good for Meyer to recognize the kid during his last moments as a coach.

Thanks. You could tell there was more to the story as Ahmad seemed really touched by the kid. Meyer looked like he was glad to help Ahmad give the kid the Game Ball.

Leroy Lizard
1/2/2011, 01:59 AM
I respected him until he undid his resignation.

He went out and told everyone that he did it for his family. His family decided it. Then he went to practice and changed his mind while leaving his family in the dark.

None of our concern. If his family is good with it, why should we care?

sooner59
1/2/2011, 03:42 AM
He continues to ride the gators to another win.

http://memeparty.com/i/47c7b8f908922d00242bb189869ffdfe.gif

Sooner_Tuf
1/2/2011, 04:08 AM
None of our concern. If his family is good with it, why should we care?

Because we have to watch his forced tears over and over. He seems like the kind of guy that makes you put your billfold in your front pocket and cover your watch with your right hand.

I keep waiting on him to try to sell me a Kirby Vacuum Cleaner or maybe some House Siding.

Piware
1/2/2011, 04:17 AM

He said it was the toughest defense they had played since they played OU.

Leroy Lizard
1/2/2011, 04:33 AM
Because we have to watch his forced tears over and over. He seems like the kind of guy that makes you put your billfold in your front pocket and cover your watch with your right hand.

I keep waiting on him to try to sell me a Kirby Vacuum Cleaner or maybe some House Siding.

:rolleyes:

John Kochtoston
1/2/2011, 07:22 AM
I'm SO confused. Urban resigns from Florida stating he wants to spend time with family...fine. But ESPN is saying he might join them as a commentator and now I just saw a Bruce Feldman quote "Urban Meyer might land at Ohio State". Is Florida gonna get hammered by the NCAA and he knows it or what? Why leave that job?

The time commitment and stress level of being a TV guy are much less than that of being a college football coach. I'm also pretty sure Ohio State's pretty well set at head coach.

BajaOklahoma
1/2/2011, 08:39 AM
The time commitment and stress level of being a TV guy are much less than that of being a college football coach.

Somewhat less.
The good TV guys have a thich book they have to study each week on the games they work. Facts to memorize, film of previous games to watch.
They travel to the game at least 24 hours (usually 48 hours) before the game, speak to the coaching staff.
Then there is the game. Can he fill in the silence appropriately and add to the game experience or will he be one of the guys we hate to watch?

I respected his first resignation, "for his family." When he immediately changed his mind, I lost respect for him. It remains to be seen if he works out on TV - I really don't care.

Scott D
1/2/2011, 10:46 AM
Somewhat less.
The good TV guys have a thich book they have to study each week on the games they work. Facts to memorize, film of previous games to watch.
They travel to the game at least 24 hours (usually 48 hours) before the game, speak to the coaching staff.
Then there is the game. Can he fill in the silence appropriately and add to the game experience or will he be one of the guys we hate to watch?

I respected his first resignation, "for his family." When he immediately changed his mind, I lost respect for him. It remains to be seen if he works out on TV - I really don't care.

I think they're looking at him more being a studio guy than a field guy. Besides, you know that Lou Holtz doesn't do much studying ;)

Scott D
1/2/2011, 10:47 AM
Michigan might have an opening

Not likely ever going to happen. He'd have to work at untraining himself from calling his employer "That School Up North."

John Kochtoston
1/2/2011, 05:11 PM
Somewhat less.

TV guys work 50-60 hours a week in season and have a six-month offseason. Plus, if they're wrong about something, they don't have to deal with donors asking "Why didnna run da bawl on third and 22?" in fact, they don't have to deal with donors at all.

College coaches work up to 100 hours a week in season and get almost no offseason (signing day is in six weeks, then it's on to spring practice). And, at Florida, the pressure to win all the time is enormous.

Leroy Lizard
1/2/2011, 07:19 PM
TV guys work 50-60 hours a week in season and have a six-month offseason. Plus, if they're wrong about something, they don't have to deal with donors asking "Why didnna run da bawl on third and 22?" in fact, they don't have to deal with donors at all.

College coaches work up to 100 hours a week in season and get almost no offseason (signing day is in six weeks, then it's on to spring practice). And, at Florida, the pressure to win all the time is enormous.

Most importantly, their jobs don't hinge on the attitudes and skill of a bunch of 20-year-old kids. Bo Schembechler once said that he felt like a pimp in the recruiting process. And once they sign on the headaches only begin. Screw that.